Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Farbtoner posted:

This is probably the intent, since their next game (Syndicate) had a .nfo file in the install directory:

pre:
                                  ████████
                              ████        ████
                          ████                ████
                       ███                        ███
                      █             ▓                █
                    ██              ▓                 ██
                   █                ▓▓                  █
                  █                   █▓                 █
                 █                    ▓█                  █
                █   ███            ████▓                   █
               █      █    ▓      ███                       █
               █     ██  ████     ▓███            ████▓     █
              █      ████████      ▓███▓         ▓█   ▓▓     █
             █        ▓▓   ██       ████          █           █
             █             ██▓               ██▓ ▓█▓          █
            █             ▓████    █████    ████████           █
            █             ▓███  ███████████  █████▓            █
           █               ▓█ ███████████████ █                 █
           █                 █████████████████                  █
           █                ██▀▀███████████▀▀██                 █
          █                 ███▀▄▀██▀█▀██▀▄▀███      ▓           █
          █      █▓     ▓█ ████▄   ▄███▄   ▄████   ▓███          █
          █     █ ▓▓   ███ █████████████████████ ██████▓     ▓   █
          █    ▓   █  ████ ████████ ▄█▄ ████████ ███▓ ██   ██    █
          █        █████▓▓ █████████████████████ ███   ██ █▓     █
          █         ███    ██ ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀ ██ ▓▓     ▓█▓      █
          █                 ██ ██▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄██ ██                  █
          █                 ███▄▀█████████▀▄███                  █
           █                 ████▄▀▀███▀▀▄████                  █
           █               ▓  ██████▄▄▄██████  █▓               █
           █             ████   ███████████   ██▓               █
            █           ▓██████    █████    ▓███               █
            █           ██                   ▓██▓              █
             █          ▓█▓        ████      ▓███████         █
             █           █▓        ████      █████▓█▓         █
              █          ██         ████      ▓    ▓         █
               █     █▓███▓         ▓███           █        █
               █    ▓               ███            ▓█       █
                █                   ███                    █
                 █                ▓██                     █
                  █               ██                     █
                   █              ▓█                    █
                    ██              █                 ██
                      █              ▓               █
                       ███           ▓            ███
                          ████                ████
                              ████        ████
                                  ████████

Syndicate™
                          © 2012 ELECTRONIC ARTS, INC.

· ─ ─·-────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────-·─ ─ ·
   DISC Count.......: 01
   Protection.......: Yes

Support the software companies. If you play this game BUY it!

Release Information

Game Notes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Set in 2069, Syndicate takes players into a dark, Machiavellian world run 
    without government oversight with many syndicates vying for total dominance 
    of their local market place. With no one to question their intentions or 
    actions, three mega corporations - Eurocorp, Cayman Global, and Aspari - are 
    at the forefront of this brutal war for control of the pivotal American market. 

In the world of Syndicate, everything is digitally connected, including the 
    people. Players aren't limited to the weapons in their hands. Through DART 6 
    bio-chip technology implanted in their head, players can slow down time and 
    breach the digital world around them to take down their foes using a variety 
    of upgradable hacking mechanics. Syndicate's blend of fast-paced, futuristic, 
    action shooter settings and story combined with innovative chip breach 
    gameplay instantly immerses players in a unique digital world.

Install Notes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1) Insert disc
    2) Play ;)

Starbreeze Application Information

Are you bored with watching from the sidelines? Ready to make the switch?
    Do you have considerable talents in any of the following areas?

- Art, modeling, texturing, sound design

- Programming

- Game design

If you meet one or more of those criteria, and want to be a part of the fun,
    email us at jobs@starbreeze.com today!

For other ways to contact us, see below.

Over a hundred people spent several years of their lives making this game.
    If you like what you play, please consider purchasing it if you haven't

How to Contact Starbreeze

E-Mail: jobs@starbreeze.com
                        Forum:  http://www.starbreezeforum.se/
                        Web:    http://www.starbreeze.com/

SBZ:    No sleep until gold

Ok, this is pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One of the home versions of Dance Dance Revolution had a hidden boss stage called MAX.(period) in it. It uh... wasn't a particularly great piece of music by any stretch of the imagination, and the Expert stepchart is a pretty brutal and relentless affair, but there's one bit in the middle where it has a nice slow pattern (or what feels slow by comparison) to let you rest briefly and get your breath back before the ending. The step pattern in that section is a little odd, though, but the video playing in the background gives you a clue as to where it's from...

