Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Trapezium Dave posted:

The Unsung Story update is open to non-backers too. I see they have dropped the triangle based map that was their distinguishing feature to go with standard squares.

Have they been upfront about what is going on in the company, because the other thing that is obvious is that is not where a team should be at at nearly two years.

Yeah, my favorite part of the update is them stressing that this is "a very early build". They've had the money for two years and are months overdue. They shouldn't only have a "very early build" to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

About six months ago we realized that Obduction had evolved with enough content to be a bit larger than the Kickstarter-sized experience we had planned.
Why do so many projects fall to this trap. Especially the more experienced developers, who it appears seem to fall for it harder than the newbies.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I get the impression that they would have been content to drop their plans for extra content if they couldn't find someone else to pay for it, which is the big difference between them and indie upstart #45678.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Trapezium Dave posted:

Why do so many projects fall to this trap. Especially the more experienced developers, who it appears seem to fall for it harder than the newbies.

Because now they finally have the opportunity to make the game they really wanted to make.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Trapezium Dave posted:

Beacsue they're used to having somebody there to tell them they need to make and release an actual drat game

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, VP2 is really good. The plot's complete naff but it has a lot of really strong core mechanics and actually does creative things with the level design and enemy design. I like VP1 more but VP2's one of the better JRPGs on the PS2.

The fact that combats were long and tiresome compared to VP's fights was awfully point-missing, I thought, often spawning you basically down the block from monsters and forcing you to spend several turns just getting into engagement distance. Now even that wouldn't be so bad, but grinding was practically mandatory (as opposed to VP, which limited your grinding with its time limit), and when I got to act 5 or so where I had to grind to get rare drops of a thing from a vague source to craft weapons that would just allow me fight ghosts so I could advance... nope. Having to guess which part of which enemy drops the rare thingy I need at least several of... it felt like a literal waste of my time, given the "reward" would be more of its insipid plot.

Glad you found something to enjoy, though! :v:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I get the impression that they would have been content to drop their plans for extra content if they couldn't find someone else to pay for it, which is the big difference between them and indie upstart #45678.
Except according to that update they are still chasing the chance that another publisher will swoop in and give them additional funding, even though that is at odds with their statement that they are also reducing the scope back to its original level. They can't be doing both, so it sounds like they're still in self-imposed limbo. :v:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Trapezium Dave posted:

Except according to that update they are still chasing the chance that another publisher will swoop in and give them additional funding, even though that is at odds with their statement that they are also reducing the scope back to its original level. They can't be doing both, so it sounds like they're still in self-imposed limbo. :v:

Yeah, as someone who's a big fan of the Myst series and was really looking forward to this one, I can't believe Cyan got suckered into this.

Cyan's corporate history is basically a long chain of being hosed around by publishers. That was actually one of their stated reasons for turning to crowdfunding, so that they would have complete control over the end product without a publisher to answer to.

So what's the first idea that occurs to them when they start having a scope issue? Go to a publisher. Not to mention taking them at their word before there was a signed contract in hand and scaling up production using backer funds for something they couldn't achieve. Now they're begging for a new publishing partner offering "generous terms."

It's like reading a letter from a drug addict saying that if they just get enough money for one more fix they'll go clean, they swear.

Though honestly I don't think Cyan ever truly understood Kickstarter as a platform. They've been offering pretty much radio silence to their backers for the last several months. They offer no producton updates at all to their backers as the estimated delivery date flies by, meanwhile they're giving PC World a hands-on exclusive with the game.

If one were to just go off of the Kickstarter updates feed you'd swear that they were still in the pre-production phase, with maybe a vertical slice done, but the PCWorld piece shows that they've got a fully playable game done that just needs to be finished off and tested. It's mind-boggling why they don't care to fill the backers in on that sort of progress.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

The story doesn't make sense. They moved forward with a much expanded game in a short period of time without a contract, waited for two months, then went "oh welp, sorry backers." They may be leaving some things out, like them pulling a Broken Age by having the game be too big and needing a big cash infusion just to ship the drat thing.

Also:

quote:

It’s ironic and sad that every time that Cyan has been pushed to the brink, it has been related to some unexpected move by a publisher.

Hey dudes if this keeps happening to you, maybe it's you. Myst came out in 1993, you were developing games before that, you don't get to play the excuse card anymore when you could have called up one of your senior industry friends and said "hey publisher X promised to sign a contract but it's been a month, have you heard about them having financial prob- oh, ok, thanks." Jesus Christ. I backed this game against my fears about something like this happening.

macnbc posted:

If one were to just go off of the Kickstarter updates feed you'd swear that they were still in the pre-production phase, with maybe a vertical slice done, but the PCWorld piece shows that they've got a fully playable game done that just needs to be finished off and tested. It's mind-boggling why they don't care to fill the backers in on that sort of progress.

