Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So is Tron expected to move off VQ before then, or run both? That would force guests to pick which to get at 7am I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

I've only done it once because it's Fallon, but yeah mechanically the ride seems to be very good.

Just the content of course is a piece of poo poo abusive jerk and his misogynist and racist caricatures.

Yeah, I'm honestly shocked they haven't at least changed out the "Sara" (no H!) parts. I can't think of anything racist though, in the ride at least.

Fallon, as a ride, will probably stick around a while as it can easily be rethemed to something else.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The ancient videos that tell you WE'RE GRINDING LEAVES DOWN TO USE AS FERTILIZER! Give us new info. And also just let me ride it for like three solid hours and take a good, quiet nap.

They actually re-did the video pretty recently. There just isn't a lot of new info, for the pavilion anyway. The techniques they're using are now tried and true and not experimental.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They actually re-did the video pretty recently. There just isn't a lot of new info, for the pavilion anyway. The techniques they're using are now tried and true and not experimental.

well it's a start, at least.

I don't want them to change the ending light wall at all. Those billion year old pictures are cherished in my cold, dark heart.

Aphrodite posted:

So is Tron expected to move off VQ before then, or run both? That would force guests to pick which to get at 7am I guess.

I'm not sure I fully get what you're saying: are you thinking Tiana's is going to go VQ? Because I was under the impression it wasn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hmm. I thought that was confirmed, but it seems it's all still just been speculation.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think it would be silly for Tiana's to be VQ, Splash already had an extensive queue that handled itself fine. Yeah, there will be a spike in popularity initially but I assume it will wane off in a few weeks

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Presumably Snow White will move off ILL and they'll put Tiana on, though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anticipate Tiana using Virtual Line.

It's not really about queue space, it's that they don't want 3+ hour lines. It does make sense for the first few months of operation. My problem is that they keep it in use way too long. Guardians absolutely does not need it anymore, it's reliable and high capacity and its been two years. But I still can't just stroll in in the evening and get in line for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When Guardians removes it I will just spend half a day getting back on.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My strategy for riding all the major draw "new" rides that are not virtual line only is to just get in line right before park close. This has always resulted in a short and manageable wait regardless of what is posted. 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Flight of Passage, Rise, Frozen, etc. Not being able to do this two years into operation for Guardians is very frustrating.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Aphrodite posted:

When Guardians removes it I will just spend half a day getting back on.

Ride until I vomit or I hear the full soundtrack

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My strategy for riding all the major draw "new" rides that are not virtual line only is to just get in line right before park close. This has always resulted in a short and manageable wait regardless of what is posted. 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Flight of Passage, Rise, Frozen, etc. Not being able to do this two years into operation for Guardians is very frustrating.

since you do this, maybe you can clear this up for me:

Park closes at 8 pm. It is 7:45. I go to Flight of Passage. No cast members visible at front of line (or anywhere). No chain up. Go in or go away?

Because this is what I keep running into when I try to use this hack.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Head in. If you're not supposed to be there then you'll find someone to tell you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've never heard of them not having at least one cast member at the entrance, but the standard procedure for Disney and Universal is that unless the ride is down, you can enter the line for any ride up to the minute before the park closes and you will get to ride, unless the ride does go down while you're in line.

A good indicator - if the wait time sign lists a wait time, the ride is open. If not, it will be blank or say closed or something.

e: also, while some employees may complain about this, never feel bad about getting in line right before close. I promise you it is one of the smartest things you can do as a guest, unless you want to see the closing fireworks show. The cast members are already scheduled to compensate for people queuing up to the last minute. At most, you getting in line last minute adds a few minutes tops to when they can power down the ride and does not delay them from leaving work sooner.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 13, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/ghostsofgideons/status/1789417941802352731?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Paying the people who work at Gideons 8.95 an hour should be criminal even without all the safety violations and awful vibes, I hope these employees get what they’re asking for

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DC Murderverse posted:

Paying the people who work at Gideons 8.95 an hour should be criminal even without all the safety violations
That’s Florida~~

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/ghostsofgideons/status/1789417941802352731?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Paying the people who work at Gideons 8.95 an hour should be criminal even without all the safety violations and awful vibes, I hope these employees get what they’re asking for

this is blowing up, hope they see some real backlash for this bullshit

their cookies are $6 btw, so their employees time is worth 1.5 cookies an hour to them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There seems to be a wild swing of grievances there which Twitter is having a great time mocking them over, but having worked in lovely places I know that something trivial is often the last straw that makes you take action. It's also pretty funny to see Twitter not getting which demands are put in there to be walked back from just so management can convince themselves that they won.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
definitely hate it when one's employer is out there building a toxic empire of lies

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yeah a lot of people were making fun of the iced coffee thing because it seems relatively minor but it’s a great example of their larger point which is that management does poo poo that they think seems “cool” or “flashy” without an understanding of how it’s actually gonna work because they have no concept of what their employees do on a granular level (because they are bad managers)

I hate to be that guy but I never thought it was worth the wait in line so I’ve never actually had them, especially when Amorette’s is also in the Springs and has bougie pastries for pretentious hipsters like myself and is built not on a toxic web of lies, but a strong cake base covered in fondant

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I intended to at least look in the door when I was there last, but just sort of completely forgot to. The decor seems like it's very me, but I also don't care about cookies all that much :shrug:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I thought Gideons was one of the most overrated things I've ever had

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The secret at Disney is to make your terrible snacks shaped like Mickey.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The peanut butter cold brew is great. The cookies are meh.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Braksgirl posted:

The peanut butter cold brew is great. The cookies are meh.

But is the cold brew better when it’s shaken like a bartender exactly 10 times

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
That iced coffee was life changing for me but I haven’t been there in ages since DS is the last place on my mind when I’m down there.