...it's actually the hardest part of the hardest song from the first version of DDR.

I just thought that was loving brilliant.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And the distorted voice at the start is saying "WHY DO YOU NEED KONAMI ORIGINAL SONGS?". Guess they heard all the complaints about the lovely home version songlists.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

In Guild Wars 2, one of the first renown hearts you encounter in the Asura starting area has you messing with the programming of a bunch of robots. Asura characters get a bunch of technobabble options, while any other race gets a bunch of simplistic meddling like cutting colored wires and messing with random parts (my favorite is "curse at it" :allears:) because they don't know how golem technology works.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Prenton posted:

The best "What the Hell?" ending music is MDK's.

After finishing the game and watching that video play out I eventually found BZK's album and bought it just for that song.

Pearl Forrester
Dec 10, 2011

We are 40 light years outside of the Buttermilk Nebula, although it's possible that... Yeah, this is a sticker.
I'm still playing through Assassin"s Creed 3. I really love the naval missions, especially all the little details in the ship. When you call for full or half sails the crew scurries around on deck actually lowering or raising the sails. Its not just you dictating where the ship goes, you control Connor who spins the steering wheel. It really give you the feeling that you're captaining a ship.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Mark of the Ninja doesn't really have a grandiose plot, it knows what it's going for and does it well. But the end is loving magnificent. You end up having to make a choice you had no clue even EXISTED up until then, but is actually a tough choice, considering everything that happened in the game.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I'm playing AC Revelations and I love sending out my dudes (and dudettes!) to wholesale murder the jerks that are hassling me.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I'm thoroughly entranced by one of the littlest things in Guild Wars 2: my female human guardian hums to herself when she's dancing :3: I never would have noticed if I hadn't turned off the music.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm playing AC Revelations and I love sending out my dudes (and dudettes!) to wholesale murder the jerks that are hassling me.

I liked it better in AC:Brotherhood myself. If you did it outside Rome, your Assassins would ride in on horses and leap onto the poor son of a bitch whose day you decided to ruin with a casual gesture. That and when they'd just leap out of piles of hay/leaves like they'd always been there.

DamnDirtyCat
Dec 6, 2012
In Dawn of War 2, the Space Marines fire caseless ammunition like they're supposed to.

Watching hundreds of non-fluff rounds hit the ground in Dawn of War 1 was irritating.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DamnDirtyCat posted:

In Dawn of War 2, the Space Marines fire caseless ammunition like they're supposed to.

Watching hundreds of non-fluff rounds hit the ground in Dawn of War 1 was irritating.

I thought the best thing about Dawn of War 2 is that some units, even cannon fodder like Imperial Guard Sentinels, get 5 or more minutes of reaction quotes. Some are actually pretty funny.

Ork announcer when upgrading to Angry Bitz or something: "Boyz... the Boss says he wants to be... angrier?"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I thought the best thing about Dawn of War 2 is that some units, even cannon fodder like Imperial Guard Sentinels, get 5 or more minutes of reaction quotes. Some are actually pretty funny.

Ork announcer when upgrading to Angry Bitz or something: "Boyz... the Boss says he wants to be... angrier?"

Relic's unit reaction quotes to pretty much anything that can happen in a fight is one of my favorite things about them as a developer. Stuff like units responding calmly when selected outside of combat, but yelling over comms when they're in a firefight. They even specify the type of cover enemies are hiding behind.

Oddly enough, the Space Marine Terminator squad in DoW2 has a surprisingly large amount of takes on "Warp Spiders in the pipes!".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Prenton posted:

The best "What the Hell?" ending music is MDK's.

On the topic of MDK, when you beat MDK 2 and wait long enough (or put the game cd into a cd player and skip to the last track) you hear this. I couldn't find just the track, so if this link doesn't send you right there, skip to 28:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHgQuHPHus&t=1722s

Lizard Wizard posted:

As long as we're posting weird music, here's what plays in the bonus levels in Skullmonkeys.

Bless you. I miss The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys.

Too bad Doug Tennapel is a shithead.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

Mark of the Ninja doesn't really have a grandiose plot, it knows what it's going for and does it well. But the end is loving magnificent. You end up having to make a choice you had no clue even EXISTED up until then, but is actually a tough choice, considering everything that happened in the game.

