Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

”partial” fire damage is technically correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

significant portions of the vehicle, including the engine block, transmission, and various mechanical components, tires, back side of the car remain intact and potentially operational.

:thunk:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah how much of the running gear in a bmw is plastic? (Probably a large large amount)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The guy who runs the Alcan 5000 is selling the Toyota Sequoia he drove up to Anchorage, and this is the engine bay photo he put on Craigslist.

Taken on the side of the road near Snag Junction, Yukon Territory. It looks clean because everything is soaked in coolant. If you look closely, you can see my screwdriver handle plugging a heater hose where a fitting cracked after hitting a frost heave in the road too hard.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

The guy who runs the Alcan 5000 is selling the Toyota Sequoia he drove up to Anchorage, and this is the engine bay photo he put on Craigslist.

Taken on the side of the road near Snag Junction, Yukon Territory. It looks clean because everything is soaked in coolant. If you look closely, you can see my screwdriver handle plugging a heater hose where a fitting cracked after hitting a frost heave in the road too hard.

Home-Grown content is the best.

You got your Wera back, right? :ohdear:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Home-Grown content is the best.

You got your Wera back, right? :ohdear:

It's still broken, but yes it sits proudly in my toolbox. One of the Alcan organizers was able to source a Dorman hose tee in Tok, Alaska and he swapped it out in the hotel parking lot in Fairbanks. As a prank, he didn't tell the owner, so everyone in that car showed up all bundled up and ready for a -17 F day only to be surprised by a working heater.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It's still broken, but yes it sits proudly in my toolbox. One of the Alcan organizers was able to source a Dorman hose tee in Tok, Alaska and he swapped it out in the hotel parking lot in Fairbanks. As a prank, he didn't tell the owner, so everyone in that car showed up all bundled up and ready for a -17 F day only to be surprised by a working heater.

B.... burn?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah it's a good-natured old man kind of prank where the joke is that you're surprised things are better than you thought they'd be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://allenbolson.nextlot.com/auctions/1549762/lots/31602810

oooh, silver 80s japanese sports car.

The HVAC/Stereo stack is amazing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That is bad rear end.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I had the BLACK AND GOLD 280zx 2+2 (someone has an av from the commercial) it had a trippy dashboard gauges radio ac it was really cool but it was rusted in half

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

https://allenbolson.nextlot.com/auctions/1549762/lots/31602810

oooh, silver 80s japanese sports car.

The HVAC/Stereo stack is amazing.

My 85 Turbo had that head unit/HVAC controls but with *woodgrain* surround instead of that plastic aluminum

An 87-88 Turbo 2-seater 5 spd is the best (and rarest) Z31. The white Shiro edition with LSD specifically.

I haven't seen one in ages.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

https://www.govdeals.com/asset/9/16427

quote:

Prototype "low-floor" Streetcar built by Oregon Ironworks/United Streetcar

This streetcar 015 is a prototype built by Oregon Ironworks/United Streetcar, utilizing Rockwell Automation propulsion hardware and was delivered to the City in 2012. Rockwell had not developed a propulsion system for electric rail vehicle propulsion, thus categorizing it as a prototype.
The Rockwell propulsion system was developed using era available industrial drives that have been customized for this specific application. The operating system is Windows based and vehicle systems communication is ethernet based.
It requires a 750-850VDC Overhead Catenary System (OCS) delivered via the pantograph to operate. Auxiliaries may be powered independently though a special receptacle on the rooftop knife switch enclosure.
This is a bi-directional, double-articulated, “low-floor” streetcar (the center section is low, the two end sections are higher), with the majority of electrical equipment being located on the roof.
Under the streetcar are two trucks each powered by two Siemens 1TB1614 – 0GA03 traction motors.
There are six, roof-mounted Thermo-King RAC 5.5 HVAC units.
The door system is manufactured by BODE GmbH and includes a single door on either end and four center section double doors, two of which employ ADA bridgeplate ramps from CTS Servis allowing mobility device access on both sides of the streetcar.
The trucks are a double-axle/double-traction motor/double-gearbox design with a brake system provided by Knorr-Bremse.
The streetcar is not operational due to a drive failure and has been sitting for 4+ years, so other issues may be present. It is mostly complete, but other small components have been removed and will not be replaced.
Odometer reads 68199 miles.
SIZE & WEIGHT SPECIFICATION:
Streetcar length 66 ft. (20.13 m)
Streetcar width 8.1 ft. (2.46 m)
Streetcar height (from Top Of Rail) 11.3 ft. (3.44 m)
Streetcar weight (empty) 61,729 lbs. (28,000 kg)
Shipping- the buyer will be responsible for shipping the streetcar. We have identified a local hauler who has given us a base estimate of approximately $50k with no specifics on permits or distance. The streetcar must be removed from City property in whole and may not be disassembled at our facility.
Proper insurance must be in place and verified prior to removal of the streetcar from our
property. This will come from the contracted hauler and include the following minimums:   
Workers Compensation with Employer’s Liability coverage at limits of $1M per
employee/accident/aggregate.
Commercial General Liability with a per occurrence limit of $2M. (May want to consider higher).
Commercial Auto liability with a per accident limit of $2M. (May want to consider higher).
The Certificate of Insurance must name the “City of Portland” as the additional insured for the general liability and commercial auto coverages.
The streetcar must be moved off our property – the buyer cannot disassemble or perform any work on the equipment at our facility.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

How in the gently caress do they expect a buyer to remove 60k pounds of railcar in one piece?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Do not bid unless you are very strong.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1977-ford-pinto-wagon/1695403709

Look at all that room for activities.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I do love seeing good old Pintos for sale - they sell at the same price they were bought for*

*losing about 90% of their value via inflation

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darchangel posted:

How in the gently caress do they expect a buyer to remove 60k pounds of railcar in one piece?

