Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
One other small improvement - in the VAB, allow existing symmetry to be (1) displayed with a highlight and a number and (2) be allowed to be changed in place. An example would be a 6 symmetry decoupler/booster being changed to 2 sets of 3 or 6 individuals. This will allow pairing to be pulled from larger symmetries for staging, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Groetgaffel posted:

As far as I can tell, the main point against displaying dV is that it throws meaningless numbers on the un-initiated.
I see a fairly simple solution to that. In the VAB, put a box that shows total delta V, together with a single-sentence clarification as telling you roughly how far that amount of dV will get you.
If it's less than 4k, it'll say Suborbital, and as you give your rocket more and more dV it'll say things like Orbit and Back, Mun Flyby, One-way Ticket to Duna, etc.

It would give new players a rough idea of how much dV they need to get to where they want to go, and also put into context the dV number a maneuver node gives you.
Put a little window in the VAB where you can ask your mission planner Kerbal (I'll say again that when girlbals are added, the character should be based on Katherine Johnson) to look over it. Too little delta-v and their eyebrows go up. Too much and their eyes get big and they start smiling.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

maltesh thinks delta-v stats could encourage players to reach further destinations at lower tech levels.
[*]Interesting. But success/failure may then be reduced to the player's ability at piloting.
Link success at a game to the player's skill level? preposterous!

Captain Postal posted:

Allright, which smartass built a rocket powered trebuchet to get Jeb to the islands?

Very cool.

https://imgur.com/a/kI0It

:hitler:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

SCANSat does this.

Is there a place to download this outside of the forums? I've been searching and it seems I'm a victim of my own bad timing WRT the forums being down. Curse's search is... interesting.

I wonder if it'd be possible to have a setting for antennas which keep them extended after transmitting. As it is, they just fold away when they're finished transmitting, but most of the time, I try and keep them open. (Theres also a little bug there where clicking "extend" after transmitting does nothing once and then activates if you click it again).

emf
Aug 1, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

... when girlbals are added ...
I think this is a really bad idea. The first thing one must consider is if a game element adds anything positive to gameplay. I cannot see what adding gender to Kerbals does. Kerbals are specifically not human (for a number of reasons, some of which are related to blowing them up on the launch pad, or turning them into little green smears on Mun), and bringing all the human considerations of gender into the game only introduces gender stereotypes -- increasing the possibility of alienating players -- without improving gameplay.

Kerbals are just fine without the baggage of human gender.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

emf posted:

I think this is a really bad idea. The first thing one must consider is if a game element adds anything positive to gameplay. I cannot see what adding gender to Kerbals does. Kerbals are specifically not human (for a number of reasons, some of which are related to blowing them up on the launch pad, or turning them into little green smears on Mun), and bringing all the human considerations of gender into the game only introduces gender stereotypes -- increasing the possibility of alienating players -- without improving gameplay.

Nothing gender specific about Bob, Bill, and Jebediah at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

emf posted:

Gender has no gameplay implications, all it would change is the name, skin, and 3D model.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The Kerbals already have male names and male characteristics- particularly the very square jawline. They're pretty obviously not genderless, so it would be doing a great disservice to female gamers (and the female contribution to real life space exploration) to not include them.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

emf posted:

increasing the possibility of alienating players

Yeah cuz' adding gender diversity to a game is obviously going to do just that :rolleye:

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Whiirrr posted:

Nothing gender specific about Bob, Bill, and Jebediah at all.
That's easy to fix.

haveblue posted:

Gender has no gameplay implications, all it would change is the name, skin, and 3D model.
My point precisely.

Luneshot posted:

The Kerbals already have male names and male characteristics- particularly the very square jawline. They're pretty obviously not genderless, so it would be doing a great disservice to female gamers (and the female contribution to real life space exploration) to not include them.
This isn't "Human Space Program" it's "Kerbal Space Program", and I'm of Northern-European descent, so I don't count "square jawline" as a gender-defining characteristic. As for the names: why do they have human names? Especially Western, biblical names?

Anyway, I know this is going to be met with a bunch of P.C., W.K. or S.J.W. crap, so I'm not going to reply on this issue again. The only exception is if any woman, queer, gay, trans, etc. (not straight men) wants to share their perspective (which I'd be very happy to hear) and they specifically request I do so.

