Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Palleon posted:

Miscellaneous blu-ray question that hopefully you guys can answer: Season 4, Disc 1 of How I Met your Mother won't read in my PS3 anymore. Discs 2 and 3, along with any game I have work fine, but for this disk, it will recognize it, it will boot up, give me the intro FBI warning, then crash back to the dashboard. The disk looks immaculate, I've wiped it down anyway, don't see any evidence of scratches or smudges, yet I just can't get it to get into the main menu. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can look for or try to do to get it readable again?

Edit: Also, it used to work fine, even as late as last week, so it wasn't defective to begin with.

Perhaps try clearing your BD Data in the XMB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus

Smiley Face posted:

Fixed my PS3 with the heat gun method today, so so happy I don't lose any of my saves now! :D

Quick question about transfering data: It says that LBP game data doesn't transfer, but isn't this where most of the save is kept now, or is it just character info? Should I try and back these up to a stick just in case?

My Launch 60gb just went tits up this afternoon (yellow then flashing red). As far as I understand, my options are to contact Sony and pay them to repair it. Repair it myself, although from what I've read it is not a permanent solution - enough to get saved games, deauthorize, get my disc out of it, etc. Or just buy a new one and sell my ps3's corpse.

Would Sony's repair be any more reliable than my DIY? Its served me well for a while, I'd like to get my disc out of it and my saved games off of it if possible, but if the solutions arent going to be long term, I dont know if its worth money/effort to do so.

Is Sony's repair more reliable than doing it oneself?

If I sell my ps3's corpse, I'm assuming I should wipe the drive to prevent my psn account from being used, shares taken, etc?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Fuzz posted:

I'm more interested in them making fake firmware to spoof PSN at the moment. I miss being able to play games with you guys.

Hopefully this never happens, it would lead to rampant cheating.

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is TGS over yet?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Homebrew of any kind is still very early and not really worth posting about.

Unless it's a huge hoax, the only really interesting thing I've seen so far is this, which pretty much shows that PSP games can be modded to run on the PS3. Setting the legality of using the hacked toolchain aside, I think it's a really awesome proof of concept.

Then again I don't own a PSP anymore because there really were very few games I actually wanted to play that don't have good or better PS3 counterparts. If only Square would release the updated Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS3 though. I don't really want to pay for the PSOne version :argh:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So if that video's true Sony has an already working PSP emulator on the PS3; just released it Sony, I would have bought plenty of titles on PSN for it but I am not getting a loving PSP.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
The emulator for the Minis is a fully fledged PSP emulator it's just arbitrarily locked to certain titles.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
welp, that video's a fake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05_8e7uKHZ0

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Random question: I have all my music stored on my Windows Home Server. The PS3 detects it automatically, and I can drill down until I get to an album I want to listen to. When I open it, though, it sorts it alphabetically by track name, as opposed to using the track number. Is there any way to change this? I see no options in the triangle menu.

Edit: while I'm here, how do I know if a game supports listening to my own music while playing? I want to put on some Blockhead and chill to PJ Shooter, but I can't figure it out.

EC fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 19, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

EC posted:

Edit: while I'm here, how do I know if a game supports listening to my own music while playing? I want to put on some Blockhead and chill to PJ Shooter, but I can't figure it out.

In general assume it doesnt. To check just try and play a song on the XMB while in-game. If it works it'll play. If it doesn't it'll warn you you have to exit the game first.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Sorta related, and I don't know if it's been around for a while, but you can now use the internet browser while listening to mp3s.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

RagnarokAngel posted:

In general assume it doesnt. To check just try and play a song on the XMB while in-game. If it works it'll play. If it doesn't it'll warn you you have to exit the game first.

When I'm in game, I can't even browse my server. It just gives me playlists.

