Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The White Dragon posted:

It did come out five years ago, but it came out like five days ago for anyone who didn't have a PS3 or 360. I understand where he's coming from.

FF13 You will get very bored of running down hallways, only to find that the game is a hallway simulator. It opens up in the final 5 minutes of the game to a grind beyond your dreams. Last boss looks like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'm currently watching all the cutscenes for XIII in Jap with different English subs, and holy crap, it's like watching a completely different game. This makes me both retroactively hate and like XIII more than I did the first time around.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So is the Steam port of FFIV any good? I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but I'm curious how it stacks up against the PSN version. I think I remember people saying the Steam FFIII port is total poo poo, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So is the Steam port of FFIV any good? I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but I'm curious how it stacks up against the PSN version. I think I remember people saying the Steam FFIII port is total poo poo, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Haven't played it myself, but apparently it's an emulated android game, with quirks such as dropping to 15fps during fights.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I found it fun, never played it on 3ds? and didn't play it for over 20 years. Only thing I remember is that there is alot more story telling compared to the snes version. Also Dark Knight Cecil powers up like :goku:. If you don't have a controller for your PC, be ready to only use your keyboard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Srice posted:

I like the goofy character models in VII, doesn't work well for some of the more serious scenes but overall I don't mind them. They haven't aged gracefully but I find the janky models charming in a way.

The backgrounds aged really well though, they still look pretty cool even today.

I have modded my PC version so it uses the same battle screen models for the overworld, looks pretty freaking great. Just like FFVIII but its FFVII. No more popeye-arms.

Lots of people have come out with remodels that you can use, and some of them look okay, except then it makes it way too loving jarring when Cloud is at like Advent Children levels of detail, but everybody else is kinda mixed and the textures are all in a different color scheme and style, and it just ends up looking really ugly as hell.

I think using the original combat models, but also on the overworld, is pretty tasteful and looks great.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Here's a stick of dynamite, I like the idea of the lotr movies but they're one of the most reliable ways for me to fall asleep. Soooooo loooooooonng

Its not the length, its the pacing. The LOTR movies are probably the worst-edited mainstream hollywood films I've ever seen. The only reason it flew at all is because most people don't pay enough attention to movies to give a poo poo, because Jackson was stuck with Tolkein's story and there wasn't really any other way to fit it in three films without retconning the whole thing and pissing off every nerd ever, and because the spectacle and special effects drew everybody in regardless so it still sold well and didn't matter. But they're really pretty poo poo movies. (I say that as a person who likes them, there's not enough big-budget fantasy to go around)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Any tips about playing FF Tactics for the first time? I have a general gist of it but am not sure where to go with jobs at first

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Levitate posted:

Any tips about playing FF Tactics for the first time? I have a general gist of it but am not sure where to go with jobs at first

Prepare for a very very very slow game.

And get a Red Chocobo as fast as possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Levitate posted:

Do you want me to like spoil how to play FF Tactics best or just kinda point you in the right direction?

Because there's some things you can do that take a bit of leveling down the right path, but then give you pretty absurdly powerful characters.

blade grasp

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 13, 2014

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Levitate posted:

Ramza gets some unique skills as a Squire that a regular character can't get. Make sure you learn them at some point, especially the one that temporarily increases your speed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Use Chemists. You want to give everyone Auto-Potion, and everyone gets Chemist JP if a Chemist fights with them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Spent so much time over the weekend playing Curtain Call. I'd forgotten how charming 9's music was. 10 and 13 are decent if functional with just a couple stand-outs. 12 is like Tactics - generally too dry and boring especially for Curtain Call. 4-8 are of course the best and it's a shame they probably won't put the orchestral versions of 4-6's best pieces in the game. 11 is solid and 14 is surprisingly crappy with only King Moggle Mog's theme being any fun to play.

I would pay 10 dollars to play this. I don't care if the whole thing is BMS or FMS. Make it happen, SE.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I'm currently watching all the cutscenes for XIII in Jap with different English subs, and holy crap, it's like watching a completely different game. This makes me both retroactively hate and like XIII more than I did the first time around.

