Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Temascos posted:

^Yeah, fair enough. I'll change that.^

Back on subject, after I get through Bioshock Infinite I'm strongly thinking about grabbing the HD Collection, this is more of a Euro specific question but is Turbo Mode in DMC3? I remember they removed it in the Special Edition release in the UK for some reason.

Yes, it is. I just checked with my Euro copy (says PEGI on the box and everything!) It's in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Temascos posted:

New Dante would just get thrown out or barred from entering the drat place. And mope on the street corner with some cheap beer, because he's 'rebellious' and poo poo, and then Dante walks out with 5 women and gives New Dante some loose change.

I think he'd be barred because of the whole "punches bouncers in the face for doing their job" thing.
He's just a "badass" like that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Doesn't new Dante go home with two women right in the opening credits of DmC? What a weird argument point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Temascos posted:

Back on subject, after I get through Bioshock Infinite I'm strongly thinking about grabbing the HD Collection, this is more of a Euro specific question but is Turbo Mode in DMC3? I remember they removed it in the Special Edition release in the UK for some reason.

I'm pretty sure this is because PAL CRT monitors had a refresh rate of 50hz so a game mode that bumps the game speed up to 60 frames per second would be obsolete. Most PAL monitors don't have that issue nowadays.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC3 runs at 60 fps anyways. Turbo mode increases the speed of player and monster animations by 20% (at least I think that's the right number.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DmC just got a big rear end (1.1GB) patch, but nobody seems to know what it's for. Maybe more DLC? Vergil playable in Bloody Palace?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I was just coming here to post that. I'm surprised it even got another patch since it bombed and I doubt Capcom or NT give a poo poo about it anymore.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Holy poo poo turbo mode and LDK for DMC pc. Pretty awesome.

http://dmcmods.com/2345-turbo-mode

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

That's pretty nice. The enemies still aren't aggressive enough but it looks a lot less slow at least.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

RBX posted:

Install this and the BP mod I threw together for a good time as Dante. You can set the palace to start on DMD instead of Human, remove all the colored enemies, or just do whatever and make your own waves with some very basic config editing. The original palace setup is kinda boring, but you can make it as hard as you want - if you want floors with 4 dreamrunners, two tyrants, and a witch from the start, go ham.

http://dmcmods.com/2125-bloody-palace-choose-difficulty

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RBX posted:

quote:

Alt+F9 = 15% speedup (RECOMMENDED: This was the speedup originally intended by Ninja Theory upon reaching S-Rank)

So they never got around to adding this? I remember very early previews talking about it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I never realized there was a mod community for this. Any other mods I should check out?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Renoistic posted:

I never realized there was a mod community for this. Any other mods I should check out?

http://dmcmods.com/1994-el-dante-mexican-theme

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Also, http://dmcmods.com/1876-spongebob-dante

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GUI posted:

So they never got around to adding this? I remember very early previews talking about it.

They had it in some of the very early demos, but must have removed it. It could be seen in the SSSensational.gif.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RBX posted:

That fixes so many things just by itself.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That place has the Mexican mod too.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

well why not posted:

Doesn't new Dante go home with two women right in the opening credits of DmC? What a weird argument point.

Oh drat! You're right! :)

Just briefly played the first DMC again after god knows how long, and its amazing how well it holds up today. Obviously the graphics themselves have been surpassed but the art direction is one that has stood the test of time for me. I do hope whatever DMC game comes next they try to match the style of the first, it just worked.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Capcom has revised its expected sales figures, again:

RE5 from 5 million to 4.9 million. (big whoop)
DmC from 1.2 million to 1.15 million.

The reasons Capcom gave for this are:
* "A delayed response to the expanding digital contents market" - (You gotta be loving kidding me - Capcom has had DLC poo poo out the wazoo since day 1)
* "Insufficient coordination between the marketing and the game development divisions in overseas markets"
* "A decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing" (Naming no names.)

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-18-capcom-excessive-outsourcing-has-resulted-in-a-decline-in-quality

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think Capcom's got the same problem as everybody else when it comes to expecting too much. DMC3 sold 1.3 million, and that's generally accepted as the bar of quality for this franchise.

Yes, a few titles in the series sold more than twice that, but they also weren't closing out console generations. DMC3 launched about two months before Microsoft's MTV special revealing the 360. I mean, if you're buying industry line, nobody's buying anything because they're waiting for the next generation to appear. If you're not buying industry line, you believe nobody has any money and this is a microcosm of how hosed the American economy is, but that's for another thread.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yet despite all that they still want to release Lost Planet 3. Got to get back some of the money they put into it, I guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, a few titles in the series sold more than twice that, but they also weren't closing out console generations. DMC3 launched about two months before Microsoft's MTV special revealing the 360. I mean, if you're buying industry line, nobody's buying anything because they're waiting for the next generation to appear. If you're not buying industry line, you believe nobody has any money and this is a microcosm of how hosed the American economy is, but that's for another thread.

I agree somewhat; Persona 4 was an amazing game that managed to get an anime and remake but sold really poorly on release. I'm willing to attribute some of that to the PS2 taking its curtain call, but I'm more convinced that it's because Persona 4 is a (very) niche title. A JRPG set in rural modern Japan with heavy social elements and a very anime storyline? That's pretty niche in a time where even swords and sorcery JRPGs are doing really poorly.

If anything, it is DmC's failure to succeed like Dark Souls did that puts its development and reception in perspective. The latter managed to sell like the DMC games of old at the 2.3M~ mark, and From Software is adamant about embracing the game's image as a hardcore experience. Meanwhile, Capcom's bid to pull the DMC series out of a niche market through NT didn't work out. I definitely think that a big part of DMC's appeal stems from why it was a niche series in the first place, and that studios shouldn't always rule out a hardcore fanbase if Dark Souls managed to succeed the way it did.

