Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

moths posted:

People viewing a detective show as a puzzle? You don't say!

"True Detective" is a 1000 piece flat puzzle and the internet has decided to cut each puzzle piece in half and is attempting to put it together like a Puzz 3-D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry, I didn't grind all these points into Mystery Analysis just so a bunch of gently caress-fails could come at me with some weak Narrative Ambiguity builds.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Me in Reverse posted:

Cohle gets turned into a dresser drawer in Episode 8, that's why he's not in Season 2.

Thank you for that. I really needed a laugh today. Though that was actually one of the moments during the lull of Season 2 Twin Peaks that I partly enjoyed. I have mixed feelings on that scene.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jummy posted:

It's not a detective show, it's a show about two detectives. They're the important part, not the case. The guy who wrote the show even said they're not trying to fool people.

True Detective: It's not a detective show

He said he's not trying to fool people with a trick gimmick that was impossible to see coming. That's not even remotely the same thing.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

moths posted:

He said he's not trying to fool people with a trick gimmick that was impossible to see coming. That's not even remotely the same thing.

Do you seriously think the show is more about their job and not about them?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought Josie getting trapped in the knob was pretty cool, to be honest, if only because it wasn't a scene prominently featuring James Hurley or Nadine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wise Learned Man posted:

Hey, was Deputy Geraci the guy Rust slapped in the face in the first episode? He was part of the group calling Rust the Tax Man and saying he was IA, then later he said something to Rust*, and Rust slapped him.

E: *something about doing his own door-to-doors or whatever?

Maybe this was obvious to everybody else and I just missed it. The gray hair made him look completely different. Slightly changes the moment when Marty says "he will" at the end of ep 7, as I didn't realize they knew each other. And now Marty's emphasis on his name makes sense.

Yes that was Geraci.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

moths posted:

I think what he meant about it not being a detective show, was that it's not one in the traditional sense. It's not like Law & Order where the only things to achieve are who did it, how, and why, and what will happen to them. The show is very much about two characters who happen to be detectives. It's a character study of two flawed men, and the flaws of men in general-- and the ripple effect these have in general, and it's especially highlighted as it takes place in Louisiana, a super patriarchal environment (even more than the rest of the US).

sector_corrector posted:

I thought Josie getting trapped in the knob was pretty cool, to be honest, if only because it wasn't a scene prominently featuring James Hurley or Nadine.
I liked it because Lynch has always had the ability to make inanimate objects seem menacing. I don't know if he wrote it, or if it was someone else who wrote it, trying to ape his style, because he did depart for a while around that time. And yeah. we were back in the Great Northern, and not with Nadine or James.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

escape artist posted:

I think what he meant about it not being a detective show, was that it's not one in the traditional sense. It's not like Law & Order where the only things to achieve are who did it, how, and why, and what will happen to them. The show is very much about two characters who happen to be detectives. It's a character study of two flawed men, and the flaws of men in general-- and the ripple effect these have in general, and it's especially highlighted as it takes place in Louisiana, a super patriarchal environment (even more than the rest of the US).

I liked it because Lynch has always had the ability to make inanimate objects seem menacing. I don't know if he wrote it, or if it was someone else who wrote it, trying to ape his style, because he did depart for a while around that time. And yeah. we were back in the Great Northern, and not with Nadine or James.

Oh poo poo the TVIV forum superstar is here to lay poo poo down. Now this can truly be the worst thread on the forums. Seriously, your posts always make me cringe.

I had a friend text yesterday saying he heard Matthew Mcconaughey won't be back for season 2. I wonder if the anthology format will hurt the show at all. Seems to work ok for American Horror Story so I hope ratings don't dip so we get a few more seasons of True Detective

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

moths posted:

People viewing a detective show as a puzzle? You don't say!

But people are biting off the sides of pieces and loving them up to make them fit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jummy posted:

Do you think anyone not made of straw thinks that?

