Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

All right, I think melee Wizard is what I'm going to go with, then.

One other question: how important is it to have a Priest around, assuming I'm playing on Hard? I remember finding Durance pretty useful, but are there other classes that can provide that kind of support? Right now I'm thinking I'd like to roll with my melee Wizard Watcher, Eder, Kana as an off-tank, Sagani, and Hiravais because Druids own. But I'm not sure if I should stick Durance in that last shot or if Grieving Mother or even Pallegina would be a good addition instead.

Hm, one other idea: how are Paladins? I like the idea of having as good of conversational stats as possible (Int/Per/Res) and it seems like Paladin builds benefit the most from that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Hm, one other idea: how are Paladins? I like the idea of having as good of conversational stats as possible (Int/Per/Res) and it seems like Paladin builds benefit the most from that kind of thing.

I am almost done with a run with a paladin PC and they get a little dull at higher levels. Mine was the main healer/buffer for most of the game but now that I am at the cap and healing it isn't as important I can't find a really fun way to respec the guy.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seashell Salesman posted:

What gear do you use? Heaviest armor and hatchet/shield?

If you wanna use a build like this I'd probably go for the following end-game equips:

Garodh's Chorus (Preservation Version)/Maegfolk Skull
Ryona's Breastplate
Boots of Speed/Whatever
Ring of Deflection
Cloak of Comfort
Gauntlets of Accuracy
Ring of Protection/Iron Circle
Looped Rope Belt
Little Saviour
Any hatchet (Maybe the WM2 one that fatigues on hit – Captain Viccolo's Anger)

Mountain Dwarf probably works well as a race - thought I'm not really a fan of dwarves.

Stat wise I'd go for Lowest Dex + Highest Might possible, 17/18 Per + Int and then the remaining points in Con/Res balanced to your taste. I feel like in the early game it's probably better to tone down your offensive stats a little bit and invest more in Resolve (like 13-14) but once you hit level 9 go with stats listed previously. Whether to go for High Con/Dump Res or something more balanced is up to you. With max Con and dumped Res you'll get like an extra 80 endurance at level 16 and super high fort saves – which are great because the worst effects in the game come from Fort (anything attacking you vs will can be countered easily with the prayer spells). A more balanced approach means you'll still be able to get some nice Res dialogue options, a bit higher deflection and won't get interrupted as much (but who cares? Your damage comes from chants).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Harrow posted:

Fighters and Pallies are my go to choices for talky MC builds, just because of how increases to defenses get better the more you already have of it, so rocking a shield and maximum Res tends to trivialize a lot of content. Pallies have better overall defenses, Fighters have better deflection. Pallies get to use the 2nd best shield in the game from the get go though, which tilts me their way pretty hard.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Entropy238 posted:

If you wanna use a build like this I'd probably go for the following end-game equips:

Garodh's Chorus (Preservation Version)/Maegfolk Skull
Ryona's Breastplate
Boots of Speed/Whatever
Ring of Deflection
Cloak of Comfort
Gauntlets of Accuracy
Ring of Protection/Iron Circle
Looped Rope Belt
Little Saviour
Any hatchet (Maybe the WM2 one that fatigues on hit – Captain Viccolo's Anger)

Mountain Dwarf probably works well as a race - thought I'm not really a fan of dwarves.

Stat wise I'd go for Lowest Dex + Highest Might possible, 17/18 Per + Int and then the remaining points in Con/Res balanced to your taste. I feel like in the early game it's probably better to tone down your offensive stats a little bit and invest more in Resolve (like 13-14) but once you hit level 9 go with stats listed previously. Whether to go for High Con/Dump Res or something more balanced is up to you. With max Con and dumped Res you'll get like an extra 80 endurance at level 16 and super high fort saves – which are great because the worst effects in the game come from Fort (anything attacking you vs will can be countered easily with the prayer spells). A more balanced approach means you'll still be able to get some nice Res dialogue options, a bit higher deflection and won't get interrupted as much (but who cares? Your damage comes from chants).

I'm doing a run where I'm using only story NPCs and my MC is already a wizard, thanks for the gear suggestion though :)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Once im done with wasteland 2 im probably going to copy this build:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89991-class-build-the-golden-dragon-barbarian-tank/
Seems to get all the talk stats high enough and have max might too.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
So I've had this game sitting in my Steam library for months, and after wrapping up Shadowrun Returns yesterday, I feel like I'm in the mood to start PoE.

