Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Bioshock Infinite is mediocre as gently caress. I'm so glad I just paid the price of disc space.

I have a list of games to play through, but I don't know which one I should go with first:
-Dead Space series
-Mass Effect series
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Far Cry 3
-GT 6

I have some catching up to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Arkham is fairly short compared to the others, maybe give that a whirl. ME is my favorite but then you have to decide about getting DLC. There are at least a couple you shouldn't skip.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Bioshock Infinite is mediocre as gently caress. I'm so glad I just paid the price of disc space.

I have a list of games to play through, but I don't know which one I should go with first:
-Dead Space series
-Mass Effect series
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Far Cry 3
-GT 6

I would actually play them in the order you listed them. Although Dead Space 3 is mediocre. The first and second are great though. Play DS3 if you have a friend, otherwise just watch a LP or skip it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just got to the part in Tales Of Xillia where the girl and her puppet join the party. The puppet is voiced by the same actor who did Chie in P4G, this has made Xillia about 500 times better because Chie loving owns

But seriously though this game is really great; it's my first Tales game and I'm super happy I grabbed it during the '14 sale.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Syrinxx posted:

I just got to the part in Tales Of Xillia where the girl and her puppet join the party. The puppet is voiced by the same actor who did Chie in P4G, this has made Xillia about 500 times better because Chie loving owns

But seriously though this game is really great; it's my first Tales game and I'm super happy I grabbed it during the '14 sale.

Graces was my first Tales experience and I liked it a lot, looking forward to trying Xilia too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlindNinja posted:

Graces was my first Tales experience and I liked it a lot, looking forward to trying Xilia too.

Xillia's the first Tales game that I've played through from start to finish and I really liked it. Spoilers follow for the first half of the game regarding a minor complaint I had - I wasn't really a fan of the "get back to Fennmont" arc because it detoured so drat much that it lost any sense of impending doom. There's nothing wrong with a setback or two, but three weeks over an injury and two or three failed attempts just to get near the place is just getting absurd. Rest of it was pretty good though, and the actual events themselves taking place during that Chapter were okay.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

-Dead Space series
-Mass Effect series
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Far Cry 3
-GT 6

Mass Effect would be a huge time sink and only the second game is really great. First one plays like poo poo but has an interesting story and the third one flips the script by having decent gameplay but a terrible plot. Playing all of Dead Space would take a long time as well, and Gran Turismo doesn't even have a plot so why not just play it concurrently with other stuff? I'd start with either Batman or Far Cry.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

-Dead Space series
-Mass Effect series
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Far Cry 3
-GT 6

Batman. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games ever but I actually don't recommend it because 3 was that bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Batman. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games ever but I actually don't recommend it because 3 was that bad.
Naw, you can just pretend that after the events at the end of 2, the reapers just went nope and decided against ending all intelligent life in the galaxy.

edit: play Graces F next, I like it much more than Xillia. Also I am happy that the next announced Tales game, Zesteria, is getting back to a pure fantasy thing. And it's zesty!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 26, 2014

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

I had tried the new Final Fantasy demo hoping it might have some of that ol' FF mojo back, but the writing is still as over-serious, pretentious and boring as it's been for awhile now. Everytime Lightening opened her mouth I wanted to shut off the game (and eventually did). Decided to give Xillia a shot instead and even though it clearly has a fraction of the budget as an FF game, they spent it on the things that matters the most to me in any RPG; interesting characters and interesting places to explore. I'm just a three person party right now, but it feels like Luke, Han & Leia from Star Wars on a grand adventure. The architecture in the towns isn't as grand as Final Fantasy games, but it's well thought out. Things like the villagers who sweep the spiritual symbols into the dirt road through their town everyday to please their goddess. Good stuff.

I think i'll have to drop the difficulty a bit though. A couple times already my party has been destroyed out of nowhere.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Naw, you can just pretend that after the events at the end of 2, the reapers just went nope and decided against ending all intelligent life in the galaxy.

If only you could just switch 2 and 3. The ending of 3 would tie really nicely into the beginning of 2, and then you could just be doing a badass suicide mission to take out the last remaining Reaper stronghold or something and end things on a high note.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

If only you could just switch 2 and 3. The ending of 3 would tie really nicely into the beginning of 2, and then you could just be doing a badass suicide mission to take out the last remaining Reaper stronghold or something and end things on a high note.

