Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm no expert but I recall reading somewhere that Valhalla was for warriors who died in battle, but normal people who died of old age or disease went to Helheim, which is much more like the Greco-Roman Hades, where it's kinda gloomy. Also I think Freya got half of all warriors that died in battle, and Odin got the other half. Odin's half went to Valhalla and Freya's half went to some fields or something.

Valhalla seems to be a uniquely Norse concept. I don't think the pagan Anglo-Saxons had a concept of it, or the older pre-Roman Germanic people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blue Star posted:

I'm no expert but I recall reading somewhere that Valhalla was for warriors who died in battle, but normal people who died of old age or disease went to Helheim, which is much more like the Greco-Roman Hades, where it's kinda gloomy. Also I think Freya got half of all warriors that died in battle, and Odin got the other half. Odin's half went to Valhalla and Freya's half went to some fields or something.

Valhalla seems to be a uniquely Norse concept. I don't think the pagan Anglo-Saxons had a concept of it, or the older pre-Roman Germanic people.

Valhalla was only for warriors and according to this reddit AMA with a Norse mythology expert, it was literally a coin flip if you got in with Odin or had to go hang out with Freya in a vast field. If you were a legendary warrior or a legendary king you'd go to Odin no matter what.

Hel is the place where people who die of old age or sickness go, including warriors. Helheim is just the home of Hel I suppose but yeah. It's not necessarily a bad place but it's like having to go hang out in Delaware for all eternity.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Blue Star posted:

If I remember right, my Old English professor in college said that Anglo-Saxon pagans had basically no afterlife except being remembered (hence the focus on fame in stuff like Beowulf), which was one reason they converted to Christianity so easily: it was way less depressing.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I still miss Leif... as far as I'm concerned that Christian should have given his blood to Odin looong ago.

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 14, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doltos posted:

Hel is the place where people who die of old age or sickness go, including warriors. Helheim is just the home of Hel I suppose but yeah. It's not necessarily a bad place but it's like having to go hang out in Delaware for all eternity.
Hel is eating stale bread in a leaky house under a perpetually overcast sky, forever.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Genetic success isn't how many babies you make, more how many babies your (and your siblings') babies make.

Another quirk of viking culture that'd be tough for us to stomach is they practiced infanticide via exposure. If a baby had a deformity or seemed otherwise weak and unhealthy, it was kosher to just leave it out in the woods and let nature deal with it. They had laws regarding other uses of this practice, very poor people who could not afford another mouth were allowed to practice this on healthy infants but the rich could not. Occasionally it comes up in sagas that a man of importance just does it anyway but gets his comeuppance when wolves and bears sense the child's potential and raise the child themselves. Of course the kid returns as a man to claim his birthright in a very viking way later on.

That was another reason why I was against Ivar being born with health issues but whatevs, Ragnar did seem very detatched and ambivalent to Ivar so you still get the sense that defects are very frowned upon in this culture.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hard counter posted:

That was another reason why I was against Ivar being born with health issues but whatevs, Ragnar did seem very detatched and ambivalent to Ivar so you still get the sense that defects are very frowned upon in this culture.
It was a test from Odin to see whether Ragnar would not sacrifice his son. He passed, and Odin rewarded him by curing Ivar. Having sex with Aslaug was his reward for promoting a better set of morals than the Christian God.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hel is eating stale bread in a leaky house under a perpetually overcast sky, forever.

Yeah, so... Delaware

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

hard counter posted:

Another quirk of viking culture that'd be tough for us to stomach is they practiced infanticide via exposure.

Up until the twentieth century (or late 19th, depends on where you're at), that was standard practice in all of the western world.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

I thought Bjorn was dead and I was so mad because he's supposed to lead the Great Heathen Army. I saw him climbing the wall and said "well, I know for sure he's not dying." Then he's laying there with his eyes wide open all dead like. drat good episode. Was nice to see Floki crying like a baby in freezing cold water after all the annoying bullshit he's been on lately.

Ecbert whooped them almost as bad last season...they should have scouted better.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 14, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hardawn posted:

I still miss Kanute... as far as I'm concerned that Christian should have given his blood to Odin looong ago.

It's Knut. :eng101:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Doltos posted:

The scene at the gate got me thinking how lovely it must have been to be a warrior back then. You basically live your entire life up until that moment just to get shot by an arrow or a ballista bolt. There was a girl at the front of that scene who lowered her shield for half a second to see what the hell just destroyed nine people around her and immediately gets shot right in the forehead by a crossbolt. That would suck so loving much, I'd be so pissed if I was looking down at my dead body in ghost form being like, "Really,, that's how I loving die? I lowered my shield for a loving second dude, this poo poo ain't fair at all."