Hate that they are paid so low for busting their butts and I hope things straighten out for them.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Presumably Snow White will move off ILL and they'll put Tiana on, though.

Absolutely not. They'll just add a third ILL (including Tron). It's time to take Tron off VQ. The 1pm was open pretty much endlessly when I was on property (even on Saturday). The ILL's aren't selling out either. Meanwhile, Cosmic Rewind still fills instantly and sells out its ILL allocation by like, 10am. I think they should take CW off virtual queue, but I think they're terrified of that standby line going all the way outside and into the pavilion. The queue really feels like it was designed to be on VQ forever.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://twitter.com/AshleyLCarter1/status/1790355987485909364

VQ and Regular G+

Im shocked they aren't doing ILL

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Akileese posted:

Absolutely not. They'll just add a third ILL (including Tron). It's time to take Tron off VQ. The 1pm was open pretty much endlessly when I was on property (even on Saturday). The ILL's aren't selling out either. Meanwhile, Cosmic Rewind still fills instantly and sells out its ILL allocation by like, 10am. I think they should take CW off virtual queue, but I think they're terrified of that standby line going all the way outside and into the pavilion. The queue really feels like it was designed to be on VQ forever.

Is that since reservations went away for Guardians? It used to never fill up last year.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

https://twitter.com/AshleyLCarter1/status/1790355987485909364

VQ and Regular G+

Im shocked they aren't doing ILL

ah that sounds like they just don't wanna have to deal with the first couple of weeks of surge getting tangled in btmrr's line. that's smart

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Is that since reservations went away for Guardians? It used to never fill up last year.

Guardians is still VQ and ILL. I don't know what has happened there, but the ILLs and VQ started going significantly quicker sometime late last year. I noticed it when I took my wife down for Hanson at Epcot. It became much harder to get an early boarding group for Guardians and the upshot of that is the ILLs started getting snapped up earlier. I can discount a lot about what I saw Saturday because it was Saturday, and also Simple Plan was playing Epcot and that brought in a lot of people, but it was like that in February too.

I'll be honest, I think this is less a "Guardians is popular thing" and more of a "more and more people are growing up loving the poo poo out of roller coasters" thing. Velocicoaster times have gone up significantly (even after express was added). Less people seem scared to get on them, which honestly, I'm all for.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 14, 2024

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Akileese posted:

Tron’s queue seems like it was badly planned and a complete miss by the imagineers.

You have the outside portion with sweltering heat and nothing to look at, then a “pre-show” where you’re digitized that lasts maybe all of thirty seconds, then the worst portion of all: the switchback room with the creepy blue-eyed computer lady giving the ride instructions. And you’re stuck in that room for so long you hear the complete speech at least five or six times. I’ve done Tron three times now and I can probably recite the entire thing.

The last room after the lockers is probably the most interesting, with the Jumbotron showing the stats of opponent players, but it moves pretty quickly.

It’s just such a bizarrely paced line, especially since the ride itself is so short. At least other new big budget rides like Rise and Guardians and Flight of Passage, and even some older ones like Soarin and Big Thunder, have lots of stuff to look at in line and the pre-show instruction spiel is fairly brief and leads straight into the ride so you don’t feel like you’ve wasted your time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'd be honestly okay with it if they VQ'd every single ride in every park. Time spent on lines is wasted time for both the guests and the company.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

CapnAndy posted:

I'd be honestly okay with it if they VQ'd every single ride in every park. Time spent on lines is wasted time for both the guests and the company.

Do you like crowds, because that's how you get crowds.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Except if nobody is waiting in a line, then the shops/walkways/restaurants would be so overcrowded it would be a mess.

ETA: what he said

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The parks are designed to have a certain number of people in line. Having no lines would violate fire codes etc.

I was at DCA once when there was an earth quake and they had to dump every single ride and line in order to do safety checks. Nobody in line meant everybody was in the walkways etc. It was absolute bedlam.

I suppose they could do it if they significantly reduced park capacity. But they'd never do that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also that's just Genie+. You invented Genie+ again.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that. It also means you'll wait longer for everything because it's a lot easier to just tap a button and virtually wait in a long line, whereas standing in, say, a 75 minute line requires some dedication. So every major draw attraction would have a longer virtual queue than the actual queues already are. When they removed VQ from Rise, the wait time went from having to wait multiple hours for your virtual queue time (unless you were one of the first) to averaging around a little over an hour.

And then what happens when every major ride's virtual queues are all distributed? Now you have to shell out money to ride every major ride. This is probably the sole reason they don't want to get rid of Virtual Queue for Guardians - they want that ILL money since your only options are to luck out with a VQ or pay up.

It also removes all spontaneity which is bad when there's already so little left in a WDW vacation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BlueBayou posted:

The parks are designed to have a certain number of people in line. Having no lines would violate fire codes etc.

I dont think that's the case. The outside areas can hold well over the set park capacity even in MK. It would not be pleasant but I don't think it would be in violation of anything. I can see it being a lot tighter in California though (and they probably have stricter regulations to boot).

couldcareless posted:

Do you like crowds, because that's how you get crowds.

as opposed to what we have now?

An all VQ system for rides could and would be great, but it would require some major redesign of park systems and likely a lowered capacity at most parks. They would have to do a lot more in park entertainment and shows too. It would probably require people being ok with being given strict all day itineraries which wouldn't fly for most though, even if it meant more people would get to do more stuff.

Also, the point of Lightning/G+ is not the availability of virtual queues, it's a monetized fast pass and nothing more.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

All I'm hearing is solvable problems :colbert:

I mean, you still spend some time in line in VQs, just less because you're being staggered at a rate commensurate with how quickly the ride can process riders.