Yeah it was a bit dumb to have the "rally the troops we're doing a SUICIDE MISSION" thing be the entire focus of 2, and then having 3 which basically ignored everything you did in 2. Then there's the actual issues in the story of ME3 besides that.

I will say I'm still curious what they'll do with the universe. If Mass Effect 4 starts a completely new story arc and it's good I wouldn't mind, ME1 had crappy gameplay but the parts where you ran around the giant citadel learning about races and stuff was neat.

Apparently the post-release fixes and DLC they added to 3 change it up significantly but from what I hear it's not enough. This is why you try to make games stand-alone instead of stretching out a story over 6 years!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For those of you who haven't finished ME3, think about the end of Fallout 3, when you had Falkes there with you and the game forces you to commit suicide by going in yourself, rather than her just doing it and effortlessly saving the world. Now, imagine that, but culminating three games stretching over six years. That's the end of ME3.

And to my knowledge, the patches and stuff did absolutely nothing to alleviate the central problem of being forced to make a ridiculous choice and ignore completely obvious solutions because the game doesn't even present them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

You could jump to 13-2 and just take in the retcons. I have a friend who is, against my pleas, playing through all the FF13 games and he's telling me 13-2 is a vast improvement.

Your friend is lying to you. FFXIII-2 is worse in every way except that it's technically less linear. I'm less harsh on FFXIII than a lot of people but FFXIII-2 is worse in almost every way I can think of except that one way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 26, 2014

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I have a friend that's played through FFXIII 5 times and I'm very worried about him.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I've only ever played Mass Effect 3 with the extended cut DLC and I was satisfied. In fact, the only thing I felt was missing was a "whatever happened to... " sequence for your squadmates.

Having said that, I think the fanbase hating ME3's ending was garunteed long before ME3 was ever conceived. That's just what happens when people get that invested into something. They become impossible to please.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Having said that, I think the fanbase hating ME3's ending was garunteed long before ME3 was ever conceived. That's just what happens when people get that invested into something. They become impossible to please.
Absolutely not. I would have accepted all kinds of endings for the series, just not that one. It took the things I accomplished through the series and straight up told me they were meaningless and futile.

edit: vvv yeah, that's what I'm saying. There are lots of bad endings in games, and I was prepared for a certain amount of badness, but this one blew away my expectations. AC3's ending was inoffensive and bland compared to this.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 26, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've only ever played Mass Effect 3 with the extended cut DLC and I was satisfied. In fact, the only thing I felt was missing was a "whatever happened to... " sequence for your squadmates.

No, it was really just a very bad ending. I had no strong feelings about Mass Effect and I assumed the ending was going to involve Deus Ex machinas and Shepard dying because all games end that way these days and it still managed to shock me how badly it was written. When freaking Assassin's Creed does your stupid ending better than you did, you've screwed up.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Finished my virgin Bioshock infinite 1999 run. Took probably close to 40 hours, but I managed my first time through 1999 + all collectables. The game itself was pretty rough at first, but after you get Elizabeth it is much more bearable. Having the quicksave and multiple backup health packs of bioshock 1 and 2 would have been great but whatever.

Excellent game, and right up there with the last of us, to just be played from start->finish, regardless of difficulty. Easier the better, since the scope and awe of those games is fantastic.

The only dumb thing with the actual game, was the story, and I felt it tried a bit too hard to be a "smart" game, instead of dropping the pretense and just giving a lush 1912 world with a crazy prophet like character and trying to rescue a damsel. The magic + modern gunplay was pretty well executed. I would have preferred maybe less RPG/grenade launch type weapons given the era, but it still played fine and helped with the DPS output for those spongie enemies.

If the season pass goes on sale within a year I'll grab it for sure. Otherwise I figure around 2015 I might replay the game just on easy, vanilla gameplay, and pick up the pass then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scyron posted:

The only dumb thing with the actual game, was the story, and I felt it tried a bit too hard to be a "smart" game, instead of dropping the pretense and just giving a lush 1912 world with a crazy prophet like character and trying to rescue a damsel. The magic + modern gunplay was pretty well executed. I would have preferred maybe less RPG/grenade launch type weapons given the era, but it still played fine and helped with the DPS output for those spongie enemies.