Dismissing the case is doing the show and writing a huge disservice. If it didn't matter, the show would be called True Guys With lovely Lives and yeah it could potentially be as good, but probably wouldn't.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Oh poo poo the TVIV forum superstar is here to lay poo poo down. Now this can truly be the worst thread on the forums. Seriously, your posts always make me cringe.

I had a friend text yesterday saying he heard Matthew Mcconaughey won't be back for season 2. I wonder if the anthology format will hurt the show at all. Seems to work ok for American Horror Story so I hope ratings don't dip so we get a few more seasons of True Detective

I don't think he really read the thread.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

moths posted:

Do you think anyone not made of straw thinks that?

Dismissing the case is doing the show and writing a huge disservice. If it didn't matter, the show would be called True Guys With lovely Lives and yeah it could potentially be as good, but probably wouldn't.

I'm not dismissing the case, which is why I asked if it was more about the job than them. But nice strawman, hey cool, I can use a ridiculous cliche argument too. The show is obviously an important part of the show, that doesn't make it a detective show. The most important part of the show, and what most of it deals with even the work involving the case, is the two leads who happen to be detectives. You can misconstrue whatever you want, but that much should be obvious even to someone who has managed to grossly misunderstand the basis of the show.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I like the approach they're taking, where they're refreshing the cast every season. I do sort of wish that they were keeping the single director format, but apparently that's not logistically feasible. It would be great to see other up and coming directors, or maybe even established film directors (Nicolas Refn with a TV show?) have full control over an 8 episode run.

Otherwise, the idea of having a consistent writer able to explore new stories each season sounds great. I think that there's enough critical and popular acclaim for HBO to let them keep going with the same level of autonomy that Pizzollato seemed to have for this season.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

escape artist posted:

And naturally, when Lynch was forced to reveal the killer by network people, the show went to poo poo.

I thought the show was already going to poo poo at that point and the network forced them to reveal it to try to save ratings.

I really want them to just make an abridged version of Twin Peaks with 99% of the James scenes cut out. Just remove all of them except for the one where they play that lovely song and Bob pops out nowhere in retaliation.

Jummy posted:

Woody Harrelson was on the Daily Show a few weeks ago, and if I remember correctly he straight up said the show is more about the two characters than the mystery.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I'd love to see each season moving around the country, exploring America's many different locales. I took these pictures this week, especially with the fog everything had a True Detective vibe, made me want to see Season 2 in a snowy, northwestern rural area.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
True Detective Thread: we should all stop posting and walk hand in hand into extinction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jummy posted:

I'm not dismissing the case, which is why I asked if it was more about the job than them. But nice strawman, hey cool, I can use a ridiculous cliche argument too. The show is obviously an important part of the show, that doesn't make it a detective show. The most important part of the show, and what most of it deals with even the work involving the case, is the two leads who happen to be detectives. You can misconstrue whatever you want, but that much should be obvious even to someone who has managed to grossly misunderstand the basis of the show.

Is this a parody of your last post?

Obviously the detectives matter. And the focus of the show True Detective is a pair of detectives investigating a case. It's told through the device of the two detectives being interviewed by two additional detectives. It's a show about detectives.

It's also an excellent character drama that fleshes out the men's lives, and the toll that being a detective has taken on them. That doesn't make it a show about not-detectives, it makes it a really loving good detective show.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

True Detective Thread: we should all stop posting and walk hand in hand into extinction.

One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a bad thread.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

moths posted:

Is this a parody of your last post?

Obviously the detectives matter. And the focus of the show True Detective is a pair of detectives investigating a case. It's told through the device of the two detectives being interviewed by two additional detectives. It's a show about detectives.

It's also an excellent character drama that fleshes out the men's lives, and the toll that being a detective has taken on them. That doesn't make it a show about not-detectives, it makes it a really loving good detective show.

So what you're saying is that it's a show about detectives, and not a detective show. I'm glad we could clear that up. Oh poo poo, wait, you threw in the parody thing, let me find another dumb argument to put in here while I finish this up, causal reductionism.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean your post made no sense. "It's a show about a show?" Ok glad that's cleared up.