I just beat it myself. It's surprisingly well done, though I feel silly for not realizing what's going on much sooner.

toasterwarrior posted:

Relic's unit reaction quotes to pretty much anything that can happen in a fight is one of my favorite things about them as a developer. Stuff like units responding calmly when selected outside of combat, but yelling over comms when they're in a firefight. They even specify the type of cover enemies are hiding behind.

"Puma is trying to engage our armor, good luck!" :smug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pearl Forrester posted:

I'm still playing through Assassin"s Creed 3. I really love the naval missions, especially all the little details in the ship. When you call for full or half sails the crew scurries around on deck actually lowering or raising the sails. Its not just you dictating where the ship goes, you control Connor who spins the steering wheel. It really give you the feeling that you're captaining a ship.
Similar to this, the riding controls in Shadow of the Colossus get a bad rap for being sluggy and unresponsive, but there's a point to it: you're controlling the rider, not the horse itself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TurninTrix posted:

"Puma is trying to engage our armor, good luck!" :smug:

The American and British armor crew lines are so loving great. I installed a mod for World of Tanks that replaced the in-built voices with the ones from CoH.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There's an upcoming part with Altair that you're gonna love.

To contribute: I love how in XCOM, when you're shooting through a window, you smash out the window with the butt end of your weapon first.

Also from XCOM: when you develop the laser and plasma weapons, there's a little cinematic showing one of your scientists testing them out on a firing range. He fires at a target with a picture of an alien on it. Fans of the old version of XCOM will recognize them as the UFOPedia pictures for the Sectoids and Mutons.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TurninTrix posted:

I just beat it myself. It's surprisingly well done, though I feel silly for not realizing what's going on much sooner.

Yeah, you just don't see it coming, and it's so well-done regardless. How'd you end up choosing? I killed Azai because regardless of the fact that the tattoos were making me insane, he was still using me + he had Dosan locked up :( I'm gonna pick the other option after NG+, probably.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm thoroughly entranced by one of the littlest things in Guild Wars 2: my female human guardian hums to herself when she's dancing :3: I never would have noticed if I hadn't turned off the music.

Asurans beatbox when they do their little robot dance too.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp

Blind Sally posted:

As far as I can tell, this song is unlike anything else in either Assault On Dark Athena or Escape From Butcher Bay.
It's worth noting that the game's composer is Gustaf Grefberg (AKA Lizardking). You can't take the scene out of the scener!

I like how in Rival Ball (a Breakout derivative), if you hit enough gold bricks in a row, all the non-explosive bricks turn into normal bricks so you only have to hit them once, preventing the ball from getting trapped. Also if you spend too much time without hitting any bricks when only a few are left, lightning comes and strikes some of them so it doesn't drag on forever.

Toastline has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Dec 10, 2012

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Back when Halo 2 first came out, my friend and I thought it was hilarious that in the campaign, when two GIANT spider-like robots were destroying a town, one of your fellow soldiers thought it necessary to shout, "TWO SCARABS, I COUNT TWO SCARABS!!!!!"

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Similar to this, the riding controls in Shadow of the Colossus get a bad rap for being sluggy and unresponsive, but there's a point to it: you're controlling the rider, not the horse itself.

Something I noticed on the second playthrough was that the horse would follow a narrow path if you just let it do its job and didn't try to steer it along it. Crossing the bridges near the castle became much easier.

Also you can kill pretty much any wildlife you see. None of the killing is mandatory and only one animal provides something useful for you.

You can also grab a flying bird and it will carry you for a little while before it tires.

There's so much cool little stuff in Shadow of the Colossus, but I'm pretty sure most of it has been posted in this thread already.

Perfect painting
Nov 27, 2011

In Max Payne 3, you can rotate the camera around max while the game is paused by moving the right stick.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

Yeah, you just don't see it coming, and it's so well-done regardless. How'd you end up choosing? I killed Azai because regardless of the fact that the tattoos were making me insane, he was still using me + he had Dosan locked up :( I'm gonna pick the other option after NG+, probably.

I did the same thing, since it didn't seem right to back down after I've already murdered half the clan in revenge. :ninja: Also, for Dossan. Definitely going to do the other choice on NG+, maybe ghost the last level if possible.