Think of it this way; The game's been in development since about 2008 and has gone through at least two rewrites that we know of. Considering they had to get a finished product out on a deadline, what they pulled out of their rear end to amalgamate whatever was finished is kinda clever and ties it together fairly well. Look at the differences between the first act, the Revolution arc and the finale and tell me they didn't cut-and-paste three scripts together.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

DEAR RICHARD posted:

-Dead Space series
-Mass Effect series
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Far Cry 3
-GT 6

If you play Dead Space, and you're pretty decent at games, play it on Hard at least. It helps keep it a little more terrifying near the end even though you get more powerful.

Asylum is a good place to jump in though. Very solid, and highly rated game, lots of bonus stuff to do, the main missions are very fun and it's a neat game (most would say the best) about THE GODDAMN BATMAN.

Don't do Mass Effect unless you have 60 hours to go through. Or do one ME game, then another game, then ME2 and etc etc.

GT6 can be played whenever, and I don't have high feelings for Far Cry 3. It has a decent open world but.... ehh.... It's good for a game to load up and dick around for in a hour or so, but story really fails.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

If you play Dead Space, and you're pretty decent at games, play it on Hard at least. It helps keep it a little more terrifying near the end even though you get more powerful.

Asylum is a good place to jump in though. Very solid, and highly rated game, lots of bonus stuff to do, the main missions are very fun and it's a neat game (most would say the best) about THE GODDAMN BATMAN.

Don't do Mass Effect unless you have 60 hours to go through. Or do one ME game, then another game, then ME2 and etc etc.

GT6 can be played whenever, and I don't have high feelings for Far Cry 3. It has a decent open world but.... ehh.... It's good for a game to load up and dick around for in a hour or so, but story really fails.

Far cry 3 also probably looks like rear end on PS3. I can't confirm this but the pretty graphics were like 75% of why that game was good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's obviously not PC good but I did't think it was bad looking at all on the PS3. I thought it played pretty well, had decent performance (if a few framerate hiccups and tears here and there) and was a pretty good way to kill an hour or two. The plot is complete poo poo towards the end though but wreaking havoc is a lot of fun once you get creative.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Far Cry 3 is a very fun game. I own it on both PS3 and PC and while it is playable on PS3, the game feels like it is running at a constant 25 FPS. It just doesn't feel smooth. Its playable on the PS3, but if you have the option of getting it on PC. Get it there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hideki Kamiya (Platinum director) just went off on Twitter (anime as gently caress Japanese game blog warning) about how much he wants to make a galgame. Over several tweets he went over how you would be a high school student and romance all the teachers, gave a bunch of them names, and said that they should all wear glasses. Then someone asked if he could add in a student teacher and he was like ehhhhh, maybe too young.

Well ok then. I guess it's important to be honest with your feelings, that's how you came this far as a developer of awesome games.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'd say Arkham Asylum is a great "mid game" in your list because it's such a great game and the pacing and structure is really solid and concise. It'll make a really nice counterpoint to the meandering that happens even in the best of the Mass Effect games and is as close to a guaranteed good time that you have in that list.

J
Jun 10, 2001

FF13-2 was so forgettable. I played through the entire story and don't remember a thing about it other than being pissed off at the ending.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hideki Kamiya (Platinum director) just went off on Twitter (anime as gently caress Japanese game blog warning) about how much he wants to make a galgame. Over several tweets he went over how you would be a high school student and romance all the teachers, gave a bunch of them names, and said that they should all wear glasses. Then someone asked if he could add in a student teacher and he was like ehhhhh, maybe too young.

Well ok then. I guess it's important to be honest with your feelings, that's how you came this far as a developer of awesome games.

People more knowledgeable about the anime industry than I am have said that instead of going for mass appeal, a lot of series target the otaku crowd, who are a small audience but who are guaranteed to buy overpriced collectors editions if it appeals to them.

Bayonetta is already an uncomfortable game to play with around non-gamers, but at least the gameplay is just a more refined version of Devil May Cry. A dating sim doesn't even play to the company's strengths, since there's very little actual gameplay.

If Kamiya wants to make this game so badly, he should just create a Japan-only browser game or something, and not damage the reputation of Platinum.

J posted:

FF13-2 was so forgettable. I played through the entire story and don't remember a thing about it other than being pissed off at the ending.

I wasn't annoyed by the ending at all, I was just glad that the game was over. I was disappointed by XIII's ending, since I was expecting some explanation for the hours of cutscenes and battles I had to go through to get there, but I'd have to have been reading the datalog throughout the entire game, and reload the game once it's finished to read the entries about the game's ending for it to have made any sense. Even the characters themselves come to the wrong conclusion about what happened, since the cutscenes are told from their perspective, and they never learned what was going on behind the scenes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

That loving Sned posted:

People more knowledgeable about the anime industry than I am have said that instead of going for mass appeal, a lot of series target the otaku crowd, who are a small audience but who are guaranteed to buy overpriced collectors editions if it appeals to them.