E: It's like you were stating your previous post more aggressively and less coherently, like a parody of it.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 7, 2014

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

moths posted:

I mean your post made no sense. "It's a show about a show?" Ok glad that's cleared up.

Gotcha, I see now. Meant to type the case is an important part of the show. Still probably easy enough to understand if you spend more than a few seconds thinking about it, but you not being able to get that would explain why you're having such a problem with the rest of this discussion and the show in general. I do like that you put that part up there in quotes though as if it's something I said and not something you glommed onto as if it were important.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ChairmanMeow posted:

I don't think he really read the thread.
I read all 85 loving pages of this shitpile before I posted, thanks.

And it's a good thing that MM won't be back. Because no matter how good or how bad next season is, his performance will be compared to Rust Cohle. The character is an instant icon. American Horror Story has shown how reusing actors can be detrimental in an anthology series. Lange plays the same drat character every year, because that's the draw.

And you know what? I'm with you guys. I think my posts suck too. The difference is, I think 99% of your posts are even worse, and that, folks, is a problem.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I just want to point out that escape artist's avatar has a (bow)tie. Let's discuss that for 3 pages.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

escape artist posted:

I read all 85 loving pages of this shitpile before I posted, thanks.

You're in Carcosa now. With us. He sees you.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Funny enough, that's Michael Potts, who plays one of the detectives investigating the 2012 case.

edit: Was really happy to see him in the credits as one of the first name. I think his role in The Book of Mormon might have helped him secure this role. He deserves more work than he gets.

Broseph Brostar posted:

You're in Carcosa now. With us. He sees you.

There's never been a time that I wasn't. Or that he hasn't.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 7, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

escape artist posted:

I'm not here to blow myself. I'm here to tell you to step it up, because you're dragging this place down. It used to be the one decent place you could have a discussion about high-quality TV without all the GBS spillover.

Did it though? This thread is just like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones etc.

The only threads I can think of that have been good were Spartacus and then ones for shows like Sons of Anarchy and The Following where everyone just laughs and posts jokes about the show. Boardwalk Empire? Although that doesn't get many posts.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I love how someone shows up with an interest in actually talking about the show in a meaningful way instead of just spectacularly missing the point by reiterating the same absurd "theories" that literally everyone involved in the show has denied, and everyone just dogpiles him instead.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I think any TV IV thread about a complex show that features heavy usage of unreliable narration and symbology will descend into neckbeards writing dissertation prospectii about what the meaning of some piece of set dressing is and how it represents some character's chronic bowel irritation or whatever the gently caress.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

escape artist posted:

And you know what? I'm with you guys. I think my posts suck too. The difference is, I think 99% of your posts are even worse, and that, folks, is a problem.

It's not a problem for me, I think this thread has been immensely entertaining. It's just entertaining in a far different way than the show itself.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pugnax posted:

I think any TV IV thread about a complex show that features heavy usage of unreliable narration and symbology will descend into neckbeards writing dissertation prospectii about what the meaning of some piece of set dressing is and how it represents some character's chronic bowel irritation or whatever the gently caress.

I don't know if I'd describe the show's format as using unreliable narration -- we're always presented with the truth via flashback, even in scenarios where Cohle/Hart are lying to the present-day cops.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bird Law posted:

I'd love to see each season moving around the country, exploring America's many different locales. I took these pictures this week, especially with the fog everything had a True Detective vibe, made me want to see Season 2 in a snowy, northwestern rural area.

I drove through eastern WA a few weeks ago and it really had me thinking about the atmosphere it would lend to a show like this.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

The only threads I can think of that have been good were Spartacus and then ones for shows like Sons of Anarchy and The Following where everyone just laughs and posts jokes about the show. Boardwalk Empire? Although that doesn't get many posts.

The King of The Hill Thread is awesome. It is still going years after the show. Everyone is nice and posts content. I'm sure this is made easier by the type of show and lack of suspense, but it still always surprises me.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I love how someone shows up with an interest in actually talking about the show in a meaningful way instead of just spectacularly missing the point by reiterating the same absurd "theories" that literally everyone involved in the show has denied, and everyone just dogpiles him instead.