This too, though gaming journalism 101 says to be skeptical of what mags claim. PCWorld? Did Byte not want to offer them a cover slot?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

The optimist in me says that because they spent several months developing the larger version of the game, they're hunting for a new publisher to let them make that and not put it to waste while they polish off stuff that'll be in the smaller-scope game. The realist says ha! .

macnbc posted:

Cyan's corporate history is basically a long chain of being hosed around by publishers. That was actually one of their stated reasons for turning to crowdfunding, so that they would have complete control over the end product without a publisher to answer to.

Uru was a dead-end idiocy from start to end, and that more than anything broke the company. They just pumped money into a pointless, useless project.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I am so :smugdog: right now about not having given Obduction any money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The fact that combats were long and tiresome compared to VP's fights was awfully point-missing, I thought, often spawning you basically down the block from monsters and forcing you to spend several turns just getting into engagement distance. Now even that wouldn't be so bad, but grinding was practically mandatory (as opposed to VP, which limited your grinding with its time limit), and when I got to act 5 or so where I had to grind to get rare drops of a thing from a vague source to craft weapons that would just allow me fight ghosts so I could advance... nope. Having to guess which part of which enemy drops the rare thingy I need at least several of... it felt like a literal waste of my time, given the "reward" would be more of its insipid plot.

You don't have to grind or craft a single thing to finish VP2. This is actually one of the 'problems' with the game in that there are a lot of lovely FAQs for it which recommend doing that kind of stuff despite it being completely unnecessary. There are things in the game you can get by grinding but they are not at all stuff you need. (At least not on a first playthrough. The game has a mechanic where NG+ gets harder and harder each time you beat it, which is where a lot of the mechanics go from optional to mandatory but only if you play it a few dozen times which is absurd.)

There are rare items you can get by grinding characters up to high levels before they leave your party but they are completely not mandatory, required or essential. In fact the single most game-breaking item in the game can be purchased from a regular shop in Chapter 5.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 21, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Trapezium Dave posted:

I think it is understandable when a project gets a lot more money than they planned for, but if you don't get the extra money, you really shouldn't start making your game bigger.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

MikeJF posted:

Uru was a dead-end idiocy from start to end, and that more than anything broke the company. They just pumped money into a pointless, useless project.
Sadly this is true. It broke both Cyan and the Myst (D'ni)-mythology. Although it did include some nice Ages and puzzles (and some horrible ones but let's skip that) that might have worked better in a more focused and grounded adventure game project.

I really wanted Cyan's new totally-not-myst-this-time project to succeed, but I also saw this production mess coming since the kickstarter pitch and at least I dodged that bullet (although I've been suckered in way worse kickstarter projects *ahem* Hero-U *cough*).

The weird thing was, that I visited their kickstarter page and then the new facebook page, where there was no mention of any production issues and missing their estimated date (which was this month), and literally no comments were concerned about this. Either the Obduction backers have all never backed any other project, or none of them thought that there was something fishy going on because Cyan in their mind is incapable of screwing things up(?). Which they have exclusively been doing for the past decade with their games (and DLCs with limited installations, remember those? ) and the publication terms.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Memoranda has been funded

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Oasx posted:

I think it is understandable when a project gets a lot more money than they planned for, but if you don't get the extra money, you really shouldn't start making your game bigger.

Yeah this has happened so many times now that there's no excuse for thinking it'd work. Seriously, make the game you intended first, and then IF you have money/time left at the end, add all the extra cool poo poo that was beyond the scope of the original pitch. Worst case; you ship with the game you originally promised.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AntiPseudonym posted:

Yeah this has happened so many times now that there's no excuse for thinking it'd work. Seriously, make the game you intended first, and then IF you have money/time left at the end, add all the extra cool poo poo that was beyond the scope of the original pitch. Worst case; you ship with the game you originally promised.
That's what the Shovel Knight team's been doing and even they still had to go into austerity time crunch mode to get the game out in the first place.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AntiPseudonym posted:

Almost nobody in the industry wants to do this. The original ideas almost always end up being too big, and there tends to be denial about making the painful cuts needed to ship the game on time and on budget. The hardest job in any software company is being the person who says "yeah we need to cut that."

I still remember (15 years later!) some features we cut from a game I worked on, they would have been cool as hell but the game has got to ship.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Woolfe got bought by Rebellion, they plan to honor backer rewards and maybe do something with the IP.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

How Rebellion manages to stay in business I'll never know

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
New Fig campaign "Anchors In The Drift" is live: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/anchors-in-the-drift

"Anchors in the Drift is a Free to Play Action RPG with a unique twist that gives players the freedom to combine and craft their own customized abilities from collectible cards to combat dynamic enemies."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

How Rebellion manages to stay in business I'll never know
They own 2000AD (the Judge Dredd folks) along with a few other book companies, their Sniper Elite games sell pretty well, and they get royalties from a bunch of old games they bought the rights to and republished on Steam and GOG... it's not all that shocking that they'd pick something up from a bankruptcy fire sale for easy positive PR.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mr Underhill posted:

"Anchors in the Drift is a Free to Play Action RPG with a unique twist that gives players the freedom to combine and craft their own customized abilities from collectible cards to combat dynamic enemies."