I have a question for the people that have played the DLC. How important would you say it is to play with it from the start? I've heard some say the end game becomes too easy if you go through the DLC questline, or that it should be considered for a second playthrough only. I don't tend to replay games, and I'm worried about turning the game into a cakewalk by doing extra content.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
We discussed this two pages ago, from here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=890#post466639307

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Played around a bit last night and now I'm between Paladin (Darcozzi Paladini for roleplay reasons--why wouldn't I want to be a guy who draws paladin powers from being a hotheaded smartass?), melee Cipher, and Monk, of all things.

Any advice on which of those you all find most fun/fitting for the Watcher character? I definitely want to be on the front lines and I'm leaning Paladin or Monk just because I don't super love the Cipher's mechanics, it turns out, but maybe I'd enjoy melee more than ranged Cipher.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 23, 2016

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harrow posted:

Played around a bit last night and now I'm between Paladin (Darcozzi Paladini for roleplay reasons--why wouldn't I want to be a guy who draws paladin powers from being a hotheaded smartass?), melee Cipher, and Monk, of all things.

Any advice on which of those you all find most fun/fitting for the Watcher character? I definitely want to be on the front lines and I'm leaning Paladin or Monk just because I don't super love the Cipher's mechanics, it turns out, but maybe I'd enjoy melee more than ranged Cipher.

Melee cipher with Bittercut (white march sabre) is pretty amazing plus you have a better connection to souls and get some neat conversation options.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sophism posted:

So I've had this game sitting in my Steam library for months, and after wrapping up Shadowrun Returns yesterday, I feel like I'm in the mood to start PoE.

I have a question for the people that have played the DLC. How important would you say it is to play with it from the start? I've heard some say the end game becomes too easy if you go through the DLC questline, or that it should be considered for a second playthrough only. I don't tend to replay games, and I'm worried about turning the game into a cakewalk by doing extra content.

If you want to maintain the challenge level throughout the best order is probably:

Act 1--> Act 2/Endless Paths through level 8 or 9---> WM1 (level scaled)--->Finish Endless Paths-->WM2--->Act3/Cragholdt(level scaled)

Some people recommend going to WM1 at level 7 and you can do that and WM1 will be a good challenge and it's fun to get the items that early. The only problem with doing that approach is if you do that then when you come back to finish Act2 you will literally steamroller everything in it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Melee cipher with Bittercut (white march sabre) is pretty amazing plus you have a better connection to souls and get some neat conversation options.

Listen to this man. Melee ciphers are the best. Tanky Paladins are second-best. No arguments, it's just an opinion.

Paladins are the best tanks in the game BTW, especially as the PC because they get defense bonuses from Faith & Conviction (but totally viable not as a PC don't get me wrong).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I really liked the extra soul related dialogue as a cipher. It felt proper because it's all similar to Watcher vision.

Also, dual wield cipher was like having a rogue for damage that you dont have to babysit. Its awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All right, I'll give dual-wield Cipher a try. That does sound pretty fun.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Harrow posted:

All right, I'll give dual-wield Cipher a try. That does sound pretty fun.

Make sure you use Sabres.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sabres got nerfed pretty hard in the last patch (well, second to last, technically). They're still good, but no longer the sole dominant choice for dual-wielders.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Some people recommend going to WM1 at level 7 and you can do that and WM1 will be a good challenge and it's fun to get the items that early. The only problem with doing that approach is if you do that then when you come back to finish Act2 you will literally steamroller everything in it.

Most of Act II will be steamrollered anyways. Aside from the Lighthouse and maybe some of the bounties or Cail the Silent, everything you find in Act II is basically a pushover. It's rewarding enough that you hit 7ish pretty quickly and at that point you outgun basically everything in Act II because the game doesn't have dynamic level scaling and everything in Act II is balanced so that you can complete it at any time. Most of Act II wasn't even particularly challenging to solo.