Happy Kerbaling.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Daisy Duck is just Donald Duck in drag so maybe just putting some mascara and a bow on them would suffice.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Why are there MRA people making GBS threads up the KSP thread?

I say fewer dicks, more dick-shaped rockets!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you go back a few pages Maxmaps discussed the whole female kerbal thing and how they're looking to add them in a way that isn't just changing their spacesuits pink.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you want your female Kerbals to stay in the KSC kitchen and make sandwiches for the men, take them out in the crew selection screen.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Can we please not call them Girbals? Too close to gerbils. I suggest Kergals, sounds kind of like Kegels; much more appropriate.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Luneshot posted:

For me it's not so much the jawline that makes the little guys present as male, it's the 60's-era high-and-tight haircut they're all sporting outside of the Kerbalizer. Every single one of 'em looks like Bill Paxton in Apollo 13. Literally Little Green Men from Another Planet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there's also the thing where 99% of the names in the game are obviously masculine.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I always assumed kerbals were genderless little thingies. Let's just add female(ish?)names and be done with.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I personally couldn't care less if they were all dudes.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
This is the problem with putting a bow on a kerbal to make a girlbal.

Luckily, Girlbals don't have to look like that. Timmon and some others have put forth the very reasonable idea of reshaping the head and body slightly.

Girlbals will never EVER look like this.

:catstare:

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

emf posted:

That's easy to fix.
My point precisely.
This isn't "Human Space Program" it's "Kerbal Space Program", and I'm of Northern-European descent, so I don't count "square jawline" as a gender-defining characteristic. As for the names: why do they have human names? Especially Western, biblical names?

Anyway, I know this is going to be met with a bunch of P.C., W.K. or S.J.W. crap, so I'm not going to reply on this issue again. The only exception is if any woman, queer, gay, trans, etc. (not straight men) wants to share their perspective (which I'd be very happy to hear) and they specifically request I do so.

Happy Kerbaling.

You've got your head way too far up your own rear end about this. Your race doesn't matter, your perceptions of gender don't matter, your childish writing-off of the criticisms of others as "SJW crap"... it's all dumb as hell and you should probably take a step back and realize what you're really saying: that the game's developers are going to introduce the most benign (in that they absolutely do not affect gameplay) gender differences in characters, and this deviation from an all-male-character game upsets you.

Grow up, you man-baby! There is no "baggage of human gender" attached to adding female-identifying characters to a game with male-identifying characters. That's just called "gender," and it's only "baggage" to you on account of male-character-dominated games being so normalized, and female-character-dominated games being so few. If you can't wrap your little white head around that then that's on you, not anyone else, to understand.

Grouping women with "queer, gay, trans, etc. (not straight men)" really speaks to how you view the world. If it seriously bends you out of shape that some of your virtual entertainment might involve female characters as well as male ones, then that's pretty sexist. Own it if you want, but don't pretend to deny it or attempt to placate anyone by being so "very happy to hear" minority opinions.

That said: just throw in a smattering of pseudo-gibberish female-sounding names and a different hairline and loving call it done already.

TheSnowySoviet fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 28, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

emf posted:

Happy Kerbaling.

Since you specified, gay guy here- I already made my thoughts pretty well known in a post before, basically being "there's no reason to exclude women when they play this game as much as guys do." The whole thread discusses it starting here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621666&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post427782586

I think this one is the best concept so far- little physical differences, but nothing to make them any less competent.

(also maybe it's just me but I loving hate the term SJW- you're taking all the groups who have a legit reason to complain and lumping them together into one label that you can dismiss easily)

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 28, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I would make this a background in a heartbeat, but for the fact that the one on the right seems to be trying to look down her shirt.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
This is dumb.

WraithMind fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 28, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Nth Doctor posted:

I would make this a background in a heartbeat, but for the fact that the one on the right seems to be trying to look down her shirt.

If someone fixed this (just moved the eye dots up to normal) I would be eternally grateful.