From the ad:

quote:

Shipping- the buyer will be responsible for shipping the streetcar. We have identified a local hauler who has given us a base estimate of approximately $50k with no specifics on permits or distance. The streetcar must be removed from City property in whole and may not be disassembled at our facility.
They've already lined up a hauler.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Very carefully.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hell yeah. Buy it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darchangel posted:

BYOLocomotive

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sagebrush posted:

BYOLocomotive
You can even drive it on the road
https://gizmodo.com/that-time-a-canadian-town-derailed-a-diesel-train-and-d-1846307148

quote:

so a crane was used to lift the diesel engine off its tracks and place it on Boulevard de Montarville. From there the locomotive completed the last 1,000 feet of its journey rolling down the street under its own power while its extreme weight caused the train’s flanged wheels to cut deep tracks into the asphalt road which later had to be repaired.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Make your own train tracks! Take that big railroad.

Real chat, you can move that on one of the giant trailers made for moving poo poo that is to big to legally move you just put a cop car in front and behind to cop people out of the way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This should be interesting.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=21248

I wonder what parts availability is like on these things.

I didn't realize the headlights were attached to the hood.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

This should be interesting.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=21248

I wonder what parts availability is like on these things.

I didn't realize the headlights were attached to the hood.
Is that the Redline version? I noticed it says "Turbo" on the back bumper.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sure looks like a redline. The interior is laughably bad and the top mechanism is :psyduck: when compared to a Miata or something. They're pretty quick though and I always had a soft spot for the solstice gxp coupes that there weren't many of.

Do it powershift!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Sure looks like a redline. The interior is laughably bad and the top mechanism is :psyduck: when compared to a Miata or something. They're pretty quick though and I always had a soft spot for the solstice gxp coupes that there weren't many of.

Do it powershift!

I sat in a solstice at a car show once and was looking clear over the top of the windshield.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Count me in as having a sweet spot for a Solstice. I see more Sky's than I do them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Another fun thing is that a 2jz fits in, bolts up to the transmission and even the motor mounts line up. Supposedly, the internet says.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The trans is some Aisin unit that's sort of related to the N/A Supra 5 speed. Probably would have to swap the bell housing at a minimum.

Compared to its competition of the time, an NC Miata is at least fun + cute, the S2000 is more mature and pleasantly shaped, the MRS is well, uhhh it's a Toyota, and the Solstice/Sky are just so... dowdy with that massive beltline, no matter how many SCCA touring wins they got, that may or or may not have been because GM pushed money at SCCA to run the classes they did.

It's like the men up top wouldn't let the designers do anything near of how good the C5 Vette was because it would kill Corvette sales.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Suburban Dad posted:

Another fun thing is that a 2jz fits in, bolts up to the transmission and even the motor mounts line up. Supposedly, the internet says.

An LS7 fits too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

An LS7 fits too.

If I end up with my dad's Solstice, I have... ideas.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If I end up with my dad's Solstice, I have... ideas.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hdrp-0607-ls7-pontiac-solstice-road-test/

IIRC the magazine did a build series, but the details are lost to the mists in my brain, so I’m not sure how straightforward it is.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

MrYenko posted:

IIRC the magazine did a build series, but the details are lost to the mists in my brain, so I’m not sure how straightforward it is.

quote:

Tens is quick for any street/strip car, but a 10-second car that can also humiliate Eurotrash exotics in the twisties and do it for 100,000 miles is just flat amazing. To everyone who worked on the HOT ROD Solstice, we give you a standing ovation.

Why do they always have to do this and write like this.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

Mallett has a whole package - just add car. Based on the features list, makes me think that it's probably pretty straightforward. https://mallettcars.com/conversions/v8-solstice/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My car isn't fast. It's only 10s in the quarter mile.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MrYenko posted:

An LS7 fits too.

A guy in my local SCCA group runs a Sky with an LS3 and a 6-speed. It’s awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I sat in a solstice at a car show once and was looking clear over the top of the windshield.

Same. I'd kinda want one if I'd have fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

kiddo bought a really crummy solstice with a non intercooled turbo strapped to it and while fun it was a total parts bin GM nightmare. My wife bought a totally stock sky not long after because she liked the boy's solstice so much. 6 months later we bought a Volvo XC90 because we got pregnant again lol. The solstice and sky were both nightmares to drive because I am far too big for sports cars