Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Trabisnikof posted:

What do Afghanistan, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Benin, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Eqypt, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebannon, Libya, Morocco, Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Syria, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Yemen have in common?
Are countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Khisanth Magus posted:

My wife and I had half-seriously talked about relocating out of the midwest, but if weather is just going to get more extreme as global warming increases we may want to more seriously start looking. Earlier today I actually polled random places in the world looking for any place that was as cold as Iowa is right now. The only place I could find was a town in the extreme north of siberia, even McMurdo in Antarctica was warmer than us.

Come to Chicago, we're projected to have more above-90 degree days than texas currently receives due to climate change

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Trabisnikof posted:

What do Afghanistan, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Benin, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Eqypt, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebannon, Libya, Morocco, Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Syria, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, United States and Yemen have in common?

Almost thought you were quoting the "countries America has been to war with" line from Battle Royale 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mister Macys posted:

Almost thought you were quoting the "countries America has bombed" line from Battle Royale 2 until I saw Canada.

We bombed them in the revolutionary war with arnolds expedition up there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
We really don't get taught enough history in Canada. :sigh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

In open conflict against ISIS?

Very close!

At war with ISIS and/or Boko Haram.

Who needs nukes to start WWIII?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Salt Lake City is really affordable, we made it into the top 10 list. I paid 89k for my house which was before the housing boom, now it would go for around 105. If you're moving from a really expensive place everything here will seem dirt cheap. We also have low humidity and actually know how to plow our roads when it does snow. The downside of course, is the LDS-dominated state legislature but if you live in SLC proper it's very liberal (a district in SLC kept electing an out lesbian state legislator until she moved) and if you post here you probably already have a drinking problem so you won't notice so much!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

pengun101 posted:

We bombed them in the revolutionary war with arnolds expedition up there.

And then again in the war of 1812 and then a couple of times between 1866-1871.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SubponticatePoster posted:

Salt Lake City is really affordable, we made it into the top 10 list. I paid 89k for my house which was before the housing boom, now it would go for around 105. If you're moving from a really expensive place everything here will seem dirt cheap. We also have low humidity and actually know how to plow our roads when it does snow. The downside of course, is the LDS-dominated state legislature but if you live in SLC proper it's very liberal (a district in SLC kept electing an out lesbian state legislator until she moved) and if you post here you probably already have a drinking problem so you won't notice so much!

Counter point: 3.2 beer.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

Counter point: 3.2 beer.
By weight, not volume. So it's pretty much the same as any other beer. Also I'd like to introduce you to Epic Brewing. And we have a few good brewpubs here, plus Uintah Brewery's Polygamy Porter. Their slogan is "Bring some home for the wives!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Well then who the gently caress is Hitler in this little morality play?

Nasrallah standing on al-Baghdadi's shoulders wearing a long overcoat, trying to get into the movies with one ticket.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

By weight, not volume. So it's pretty much the same as any other beer. Also I'd like to introduce you to Epic Brewing. And we have a few good brewpubs here, plus Uintah Brewery's Polygamy Porter. Their slogan is "Bring some home for the wives!"

I know I used that example as a difference between %mass and %volume when I taught chemistry.

I'm talking about having to go to a state-run liquor store for your non 3.2-beer alcohol. Those often have lovely hours.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

By weight, not volume. So it's pretty much the same as any other beer.

Ehh....4% abv is still ruling out a whole lot of good beers.

That Epic Brewing outfit seem to have their heads on straight though. Given the name, I was expecting some horrible bacon stout-ish things.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
State-run liquor is both a pain and a plus. A pain because only certain stores are open until 10pm (there's one a few blocks from my house, but it closes at 7 and I can't count the number of times I've wanted something only to realize it's 7:05 and I'm not drivng to the next closest one because even though it's only a couple extra miles I'm fuckin' lazy) and they are closed on Sundays/holidays. A plus because it's a goddamn monopoly and the state tells distributors what they're paying if they want to sell booze here at all. This leads to overall lower prices, surprisingly. There are always alternatives too, like going to said brewpubs and buying a growler (half gallon of beer) which you can do until those places close (at midnight or 1am) and they're open 7 days a week.

We even have gay marriage, which puts us ahead of several other states!

e: Epic is a good place, and the beer culture here is surprisingly robust. Not PNW robust, but definitely healthy. If you ever find yourself here you'll be able to find good beers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

Come to Chicago, we're projected to have more above-90 degree days than texas currently receives due to climate change

It's going to be in the negatives the next two days, shut up :mad: (I don't think it ever hit 90 last summer by the lake and isn't going to again this summer)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
A (hawkish) federal judge in Texas has blocked the expanded DACA program. Trying to learn more, considering starting a thread, lmk if there is interest.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If the southern states are so states rights get them immigrants out why don't they just kick them out themselves instead of being welfare queens and crying for the federal govt to do it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

If the southern states are so states rights get them immigrants out why don't they just kick them out themselves instead of being welfare queens and crying for the federal govt to do it?