As it is, I like it because Hatty Kerbal is ten times as badass as the ogling guy. He's the dude who can't get over the FE-male mission commander but also can't fly nearly as well.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

I hate to have to r->c->p in here, but I wasn't advocating for not adding female Kerbals to the male Kerbals in the game, I was advocating not adding gender to a game that doesn't yet have it (placeholder names notwithstanding), and certainly doesn't need it. In other words:

Platonicsolid posted:

I say fewer dicks, more dick-shaped rockets!
edit: and by S.J.W. crap I was assuming that I would get called out and dismissed AS a S.J.W. etc. But i guess this isn't gbs.

emf fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 28, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please explain in as much detail as possible how kerbals having gender detracts from the KSP experience :allears:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 28, 2014

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Nth Doctor posted:

With apologies to the original artist:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

emf posted:

I hate to have to r->c->p in here, but I wasn't advocating for not adding female Kerbals to the male Kerbals in the game, I was advocating not adding gender to a game that doesn't yet have it (placeholder names notwithstanding), and certainly doesn't need it. In other words:

That's still not workable. Kerbals may not care about gender, but it's pretty obvious the humans playing the game do and they've already added gender to the game. Equality is a big deal these days and there's no good reason to not solve it.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

emf posted:

You're a pile of dicks inside a pus-soaked bag of wet poo poo and now you're trying to tell us the cocks aren't bloody stumps, as if that makes it better.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

As far as I can tell, the main point against displaying dV is that it throws meaningless numbers on the un-initiated.
I see a fairly simple solution to that. In the VAB, put a box that shows total delta V, together with a single-sentence clarification as telling you roughly how far that amount of dV will get you.
If it's less than 4k, it'll say Suborbital, and as you give your rocket more and more dV it'll say things like Orbit and Back, Mun Flyby, One-way Ticket to Duna, etc.

It would give new players a rough idea of how much dV they need to get to where they want to go, and also put into context the dV number a maneuver node gives you.

I don't like this for starting out since it takes away a bunch of the initial discovery part to know from the get-go whether your first few rockets can potentially work or not. The best thing I can think of that lets you be precise if you want and hides it if you don't would be to add a pre-flight mission planning area.

It'd be basically maneuver nodes on the map screen. You would need new node types for decoupling stages and one for ascent/descent. Then make it calculate and display dV consumed/dV remaining in the stage for each burn. Launching a mission with an associated plan would start you out with all the maneuver nodes set up already. It'd be a reasonable way to show where fuel is being spent and what stages are over/under, and to also teach what dV means without explicit instructions.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soyuz launch today, for any of you that are interested. T-4 minutes!

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking on behalf of the entire bisexual overmind which I totally can do and isn't a load of bollocks, lady kerbals would be neat. Actually, different looks for kerbals would be nice also, even just a different set of hairdos and facial hair would be cool. Maybe a selection of chins and forehead shapes. Just something to make the little portraits look a bit different from each other. Maybe give Jeb, Bill, and Bob a set look each, then just randomise features for everyone else.

Wouldn't add much to the gameplay but it'd be help give a little more character to individual kerbonauts.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nevets posted:

This is beautiful.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Nevets posted:

Don't apologize for anything. This is beautiful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's still creeping on the girl, but at least he's keeping an eye on the altimeter too? :v:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Feature request: make a vessel save how many kerbals I've filled it with. Its really annoying to launch -> failure -> relaunch minus some crew -> back to VAB -> relaunch.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OwlFancier posted:

Wouldn't add much to the gameplay but it'd be help give a little more character to individual kerbonauts.

Especially when choosing from the Astronaut complex. Bill/Jeb/Bob have their orange jumpsuits to distinguish them, and everyone else is the same. I rather like the idea, especially with the reputation system coming up, of valuing certain Kerbals and their "accomplishments". The Final Frontier mod did this pretty interestingly (though a bit complex) but it seems to be mostly abandoned these days. Maybe Melzor Kerman could be as memorable as one of your main Kerbals, or whoever else. Like, you start out with your basic 3 Kerbals, and then build on that, much like you build your own spaceships. Just building your own little favorite groups. This'd dovetail nicely with the other tweak of not having the crew always default to the main 3 guys.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
If you're still looking for small additions that would make a difference:

add select root to the stock VAB
add editor extensions as a toggle in the options

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

emf posted:

bringing all the human considerations of gender into the game only introduces gender stereotypes -- increasing the possibility of alienating players -- without improving gameplay.

You know what really alienates me from games? Female characters. :downs:

emf posted:

Oh my god. :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Dred_furst posted:

Feature request: make a vessel save how many kerbals I've filled it with. Its really annoying to launch -> failure -> relaunch minus some crew -> back to VAB -> relaunch.

Holy gently caress this.

• Locked thread