Hm, is there a Mark of the Ninja thread around here?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
All the guns in Far Cry 3 are lovely third world pieces of crap that were snapped up for cheap third hand. As a result they look and sound endearingly beat up. :allears:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Look? Tell that to my shiny chrome Dragunov.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As someone who never played any of the Farcry games but plugged 200 hours into Just Cause 2, would I like it?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Idiootti posted:

Something I noticed on the second playthrough was that the horse would follow a narrow path if you just let it do its job and didn't try to steer it along it. Crossing the bridges near the castle became much easier.

Also you can kill pretty much any wildlife you see. None of the killing is mandatory and only one animal provides something useful for you.

You can also grab a flying bird and it will carry you for a little while before it tires.

There's so much cool little stuff in Shadow of the Colossus, but I'm pretty sure most of it has been posted in this thread already.

Yeah the horse was horsey as gently caress. You kind of just had to let it do it's own thing; it was programmed like an animal with an actual sense of self preservation, rather than a four legged motorcycle.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Inzombiac posted:

As someone who never played any of the Farcry games but plugged 200 hours into Just Cause 2, would I like it?

If it's anything like FarCry 2, you'll be sitting there wishing you were playing Just Cause 2.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I dunno, probably not on that connection alone. There's a lot less stupid twang-guitar spectacle and more skulking around enemy camps, carefully planning who to shank/arrow first. Or just walking in with a flamethrower and torching everybody while some wub-wub reggae drops the bass, that's okay too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

do girls poop posted:

In Max Payne 3, you can rotate the camera around max while the game is paused by moving the right stick.

Does anyone know how to do this on PC?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

The first time I killed a goat in Far Cry 3 it fell over just like the goats in t his video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

poptart_fairy posted:

All the guns in Far Cry 3 are lovely third world pieces of crap that were snapped up for cheap third hand. As a result they look and sound endearingly beat up. :allears:

Oh, and the handbook entries written by an American spy on the island are hilarious. The one for the flamethrower basically says "No-one knows how these got here. How did you even manage to find one? Whatever, it sets poo poo on fire."

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Baron von Eevl posted:

If it's anything like FarCry 2, you'll be sitting there wishing you were playing Just Cause 2.

Light-years ahead of Far Cry 2, IMO. FC3 is so much drat fun. I was getting set up to take down a base, and I was using the Steam Chat overlay to tell someone about it. I close the overlay and I hear a warbling noise. I turn around, and there's a Cassowary behind me. I move away from it, and turn back around. More warbling. Now there's 3 more surrounding me on all sides. loving things were trying to pull a 'clever girl' moment on me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

FarCry 3 is an improvement over FarCry2 in almost every possible way. :frogout:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I rented Far Cry 3 and proceeded to completely ignore the story, and spend the first five hours of the game running around the island hunting animals, climbing radio towers, and clearing encampments.

It is far to much fun to sneak into a camp, set up a series of carefully placed mines and C4, disable the alarm, and then sneak out of the camp and shoot the door off the leopard cage.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
Replaying Dishonored now and I noticed something really cool. No spoilers involved just a neat little touch they put in.

In the High Overseers office there are a number of urns all over the place holding the remains of famous Overseers. If you attack them the ashes will spill out onto the floor. Except for one guy. I destroyed his urn and nothing came out. Confused I checked his little blurb and it says that he died but no body was ever recovered. Hence the empty urn.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Oh, and the handbook entries written by an American spy on the island are hilarious. The one for the flamethrower basically says "No-one knows how these got here. How did you even manage to find one? Whatever, it sets poo poo on fire."

My favorite part is that he's probably not even a spy, just some crazy dude. His teammates always conveniently seem to be "out in the field" whenever you need them, he's not really any better equipped than anyone else on the island, and when he leaves, he says he's going to link up with Task Force 141 for extraction.

That game seriously has the best combat I've ever played. You spend a lot of time watching and planning, and then annihilate an entire enemy outpost in seconds of intense violence. It's so satisfying to watch a plan click into place like that.

Of course, you can always just wait for bears or a pack of dingoes to show up :getin:

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah. It was really jarring going from that to playing Twilight Princess and trying to defend a wagon when your horse just goes in a straight goddamn line whenever you aim arrows instead of following the wagon.

• Locked thread