Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I think there should be some rule about not having to be in a strict line when in contact with the enemy, that shits just too deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We have two events today my spergy history loving friends!

First is the EU one at 7PM whatever the hell the name of the time zone it is in the UK 8PM central European time with Napoleonic Wars. Then at 8PM EST we're doing the KPR Blood And Iron event.

Rabhadh posted:

I think there should be some rule about not having to be in a strict line when in contact with the enemy, that shits just too deadly.

Moving in lines until contact with enemy, then spread out or collapse the line utterly?

Basically the rule of thumb is 'as long as everyone stays in an allotted pile of easy to shoot dudes' it can work.

Also considered by myself.

*Allowing Cav to shoot their guns on horse back on the move.
*Turning the buffs on.
*Having Light Infantry and Rifles be the ones to only use only cover AND concealment.
*Let Line Infantry use hard cover (walls, terrain, the exteriors of houses) only.
*Restrict build points to 50.
*Allow only Sharp Shooters (Rifles) to permanently garrison a building.
*Restrict rounds to 15 minutes each.
*No Revolver Rifle. That stuff is the walking apocalypse.

I'm thinking of just making all Zoaves appearance wise Light Infantry.

And of course, having a good map list of open detailed maps for 100 players min would help a lot.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I will have some time on sunday night most likely or monday.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

always be closing posted:

I will have some time on sunday night most likely or monday.

Might be a problem, we already have a NW event. Though I might ask our NW regulars if they would mind doing a 'switch' to North And South if we can get a solid rule set up.

Monday is out as that line battle is finally start to pick up!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Might be a problem, we already have a NW event. Though I might ask our NW regulars if they would mind doing a 'switch' to North And South if we can get a solid rule set up.

Monday is out as that line battle is finally start to pick up!
I meant ill have time to sit down and go over some rules. Ill hit you up on steam chat when i get home one night this weekend.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We got our Thursday EU Line Battle happening in 40 minutes from this post.

Also, check out Gamers Gate the DLC is still on sale. Pick it up if you can!

always be closing posted:

I meant ill have time to sit down and go over some rules. Ill hit you up on steam chat when i get home one night this weekend.

Ah alright. I'll try and find these rules those KPR guys were talking about we'll see what we can salvage.

Count Mippi
Nov 7, 2009

Benson's gonna drop his balls when he sees how good we set up these chairs. He's gonna be all like: "Oh no, my gumballs!"

EU event starting now, mumble it up goons.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Just to give a heads up to any lurkers in this thread, Napoleonic Wars and all of the other paradox games are on sale right now on Gamersgate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alright that was a good fun EU line battle earlier on, but time for our new-ish Blood And Iron event in less than an hour tonight with the KPR and their own event.

If we have the numbers like last night, might be worth splitting up into two groups and supporting each other with some lead frogging.

Also, not sure what day we have events on and for what modules? book mark and double check our schedule on this handy online Google Document.

Slightly out of date but still all good.

Maguro posted:

Just to give a heads up to any lurkers in this thread, Napoleonic Wars and all of the other paradox games are on sale right now on Gamersgate.

Seriously, with Gamersgate you get STEAM codes now too if that is stopping anyone.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 28, 2013

Count Mippi
Nov 7, 2009

Benson's gonna drop his balls when he sees how good we set up these chairs. He's gonna be all like: "Oh no, my gumballs!"

Blood and Iron event in 30 minutes! And guess what? We get to be ARTY on the second map! WOW! Get in the loving mumble!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I recently got M&B and want to get into this upcoming thing but just to be clear, I don't need a mic right? Just listen, follow and get shot?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

I recently got M&B and want to get into this upcoming thing but just to be clear, I don't need a mic right? Just listen, follow and get shot?

Bingo.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Always nice to be on the side of a coordinated force :)

BTW, nobody was talking on the Mumble channel this time around, right? Usually there's some chatter going on but this time there was dead silence. Either everyone was keeping quiet something's wrong with my Mumble.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

That was all quite fun. I was quiet because I don't have a mic.

House assaults :downs:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Always nice to be on the side of a coordinated force :)

BTW, nobody was talking on the Mumble channel this time around, right? Usually there's some chatter going on but this time there was dead silence. Either everyone was keeping quiet something's wrong with my Mumble.