Bayonetta is already an uncomfortable game to play with around non-gamers, but at least the gameplay is just a more refined version of Devil May Cry. A dating sim doesn't even play to the company's strengths, since there's very little actual gameplay.

If Kamiya wants to make this game so badly, he should just create a Japan-only browser game or something, and not damage the reputation of Platinum.
Oh, I don't know how serious he was being. It is Twitter after all.

edit: people immediately started speculating about Bayonetta-sensei as a secret character.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 26, 2014

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

barren_sky posted:

I had tried the new Final Fantasy demo hoping it might have some of that ol' FF mojo back, but the writing is still as over-serious, pretentious and boring as it's been for awhile now. Everytime Lightening opened her mouth I wanted to shut off the game (and eventually did). Decided to give Xillia a shot instead and even though it clearly has a fraction of the budget as an FF game, they spent it on the things that matters the most to me in any RPG; interesting characters and interesting places to explore. I'm just a three person party right now, but it feels like Luke, Han & Leia from Star Wars on a grand adventure. The architecture in the towns isn't as grand as Final Fantasy games, but it's well thought out. Things like the villagers who sweep the spiritual symbols into the dirt road through their town everyday to please their goddess. Good stuff.

I think you summed up the difference between these games perfectly, and why I got so much enjoyment out of Graces, but played the FF XIII for 30 hours (10 on the first try, 20 on the second) and just couldn't bother anymore. While FF puts so much attention money into the fabric on Lightning's skirt flowing in the breeze, Tales just wants to give you the most drat RPG for your money. Even after putting in about 80 hours into Graces, I had to start up New Game+ almost immediately. Depending on how you played the game the first time you are given a bank full of credits which you can spend to mod your second playthrough. You get access to things like double experience, double travel speed in the world map, keeping all your titles or money or recipes from the first game, and dozens more ways to enhance the already great experience. While it sounds like Xilia isn't as good (at least gameplay wise?), I think it's a good sign when the first thing I see on starting it up (even before the intro) is a menu letting me customize all the regular Options bits, but also how the camera works in the battle system, and even how it starts up the enemy encounters.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

J posted:

The events of the ending didn't make me mad but the fact that it was essentially a TO BE CONTINUED ending really did. Game's awful but at least the dialogue choices were funny sometimes.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

That loving Sned posted:

I'm guessing it's a joke, or at least a very not serious idea because there was some big back and forth about a character/characters in Bayonetta wearing glasses, which eventually got steamrolled into everybody and their dog having glasses. Sometimes i wonder where Platinum is when it comes to pandering to the otaku crowd or just consisting of otaku types.

If he does go ahead make it, the one sure thing is that the third person camera will be rubbish :v:

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 26, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kamiya's new job is to troll people on Twitter at this point.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Policenaut posted:

Kamiya's new job is to troll people on Twitter at this point.

Kojima must be mentoring him.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I am surprised I haven't seen a gif of this made yet. Turn off the video after the attack finishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YkQGPTfOfus#t=528

Also if you are a Macross fan, import Macross 30. I'm really glad I did and there are some translations out there for you to get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1pNmb8bG0

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wallrod posted:

I'm guessing it's a joke, or at least a very not serious idea because there was some big back and forth about a character/characters in Bayonetta wearing glasses, which eventually got steamrolled into everybody and their dog having glasses. Sometimes i wonder where Platinum is when it comes to pandering to the otaku crowd or just consisting of otaku types.

If he does go ahead make it, the one sure thing is that the third person camera will be rubbish :v:
I think they are very explicitly targeting new audiences for a Japanese developer, including outside of Japan. It's the complete opposite of pandering to the otaku core. I mean, their games are all in English, among other things. Which incidentally made people speculate that a Platinum galgame would be in English and set outside of Japan, which would be quite something for the genre.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 26, 2014

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

According to Bioware alumni Drew Karpyshyn, the original ending the first two games were building up to was the Reapers winnowing organic life since their use of Mass Effect fields had accelerated the slow heat death of the universe. The humans were the key to stopping this. This isn't to say that this ending wasn't without its problems. Why are the Reaper gambling by giving organics the technology to accelerate the heat death of the universe in the hope they somehow fix the heat death of the universe? However, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson went into another direction which broke a lot of in-universe logic.