It really is kind of amusing to see people seeing FFXIII in Japanese since that was the way I played through it and so I was so confused at how people interpreted certain characters.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you want me to like spoil how to play FF Tactics best or just kinda point you in the right direction?

Because there's some things you can do that take a bit of leveling down the right path, but then give you pretty absurdly powerful characters.

blade grasp

Eh just pointing in the right direction. I guess I should just gently caress with jobs and learning abilities and do what seems interesting, but I can already tell I have to grind a bit

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Levitate posted:

Eh just pointing in the right direction. I guess I should just gently caress with jobs and learning abilities and do what seems interesting, but I can already tell I have to grind a bit

Just mess around with it and have fun. Most of the fun of Tactics is figuring out and breaking the system yourself. You'll figure out pretty quickly which jobs have completely trash action skills and most passives work as described so you can look at the lists of skills and things will work as you anticipate when grinding out jobs for passives.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 13, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Levitate posted:

Always keep two save files. Always.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Levitate posted:

Yeah. The beginning is a little bit of a grind, you have a massive difficulty wall coming up at Dorter Trade City. Start with getting Gained JP Up on your Squires and Auto Potion on your Chemists, then trade roles and do it again. That'll set you up for a chapter and a half easy.

Also ^^^^^^ multiple saves will cover your rear end. Later on they'll give you consecutive battles you can't get out of to level. Having a backup save can be a lifesaver.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 13, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Right, I already got my rear end handed to me at Dorter City. Just wasn't sure at first how long I should be running with squires but the answer seems to be "for the love of god change jobs as soon as possible after you learn some abilities"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Levitate posted:

You can deploy more characters than Ramza during the first real mission.

Hahahaha... :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should be keeping characters as squires for as long as it takes them to get JP Up. Stone Throw and Accumulate are also good skills to have early on, but generally you don't want to bring squires into a story battle. The best way to deal with Dorter is with a black mage. It's raining during the battle, so lightning spells get a decent bonus.

By the way, weather affecting elemental damage is a thing in FFT.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

I've been thinking a bit on the pseudo-announcement of the FFXV beta. I'm wondering, was it announced because they actually think they're at a point where they can produce a beta, or did S-E higher up put their foot down and tell the team "you need to produce results by this [insert date]" so they might be trying to rush to the beta build?

That's what happened with FFXIII, where they only started designing the gameplay once they had to make a demo for Advent Children Complete. There was only 8 months between the release of the demo and the full game in Japan, since ACC came out on April 16 2009 and XIII on December 17 2009.

However, the most recent trailer was almost entirely footage from XV's demo, so either they're really confident in it, or it's just the most polished part of the game right now. It's still not certain whether it will come out on the same day as Type-0 HD though, since it's just a download code, and it could be released later like the demo for The Last of Us included in GoW Ascension.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

You should be keeping characters as squires for as long as it takes them to get JP Up. Stone Throw and Accumulate are also good skills to have early on, but generally you don't want to bring squires into a story battle. The best way to deal with Dorter is with a black mage. It's raining during the battle, so lightning spells get a decent bonus.

By the way, weather affecting elemental damage is a thing in FFT.

A Black Mage or two with a Knight is pretty good. Really though Auto Potion breaks the early challenge enough that you can play with any and all classes.

I've never tried this, but Algus and Delita both tend to rush up that tower. They might be better off as Archers for that fight. I usually just strip Algus of his gear and personally slaughter him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It's based off the DS version, which is a completely different beast from the GBA/PSP versions that are improvements on the original game. It adds a big chunk of difficulty and adds the Augment system, which will let your party members learn and use new abilities, many of them from your old comrades. It pretty much requires a FAQ to get them all, and some require giving other augments to people who will leave the party (which may be annoying if you never played and want to remain unspoiled on the story), but otherwise it's a new take on the old FF4 system that's unique and interesting enough to warrant a playthrough for veterans of the original game, though I can't really say anything about the actual PC port in terms of how it runs and all that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Levitate posted:

At the very least, teach everyone Potion and Phoenix Down. Put Item secondary on most of your characters to begin with. Having characters able to heal themselves and revive each other makes a huge difference when you're learning the game.