On top of that, upscaled WM1 gets sloggy. Fights are harder because numbers are higher but they're not that much more interesting on a tactical level. I'd rather hit up WM1 early and then steamroller Act II than steamroller Act II and then slog through upscaled WM1.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sabres got nerfed pretty hard in the last patch (well, second to last, technically). They're still good, but no longer the sole dominant choice for dual-wielders.
Sabres are in the Ruffian weapon group, which also gives you the blunderbuss. Isn't that still a solid weapon choice for melee ciphers to start a fight with and generate lots of focus?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, if anything the biggest challenges in Act II are clearing Endless Paths and WM1 (which was definitely a huge slog to do upscaled when I did it during my hospitalization). Maybe the fight on the bridge and the big spirit fights in the Lighthouse if you do them early enough. Act II on its own gets really incredibly easy once you hit about level 7-8.

My main regret with WM2 was iirc doing it so late that the new enchantments unlocked were essentially pointless (well that and upscaling because lol I only pulled off the sky dragon by the skin of the teeth).

Raygereio posted:

Sabres are in the Ruffian weapon group, which also gives you the blunderbuss. Isn't that still a solid weapon choice for melee ciphers to start a fight with and generate lots of focus?

Guns and Crossbows in general are good openers, the old Blunderbuss cheese was based on abusing the fact that Focus was gained per hit (and the game counting every blunderbuss hit as an individual hit) instead of by damage. The Blunderbuss from Dyrford Crossing is still utter cheese as a cipher opener but most blunderbuses are going to get screwed due to low penetration; Pistols are good though.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 23, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Story-wise, does it make more or less sense for the Watcher to be a Cipher? On the one hand, obviously you get more soul-related dialog as a Cipher, and that's cool. But there's a strange sort of overlap between the two that actually feels kind of weird to me. I've played through this before but I can't remember: does anyone ever go into the hard-and-fast difference between the two? Both of them can read souls, both of them can read the past (in different contexts), both of them can manipulate the souls of others, but they just do so in different ways, right?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Harrow posted:

Story-wise, does it make more or less sense for the Watcher to be a Cipher? On the one hand, obviously you get more soul-related dialog as a Cipher, and that's cool. But there's a strange sort of overlap between the two that actually feels kind of weird to me. I've played through this before but I can't remember: does anyone ever go into the hard-and-fast difference between the two? Both of them can read souls, both of them can read the past (in different contexts), both of them can manipulate the souls of others, but they just do so in different ways, right?

Yep, there's a few NPCs that will even go into the differences between the ways a Watcher and a Cipher influence souls. I don't think Cipher necessarily lends itself better to being a PC, I just like them a whole lot because I dislike Vancian casting, I like using weapons and I played one as a PC during the good ol' days of Fast Mental Binding so I literally cannot play this game as anything other than a Cipher PC. It's a mental condition.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I find both the cone and beam spells straightforward to line up but I can't for the life of me get a handle on Rolling Flame. It seems to frequently just not hit enemies shown as in the path by the indicator, it bounces at random directions, and it takes a long time to cast. Is there some trick to it that I'm missing?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

I find both the cone and beam spells straightforward to line up but I can't for the life of me get a handle on Rolling Flame. It seems to frequently just not hit enemies shown as in the path by the indicator, it bounces at random directions, and it takes a long time to cast. Is there some trick to it that I'm missing?
Theoretically while in a narrow corridor and with some good positioning & aiming, you can bounce it between walls a couple of times and hit a group of enemies multiple times. Or when your melee guys have a defensive line going, you could cast it at the wall and have it rolling over the enemies while avoiding your party. In practice though I've yet to see a situation where that can actually work. So yeah, it's somewhat useless.
You can cast it outside of combat, so maybe you could use it to start fights from a distance and get some buffs going before enemies reach you? I've never tried that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rolling Flame works best in open spaces, definitely.

Bouncing effects in general were very frustrating in PoE and they've been improved enormously for the future.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

rope kid posted:

Bouncing effects in general were very frustrating in PoE and they've been improved enormously for the future.

