Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

EDIT: Oops, forgot the link. Go Watch Redline.

REDLINE is an amazing film. The animation is gorgeous, and the actual film is ridiculous. I personally am in love with the shading, and the general style of it, which seems to be Takeshi Koike's 'signature' of sorts.
The 'prequel' to REDLINE, called Trava: Fist Planet is also pretty great. He also directed the first episode of Afro Samurai, which is an anime about a samurai with a 'fro, voiced by Samuel L. Jackson who also has a floating ninja buddy. Also voiced by Samuel L. Jackson.

I would pay good money for a WipEout animated film directed by Takeshi Koike. Or for a more career-focused WipEout game, with cutscenes directed by Mr. Koike. Both would, of course, feature the same loved visual design by The Designers Republic.

[another six hundred thousand words on why that would be the best thing ever]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

JamieTheD posted:

Okay guys, while you're waitin' for an update (and for me to get into some serious editing), go enjoy something courtesy of Manga Entertainment and the Catpiss Thread. If you enjoy it enough, go support the dudes who made the film. That's what I'm doin' next month!

EDIT: Oops, forgot the link. Go Watch Redline.

DOUBLE EDIT: Some NSW, should warn you.

What the hell did I just watch?! :psyboom:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Damnit Jamie, how can you not try this? It's Semi-Trucks with Jet Engines and Anti Aircraft Guns. :iia:

Oh my naive younger self...

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Oh my naive younger self...

I have no sympathy for you. Also, I have you pencilled in as co-commentator for Clutch (also by Targem Games), because you love Gear Grinder so much. :moreevil:

EDIT: This abomination was what he was reminding me of, by the way... For reference. Hate. Hate [etc].

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 27, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

I have no sympathy for you. Also, I have you pencilled in as co-commentator for Clutch (also by Targem Games), because you love Gear Grinder so much. :moreevil:

You monster. :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bellmaker posted:

What the hell did I just watch?! :psyboom:

Yeah, I'd hesitate to call it an amazing film. It's certainly brilliantly animated and has some solid action. Other than that, I dunno.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that tunnel. Getting attacked in there must be a death sentence.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Good lord that tunnel. Getting attacked in there must be a death sentence.

If you're in something like a Goteki-45 or a Qirex, not so much. FEISAR and Auricom is slightly more dicey... But if you're in an AGS, Piranha, or an Icaras, then yeah, you're basically hosed if some bastard mines it (and against other players? They totally will, because it sure as hell isn't gonna bite them in the rear end!)

Speaking of the Icaras, we shall actually have an update later tonight, and it's going to be magical. Biscuit and I really enjoyed recording this one, and instead of the classic track for this one (I'll have that co-commentated soonish), we're going to have an equally magical FRIW segment.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Speaking of the Icaras, we shall actually have an update later tonight

I was thinking about hounding your rear end about this tonight. We recorded that poo poo like a bazillion years ago.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Track 3 - Sampa Run

MUSIC: Brightly Fancy (Kevin McLeod), Icaras (Sasha)
CO-COMMENTATOR: The Mighty Biscuit (Who else were you expecting for this?)

How I Got There

Assegai: 1 attempt

The Icaras has a very simple design philosophy: Go really god-drat fast. Unfortunately, this means that they neglect some other important things, like a good turning circle, or shields better than toilet paper, or even good acceleration... And this has led Icaras reps to complain that the track isn't “right for their craft”. It also means that the people who fly Icaras craft are almost as insane as the founder, Burnston Burns, who created the team from scratch in seven (not six) months, and had an extra pair of eyes implanted just to promote his digital spectacles company, Four-Ize. Considering that, canonically, they never even finish a single race, you can probably guess that the lack of maneuverability (compared to their speed) and shields make this quite a painful experience if you aren't pro as hell. By the time of Fusion, Burns has sadly died (I like the lore as to how: choking on a balloon he swallowed at a children's party), and the team with him. I still have a soft spot for them, however, because they are the only purely UK corp in the series.

And Sampa Run is definitely not “right for their craft”. It's got an early chicane, lot of sharp turns, a tunnel that requires good pitch control (pitch up to not hit the ramp with your noise, quickly pitch down to not hit the god-drat ceiling), which is followed immediately by a sharp turn, another sharp turn, and a fork that quickly forces you to choose between a ramp with a poor entry to the next corner, or a tunnel that requires a third sharp turn to get into! Of course, this is all from the Icaras point of view. From, say, an Auricom's point of view, it's got only the one or two really sharp turns, and the third tunnel isn't that hard to get to. Welcome to the Icaras experience, and let me tell you now: I will be amazed if I win the race in less than five tries.