Make some characters with high Faith into mages, and maybe a character with high Brave into a Monk. Get Gained JP Up on pretty much everybody. Then just start experimenting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

A Black Mage or two with a Knight is pretty good. Really though Auto Potion breaks the early challenge enough that you can play with any and all classes.

Except Archer. Don't play with Archer. I'm only saying this for your own good :v:

Actually, I think you have to use Archer a little bit, don't you? You need it to be something like Lv 3 or 4 to unlock Lancer? Ninja, maybe?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Xavier434 posted:

I quoting this post because it reflects my feelings exactly. This is my 2nd playthrough though and the first time I played on Easy. I have no idea how people were surviving by just selecting auto battle constantly and you can completely forget about regularly getting 5 stars.

I have not done any graphics mods yet though. I don't like the idea of seeing graphical glitches which I have heard exist if I use Gedasato, but how bad are they really?

It's fairly easy to do now with latest updated version and 16x9 monitor. There are some decent directions in the neogaf thread and a reddit post. I will link it when I get home. It's definitely worth it.

ImpAtom posted:

It really is kind of amusing to see people seeing FFXIII in Japanese since that was the way I played through it and so I was so confused at how people interpreted certain characters.

Well, that's the problem with Square. This was their most important game last gen and they screwed up bot voice direction and subs. Snow, Vanilla and Lightning are quite a bit better in native speakers.

Hope is terrible in any language but he is less terrible in Japanese as they seem to have deliberately made him even more whiney in English. Lightning was also more bitchy/tsundere in English. I have no idea why they went that route.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think Hope is more "Whiny," I think he's just poo poo at emoting and that kills a lot of what is supposed to be the good parts of Hope or something, and just further encourages killing him.

I read back on early comparisons and said they thought the english did as good but it was all based on accents. Just because Fang sounded "unremarkable" in the japanese doesn't make her better in the English that, while she has a decent accent, has the same problems of just not reacting to her surroundings at times which is a problem with most localized dubs.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Dragonatrix posted:

nah the real end-post-game for 13 is grinding turtles. forever.

d-do you mean you actually finally finishing it or the actual ending itself

because "surprise! deus ex machina saves the day! you wasted your entire time!" is a v bad ending

I might beat it again just to have another look. Nothing was jarring and it left me in good mood.

Edit: The final dungeon was tedious and didn't impress me in anyway outside of the music. I am sure most final dungeon's are like this for me in RPGs. I know it is the end, I am there to beat the game and don't care what treasures there are or what the mobs drop. Coincidentally, the mobs in the final dungeon were the most annoying of any regular mobs in the game. I was mad that my OCD prevented me from skipping treasure chests knowing another gang of fishmen would be waiting to "rush" stun me.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 13, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Except Archer. Don't play with Archer. I'm only saying this for your own good :v:

Actually, I think you have to use Archer a little bit, don't you? You need it to be something like Lv 3 or 4 to unlock Lancer? Ninja, maybe?

Some, but it isn't a priority. You can easily have an Equip (weapon) skill or two before you're worried about Ninja.

Dual Wield is handy as gently caress but dooooooon't grind for it in chapter 1 like I did.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I might beat it again just to have another look. Nothing was jarring and it left me in good mood.

Edit: The final dungeon was tedious and didn't impress me in anyway outside of the music. I am sure most final dungeon's are like this for me in RPGs. I know it is the end, I am there to beat the game and don't care what treasures there are or what the mobs drop. Coincidentally, the mobs in the final dungeon were the most annoying of any regular mobs in the game. I was mad that my OCD prevented me from skipping treasure chests knowing another gang of fishmen would be waiting to "rush" stun me.

Xenogears may have had the worst last dungeon of any JRPG I've played. Winding endless mazes with nothing remarkable. Dark grey textures. God, it was terrible.