Not a big deal, I'm just used to how super easy it is on the 360.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I might be remembering wrong, but is there a site that does comparisons of 360/PS3 multiplatform games , graphics and FPS wise? Sorry if this is off topic.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

4 Day Weekend posted:

I might be remembering wrong, but is there a site that does comparisons of 360/PS3 multiplatform games , graphics and FPS wise? Sorry if this is off topic.

http://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry/
https://www.lensoftruth.com
http://forum.beyond3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 (Framerate Analysis and Image Quality threads)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

So I bought a PS3 Move bundle (320gb slim) and would like to transfer my data off of my 40GB PS3. I've heard of that data transfer thing but not sure how to proceed with it.

My 40GB PS3 has 3.41, no idea what the 320GB has yet - will I need to update both to the latest firmware to do the data transfer? (I'd ideally like to leave the 40GB on 3.41 so when I sell it the buyer has the option to keep that firmware for all that homebrew-definitely-not-piracy-no-siree-bob which apparently everyone is interested in.

Do I just link them together with a network cable and that's that? Do I have to disable accounts or sync or anything like that (which I presume is probably not possible without updating as I you can't login to PSN on 3.41)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Durzel posted:

So I bought a PS3 Move bundle (320gb slim) and would like to transfer my data off of my 40GB PS3. I've heard of that data transfer thing but not sure how to proceed with it.

My 40GB PS3 has 3.41, no idea what the 320GB has yet - will I need to update both to the latest firmware to do the data transfer? (I'd ideally like to leave the 40GB on 3.41 so when I sell it the buyer has the option to keep that firmware for all that homebrew-definitely-not-piracy-no-siree-bob which apparently everyone is interested in.

Do I just link them together with a network cable and that's that? Do I have to disable accounts or sync or anything like that (which I presume is probably not possible without updating as I you can't login to PSN on 3.41)

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Thanks for that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My wife just bought me a PS3 for my birthday because she is awesome. I want to pick up another controller so we can play together. The Sony branded controllers are pretty pricey. Are there any third party options that are less expensive but don't suck, or am I better off just biting the bullet on a $45 - $55 first party controller?

Oh and right now I've just got Little Big Planet. What other games would be good to play together? Castle Crashers looks like a good purchase that would be easy for us to pick up and play.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If I can be brutally honest there really aren't 3rd party controllers that will stand up. In the long run paying the full price is just the better deal.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

My wife just bought me a PS3 for my birthday because she is awesome. I want to pick up another controller so we can play together. The Sony branded controllers are pretty pricey. Are there any third party options that are less expensive but don't suck, or am I better off just biting the bullet on a $45 - $55 first party controller?

Oh and right now I've just got Little Big Planet. What other games would be good to play together? Castle Crashers looks like a good purchase that would be easy for us to pick up and play.

Playstation Move has my girlfriend asking me to play

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
So has anything been announced for firmware 3.50 apart from 3D Blu-Ray support?

edit: hey just like that here's the changelist
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Nuevo-Firmware-PS3-v3-50/td-p/11547617

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I know my girlfriend's crazy about Scott Pilgrim but she also really liked Castle Crashers so that might just be her genre.

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

So has anything been announced for firmware 3.50 apart from 3D Blu-Ray support?

edit: hey just like that here's the changelist
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Nuevo-Firmware-PS3-v3-50/td-p/11547617

English version anywhere?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Doc Cylon posted:

English version anywhere?

Machine translated version (thanks Chrome):

quote:

- Support for Blu-ray 3D
- 'Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity' - Nueno icon [Music]. Although this service is not yet available for this service icon and will be shown in this section.
- Control 'Direct Pointer' browser via PlayStation Move.
- User Interface Plus PlayStation PlayStation Store update.
- 3D Display of notice to warn of 3D content
- Calibration of PlayStation motion control will be possible to move through the menu [Game]
- Reports about users may be sent from your PS3 through the message options on the tab [Friends]
- 14 of the most common mistakes have been extended with a description of the problem and possible solutions
- You can access your PS3 via Facebook profile through the [Allow access profile] available at [Account Management]

That last one is kinda :psyduck:, unless it's saying you can access your FB profile on your PS3.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I think that the third one might be saying that instead of having to scroll by holding down the trigger and trying to do some precise waggling with the move controller, you'll be to use it like a pointer. That'll be nice.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Error descriptions will be nice (the most common error code is just a network timeout, but hey, a description is helpful).

