Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So I should just rest spam outside each shrine until I happen upon the correct day?

It's not like the game has a time limit, and food is a pretty trivial expense by the time you've travelled enough of the world to see all the shrines in the first place, so yeah, that's one way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Thuryl posted:

It's not like the game has a time limit, and food is a pretty trivial expense by the time you've travelled enough of the world to see all the shrines in the first place, so yeah, that's one way to do it.

Yeah this doesn't work. I just spent 80 food trying to rest in front of one, clicking after every rest, and nothing happened.

Is there a specific order you have to visit them in or something?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Yeah this doesn't work. I just spent 80 food trying to rest in front of one, clicking after every rest, and nothing happened.

Is there a specific order you have to visit them in or something?

If it was the Asha one in Navea Delta, you have to do that one last. The others can be done in any order.

Also, if you literally get the message "Nothing happens" it means you've already prayed at that shrine and are done with it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

alarumklok posted:

He's in a cage just north of Lord Kilburn in Yon-chall. Watch out for blackfang.

My party that just hit act 2 is way too weak to kill those blackfang guys damnit.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hryme posted:

Restarted my warrior run today. I found that my original party was lacking. I didn't excactly plan well when I made it. It was a standard one with two melee and two casters. Defender, barbarian, druid and freemage. It didn't seem like the two pure melees pulled their weight or maybe I just didn't build them right.

My new setup is Ranger/Scout/Shaman/Freemage

This makes for a much easier earlygame as I let everyone specialize in a different school of magic at the start. As weapons seems to be bad at the beginning. The ranger and scout went up to max (master) in earth and light respectively and got some points in spirit so they had mana to spend. They are my earlygame healers and endgame will be backup healers. Shaman pumped air for aoe damage and freemage took primeval and then fire (got to have protection against stuns and paralyze) for utility and some damage. Later will pick up earth and light on them. I find this setup to be very good as when I rest everyone gets useful mana back and the ranger and scout can actually be useful against high armor opponents at the beginning of the game.

I don't know if it will hold up in the later parts of the game though. At least I have all spell schools covered to expert for the wards and debuff removal.

Having finished warrior with bladedancer/runepriest/shaman/freemage, I'd recommend strongly against planning on using any non-GM'ed weapon or magic skills. If you want the freemage to deal damage, grandmaster air. Master fire won't even come close.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
The healer companion says on her mouseover text that she restores all health and mana once per day but she only restores health :(

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I think I must have goofed at some point. I went to act 2 with a barbarian/bladedancer/freemage/runepriest, and after clearing up some of the enemies on the plains around Seahaven and reaching level 14~15, I'm getting my rear end kicked almost wherever I go. When I don't get my rear end kicked, it's usually after an extended fight and quaffing a whole bunch of mana potions. I think I selected Adventurer difficulty, so I feel like I missed something along the way.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Daler Mehndi posted:

I think I must have goofed at some point. I went to act 2 with a barbarian/bladedancer/freemage/runepriest, and after clearing up some of the enemies on the plains around Seahaven and reaching level 14~15, I'm getting my rear end kicked almost wherever I go. When I don't get my rear end kicked, it's usually after an extended fight and quaffing a whole bunch of mana potions. I think I selected Adventurer difficulty, so I feel like I missed something along the way.
The next piece of progression for you is the lost city. It's in the forest (don't fight the black super assassin guys just yet).

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Daler Mehndi posted:

There seems to be a few areas around Seahaven that are meant for higher levels. I'm in a similar boat to you - I can kill Minotaurs and Manticores and such, but the dark wizards and blackfang guys are way too hard. If you find the lost city, it's a super easy dungeon in comparison to the stuff outside - full of Elite Brigands and other such act 1 level enemies.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The blackfang guys are probably one of the harder regular mobs you can fight even if you're at equal level parity with them. They do a lot of damage, drop a lot of conditions onto your party and hit back @ your melee characters.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

THE PWNER posted:

There seems to be a few areas around Seahaven that are meant for higher levels. I'm in a similar boat to you - I can kill Minotaurs and Manticores and such, but the dark wizards and blackfang guys are way too hard. If you find the lost city, it's a super easy dungeon in comparison to the stuff outside - full of Elite Brigands and other such act 1 level enemies.

The game seems big about giving you spots they expect you to backtrack to later on, so I want to note that there's at least two or three areas in the lost city where you will get completely poo poo on if you are not careful by undead way higher level than you.

Stanley Pain posted:

The blackfang guys are probably one of the harder regular mobs you can fight even if you're at equal level parity with them. They do a lot of damage, drop a lot of conditions onto your party and hit back @ your melee characters.

Feebleminded is a huge pain in the rear end to deal with if it hits your casters since they're the ones who remove status effects in the first place. You should probably have a fat stack of dispel magic scrolls at this point and use them liberally to clear that effect if it pops up. It'll purge your positive buffs too, but those were going to fall off in a couple of turns anyway and by then your entire team could be feebleminded. Feeble characters can't even cast from scrolls!

The difficulty I've been having is finding the place to go after you finish the lost city. I finally found it, but holy poo poo what an obtuse place to have to find! There seems to be two ways to get there, and neither is obvious - you can go through the elemental forge, which requires you to kill some high level undead and then a boss that can one shot your entire party with ice storm, which I somehow still managed to accomplish, or you can go through a forest where if you walk in the wrong direction at pretty much any point you run into enemies that can one shot your entire party at range. I didn't even find the forest path until I'd been loving around exploring the water accessible areas for three hours, scratching my head and trying to find this sewer entrance. As a plus, I'm now completely decked out in the half dozen or so Relic pieces I picked up along the way!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Is GM Shield even worth it on the Defender? Blocking ranged attacks on allies doesn't seem terribly useful, since I usually just cornerpull enemies. Now if it also blocked melee strikes at allies to generate more retaliation strikes for me, then we'd be talking :getin:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I get the feeling that the only thing that really matters on tank characters is consistently landing your taunts and the number of blocks you have, so if getting GM doesn't help you with either of those things I really doubt it's worth it. My Merc's shield skill is capped at Master and she is doing just fine without it in A3.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

Is GM Shield even worth it on the Defender? Blocking ranged attacks on allies doesn't seem terribly useful, since I usually just cornerpull enemies. Now if it also blocked melee strikes at allies to generate more retaliation strikes for me, then we'd be talking :getin:

I'm at the endgame, I don't have it and I'm not missing it. Axes (or Maces if you're going for a stun-abuse build), Warfare and Heavy Armour should probably all be higher priorities. The counterattack ability from Shield Mastery is fantastic, but the GM bonus seems pretty skippable by comparison.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Thuryl posted:

I'm at the endgame, I don't have it and I'm not missing it. Axes (or Maces if you're going for a stun-abuse build), Warfare and Heavy Armour should probably all be higher priorities. The counterattack ability from Shield Mastery is fantastic, but the GM bonus seems pretty skippable by comparison.

Yeah. While a lot of GM bonus are gamechangers (any spell school, Magical Focus, almost all weapons), some are really not well done at all (Mysticism/Endurance, Shield,Armors).

Mirthless posted:

The difficulty I've been having is finding the place to go after you finish the lost city. I finally found it, but holy poo poo what an obtuse place to have to find! There seems to be two ways to get there, and neither is obvious - you can go through the elemental forge, which requires you to kill some high level undead and then a boss that can one shot your entire party with ice storm, which I somehow still managed to accomplish, or you can go through a forest where if you walk in the wrong direction at pretty much any point you run into enemies that can one shot your entire party at range. I didn't even find the forest path until I'd been loving around exploring the water accessible areas for three hours, scratching my head and trying to find this sewer entrance. As a plus, I'm now completely decked out in the half dozen or so Relic pieces I picked up along the way!

It's actually not really the next place to go, at least if you go by levels of enemies and of weapons in shops.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 31, 2014

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Having finished warrior with bladedancer/runepriest/shaman/freemage, I'd recommend strongly against planning on using any non-GM'ed weapon or magic skills. If you want the freemage to deal damage, grandmaster air. Master fire won't even come close.

I am just taking enough fire to get expert. Not in it for longterm damage but for the Burning Determination buff.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 31, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I got so sick of the load times I stopped playing :(

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arkeus posted:

Yeah. While a lot of GM bonus are gamechangers (any spell school, Magical Focus, almost all weapons), some are really not well done at all (Mysticism/Endurance, Shield,Armors).

It's actually not really the next place to go, at least if you go by levels of enemies and of weapons in shops.

Where the hell am I supposed to be going, then? Crag? I noticed along the way to Karthal that the desolate wastes actually has enemies in my level range, which I wasn't expecting at all. But I've cleared everything else and my only story breadcrumb is to go to Karthal.

victrix posted:

I got so sick of the load times I stopped playing :(

They come up a lot less frequently past Act 1, and if you're past Act 1 is a 30 second loading screen every half an hour really that much of a game breaker? Are we really this spoiled?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 31, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mirthless posted:

You should probably have a fat stack of dispel magic scrolls at this point and use them liberally to clear that effect if it pops up. It'll purge your positive buffs too, but those were going to fall off in a couple of turns anyway and by then your entire team could be feebleminded.
Particularly since Black Wizards love their Purge spam.

It might also be worth it to check the shops in Sorpigal/Seahaven for items that grant 100% feeblemind protection and put them on your casters.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I got a 100% resist to feebleminded necklace that I threw on my runepriest which deals with that problem.

New problem is that I wish I had a freemage for purge.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Mirthless posted:

Where the hell am I supposed to be going, then? Crag? I noticed along the way to Karthal that the desolate wastes actually has enemies in my level range, which I wasn't expecting at all. But I've cleared everything else and my only story breadcrumb is to go to Karthal.

You have a quest from Jon Morgan at the end of ACT I to go there and meet the leader.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arkeus posted:

You have a quest from Jon Morgan at the end of ACT I to go there and meet the leader.

I also have a quest from Act I to find all the monoliths. That doesn't mean I'm supposed to do it right away! But I'll head there when I start playing again tonight. It's helpful, I assumed I wasn't going there until Act 4.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Mirthless posted:

I also have a quest from Act I to find all the monoliths. That doesn't mean I'm supposed to do it right away! But I'll head there when I start playing again tonight. It's helpful, I assumed I wasn't going there until Act 4.

Yeah, but this is the Main Quest giver. You got that one at the same time you got the letter for Killburn, after all.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
My Dagger blademaster got a dagger that damages every enemy in the square on a successful hit. Sure, it's only a little splash, but even this early, the character gets 4 attacks per round :shepface:

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Psykmoe posted:

I'm working towards it since it says it intercepts attacks on other characters. I like to think this will help keep my casters alive when my guardian's taunts aren't cutting it.

Also, question regarding the hireling that can spot secret doors. I went to where he was supposed to be but didn't find him. I THINK he attacked my party when he came along with the Black Guards, at least there was something giant and 'Fluffy' that we ended up having to kill. I don't miss him, I have spells to find secrets, but wondered if that happened to anyone else.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Psykmoe posted:

My Dagger blademaster got a dagger that damages every enemy in the square on a successful hit. Sure, it's only a little splash, but even this early, the character gets 4 attacks per round :shepface:

Those daggers are very common, but i prefer not to have them myself, as when i am in trouble i use the Sleep spell a lot, and this wakes them up.

Bob Loblaw posted:

Also, question regarding the hireling that can spot secret doors. I went to where he was supposed to be but didn't find him. I THINK he attacked my party when he came along with the Black Guards, at least there was something giant and 'Fluffy' that we ended up having to kill. I don't miss him, I have spells to find secrets, but wondered if that happened to anyone else.
Not the right place. The secret hireling is behind Killburn's place, not toward the Navea plateau.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Arkeus posted:

Those daggers are very common, but i prefer not to have them myself, as when i am in trouble i use the Sleep spell a lot, and this wakes them up.

Yeah, I can see that, but I've not even hit Seahaven yet so without access to Expert and up in Dark magic I can just go hog wild for the moment with my poison sprays and sparks and splash daggers when humanoids bunch up in front of me.

Bob Loblaw posted:

I'm working towards it since it says it intercepts attacks on other characters. I like to think this will help keep my casters alive when my guardian's taunts aren't cutting it.

It says it blocks "range strikes" against other characters, which I assumed were arrows and spears, and I really never found those threatening. Very rarely could I not position to force ranged enemies into melee.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Psykmoe posted:

I'm personally a fan of mana drain on one dagger for blademasters, since it lets you use Carnage nonstop. I also had life-steal on my other dagger but it was only to mitigate damage taken from retaliation mobs, and it wasn't even that good for that. One of the bosses also dropped a set of armor that gives +13 aoe prime damage for each piece, which I used to great effect with carnage. Also fantastic with Mandate of Heaven from Paladin.

I actually stopped using sleep once I got blademaster promotion because it ended up being faster to just murder everything at once.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
Should I be reloading if I kill a boss with three of my party members dead? That's a lot of wasted experience and it all went to my Defender who doesn't need it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

2 Track EP posted:

Should I be reloading if I kill a boss with three of my party members dead? That's a lot of wasted experience and it all went to my Defender who doesn't need it.

If you want. I just roll with it though. That experience is paltry in the grand scheme of things - My parties at level 18 right now and they're all within a few thousand exp of each other.

Later on you'll get a hireling who can resurrect your whole party mid battle once per day free which is pretty nice.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Trip report, about 40 hours in.

Dwarf Defender This guy was pretty much overkill when it came to tanking. About halfway through the game I was wishing I could trade about 20% of his defense for 20% more offense. At the end of the game I was wishing for a 50% swap. Sure, he can solo a ton of mobs and boss monsters (as long as they don't cast spells), but so what? Killing things with the rest of the party dead means you lose out on a lot of exp and you should consider a reload. I guess maybe you could use him to rush some content though. For my next playthrough I'm going to tank with a 2handed spear user or Crusader with GM Light magic I think.

Barbarian I went GM 2hander and GM Mace and Master endurance. A lot of people go spear on him, but since he wasn't tanking and was there for DPS, I was glad I picked mace. The stun procs pretty often. I think he was sitting on almost 25% crit chance at the end of the game. Blowing through blocks with GM 2hander was an excellent addition to his dps. As far as defense goes, having master endurance and expert light armor was really all he needed. He was sitting on a crapload of HP at the end. A very solid choice.

Druid I had him GM Earth and Water, with a master in light. Getting the earth school skilled up as fast as possible was great. My main mistake was giving him both earth and light though. Two different heal trees is a waste. It's way better to have a caster with 1 dps tree and 1 heal tree, not 2 of both.

Freemage GM in Dark and Primordial, expert in Fire, and master in Air. Dark is amazing because of sleep. That sleep spell is incredibly overpowered. Skilling up dark above the sleep spell level might have been a mistake though. Also, my main mistake was giving him 2 dps trees and no heal tree. I should have moved light to this guy and maybe put the primordial on the druid or just capped it at master.

What I would do differently is maybe only give each caster 2 GM trees and maybe just expert on a 3rd. Trying to GM 3 trees is too hard. Also I would ditch the defender and go with something else.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've got 1 dps and 1 heal tree on my runepriest but I don't really like it that much, mostly because he hardly ever actually heals and if enemies are resistant to fire he sucks rear end. Not like Runepriests really have a second option for a damage tree though.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

THE PWNER posted:

I've got 1 dps and 1 heal tree on my runepriest but I don't really like it that much, mostly because he hardly ever actually heals and if enemies are resistant to fire he sucks rear end. Not like Runepriests really have a second option for a damage tree though.

Yeah this is a problem for a lot of casters. What I found sort of helps is to pick the right compliment of schools to have. For example, light and dark on the same guy is nice because there really isn't any mob that is immune to both. Same with fire and water.

I noticed that a lot of mobs have both dark and fire resist on them. Or both water and air. Very few were immune to primordial.

Worse case scenario is that the mob is immune to all your nukes so you just spend the battle healing/buffing, while the other party mage does the offense.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
High level Dark has some spell that makes enemies take extra damage from physical attacks (Agony?) I wonder if that works well with a blademaster or some other dual wielder making GBS threads out attacks like mad. Sword and Board Mercenary can also trigger quite a few bonus attacks.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Agony and Mandate of Heaven off of paladin bump damage up like mad on anyone who does more than 1 attack. I really don't even know if there's a reason to have both in the same party, one plus a dagger blademaster is already such insane levels of damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Psykmoe posted:

High level Dark has some spell that makes enemies take extra damage from physical attacks (Agony?) I wonder if that works well with a blademaster or some other dual wielder making GBS threads out attacks like mad. Sword and Board Mercenary can also trigger quite a few bonus attacks.

Agony is okay but it's not really worth the points. I was trying to maximize on-hit gimmicks(Crusader's light damage ability, Agony, Dagger Blademaster) and while it was fun to see a shower of numbers pop up when the blademaster attacked I'm not convinced it was more useful or more overall damage than just having GM Air instead. The other high level Dark spells are just pitiful. Terror is almost worthless because Sleep exists and the final debuff is really not impressive for a GM spell.

It's the only school of magic that I don't see any merit for maxing out at all, since the best spells are at Expert and don't scale(Purge, Sleep).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The game really needs a skill reset. Unless you have played before, it is pretty much impossible to know how to build your character properly.

At this point, I don't think I have the ability to generate a high DPS spellcaster because of early choices. My freemage has the points put in for GM dark and primordial, master fire and expert foci. I don't think I will have enough to pump Air which it turns out is the one I need. Ugh.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

The game really needs a skill reset. Unless you have played before, it is pretty much impossible to know how to build your character properly.

At this point, I don't think I have the ability to generate a high DPS spellcaster because of early choices. My freemage has the points put in for GM dark and primordial, master fire and expert foci. I don't think I will have enough to pump Air which it turns out is the one I need. Ugh.

To untick the 'hide unlearned spell' is pretty much a must as it tells you very early one what your character can go toward, yes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arkeus posted:

To untick the 'hide unlearned spell' is pretty much a must as it tells you very early one what your character can go toward, yes.

That hasn't been a problem. The problem is there is nothing in game that lets you know that Air and Fire are the two best schools at end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

That hasn't been a problem. The problem is there is nothing in game that lets you know that Air and Fire are the two best schools at end game.

They aren't- Earth and Water are definitely as good. Prime never gets resisted (seriouly, play a Air mage, you'll despair over the resists), and Dark i have not yet grandmastered but i think i'll love it.

• Locked thread