On the flip side, every FF from 4 to 8 had great last dungeons. 9 and 10 weren't terrible either. I slag 8 a lot but I loved the last area. The last dungeon is 7 is absolutely iconic and had decent music to boot. I do, however, generally like the idea of having a genuinely tough last dungeon topped by an actually difficult last boss, especially on your first playthrough when maybe you didn't totally destroy the game's mechanics.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 13, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levitate posted:

Normal-ish suggestions:
Get Gained JP Up for everyone and throw stone, maybe accumulate. Have one character become a White Mage, another a black mage. Move Ramza and someone else through knight to monk and get Chakra first. If you stand in a + formation with your 5 units and the monk in the middle you can have them chakra non-stop to give your mages enless MP for spell spam and HP for everyone to throw stone each other after you've taken down all but 1 enemy if you want to do some grinding.

Ramza as a monk, with a pair of white/black mages (who then level oracle/time mage for a few handy spells) will last you for awhile. A second monk is good too, and you could do your 5th character as whatever but having (throw) item on them doesn't hurt.

How to break FFT over your knee (with generic characters):
Get mediator on at least one character. Several will help make things go faster. You want the talk skills that raise/lower faith and brave. Take everyone to 90+ brave, then...

For melee:
..lower their faith as much as you can. Single digit faith makes them near-immune to magic.

Class: Ninja or Monk. If you go Ninja give them the monk martial arts skill. If a Monk give them the Ninja's Two Swords skill. You want an unarmed double-fisting melee machine. With the 95 or so brave your unarmed damage will be brutal and you'll be hitting twice. Magic will be useless against you. You can either use blade grasp and +move for your counter/move skill, or use MP Switch and Move-MP UP. The latter means that when you take damage it comes from MP instead so as long as you have MP your HP never goes down. Blade grasp will make you untouchable by a lot of physical attacks though. Load up on +physical gear to max out your damage potential if you'd like. Alternately: Farm Chantage accessories for female characters and use whatever counter/move skill you want because the Chantage makes female units immortal.

For magic:
..get their faith up in to the 90s. Not too high though otherwise generics will leave you.

Final class can vary. You'll want to get Holy, Flare, and maybe a couple other spells but those two are really all you need. Get a piece of gear that boosts holy damage too. You need to unlock Calculator though, and the big things you'll want is to be able to target by CT and divisible by 4. After that your goal is to switch to whatever class gives you 6 speed. With 6 speed you will hit every single unit on the field with a CT/4 math skill attack on your first turn. This is where your melee character with single-digit faith comes in to play, as they will take >100 damage from the battle-wide math massacre. You need to have 1 unit alive when a fight ends in order to win. Downside to this method is you can't safely use it when you have to save someone because you'll likely kill them which fails the fight(if they absorb an element you can use that element's spell instead though). For 95% of fights this is a first round single-move victory setup. For bosses you'll need to rely on the other math options or let your melee units rip them apart.

A black mage with the samurai Draw Out skill can also be powerful because a lot of those skills are magic for some dumb reason.

Even if you don't break the game, you'll want a Mediator so you can recruit monsters. Recruiting a chocobo to get red chocobos early on gives you a pet that can do a ton of damage, and if you get a bull demon that might breed you a Sacred(purple bull demon) which is both really powerful and can be poached for a holy lance or some other item. Recruit a treant if you see one because the really rare treant can be poached for a Defender sword. The sword's a rare though so you'll want to wait until the poach shop opens up before you save scum for the sword. It's a good knight sword though and would last a character the entire game.

Keep a minimum of two saves. If you're on mobile or an emulator use all of them really because you do not want to get a save (or two) that're stuck in an impossible situation.

I'm going to second that you should only use Archers for as long as required to unlock a better class you want to use. Like Thief (you want someone who can steal all item slots eventually) and Lancer.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

bloodychill posted:

Xenogears may have had the worst last dungeon of any JRPG I've played. Winding endless mazes with nothing remarkable. Dark grey textures. God, it was terrible.