Nobody is dogpiling Periodiko.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bird Law posted:

I agree, and I've brought up a few locations I wouldn't mind seeing. I think that the rural north could be really appealing, but wouldn't mind seeing the rural desolation of the planes-states in a post factory farming economy (maybe have some past-tense scenes that cover the slow decline of the community as industrial farming displaced family farming).

In a recent interview Pizzollato mentioned the corruption of LA as a potentially interesting setting of a non serial killer crime, and although I really don't want to see any more of LA, I guess I would take that over yet another generic New York. Harlem during the Harlem Renaissance would be an awesome way to do New York without resorting to cliche. Although I'm not 100% sure that the show would work as a straight-up period piece. The continual flux between present and past in this season was a great feature.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CODChimera posted:

Did you see the Wire thread I made a few years ago? We just completed it recently. 60 episodes. An analysis of every episode. Took us over a year to get there. But it was as if we were in an informal but academic setting.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522091&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This show, is up there with The Wire, in the sense that I feel "televisual novel" describes it more adequately, and it deserves a much more in-depth analysis.

As far as Game of Thrones go-- the spoiler thread has its merits. Although, we're more discussing the TV adaptation of a novel.

You want to talk about a quality thread in TVIV? Well, just skim it a bit:

escape artist posted:

Season One

Episode 1 - The Target
Episode 2 - The Detail
Episode 3 - The Buys
Episode 4 - Old Cases
Episode 5 - The Pager
Episode 6 - The Wire
Episode 7 - One Arrested
Episode 8 - Lessons
Episode 9 - Game Day
Episode 10 - The Cost
Episode 11 - The Hunt
Episode 12 - Cleaning Up
Episode 13 - Sentencing - Part 1
Episode 13 - Sentencing - Part 2

Season Two

Episode 1 - Ebb Tide
Episode 2 - Collateral Damage
Episode 3 - Hot Shots
Episode 4 - Hard Cases
Episode 5 - Undertow - Part 1
Episode 5 - Undertow - Part 2
Episode 6 - All Prologue - Part 1
Episode 6 - All Prologue - Part 2
Episode 7 - Backwash
Episode 8 - Duck and Cover
Episode 9 - Stray Rounds - Part 1
Episode 9 - Stray Rounds - Part 2
Episode 10 - Storm Warning
Episode 11 - Bad Dreams
Episode 12 - Port in a Storm - Part 1
Episode 12 - Port in a Storm - Part 2

Season Three

Episode 1 - Time After Time
Episode 2 - All Due Respect
Episode 3 - Dead Soldiers
Episode 4 - Hamsterdam
Episode 5 - Straight and True
Episode 6 - Homecoming
Episode 7 - Back Burners
Episode 8 - Moral Midgetry
Episode 9 - Slapstick
Episode 10 - Reformation - Part 1
Episode 10 - Reformation - Part 2
Episode 11 - Middle Ground
Episode 12 - Mission Accomplished

Season Four

Episode 1 - Boys of Summer - Part 1
Episode 1 - Boys of Summer - Part 2
Episode 2 - Soft Eyes - Part 1
Episode 2 - Soft Eyes - Part 2
Episode 3 - Home Rooms - Part 1
Episode 3 - Home Rooms - Part 2
Episode 4 - Refugees - Part 1
Episode 4 - Refugees - Part 2
Episode 5 - Alliances
Episode 6 - Margin of Error
Episode 7 - Unto Others
Episode 8 - Corner Boys
Episode 9 - Know Your Place - Part 1
Episode 9 - Know Your Place - Part 2
Episode 10 - Misgivings - Part 1
Episode 10 - Misgivings - Part 2
Episode 11: A New Day
Episode 12: That's Got His Own
Episode 13: Final Grades - Part One
Episode 13: Final Grades - Part Two