Though really, everyone should stop chasing the loving white whale that is Call of Duty sales numbers. The Tomb Raider sales news was pretty hosed with how Squeenix received it; that many zeroes is the exception, not the rule.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm surprised they're willing to admit this but I would be even more surprised if they actually do anything to act on that knowledge.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

absolutely anything posted:

I'm surprised they're willing to admit this but I would be even more surprised if they actually do anything to act on that knowledge.

If that article is to be believed, then they're going to start "shifting to internal R&D". Not that internal development helped RE6.

Their other policy will be to pump out more DLC, because that's worked so well for them. :suicide:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 19, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is stone cold and yet, I can't help but laugh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't usually watch/listen to TotalBiscuit, but the first part of this video has his take on Capcom's recent estimate revision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7JkqoFxUQ. Most of his points, I think, have already been said either here or in the DmC thread; but his description of Capcom's actions up to now makes me think of it as the EA of the East.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I want to kill whoever thought tripling both enemy health and quantity in DmC's DMD difficulty was a good idea. I sure do love spending 5 minutes fighting 3 damage sponge Rages at the same time, and that's not counting the enemies that had spawned beforehand.
The Dreamrunners are also the most unfun enemies to fight once you realize the strategy against them is to repeat the process of punching them when they're coming out of the portal until they finally die.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You wanna know what's fun? Blocking lasers. God's lasers. WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qivKjZ0jgik

And of course, the ever-popular Royal Guard Blitz' lightning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3c1v8gh31w

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

I want to kill whoever thought tripling both enemy health and quantity in DmC's DMD difficulty was a good idea. I sure do love spending 5 minutes fighting 3 damage sponge Rages at the same time, and that's not counting the enemies that had spawned beforehand.
The Dreamrunners are also the most unfun enemies to fight once you realize the strategy against them is to repeat the process of punching them when they're coming out of the portal until they finally die.

Yeah, DmC's higher difficulty mode isn't fun at all. Previously DmCs have run into the damage sponge problem too but at least made up for it with super-aggressive foes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
FYI DmC and all the DLC are on Steam sale. 40% discount. Looks like it's finally time to pick up the Classic Dante™ skin and Virginia's Downfall.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Finally!

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

GUI posted:

Eh? You can just straight up 100 --> 0 them any number of ways - they are actually relatively well designed and have a huge number of possible viable counters. You can hook them if you use E&I to get them to spin their swords, for example.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
As we don't really have a Bayonetta thread, and I know that a majority of people here have played Bayonetta...

Bayonetta 2 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFfVBdRWmw

They've changed the hair; it's DmC all over again :qq:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

As we don't really have a Bayonetta thread, and I know that a majority of people here have played Bayonetta...

Bayonetta 2 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFfVBdRWmw

You're right. I didn't even think about it. The hair is different so clearly I am obligated to hate this game now!!

(No, seriously, it looks fuckin' great.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yo real talk, Bayonetta's new look rules, but Jeanne's doesn't although she gets eaten by demon hands, so I don't have to see it for most of the game thankfully. Also a lot of the boss battles look more dynamic, which I'm happy about, because I felt if there was one thing the original Bayo didn't do well, it was boss battles that weren't human sized characters.

EDIT: That being said, I am more hyped for the Wonderful 101. Can we talk about that too? Because this trailer looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ueBmNNGus

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 11, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

They switched hairstyles between Jeanne and Bayo :swoon:

How would DMC3 have been if Dante was the one with the swept-back hair plus taunt and Vergil was the mophead?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yo real talk, Bayonetta's new look rules, but Jeanne's doesn't although she gets eaten by demon hands, so I don't have to see it for most of the game thankfully. Also a lot of the boss battles look more dynamic, which I'm happy about, because I felt if there was one thing the original Bayo didn't do well, it was boss battles that weren't human sized characters.

I will level with you on that real-talk and say that Bayo's top-ponytail was lame and her hot new style is way better.

vvv: i am the worst hair etymologist

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 11, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

I will level with you on that real-talk and say that Bayo's top-ponytail was lame and her hot new style is way better.

Beehive. :colbert:

I prefer Jeanne's old look, (though I understand the need to contrast the Bayonetta and Jeanne visually), but either way, the set pieces and action still look pretty great. I'm pumped. This and the Wonderful 101 are seriously making me consider getting a Wii-U at some future point.

[e]: Some pics:
To compare:

(Haha, little Musketeer cats)
Come to think of it, Jeanne's new look reminds me of that pic of Femme-Dante that was lurking round the net some years ago.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 11, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, between the new Sonic game, Bayo 2, W101, and X, I am buying a Wii U. It is gonna be hype as gently caress and I cannot wait for W101 in two months.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, DmC's higher difficulty mode isn't fun at all. Previously DmCs have run into the damage sponge problem too but at least made up for it with super-aggressive foes.

It's weird since I ended up looking at it the other way, where everything on Normal just seemed to die before I could get rolling. But then I slightly DMD because it was hard because of how the fights were really long AND you couldn't take a hit at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

EDIT: That being said, I am more hyped for the Wonderful 101. Can we talk about that too? Because this trailer looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ueBmNNGus

It's like Viewtiful Joe crossed with Pikmin sprinkled with Bayonetta and MGR action sequences :allears:

Chucat posted:

It's weird since I ended up looking at it the other way, where everything on Normal just seemed to die before I could get rolling. But then I slightly DMD because it was hard because of how the fights were really long AND you couldn't take a hit at all.

The worst enemies on DMD mode, IMO, were the angel ones, if only because the angel weapons do so little damage. They weren't particulally difficult in terms of attacks, agressiveness/whatnot, just in the time it to to whittle down their health.

• Locked thread