Fun fact: Both the Icaras and the Piranha have, at various points, had bugs in their deceleration code, which meant they decelerated slower than any other craft. I'm pretty sure this wasn't fixed for the Special Edition.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Future Racing Is Weird: Gear Grinder/Sledgehammer

Text Link

Gear Grinder (or Sledgehammer in some countries), by Targem Games, is... A strangely compelling mess. The handling is bad, even for a semi-truck racer, the physics are... well, not great, the VA is awful, the fact that they attempted to have a plot and then did text to speech on the introduction (with perhaps the longest pause between sentence parts in video gaming history) speaks badly of the game. And yet, it is essentially a game about blowing poo poo up.

Ex trucker Jack Hammer lost it all, thanks to some drug gang. So he put guns and spikes and armour plating on his truck (the jet engines came with the sale), and murdered his way across the country. He smoulders with generic rage. And Biscuit smoulders with generic amusement as we take a look at this glorious wreck.

I still haven't gotten past the first chapter boss level.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still baffled at how they were able to gently caress this up. It seems like such a simple concept.

Jet engines + Semi-Trucks + Anti Aircraft Guns seems like it would add up to AWESOME.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Track 3 - Sampa Run

MUSIC: Brightly Fancy (Kevin McLeod), Icaras (Sasha)
CO-COMMENTATOR: The Mighty Biscuit (Who else were you expecting for this?)

I am using the font for all these menus on my PC, I've replaced the default Windows font with it... It's not the most unreadable thing, once you get a little used to it, and it looks cool as hell so...

EDIT: Also the truck in Gear Grinder looks very much like Optimus Prime from Transformers Prime. I'm very much okay with that.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 8, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry if I missed an explanation, but could you go over how you progress in W3? You have to pass a time trial to open a race? How does team selection/unlocking work?

And a general Wipeout question: do any of the older (pre-HD) games feature weaponless races? Sometimes AI+pickups can feel really cheap and get annoying. (HD's racebox might let you set that up in a custom event, iirc. And I think there might be one in 2048; they play around with restrictions during the campagin).

Serperoth posted:

It's not the most unreadable thing, once you get a little used to it, and it looks cool as hell so...

Sure does.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Sorry if I missed an explanation, but could you go over how you progress in W3? You have to pass a time trial to open a race? How does team selection/unlocking work?
Sure does.

In W3, if you win the last unlocked race, you unlock the next track. You start with four tracks and four crafts. For more crafts, you need to win gold with all the crafts so far to unlock the rest, on one track. Win with the Feisar, Auricom, Goteki and Piranha, and you unlock the next one (Qirex I believe), win with the Qirex, you get the AG-S.

No need to do time trials at all, actually.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

And a general Wipeout question: do any of the older (pre-HD) games feature weaponless races? Sometimes AI+pickups can feel really cheap and get annoying. (HD's racebox might let you set that up in a custom event, iirc. And I think there might be one in 2048; they play around with restrictions during the campagin).

Yeah, Wipeout 3 has it as a general option (Options -> Game Options -> Weapons OFF), not so sure about Fusion, and because HD is based off of Pure and Pulse (mostly Pulse), the two games have many of the same options in racebox mode. Pretty sure XL and the original don't have these options, however.

EDIT: As far as unlocks go, lemme explain it.

The Unlock System for Wip3out (and, by extension, SE)

Unlike some other games in the series, Wip3out's unlock system remains pretty simple, but it does require a little bit of explanation. There are, in total, eight Wipeout League tracks, four of which you start with, same again for Classic League in Special Edition, and between four (Normal WO3) and six (Wip3out SE) "Prototype Tracks" (which, as we'll see when I get round to it, might be verrrry familiar.) You also start with the four basic craft: FEISAR, Goteki-45, Auricom, and Piranha (filling the Handling, Shield, Standard and Speed roles, respectively).

Once you've gotten any medal in the first four tracks, the next one unlocks. This keeps going until you've unlocked all four of the final tracks. Once you've gotten a Gold with each individual craft (any track, doesn't have to be a single track), you unlock the next craft (It goes First four -> Qirex-RD -> AG-Systems -> Assegai -> Icaras.)

Now here's where it gets a bit annoying. The main four Prototype tracks (all following the naming convention LS-10X) are unlocked by getting gold on every track, with every ship, in each of the speed classes of the Wipeout League. Then, for the other two prototype tracks, you have to do it again, but with the classic tracks. Finish all eight groups of 64 races, and you'll get the other two tracks. Needless to say, when the Race comes round, I won't be asking for Prototype Track races. Also needless to say, I will not be in the best of moods unlocking LS-104 (All Phantom Golds), LS-105 and LS-106 (ALL GOLDS.)

To stress, Time Trial is for track learning and dickwaving only.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 8, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Pure and Pulse, how long are you going to be spending on each of them? They both have a lot of races, especially Pulse.