This might be one of the worst sentences I've ever read.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
All its missing is rogue-like and procedurally generated.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I like the idea of different islands and archipelagos with different themes, from WW2 to vikings and feudal japan, and the fact that you can build your own combos, but I'm extremely curios how crowfunding and free-to-play will go together.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mr Underhill posted:

I like the idea of different islands and archipelagos with different themes, from WW2 to vikings and feudal japan, and the fact that you can build your own combos, but I'm extremely curios how crowfunding and free-to-play will go together.

quote:

customized abilities from collectible cards

I'm betting it has something to do with this.

Also other than the "Dynamic" enemies (how are they dynamic? what does that even mean??), the whole collectible ability cards thing is what's turning me off from that pitch the most. There's just way too many FTP games that have taken the wrong route with this, and their backer rewards are the opposite of comforting on the issue:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 21, 2015

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

horns.aiff

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm betting it has something to do with this.

Also other than the "Dynamic" enemies (how are they dynamic? what does that even mean??), the whole collectible ability cards thing is what's turning me off from that pitch the most. There's just way too many FTP games that have taken the wrong route with this, and their backer rewards are the opposite of comforting on the issue:

Oh yeah you're totally gonna pay them money to open randomized loot crates, enjoy your slot machine

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Also other than the "Dynamic" enemies (how are they dynamic? what does that even mean??)

Enemies will undergo character development after being defeated, a la indie darling Undertale

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Why would they launch Fig without a solid blockbuster up front? The stuff coming through looks very second rate.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Icept posted:

Why would they launch Fig without a solid blockbuster up front? The stuff coming through looks very second rate.

What do you mean, there was that game being developed by that actor from Heroes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Icept posted:

"Blockbusters" already have publishers through traditional channels. No crowdfunding platform, fig included, is designed for blockbusters, those people. You're not going to see relevant, well known names crowdfund. This has always been a way for smaller teams and smaller games to get made. Fig seems designed to target something between indie, and AAA (AA?) games.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I meant blockbuster in crowdfunding terms, like an Obsidian pitch, or one of the other entities that started the site. It seems like you'd want the name associated with a game that'll draw a lot of attention.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hmmm. Jumped to 73k with 15 backers. I wonder if if the actual player money will even get into lower five digits.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Icept posted:

I meant blockbuster in crowdfunding terms, like an Obsidian pitch, or one of the other entities that started the site. It seems like you'd want the name associated with a game that'll draw a lot of attention.

They're going for a slow build? I don't know anything about this kinda stuff but at this rate they'll blow through the goal no problem.

Kickstarter video gaming category never ceases to amaze and baffle me. Please let me know if you can make heads or tails of Sex, Drugs and Video Games - My 90s Virgin Story.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 21, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still don't understand how someone willing to crowdfund something (like me) can get around the logic block of helping to fund something that is going to have the majority of people playing it not pay anything at all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

honestly the game sounds kind of cool, but it's being launched as a ftp game. which means that i and everyone else with even a lick of common sense should just wait till it releases before putting any money in

i really do wonder if anyone thought this campaign through considering that you'd have to be a special kind of retarded to put money into a game monetized around microtransactions, unless one of the tiers was "Everything is free forever"

oh, wait, they have one. it's just seven hundred and fifty dollars ell oh loving ell

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 21, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Toxxupation posted:

i really do wonder if anyone thought this campaign through considering that you'd have to be a special kind of retarded to put money into a game monetized around microtransactions, unless one of the tiers was "Everything is free forever"

oh, wait, they have one. it's just seven hundred and fifty dollars ell oh loving ell

In fairness, some whales put in way more to other free to play games than that, so a $1750 "everything's free forever" tier isn't that bad.

poo poo, there was someone in an IRC channel I hung out in for some mobile phone game that spent that much in a month. It's terrifying.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's also the example of that train sim with $10 grand worth of DLC. The number of people who own all of that DLC is greater than zero.

Whales are out there for the hunting. Just need to release the game that hits their niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Oh boy for $25 I can get a whole three days of XP boost?

Can't really wrap my head around the idea of pre-paying for a free-to-play game at all. I mean I don't even like those types of games to start with. Even if you go with the whole donation angle it's not something I'd imagine most people want to donate to anyway.

Edit: I wonder if this is investor bait to see if the can lure in people that want a cut of that sweet sweet F2P model. It's the only angle I can think of where you'd put your money in.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 21, 2015