Season Five

Episode 1 - More With Less
Episode 2 - Unconfirmed Reports
Episode 3 - Not for Attribution
Episode 4 - Transitions - Part One
Episode 4 - Transitions - Part Two
Episode 5 - React Quotes
Episode 6 - The Dickensian Aspect
Episode 7 - Took
Episode 8 - Clarifications
Episode 9 - Late Editions
Episode 5 - –30– - Part One
Episode 5 - –30– - Part Two

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I just wonder what the people with these theories event want to see in the final episode. Wrapping up a character study already promises to make for a dense episode, and this show is really good at trimming away the fat and using its time wisely. The little "clues" aren't meant to serve people obsessively examining the show frame-by-frame for an "answer" - they are broad strokes that allow thematic information to be relayed without bogging down the already lean narrative thread.

Are people just waiting for some "aha!" moment where Audrey is sitting on her bed with a class photo from an old Tuttle school or something? What purpose would that serve? The truth is that whatever trauma affected her is ultimately irrelevant beyond the fact that Marty is either partly or fully to blame for it. Audrey is just another magnifying glass through which the viewer scrutinizes Marty, to see how he reacts and how he, as a person, grapples with his own humanity. This is why he's an amazing character even when his motives are dubious; we see his desire to protect children run counter to his inability to do it (think the dream from Catcher in the Rye made real), and so when he views that tape in Rust's storage unit, it forces us to wonder whether he's doing it because it is morally correct, or because some part of him wants desperately to make up for his own failings and deficiencies, or both. Marty and Rust have both effectively "lost" all of the women in their lives, and the show wants us to see that they had a hand in it. Effectively, we know that their story has begun at the same point and that they are moving inexorably toward the same end, only from two different directions. This is the circle neither man can escape from.

There is no mystery in this show. We know everything that is important. Not a single one of these theories, if they were hypothetically legitimate, would contribute to what this show is doing, and thinking that they are going to open the floodgates on it all in the final episode is as asinine as thinking Cthulu is going to rise up out the Louisiana bayou right before a cut to credits.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Me in Reverse posted:

I don't know if I'd describe the show's format as using unreliable narration -- we're always presented with the truth via flashback, even in scenarios where Cohle/Hart are lying to the present-day cops.

Fair, but we didn't know they were lying to the cops until the flashbacks showed up, so it's not a stretch to say that they could be lying about other things. I suppose it's a semantic issue - the characters can be unreliable in the narration, but the show won't lie to the audience.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Full Fathoms Five posted:

maybe he should have made some good posts first instead of just common sense whitenoise and trashing people from a delusional position of authority and grandeur??

low quality poster coming to the threads about the shows you like to talk about himself

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

sector_corrector posted:

I agree, and I've brought up a few locations I wouldn't mind seeing. I think that the rural north could be really appealing, but wouldn't mind seeing the rural desolation of the planes-states in a post factory farming economy (maybe have some past-tense scenes that cover the slow decline of the community as industrial farming displaced family farming).

In a recent interview Pizzollato mentioned the corruption of LA as a potentially interesting setting of a non serial killer crime, and although I really don't want to see any more of LA, I guess I would take that over yet another generic New York. Harlem during the Harlem Renaissance would be an awesome way to do New York without resorting to cliche. Although I'm not 100% sure that the show would work as a straight-up period piece. The continual flux between present and past in this season was a great feature.

I think they could do some really interesting work with the plains areas, anything but LA or NY really. I wonder if they'll do the different time periods again or go with a more linear story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

maybe he should have made some good posts first instead of just common sense whitenoise and trashing people from a delusional position of authority and grandeur??

low quality poster coming to the threads about the shows you like to talk about himself

Yeah, I had a killer loving set that night and was riding high on arrogance and alcohol. Again, you're ignoring what I'm saying and attacking me personally, which is not addressing my valid criticism. I was seriously waiting for somebody to pull that up. You don't disappoint, you predictable schmuck.

I have an abrasive personality, and when I express myself, that's how it comes across. Rude and right aren't mutually exclusive.

Look at the Wire thread I posted. THAT is the level of conversation we should be having in this thread. But again, somehow, it always comes back to shallow plot reading and rapechat. Always.

• Locked thread