Looking forward to Fusion as it was the first Wipeout game I really spent any length of time with. I owned 2097, but I was too young to be any good at it. :shobon:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Speaking of Pure and Pulse, how long are you going to be spending on each of them? They both have a lot of races, especially Pulse.

Looking forward to Fusion as it was the first Wipeout game I really spent any length of time with. I owned 2097, but I was too young to be any good at it. :shobon:

I haven't 100% decided yet (still plenty of time to decide), but so far, I'm thinking to unlock the tracks off-camera, then do them in the same style as Wip3out (Time Trial, Race, [Replay if the game's got it (most don't)]). Because you're quite right, there are a lot of races in campaign mode (required for unlocking other stuff, along with some serious offscreen grinding.)

Zone mode, Speed Lap, and [Zone] Battle modes will be the odd ducks out, as they're kinda tough to set up (at least, until PPSSPP gets MP sorted, a difficult task in and of itself), so I will most likely only lightly touch on those.

Despite the terrible track design in some areas, I actually like Fusion for trying an upgrade system, and it is, surprisingly, less grindy than Pure or Pulse's skin-unlocks (which are painful... More on those when we get to Pure and Pulse, but either way, it's very, very silly. HD Fans will know what I mean when I hiss the words "Team Loyalty" at them in possibly the most hateful tones I can)

EDIT: One thing for certain, the Black/White/Forward/Reverse differences will definitely be explained. Because only Fusion just reverses the track.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 8, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I am using the font for all these menus on my PC, I've replaced the default Windows font with it... It's not the most unreadable thing, once you get a little used to it, and it looks cool as hell so...

EDIT: Also the truck in Gear Grinder looks very much like Optimus Prime from Transformers Prime. I'm very much okay with that.

I disagree. I disagree so very hard. I would rather have god drat comic sans than that unreadable mess.

Though yeah, it does look like Optimus Prime.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I disagree. I disagree so very hard. I would rather have god drat comic sans than that unreadable mess.

Though yeah, it does look like Optimus Prime.

B-but my favourite sci-fi weapons racing video games.

It does help that I more or less know where and what everything is, so I don't really have to read all of it...

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Future Racing Is Weird: Gear Grinder/Sledgehammer

Jaaaaamiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!

Why didn't you tell ME about this game earlier? It looks perfect. Action! Adventure! Extreme destruction!

I'm also only 6 minutes in so maybe it gets worse but right now I'm so mad.

EDIT: Nope, made it the whole 22 minutes and I'm so steamed, you won't believe it.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 9, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ovues posted:

Jaaaaamiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!

Why didn't you tell ME about this game earlier? It looks perfect. Action! Adventure! Extreme destruction!

I'm also only 6 minutes in so maybe it gets worse but right now I'm so mad.

It gets worse. The final level of the first actual chapter, you have to:

- Do a perfect slalom mission, immediately followed by
- A timed arena fight where not killing all the enemies resets you to step 1, followed immediately by
- A perfect "Destroy cars or die" mission, immediately followed by
- A "Run the gently caress away while killing cop cars to get time" mission... Which is about as far as I ever got.

If you really want to play something like 12 levels, then 1 loving awful challenge over and over and over and over again, feel free. But it's that first boss level that really says "gently caress you, I'm uninstalling."

EDIT: I was also consistently understating just how loving awful the handling is. Hitting cars in a straight line? Sure. Hitting one car then one just off to the left? Good loving luck.

EDIT 2: I didn't quite make this clear, but failing anything on that level means you fail the whole level.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 9, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say, I haven't yet seen a game where you start out as a convicted murderer and go down from there.

So, uh, well done game designers?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Glazius posted:

I have to say, I haven't yet seen a game where you start out as a convicted murderer and go down from there.

So, uh, well done game designers?

ahem Hard Time

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Videos incoming this week, apologies for the delays, there has been a lot of stuff happening!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Videos incoming this week, apologies for the delays, there has been a lot of stuff happening!

Hurray, the LP lives! :woop:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Hurray, the LP lives! :woop:

Yes, and in other news, I'll finally be able to afford Premiere as of next month, so some loooooong delayed videos are finally going to get done! (Also, choco1980, did I give you a thing yet? PM me if I didn't.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh sure, you ask that two days after I finally give in and buy myself an av here. (also, for no apparent reason, I haven't really been in the subforum for like, months)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"I'll take thing!", screeches Blind Sally, the filthy opportunistic vulture that they are.

Glad to see this is still rolling floating.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Choco I'd be glad to help you with your gift burden, I know it's a real pain. :v:

Echoing Sally that I'm glad to see this still around, I was just talking about WipEout the other day and was wondering how the thread was doing.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Don't worry, choco, I found I have plenty of codes still left for games and things (also I get paid monday, so you can pick something by then. :D )

Hopefully gonna be co-commentating with some folks on the latest videos tonight, providing my hard drive doesn't die from stress, because seriously...

...gently caress editing the LocoCycle vid. No, it's about half as long now... But it broke my heart to do it.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay, we got us a triple threat today, so lots for you to enjoy!

Classic Track 3: Sagamartha (Rapier, Auricom)

MUSIC: Daft Punk - Musique
CO-COMMENTATOR: Nobody else had to suffer.

Okay, there's really no excuse for Sagamartha being such a resource hog in this game. No extra particle effects, no extra physics I'm aware of... But this was running at a stupidly low frame rate, and I apologise for that. But it did give me the chance to at least show the Auricom's design a fair bit, which is... Actually the oddest in the series. I also natter about progression and weapon tactics.

Track 4: Stanza Inter (Rapier, Pirhana)

MUSIC: Sasha - Piranha
CO-COMMENTATOR: JFairfax

The Pirhana Advancements craft is a rude shock to those who played Wipeout XL, as it's nowhere near the overpowered beast it was in that game. The company desires perfection in their craft, and they've at least got a powerful ship in this one. More to the point, it can use weapons (the cost of not having perfect stats in everything). It still doesn't make the Pirhana founder happy, though, despite being fairly good, as he has gone on record as saying that he will “never smile until we have achieved perfection.”

He hasn't quite hit that goal with this craft.

Classic Track 4: Phenitia Park (Rapier, Assegai)

MUSIC: Leftfield - Afro Ride
CO-COMMENTATOR: Blanktester

Phenitia Park remains one of my favourite tracks for Wipeout XL, and its concrete chicanes are a perfect fit for Wip3out SE. If anything, it appears they slightly tightened some of the corners, but it is still, if you know what you're doing, a joy to ride. This is the first time we're seeing the Assegai, and, coincidentally, it's also my favourite craft design of this game. Not my favourite team (they're a little one note, as we'll see when we play them in a Wip3out League track), but definitely my favourite design. Sadly, the asymmetric cockpit placement was dropped for later games in the series.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
If I'm remembering correctly, Stanza on Phantom with the Icarus is the worst. Clearing that one track on Phantom probably took longer than half the other tracks combined.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I take it you're gonna hack your way into the Phantom class, then. :v: Is RollCage gonna get some coverage in Future Racing is Weird?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose those billboards are all holo-billboards? You were just crashing right through the middle sometimes.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Yeah, maybe it was because I was using a Feisar, but I definitely don't remember being able to jump that high and drive into the billboards in Wipeout XL :psyduck:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Giggs posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, Stanza on Phantom with the Icarus is the worst. Clearing that one track on Phantom probably took longer than half the other tracks combined.

Don't remind me! (yet...)

Speaking of Phantom...

Great Joe posted:

I take it you're gonna hack your way into the Phantom class, then. :v: Is RollCage gonna get some coverage in Future Racing is Weird?

Nope, I pride myself on my ability to beat Phantom mode in everything but Fusion, so it's gonna be aaaaall natural! As to Rollcage, I've answered this before, but it bears repeating... Rollcage, sadly, doesn't really capitalise on its gimmick enough, so it doesn't make the cut.

Glazius posted:

I suppose those billboards are all holo-billboards? You were just crashing right through the middle sometimes.

99% of the billboards have no collision-boxes, mainly because it would annoy the hell out of players to do a sweet jump, then smack a billboard, but there are some rare billboards that actually do have hitboxes... Mostly in places you really shouldn't be going anyhoo, but I'm pretty sure they exist!

Carlioo posted:

Yeah, maybe it was because I was using a Feisar, but I definitely don't remember being able to jump that high and drive into the billboards in Wipeout XL :psyduck:

I can guarantee you that most of the shortcuts from Wipeout XL are do-able without Turbo from Rapier class onwards. In a FEISAR. :allears: It's great :allears:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

JamieTheD posted:

I can guarantee you that most of the shortcuts from Wipeout XL are do-able without Turbo from Rapier class onwards. In a FEISAR. :allears: It's great :allears:

:swoon: Guess I'm staying with Feisar if have another goon race!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, the lighting in the tunnels makes all the drat difference between versions with Phenitia. You can see those walls so clearly! :mad:

Also, holy crap is the speed level different. If you were going at those assegai speeds back during the xl goon race, I imagine you possibly could have goddamn lapped us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Rollcage, sadly, doesn't really capitalise on its gimmick enough, so it doesn't make the cut.

Well neither does anything else we do in FRIW. So i don't see how this is an excuse.

I mean, you are implying that Future Racer was worthy of attention, but a game from the ps1 that's still getting attention from one of the original developers isn't. :v:

• Locked thread