On the flip side, every FF from 4 to 8 had great last dungeons. 9 and 10 weren't terrible either. I slag 8 a lot but I loved the last area. The last dungeon is 7 is absolutely iconic and had decent music to boot. I do, however, generally like the idea of having a genuinely tough last dungeon topped by an actually difficult last boss, especially on your first playthrough when maybe you didn't totally destroy the game's mechanics.

I don't remember FFV's so I need to replay that again.

Yes I mean in recent memory. I remember Final Fantasy IV. That was very impressive, I felt like I was exploring and excavating these incredible weapons and gear.

VI Just set an incredible tone. Nostalgia is clouding my judgement but that dungeon wasn't tedious but challenging in some ways due to splitting the parties. The music was great. Bosses were great although the final one looked incredible, kinda easy.

I don't recall VII's but remember the last boss fight as being incredibly epic.

VIII was probably the best. You had puzzles, you had umpteen bosses, you had incredible artwork.

I don't remember IX's last dungeon very much. I know it wasn't terrible nor great. I thought I remember X's last dungeon being kind of uneventful. Plus, unless you sprinted through the game, the boss was incredibly easy. I remember that fight and I didn't even do much of the side questing. That dungeon was underwhelming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

nah the real end-post-game for 13 is grinding turtles. forever.

This is untrue actually. People grinded turtles to fill out an achievement. It is literally never required to finish the rest of the content. Seriously, don't grind turtles, it's just for a dumb cheevo.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 13, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I don't remember IX's last dungeon very much. I know it wasn't terrible nor great. I thought I remember X's last dungeon being kind of uneventful. Plus, unless you sprinted through the game, the boss was incredibly easy. I remember that fight and I didn't even do much of the side questing. That dungeon was underwhelming.

I love IX forever and ever, but its final dungeon is just... eh. It looks really cool and has great music, but it's pretty short and uneventful aside from the FF1-callback Fiend bosses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This is untrue actually. People grinded turtles to fill out an achievement. It is literally never required to finish the rest of the content. Seriously, don't grind turtles, it's just for a dumb cheevo.

Sorry, it's turtles all the way down.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

I love IX forever and ever, but its final dungeon is just... eh. It looks really cool and has great music, but it's pretty short and uneventful aside from the FF1-callback Fiend bosses.

I enjoy the plot bits that happen in it, and it is awesome, thematically, but it definitely is kind of a straight path with some fighting. It's hard to top VIII's final dungeon. That was one of the few things I think people generally agree they got right.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best final dungeon is the one so great that they literally remade it in FF14.

If you ignore the whole "no save points" thing (which is a huge minus, of course), Crystal/Sylx/Syrcus Tower from FF3 is a pretty awesome three-part dungeon with fantastic music all around. Forbidden Land Eureka is a fun romp for some awesome weapons, ultimate magic, and of course the two jobs that blow every other job out of the water. The tower itself is a huge walk up this massive tower full of dangerous foes and treasure, right to the final (albeit anticlimatic) battle against Xande himself, though it's pretty awesome story-wise due to all your former companions showing up to save your rear end, and from the Cloud of Darkness showing up to kick your rear end. After that is the Dark World, a place of no escape, where you have to fight four tough-as-nails bosses before being able to attack the Cloud of Darkness in a free-for-all slugfest where you simply have to keep wailing and healing as she constantly bombards you with Flare Wave every single loving god drat round. It's probably the only final battle where you can see the final boss actually going all out with their most powerful attack over and over rather than waste time doing less useful moves.

The other games definitely have some impressive final dungeons, but FF3's is still impressive just for sheer size and scope, and of course the loving awesome music.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't you have to grind turtles to get a necessary item for making ultimate weapons?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Paracelsus posted:

Didn't you have to grind turtles to get a necessary item for making ultimate weapons?

You don't need ultimate weapons or grinding to beat all of the hunts. Anyone who says you do simply didn't know how to use paradigms appropiately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

The other games definitely have some impressive final dungeons, but FF3's is still impressive just for sheer size and scope, and of course the loving awesome music.
So awesome that they've adapted the whole thing in FF14 to explain one of the ancient races present in the world. We should have a Cloud of Darkness fight either in December or early January.