There's a book about the invasion of Normandy, the name of which I can't remember, where the author spends about three pages talking about this one airborne soldier. He talks about the guy's three years of intense training, learning to jump from an aircraft, shoot, conditioning, leadership training, his background everything. He's highly motivated, well equipped, incredibly well trained, exactly the kind of soldier you want in a fight. As he jumps out of the plane over Normandy his parachute fails to deploy and he's killed on impact.

War sucks.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Volkerball posted:

It's Knut. :eng101:

Thanks, I was actually thinking of Lief

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kemper Boyd posted:

Up until the twentieth century (or late 19th, depends on where you're at), that was standard practice in all of the western world.

While I don't doubt that it occurred in the west (poo poo like that still occurs in modern times after all), I doubt that it occurred to a similiar extent for similar reasons. Judiasm, Christianity and Islam all gravely oppose infanticide whereas norse beliefs held fewer prohibitions. Western medieval art does feature adults, some even lower class, with clubfoot, harelip, congenital lameness, dysmelia, etc meaning an appreciable number survived into adulthood. The use of orphanages/churches for unwanted children was already the most popular method for the disposing of children by the end of the middle ages and dumping a child at a monastery was a valid approach after Benedict of Nursia, though individuals like prostitutes rarely used these options. You're right though, it wasn't totally an unknown, alien thing in the west. I should have just said it wasn't so taboo in norse culture compared to elsewhere.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I always find it morbidly funny that because of my Tourette's if I had been born during the medieval period I probably would have been burned at the stake as possessed.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kemper Boyd posted:

Up until the present you mean. You still have women attempting to leave children in dumpsters and toilets.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Until ragnarok. Their is no forever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

darthzeta88 posted:

Until ragnarok. Their is no forever.

Ragnarok is cycle, so you probably get another chance at Valhalla but you'll gently caress it up and you're back to eating stale bread inside leaky house 2.0. This time the sky is smoggy instead of overcast.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

YouTuber posted:

Up until the present you mean. You still have women attempting to leave children in dumpsters and toilets.

I... I don't think that's standard practice anymore bro

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I always find it morbidly funny that because of my Tourette's if I had been born during the medieval period I probably would have been burned at the stake as possessed.

Just wait a few years for the collapse of western civilization. We'll burn you then. :flame:

hard counter posted:

I... I don't think that's standard practice anymore bro

It may not be a standard practice anymore, but it still happens often enough that it is still a problem.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dalael posted:

It may not be a standard practice anymore, but it still happens often enough that it is still a problem.

It's a social pressure/stress thing more than a conscious practice. Just about any mammal will abandon (...or eat, yuck) its young in an adequately stressful situation.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Is this a subject that really belongs in the Vikings TV show thread? Lol

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Is this a subject that really belongs in the Vikings TV show thread? Lol

I mean it started as something vaguely pertinent and then just derailed

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Gyges posted:

Ragnarok is cycle, so you probably get another chance at Valhalla but you'll gently caress it up and you're back to eating stale bread inside leaky house 2.0. This time the sky is smoggy instead of overcast.
Lol Wtf are you smoking

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

darthzeta88 posted:

Lol Wtf are you smoking

Probably the same thing that Rollo is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8mNkLl_g0

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gyges posted:

darthzeta88 posted:

Lol Wtf are you smoking

Lowtechs posted:

Probably the same thing that Rollo is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8mNkLl_g0

Yeah, Ragnarok is not a cycle thing where there's going to be a new world created again afterward, rinse repeat.

Edit: there are a couple sources that talk about two humans surviving to repopulate the world and the surviving gods returning, but Ragnarok is the end of the world and it is Bad poo poo. Natural disasters, a bunch of gods die, etc. That account (of people surviving and repopulating the world) is from Snorri Sturluson who is very unabashedly Christian and recording Norse legends and poetry to preserve the poetic and literary tradition. He paints a lot of Christian motifs onto the Norse mythology, so take that with a grain of salt. We have pretty much dick all about what everyday Norse religion and beliefs look like.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 17, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Everything I've ever read is that Ragnarok is cyclical. Creation is destroyed, then at the end creation is reborn. It's not literally the same world, no. Baldur returns, humans return, and then everything starts up again. Trying to make it the Norse version of Christian style end times is trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gyges posted:

Trying to make it the Norse version of Christian style end times is trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

That's really the issue, though. Almost all of what little we know about Norse religion and mythology is coming from Christian writers late in the period (1000-1100 and after). I dunno that I'd call Norse cosmology "cyclical" but I really would need to go back to my books to put forward a good academic argument to that point. I'll concede the point and settle for "we don't really know for sure or much at all about Norse religion."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Cyclical probably isn't quite the right word for it. It's not that the world is the same every time, just that it is formed, then destroyed, then formed again, and so on in different ways. Though most of my knowledge comes from loving to read mythology as a kid and then whatever insanity Kirby crammed into Thor on me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gyges posted:

Cyclical probably isn't quite the right word for it. It's not that the world is the same every time, just that it is formed, then destroyed, then formed again, and so on in different ways. Though most of my knowledge comes from loving to read mythology as a kid and then whatever insanity Kirby crammed into Thor on me.

Yeah there are like a grand total of five major sources on Norse religion and mythology, we actually know dick all.

-Ibn Fadlan's accounts of his travels among the Rus (922). Describes a ship burial and Norse hygeine (this is where we get the lovely face wash and snot bowl scenes).
-Adam of Bremen writes a history of the Bishops of Hamburg in the 1070s, Christian dude and mostly about the history of the region (including Viking age) and less about mythology and religion directly, though this is where the account of the temple at Uppsala and the sacrifice nine of everything every nine years comes from.
-Saxo Grammaticus writes Gesta Danorum (history of the Danes) in the 12th century. Again a Christian writer, this is half history of the region and half masturbatory Norse fanfic-- the mythologized history of Denmark. Hamlet is loosely based off parts of this.
-Snorri Sturluson writes the Prose or Younger Edda ca. 1220. He goes to lengths to assure readers he's totally Christian and just writing down this pagan poetry to preserve the tradition for future Icelandic poets and scholars. Probably grafts a lot of Christian motifs onto the mythology, like setting up Loki as more of a temptor/Satan figure.
-Poetic Edda, also coming out of Iceland sometime in the 13th century. Probably the most "authentic" source of pre-Christian Norse mythology.

The actual Icelandic sagas are mostly about familial blood feuds and goatfucking.

Note that this show is set in the early Viking age which would be a couple centuries before any of those documents

Edit: all that is not really meant as a criticism of the show, I think it does a pretty solid job of presenting Norse culture, religion, and mythology as we know it. Which is not really at all :shrug:

For anyone interested, you can read through the Eddas in an afternoon. I'd avoid Adam of Bremen and Saxo because those are exceptionally tedious texts. Njals Saga (or the Saga of Burning Njal) is a little dry but probably the best of the Icelandic sagas for a read-through and contains a lot of blood feuding and Norse justice system both of which are pretty faithfully portrayed in the TV show.

Now that I think about it, Floki's religious fatalism is one of the main themes of Njals Saga

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 17, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So what was that flag that Gisela had up there

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sash! posted:

So what was that flag that Gisela had up there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriflamme

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I know this show isn't super spot-on in terms of historical accuracy, but I love that they integrate stuff like this.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 17, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I could figure out she was saying it was Saint SOMETHING but couldn't extract it from her accent. Wonder what happened to it after Agincourt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah there are like a grand total of five major sources on Norse religion and mythology, we actually know dick all.

Yeah most of it is due to how even though the Vikings did have a system of writing, they didn't do extensive record keep like other civilizations.

So basically you really don't have any sort of direct primary documents to understand the inner workings of the civilization.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sash! posted:

I could figure out she was saying it was Saint SOMETHING but couldn't extract it from her accent. Wonder what happened to it after Agincourt.

Considering how much of a straight-up massacre Agincourt was I'm kinda picturing Henry V wiping his rear end with it. Probably not what happened but it's fun to ponder

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah most of it is due to how even though the Vikings did have a system of writing, they didn't do extensive record keep like other civilizations.

So basically you really don't have any sort of direct primary documents to understand the inner workings of the civilization.

Importantly, we know almost nothing about what everyday worship looked like or what the Vikings thought about the gods, mostly we have epic poems that describe the mythology.

Runes and the act of carving runes was some pretty serious Odin magic so unfortunately you don't even get things like graffiti which tells us a lot about Roman life (for example).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shieldmaiden Frogmen. Frogmaidens?

This would be a lot more thrilling if watching it through comcast's live online streaming wasn't a loving disaster tonight.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ninja vikings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

this rolling spike thing is awesome

• Locked thread