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
So the 3.50 appears tomorrow, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep sure does! Around 6 p.m. pacific time.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!

I said come in! posted:

Yep sure does! Around 6 p.m. pacific time.

Alright thanks. I'm still with 3.41 firmware, because i knew about this new one and didn't want to update to 3.42 :)

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pink DS3 is now available :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Pink DS3 is now available :allears:

:gay:

I really want a white or silver DS3 controller.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really want a white or silver Japanese DS3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I really want a white or silver Japanese DS3.

Is there a difference? You can get them easily enough from Amazon, they are just expensive. :/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Is there a difference? You can get them easily enough from Amazon, they are just expensive. :/

Supposedly (according to stirlo) the analog stick tension is way higher... like DS2 level high. As a guy that likes a stiffer stick (:dong: ) this is a good thing.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Supposedly (according to stirlo) the analog stick tension is way higher... like DS2 level high. As a guy that likes a stiffer stick (:dong: ) this is a good thing.

There's not more tension at all. I have two white japanese ones and two australian black ones. It's all the same thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Okay, someone talk me out of going out and buying another PS3 just to homebrew on it. I ama poor medical student who can't afford it, but goddammit the window for 3.41 is only going to get smaller!

Or conversely, find me a cheap guaranteed 3.41 or less PS3 for cheap. I don't even need controllers!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Okay, someone talk me out of going out and buying another PS3 just to homebrew on it. I ama poor medical student who can't afford it, but goddammit the window for 3.41 is only going to get smaller!

Or conversely, find me a cheap guaranteed 3.41 or less PS3 for cheap. I don't even need controllers!

When you get your 2nd PS3 and your little jailbreak USB thing, what exactly are you going to do with it? There's no fun homebrew stuff to play with.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mug posted:

When you get your 2nd PS3 and your little jailbreak USB thing, what exactly are you going to do with it? There's no fun homebrew stuff to play with.

Oh but there will be... there will be.

If they manage to get a working MAME, SNES, Genesis, et al. and also PC Engine, Dreamcast, Saturn, XBMC, N64, and Gamecube emulators working on it, it would have been WELL worth the purchase. Cheaper than getting an HTPC, plus it plays basically every old console I love, has a built in 1080p HDMI port, AND it works with a remote? (which I already have)

Sign me up!

A theoretical Wii emulator via Move would just be icing on the cake. Icing I doubt will ever happen, but hey, whatever.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

If they manage to get a working MAME, SNES, Genesis, et al. and also PC Engine, Dreamcast, Saturn, XBMC, N64, and Gamecube emulators working on it, it would have been WELL worth the purchase. Cheaper than getting an HTPC, plus it plays basically every old console I love, has a built in 1080p HDMI port, AND it works with a remote? (which I already have)

Sign me up!

A theoretical Wii emulator via Move would just be icing on the cake. Icing I doubt will ever happen, but hey, whatever.

None of these things are worth buying a 2nd PS3 for the chance they might *eventually* happen. You can emulate all those things on your PC right now, faster than a PS3 can, in a much more polished form than any homebrew on the PS3 will ever achieve.

You can come over my place and play my old consoles if you want, they're not that fun anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Fuzz posted:

Sign me up!

I can't fathom why you'd want to buy another PS3 and go through the trouble and waiting required to get all this homebrew when the computer I'm fairly certain you're typing this at can probably do it just as well, save the Gamecube emulation maybe. Displaying old games in 1080p doesn't magically make them look better (hell it might make them look worse) and who hasn't burned through every good game on those old consoles who has touched emulation at all?

Just do it on your computer if you need it so bad.

• Locked thread