Check your Mumble. We're always quite chatty.

But yeah, despite the slight issues with maps which seem to be the most common issue now the KPR event was fun. Blood And Iron Artillery seems to be about movement and working with line infantry instead of holding back as a solid fortified battery and pelting easy to hit line infantry.

Our team was pretty cool in directing us in team chat.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

SeanBeansShako posted:

Check your Mumble. We're always quite chatty.

But yeah, despite the slight issues with maps which seem to be the most common issue now the KPR event was fun. Blood And Iron Artillery seems to be about movement and working with line infantry instead of holding back as a solid fortified battery and pelting easy to hit line infantry.

Our team was pretty cool in directing us in team chat.

Nevermind, I had my headphones/microphone plugged in to the wrong jack :downs: At least now I know for future reference to check that sort of thing before going multiplayer on anything.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
I just had a couple of thoughts bounding about in my skull for the North and South rules:

* No more than two officers (revolvers) per regiment
* A regimental scout should be allowed
* Regiments can travel/fire with maximum 1-2 man spacing
* Officer can dismount from his/her horse
* All chaps in a regiment must use the same gun type
* Regiments must field an entire musician corps (complete with fifer, drummer, bugler, and bagpipes where available) and colour guard <---- #optional#

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ExParrot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 28, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

^
So using this, thanks!

ExParrot posted:

I just had a couple of thoughts bounding about in my skull for the North and South rules:

* No more than two officers (revolvers) per regiment
* A regimental scout should be allowed
* Regiments can travel/fire with maximum 1-2 man spacing
* Officer can dismount from his/her horse
* All chaps in a regiment must use the same gun type
* Regiments must field an entire musician corps (complete with fifer, drummer, bugler, and bagpipes where available) and colour guard <---- #optional#

I've considered all of these and they make sense. Also been thinking about pretty much saying gently caress realism and have all line just fix their bayonet at the start at once. It'll encourage people to get closer to shoot at each other instead of playing 19th Century Sniper line and dragging out the round.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 28, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

SeanBeansShako posted:

^
So using this, thanks!

I've considered all of these and they make sense. Also been thinking about pretty much saying gently caress realism and have all line just fix their bayonet at the start at once. It'll encourage people to get closer to shoot at each other instead of playing 19th Century Sniper line and dragging out the round.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that, especially this last Blood and Iron round since there'd be people shooting at targets and I'd maybe see a speck moving in the distance. Speaking of shooting, question: I've downloaded the reticle mod in the OP, does changing to first-person view for aiming really make that much of a difference or can I change how I aim in third-person (ie: aiming a bit higher than my target) to compensate for the change?

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
I can pretty much never see enemies except as tiny pixels off in the distance, I just shoot roughly in the direction of things and hope for the best. which is pretty much why I can only ever hit things if they're right next to me :v:
It's also why I managed to nail a teammate in the face by accident from miles off with a carbine. I can never get shots to hit except when they really shouldn't, or in the one round per battle where i suddenly channel a musket sniper god and get about three headshots in a row.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

SeanBeansShako posted:

That would be a fantastic idea, it would differentiate the sharpies from the line infantry a little better as most sharpshooters don't have bayonets as far as I can remember... Perhaps it would encourage a few bold commanders to recreate Picket's charge as well

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alright, we got our Blood And Iron EU event happening in around 30 minutes time more or less from this post. If you can make it start popping into the Mumble channel.

We also have the NEC Line Battle at 9PM EST.

Count Mippi
Nov 7, 2009

10 minutes until our EU Blood and Iron event, come on in Mumble.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So this time we assaulted a house and it exploded.

Iswed
Jan 6, 2011

Hussar!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That was a pretty drat fun event, I can't believe we even managed to pull off some old fashioned sword to the face kills. With a little concentration and timing playing cavalry still can be fun even with Blood And Iron.

Anyway in less than 30 minutes we'll be rocking our friday night NW event with the NEC. Start getting into the Mumble goons!

nohitcharlie
Sep 7, 2011

Soldaten bereiten zu dieser Phantasie Vogel schieben!
War were declared.