Is there going to be a bounce(s) indicator in the future? :allears:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
The crazy bouncing of rolling flame is great. Sometimes you've gotta just run the whole party outta there. It's certainly difficult to predict but I at least like the idea of a risk/reward dynamic with more spells like that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Please add a pool minigame in PoE2.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
I smell a PoE/Rocket League cross marketing opportunity.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

rope kid posted:

I dunno man. There's nothing that says "Baldur's Gate" quite like stumbling over a lightning bolt trap an enclosed space and watching it ricochet off of every flat surface in sight and reduce your party to a fine paste.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

I dunno man. There's nothing that says "Baldur's Gate" quite like stumbling over a lightning bolt trap an enclosed space and watching it ricochet off of every flat surface in sight and reduce your party to a fine paste.

Or aiming a Lightning Bolt at a round room filled with mind flayers, timing the opening and closing of the door perfectly to do the same to the most frustrating enemies in the game. Few things feel better.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Mind flayers have 90-95% magic resistance in Baldur's Gate, sooo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I gotta stop using Antipathetic Field. Last time I did the target decided it'd be a great time to suddenly run through all the rest of the enemies to melee Aloth, which dragged the beam through everyone and did ridiculous damage. It's such a good spell but god drat, even when I'm in melee it's such a huge risk to use it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You eventually get a better one that will solve that problem.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Harrow posted:

Ciphers are more mind than soul, they can do stuff like suppress memories but only a Watcher can erase them entirely (the cipher party member hides from people's sight and makes them forget her but when she needs her memory erased it's you she talks to) and while ciphers can see memories in objects connected to people and read your thoughts somewhat a Watcher can reach into someone's soul and see all their life and past lives. They are pretty similar in the setting, the cipher party member even says that people thought she was a Watcher because she lived in a remote area that hadn't heard of ciphers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Ciphers are more mind than soul, they can do stuff like suppress memories but only a Watcher can erase them entirely (the cipher party member hides from people's sight and makes them forget her but when she needs her memory erased it's you she talks to) and while ciphers can see memories in objects connected to people and read your thoughts somewhat a Watcher can reach into someone's soul and see all their life and past lives. They are pretty similar in the setting, the cipher party member even says that people thought she was a Watcher because she lived in a remote area that hadn't heard of ciphers.

Seems like Watchers are always awakened souls as well. But not every person with an awakened soul becomes a Watcher (Aloth for example isn't one) so it seems like only individuals with strong souls become Watchers. And it seems like souls become strong by being afflicted by traumatic events. The main character has the whole Thaos issue, and Maerwald is afflicted by two strongly conflicting personalities. So it seems like you can become awakened if you're reminded of one of your past lives by something, but you're only going to be a Watcher if that memory is especially powerful.

Unless there's something else going on there. That's my theory though. I can't recall if it's ever fully explained how Watchers happen.

It also seems like Thaos has the abilities of a Watcher as well, though whether he was originally a Watcher or just has those abilities because of Woedica is up for debate I guess.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
From my fairly hazy understanding it's like sorcerers vs wizards. Ciphers train and learn to harness and enhance the minor innate powers everyone has. Watchers naturally come about extraordinary soul powers. That increased power has a risk/blowback that seems to cause Watchers to awaken easier/stronger. Maerwald seems to have been a watcher before he awakened, as he was seemingly sitting by the hearth at the stronghold when he first awakened.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nasgate posted:

From my fairly hazy understanding it's like sorcerers vs wizards. Ciphers train and learn to harness and enhance the minor innate powers everyone has. Watchers naturally come about extraordinary soul powers. That increased power has a risk/blowback that seems to cause Watchers to awaken easier/stronger. Maerwald seems to have been a watcher before he awakened, as he was seemingly sitting by the hearth at the stronghold when he first awakened.

I thought animancy was the scientific study of souls whereas ciphers have innate talent for manipulating them (and watchers have the acquired ability to manipulate them)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Enjoy posted:

I thought animancy was the scientific study of souls whereas ciphers have innate talent for manipulating them (and watchers have the acquired ability to manipulate them)

Ciphers are more of a subset of animancy.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64452-update-65-ciphers/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Oh cool, I hadn't seen this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Harrow posted:

I gotta stop using Antipathetic Field. Last time I did the target decided it'd be a great time to suddenly run through all the rest of the enemies to melee Aloth, which dragged the beam through everyone and did ridiculous damage. It's such a good spell but god drat, even when I'm in melee it's such a huge risk to use it.

You're going to love Ectopsychic Echo.

• Locked thread