Because states are prohibited from enforcing immigration laws (and they secretly don't want to :ssh: )

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Personally I'd be pretty happy with the death of homeland security, since that gross republican bloat project has always made me irrationally angry given that the dept of defense already existed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

State-run liquor is both a pain and a plus. A pain because only certain stores are open until 10pm (there's one a few blocks from my house, but it closes at 7 and I can't count the number of times I've wanted something only to realize it's 7:05 and I'm not drivng to the next closest one because even though it's only a couple extra miles I'm fuckin' lazy) and they are closed on Sundays/holidays. A plus because it's a goddamn monopoly and the state tells distributors what they're paying if they want to sell booze here at all. This leads to overall lower prices, surprisingly. There are always alternatives too, like going to said brewpubs and buying a growler (half gallon of beer) which you can do until those places close (at midnight or 1am) and they're open 7 days a week.

We even have gay marriage, which puts us ahead of several other states!

e: Epic is a good place, and the beer culture here is surprisingly robust. Not PNW robust, but definitely healthy. If you ever find yourself here you'll be able to find good beers.
You are unique in that then, I've lived in multiple state run liquor states and it has always been a smaller selection at higher prices

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

You are unique in that then, I've lived in multiple state run liquor states and it has always been a smaller selection at higher prices

I miss state run liquor in WA. It was cheaper too. Bottle of Jack is 2$ more at Safeway then it was at the WA liquor store.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

zoux posted:

Because states are prohibited from enforcing immigration laws (and they secretly don't want to :ssh: )

God I'm remembering when some tea bagger idiots decided to really impose super strict anti-immigration laws in Alabama and Georgia and all the agriculture business poo poo a brick because a huge amount of illegals immigrants did leave the state and they ended up with rotting produce worth millions in all their fields cause they couldn't harvest it

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nobody will vote for Jack Conway

he is a weak man who cannot lift his wife very high

Bevin '15

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Fried Chicken posted:

Virginia's last republican governor tried to get rid of the ABC, but failed because it was cheaper for customers and higher tax revenues than otherwise.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Bevin '15

I'd be okay with elections being decided by tests of physical strength. If Republicans being backwards idiots can't disqualify them, their pasty, doughy bodies surely will.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boise is more or less the same except not quite as crazy regarding Mormonism at the state level (but still pretty Mormon).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

Bevin '15

Wait I'm confused why isn't he picking up Marcy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "The Mississippi Klan salutes Alabama's chief justice Roy Moore, for refusing to bow to the yoke of Federal tyranny. The Feds have no authority over individual States marriage laws. The fudgepackers from Hollywood and all major news networks are in shock that the good people from the heart of Dixie are resisting their Imperialist, Communist Homosexual agenda!" ~ Brent Waller, Imperial Wizard of the United Dixie White Knights.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Personally I'd be pretty happy with the death of homeland security, since that gross republican bloat project has always made me irrationally angry given that the dept of defense already existed.

It does more than just defense though, and there were some legitimate problems that were intended to be solved by its creation. It has also, of course, created new problems. But I'm not sure I'd be willing to scrap the whole thing and and return to the silo'd culture that existed prior to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "The Mississippi Klan salutes Alabama's chief justice Roy Moore, for refusing to bow to the yoke of Federal tyranny. The Feds have no authority over individual States marriage laws. The fudgepackers from Hollywood and all major news networks are in shock that the good people from the heart of Dixie are resisting their Imperialist, Communist Homosexual agenda!" ~ Brent Waller, Imperial Wizard of the United Dixie White Knights.

As if he needed more indication that he is on the wrong side with this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Hmmm well he raises some cogent points. Have the fudgepackers from Hollywood responded?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Hmmm well he raises some cogent points. Have the fudgepackers from Hollywood responded?

They're still busy choosing the right color for the ballots to elect a spokesperson to give the response. It may be a while.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

Hmmm....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

They're still busy choosing the right color for the ballots to elect a spokesperson to give the response. It may be a while.

http://www.californiafudgefactory.com/

I look forward to hearing from them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Someone's still fantasizing about a slave empire stretching from the Mason Dixon to the Tierra del Fuego.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

Boise is more or less the same except not quite as crazy regarding Mormonism at the state level (but still pretty Mormon).
Boise's not bad, been there a few times for rugby. However, Idaho cannot give us poo poo about anything until they stop electing a man named Butch Otter.

Fried Chicken posted:

It is weird, I'll go out of state and think "gently caress yeah, let's go to the liquor store!" and then it's like $10 more than back home. Also you can order anything in as long as you buy a case of it, whether it's wines/spirits, but the larger stores (and the wine store especially) have a decent selection from horse piss to top-shelf.

Anyway, I feel that instead of running away it would be more satisfying to get a bunch of degenerates to live here so we can push the Mormons into irrelevance :kheldragar:

e: on an actual USPol note, there was an article today in the local about how Jon Huntsman is considering running against Mike Lee for his senate seat :getin:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Is La Jolla close enough?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.californiafudgefactory.com/

I look forward to hearing from them.

Even better.

My joke wasn't very good.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joementum posted:

Is La Jolla close enough?

At least he's wearing protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

Even better.

My joke wasn't very good.

I fully expect them to send a box of fudge anuses.
http://www.edibleanus.com/

• Locked thread