Wallrod posted:

Platinum is a lot like Tri-Ace and Hexadrive. They're a mid-level, technically skilled, Japanese developer in a market that is moving away from the type of games they make. They're finding work wherever they can since they specialize in a very specific genre. They can't be a company like Idea Factory or Vannillaware without significantly restructuring themselves.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sunning posted:

According to Bioware alumni Drew Karpyshyn, the original ending the first two games were building up to was the Reapers winnowing organic life since their use of Mass Effect fields had accelerated the slow heat death of the universe. The humans were the key to stopping this. This isn't to say that this ending wasn't without its problems. Why are the Reaper gambling by giving organics the technology to accelerate the heat death of the universe in the hope they somehow fix the heat death of the universe? However, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson went into another direction which broke a lot of in-universe logic.

Well, I guess I could sort of understand that idea because you have to spend money to make money, right? You have a dwindling age of the universe to work with, so you may as well spend it whole hog on solving the problem rather than just minimizing the leak and wait until the inevitable death. Still doesn't really explain why there's value in destroying a cycle of life and making them start from scratch because science should benefit from having a long and mature civilization to build on their knowledge and get closer to their goal rather than playing chutes and ladders and having everyone rediscover the wheel. If anything, it's more wasteful for them discover the Relays and be irresponsible with it like stealing dad's car and going hotrodding because it's all new stuff.

Anyway, I think there are so many fundamental story and structure problems with ME3 that it kind of diminishes ME2, which I thought was quite good (outside of mining). ME3 begins with Earth under siege by an unstoppable force that's been show to destroy civilizations and leave no traces. And in earlier episodes each Reaper has proven to require insurmountable force just to repel. And they're massed on earth. It's apocalypse, pure and simple. Absolutely the worst way to begin an RPG. RPGs are just sprawling, meandering epics where you go on sidequests to collect someone's rare baseball card collection. It should never start with your planet being meat grindered.

And then they bent over backward to nullify the consequences of ME2. I appreciated the way the finale of ME2 was setup because it had direct payoff of consequence and paved the way for some real storytelling and dynamics in the sequel. But instead ME3 makes it so that a palette swap and name change rectifies all things. It all becomes character/totally not character and identical consequences. And any advancements you make have no appreciable effect unless you hit a singular arbitrary threshold to get "gooder ending". So drat disappointing. There was no possible way the whole mess could have been concluded better than zero effect red/blue/green ending and the total stranding and starvation of the majority of the universe. I know they DLC fixed some of that but I thought it was the perfect topper to the wasted potential because any possibly interesting dynamic potential was met with the apparent response of "it's soooo hard to do, so we just used a different character model and changed one line of dialogue".

ME3 is mechanically an amazing game and if they were to retrofit ME1 and ME2 with that engine in a remake it would be phenomenal. But as a concluding story chapter, I think it's kind of awful.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Western RPGs suck at pacing, really, and Mass Effect is the worst I've seen ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I just finished ME3 last night after playing through all three games at a clip this month (having never played them before and avoided most spoilers). I hated everything about 3. Structure, pacing, dialogue, characterization, all took a nosedive after how great the first two games were in those regards. A lot of people complained about the ending disregarding the choices you made throughout the series but actually they spent the whole game doing that. Oh you let so and so die? Well here's a reasonable facsimile who advances the plot identically but hates you. Oh you were unfaithful in ME2? That's okay Liara still loves you.

Also, everyone is gay. I would appreciate better attempts to be progressive in game writing but in this one it was completely ham-handed because now my own character is suddenly an equal opportunity philanderer so EVERYONE under my command is trying to bang me as opposed to just the opposite sex (which I guess is the only way to make it so that any player can choose anything they want, so it's fair) but they also threw MY WIFE and MY HUSBAND for same gender characters into what felt like 50% of incidental overheard dialogue. Conveniently though everyone's gay partner is either dead or missing so you never have to SEE anyone be gay unless you are gay yourself. I feel weird complaining about this because I normally support any attempts to get the word out about minorities but I felt like I was being beaten over the head with the gay instead of just having a couple of well written, fleshed out, believable characters that had meaningful interactions with me as opposed to just being the bus driver or some no-name no-quest NPC whose only character trait is "gay". It felt a lot like Strong Females, one-dimensional due to being written by people who don't get it.

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread