Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Damo posted:

Looks like 24 has been pulled from Netflix. Boo.

This is why I was happy to pay $15 here and there for various season box sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Roughly 15 episodes through season 8. So far aside from 6, this has been the hardest one to marathon. Lots of the same old stuff rehashed. I'm fairly bored but looking forward to Jack's rampage, a definite highlight. These re-watches have shown me that I'm a sucker for the early seasons and that fans are truly justified in hating 6. The only one I haven't watched again is 4.

Also am I missing any CTU attacks?

Season 2 - C4 charges
Season 5 - nerve gas
Season 8 - EMP

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I think there was an attack in season 6 too?

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

tofes posted:

Oh yeah, something with the Chinese infiltrating. My memory is lovely, I just saw that a week or two ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tofes posted:

How could you forget Milo's death and the chinese invasion?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Yeah, season 6 Cheng Zhi sent a strike force through the sewers into CTU to abduct Josh Bauer so Phillip (Babe farmer man) (James Cromwell) would fix the russian circuit board for them. Asian strike team leader shot Milo in the loving face then got the poo poo choked outta him by none other than Jack Bauer. Josh survived.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

How could you forget Milo's death and the chinese invasion?

I try to forget season 6

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Well Renee just died and Jack's angry...

...so Logan just used his voodoo politics magic to convince President Taylor to lock down Jack. This way he can't interrogate Dana Walsh/Jenny Scott/The Tall Blonde and uncover the Russian conspiracy, or something. He just stole a helicopter and went rogue. At episode 18, the season starts picking up. That's gotta count for something.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Milo getting shot in the face was one of best parts of Season 6.

I remembered watching it in college and then walking into the next room to announce to my friends (who weren't watching the show) how awesome it was.

Oliver Reed posted:

Well Renee just died and Jack's angry...

...so Logan just used his voodoo politics magic to convince President Taylor to lock down Jack. This way he can't interrogate Dana Walsh/Jenny Scott/The Tall Blonde and uncover the Russian conspiracy, or something. He just stole a helicopter and went rogue. At episode 18, the season starts picking up. That's gotta count for something.
You're in for a loving treat.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Geekkake posted:

I dunno, man. I came into 24 fresh a couple months ago, knowing only that it was some insane trainwreck TV and maybe pro-torture?, and the cougar scenes stood out pretty strongly to me, despite having never heard of them before. I mean, it's just... Girl being maybe stalked by a mountain lion in the woods for no reason? And then... and then oh hey it's back, just sort of standing around looking at its handler waving a steak off-screen, and then Kim gets caught in a snare trap that literally no other wildlife had been dumb enough to be caught in. And then Discount Matt Dillon showed up and was like, "oh, I see you are stuck in this snare trap. Here, you see? You just sort of pull it apart" and Kim was just baffled.

I hope you don't know this already, because the phrase "Discount Actor Name" generally refers to an actor looking really close to the original but not actually being them, but that was actually Matt Dillon. I found that so baffling when I saw his name in the credits upon re-watch.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Apoplexy posted:

I hope you don't know this already, because the phrase "Discount Actor Name" generally refers to an actor looking really close to the original but not actually being them, but that was actually Matt Dillon. I found that so baffling when I saw his name in the credits upon re-watch.

Sorry to burst both your bubbles, but it's actually Kevin Dillon, Matt's brother ;).

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Season 8 episodes 20ish through 23 have been great. If the rest of the season was of this quality it might be my favorite. Jack going rogue is the best part of the show.

Charles Logan is probably the series' best villain. I love the way he manipulates President Taylor. And equally hate the way she's stupid enough to fall for it again and again and AGAIN.

Also, here's an easter egg I caught, Chloe's email address: chloeobrian9@gmail.com - send her some love.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I haven't watched day seven since it originally aired. Rewatching now, I don't remember it being this good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Why is Chloe Robert Smith in the new season?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ricky Shroder getting a face full of explosion made me and my friend laugh so hard that we were actually reported in our dorm for a "noise violation"

That explosion is the perfect metaphor for 24's only truly awful year.

And yeah, season 8 is a really odd bag. The first half of the season is deadly dull, but it picks up momentum and it loving roars across the finish line.

Still hated how cliched Renee's death was handled, but I do admit that it gave a certain charge to the remaining episodes.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Oliver Reed posted:

Roughly 15 episodes through season 8. So far aside from 6, this has been the hardest one to marathon. Lots of the same old stuff rehashed. I'm fairly bored but looking forward to Jack's rampage, a definite highlight. These re-watches have shown me that I'm a sucker for the early seasons and that fans are truly justified in hating 6. The only one I haven't watched again is 4.

Also am I missing any CTU attacks?

Season 2 - C4 charges
Season 5 - nerve gas
Season 8 - EMP

Technically speaking any time there was a mole in CTU that would qualify as an attack:

Season 1. Nina
Season 4. Aisha Tyler, Agent who "kills" Jack.
Season 8. That Girl

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 7, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Milo is the goddamn worst character

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Weren't there two moles in Season 1?
I think it was one in the first half (some woman I don't remember) and then Nina in the 2nd half

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Weren't there two moles in Season 1?
I think it was one in the first half (some woman I don't remember) and then Nina in the 2nd half

Can't remember if she was framed by Nina or working with her but yeah, some woman named Jamey Farrell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If I remember correctly she was working for Nina, who eventually killed her to keep her quiet

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I remember correctly she was working for Nina, who eventually killed her to keep her quiet
They were unaware of eachother being moles.

Jamey worked for Ira Gaines. And tried to frame Nina.

Nina was helping Drazen, and killed Jamey before she could tell Jack what she knew. Gaines didn't know about Nina.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Jamey was only working for Gaines because they had her daughter or something, so she was a more sympathetic mole.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Basebf555 posted:

I think Jamey was only working for Gaines because they had her daughter or something, so she was a more sympathetic mole.

Nah, Jamey was definitely getting paid, but I think her son had medical bills or something.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I finished season 8. Last bunch of episodes were great. A really nice end to the series. Justice was served across the board. Charles Logan went out with a bang.

Now I've re-watched everything but seasons 1 and 4. I'm going in a very random order...yeah.

I can't really remember season 4 quality-wise. I think it stands somewhere between 'good' and 'decent'. Anyone have favorite moments/storylines from that season?

Rankings based on re-watches:

Season 2 (basically solid throughout)
Season 5 (if it wasn't for George Mason in season 2, I'd toss this above it)
Season 3 (stuff in Mexico drags)
Season 7 (more consistent than 8 throughout, but utterly retarded in places)
Season 8 (5 or 6 solid episodes don't make up for the 18+ before it)
Season 6 (starts off with a bang and descends into really contrived madness that feels artificial and stale)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Oliver Reed posted:

I can't really remember season 4 quality-wise. I think it stands somewhere between 'good' and 'decent'. Anyone have favorite moments/storylines from that season?

Somewhere between "good" and "decent" sums it up well. It has a great opening 5 episode arc. I love Jack "robbing" the convenience store. It's Tony's strongest season- I love the camaraderie between him and Jack. Heller and Audrey are great additions. Marwan remains one of Jack's smartest adversaries- although he had way one many back up plans/everything had to go right in order for it to work.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 8, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The first five episodes of season 4 are definitely up there with the best of 24 and serve as a great introduction to Secretary Heller.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
New behind-the-scenes featuring Chloe: http://www.eonline.com/news/529098/whoa-check-out-gothed-out-chloe-in-this-amazing-24-live-another-day-video

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

23 minutes of behind the scenes footage. Light spoilers for the first few episodes, I reckon.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/618888

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Live Another Day's Season Pass is available now on iTunes for those without cable (like me).

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Working through season 4. I have to say that all the Jack/Heller action is top notch. Edgar is so loveable. Marwan makes for an intimidating bad guy: even his henchmen do a good job of describing his ruthless intolerance for error or failure.

I was trying to think of which villain, overall, was most successful in achieving their goals. I think it has to be Fayed for the first place spot, but who would be second?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its more fun to think about which villain did the shittiest job in achieving their goals, because its a tight race. I'd go with Philip Bauer myself. All of his plans to "preserve his legacy" seemed to include horrific acts that would do nothing but ruin a persons legacy.

And I don't think you can say Fayed was really successful because he was a pawn for Russians the whole time right? He does get probably the best death of any of the villains though.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I immediately thought Fayed cause of the whole nuke going off in LA but to be honest I can't remember anything else about him or his goals. I know he wanted revenge on Jack, that's about it. Not sure about his other motivations and I just re-watched the drat thing.

Philip Bauer was terrible. I don't think the Drazens actually got anywhere...Palmer survived, Jack got his family back (well, from them, anyway), etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did Saunders do anything besides killing a few people in that hotel?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did Saunders do anything besides killing a few people in that hotel?

I think the standard we have to go by is "Did their actions even make any goddamn sense in the context of their stated goals?" Because I don't think there's a single villain that ever actually pulled off anything major(in the 24 universe) aside from the nuke. Even the nuke was intended to be detonated in the middle of L.A., instead CTU tracked them down and they were forced to detonate it before they got caught. I guess the closest was General Juma, but Buchanan and Jack stopped him from really achieving anything, unless you count taking control of the White House an achievement in itself(I guess you have to).

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Mandy is still alive, free, and well. Maybe she's not really a villain though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ravel posted:

Mandy is still alive, free, and well. Maybe she's not really a villain though.

No I think she's probably the most successful villain, you're right. She walked right up to Palmer, came very close to killing him and got away scot free. She also worked with the typical 24 middleman villain(Gaines) and outlived him. Her goals have also always been very clear: lots of money.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Mandy is a good answer. She definitely seems to have a ton of resources and enough smarts to pull off big schemes while staying out of the spotlight.

Peter Kingsley failed but he came very close to sending the US to war. It was such a large plot for a simple goal (money) but it was really just Jack (and Sherry) who thwarted him at the last second. So half-credit for him maybe?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oliver Reed posted:

Mandy is a good answer. She definitely seems to have a ton of resources and enough smarts to pull off big schemes while staying out of the spotlight.

Peter Kingsley failed but he came very close to sending the US to war. It was such a large plot for a simple goal (money) but it was really just Jack (and Sherry) who thwarted him at the last second. So half-credit for him maybe?

He loses all credit for actually showing up to the meeting based on a lie Sherry told him. I thought the way he acted in that last episode was stupid as hell for a guy who was the puppet-master behind the recording, which as you said was a pretty solid plan that was working as intended.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I do agree that he showed remarkably stupid judgement there. For gently caress's sake, Sherry didn't prove that the hacker was with her, let alone ALIVE. It seemed like the type of obvious set-up he should know to avoid.

Regarding season 8, someone may need to refresh my failing memory but wasn't the whole thing basically the Russian president trying to nullify the peace treaty? 'Cause if so he killed Hassan and the treaty was never signed. Logan and the guys under him got screwed...still, maybe he got away clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Oliver Reed posted:

Working through season 4. I have to say that all the Jack/Heller action is top notch. Edgar is so loveable. Marwan makes for an intimidating bad guy: even his henchmen do a good job of describing his ruthless intolerance for error or failure.

I was trying to think of which villain, overall, was most successful in achieving their goals. I think it has to be Fayed for the first place spot, but who would be second?

I'm going to go with Marwan. He's not my favourite villain, but he has the sole distinction of being the only villain who died thinking he "won".

• Locked thread