Get in mumble. We are confirmed as arty for tonight.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ah artillery train, the thrill of pulling our guns into a kick rear end position and then dying with your horse to a cannon ball or spending 10 minutes waiting for somebody in the guard or loading crew to die so I can do something else.

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Anyways, lately the random map generator is being a dick so I dug around with google search and found a basic instructional guide on how to map with NW.

Read it here if you want to give it a try.

dumb silly baby
Apr 10, 2001
I downloaded the mod Full Invasion 2 last night, its a co-op vs waves of increasingly powerful enemy AI featuring bosses mod.
Unfortunately its a total system resource hog and really requires a 64bit system to run properly.
There are some good videos of it in action on youtube featuring a wide variety of units and maps.
Looking forward to joining in today, see you guys in mumble.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We got our own NW event at 8PM EST tonight. If the numbers are good, goons will be Cavalry.

Also, still not certain on GCG and their line battle but I've started to work on our own N&S event rules. Have a look at what I've thrown together so far and give me your thoughts.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

We got our own NW event at 8PM EST tonight. If the numbers are good, goons will be Cavalry.

Also, still not certain on GCG and their line battle but I've started to work on our own N&S event rules. Have a look at what I've thrown together so far and give me your thoughts.

gotta make that public.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is public now

Alright the event is happening in 40 minutes time, I'll be setting the server up soon leaving the details in my Mumble profile whilst I work in the 38e TeamSpeak.

I'd advise goons to get into the server ASAP ( at least 15 minutes before the event begins) or some may have to wait for a slot if the numbers are like last weeks.

It things go well goons will be French Cavalry tonight.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

20 minutes to game! Get in as you can, gooners!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Event starting in 10 minutes get in the Mumble and join the server right now before the pubbie rush goons!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
French Cavalry, get the gently caress in here!

nohitcharlie
Sep 7, 2011

Soldaten bereiten zu dieser Phantasie Vogel schieben!
I have a few things, mainly rewording to be unambiguous so no one can exploit and claim legality:

"Officers are allowed to scout away from their men with a body guard and can fight defensively if attacked."
May want to specify allowable actions for the line left behind(stationary only, or able to retreat but not press attack, something to ensure fragmented line actions can't be explained as the officer is away scouting. Are split regiment actions allowed?

Firing on the move or a charge or stationary is allowed together.
Can line up and shoot stationary on horseback or on foot.

Clarification? Cav can fire at any time when mounted as long as the whole regiment is firing, but only in a line when on foot?

Two artillery pieces max, cannon OR howitzer.
Meaning 2 cannon or 2 howie, not one of each, right?

Line: Allowed to stand or retreat behind hard cover (walls, terrain, exteriors of buildings)
Assault:Can use concealment (bushes and trees) and sapper build fences
If we're going to differentiate between concealement and cover, can line use trees as hard cover even though they may conceal, and can assault use hard cover? (I assume so since sappers build it. Also, arty guard can use cover and follow assault rules).

Lastly, does arty guard constitute an individual line if cannons are lost to the enemy, or should they join a friendly line?

It's a little pedantic, but there won't be any legitimate excuses.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A good line battle, I've gotten fed up dealing with these unfunny kids trying to troll for cheap YouTube laughs so I've turned off friendly fire.

And yeah I'll rework the wording and go into a little more detail with those rules tomorrow, they are still WIP.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So what's a more accurate representation of our event schedule, the spreadsheet or the Steam group events?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

So what's a more accurate representation of our event schedule, the spreadsheet or the Steam group events?

The spreadsheet, both are the same though.

Speaking of events, from the 12th to the 19th I'll be in Scotland for a week with my family (my elder cousin is tying the knot) so I won't be managing this stuff for a whole week.

I'll need a few goon volunteers to get the details for the events. The act itself isn't hard, using the google document you can find the FSE thread which usually has the TS or contact details for those involved.

The 38e will hopefully run the Sunday Event in my absence.

Also tonight, we'll be doing an American Napoleonic Wars line battle at 8PM EST. And do we need another EU event now our numbers have grown a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The reason I asked was actually because there's nothing for Monday on the spreadsheet.

• Locked thread