Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wade Wilson posted:

Well, let's be honest, a "realistic" Alien from the game universe would murder every person that plays the game within seconds if it's hungry. Plot Armor is the only thing that ever protects anyone in the movies.

Not really, the Alien in the first film doesn't really seek anyone out save for Parker and Lambert. Brett wakes it up while it's sleeping an Dallas gets stuck in it's lair and ambushes him. The Alien in the first film is described as strong (lifting Brett), large and it shows it's limber the way it curls up and hangs itself in the cargo bay Brett gets taken in. It's never described or seen as fast, poo poo the only times it moves it's terribly slow and prefers to get the sneak on people (it hides in the shadows before killing Parker and Lambert) and slowly approaches. Even when Ripley wakes it in the escape pod it takes it's time to even get to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I suppose that's the thing really. It moved slow in Alien because it was a guy in a suit but it was still scary. If it teleports but doesn't break immersion too much and it is scary is it any worse than the limitations of a rubber suit?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

Not really, the Alien in the first film doesn't really seek anyone out save for Parker and Lambert. Brett wakes it up while it's sleeping an Dallas gets stuck in it's lair and ambushes him. The Alien in the first film is described as strong (lifting Brett), large and it shows it's limber the way it curls up and hangs itself in the cargo bay Brett gets taken in. It's never described or seen as fast, poo poo the only times it moves it's terribly slow and prefers to get the sneak on people (it hides in the shadows before killing Parker and Lambert) and slowly approaches. Even when Ripley wakes it in the escape pod it takes it's time to even get to her.
To be fair when Lambert is tracking it on the motion tracker when Dallas is in the vents, it's moving pretty quick and closing on Dallas.

And the original idea behind the Alien's lethargy at the end of the movie was that it was dying of old age. Granted that idea has since been retconned out, but that was their thinking when making the movie.

Speaking of movie stuff, I wonder if the deleted Brett/Dallas egg-morphing stuff will show up in the DLC where you play as Ripley (or if the concept will show up in the main game, for that matter).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I suppose that's the thing really. It moved slow in Alien because it was a guy in a suit but it was still scary. If it teleports but doesn't break immersion too much and it is scary is it any worse than the limitations of a rubber suit?
The whole purpose of this discussion was that people who played the demo felt like the Alien teleports within small levels and appears in places where it shouldn't be (and not in a crawled-through-vents kind of way). I hope they fix this for the full release or something but I have no idea where you guys are going with your posts, the whole point is that the teleporting is obvious and breaks immersion.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt there

Precious. :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Only insofar that I won't prejudge how an AI system works in a game that isn't finished.

I still think it'll be terrible.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Palpek posted:

The whole purpose of this discussion was that people who played the demo felt like the Alien teleports within small levels and appears in places where it shouldn't be (and not in a crawled-through-vents kind of way). I hope they fix this for the full release or something but I have no idea where you guys are going with your posts, the whole point is that the teleporting is obvious and breaks immersion.

Someone who is playing gameplay demos at an expo, whether they're paid to be there or not is going to be able see flaws and problems much more easily than a regular consumer will be with the finished product. If a film enthusiast in '79 had watched the daily rushes of Alien they'd probably have found it to be way less scary and probably incoherent.

Hence my point, in abstract things like rubber suits or teleporting can be bad but in the finish product they may not be.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Exactly, it'll depend on how well the game disguises those "cheats".

Also worth mentioning that at the recent Gamescom expo (I think?) the lead developer pointed out that if the demos at E3 and SDCC seemed unfair and that the Alien was too hard, it's because it was - they had their demos cranked up to the highest difficulty specifically to get players killed. :gibs:

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

It is a bit worrisome if the Alien teleports around. Didn't they announce this game claiming the alien was going to have really amazing AI and it would realistically stalk and surprise you?

lol if the alien was supposed to be true to the films they wouldn't have made it behave like it has eyes. looks so dumb having people hide under tables a few feet from the thing and be safe because the alien can't 'see' them

the aliens in the movies always knew where people were, thats what made it so tense. the one in this game just wanders around looking for people, its goofy

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Palpek posted:

Maybe the reveal will be that there's more than one alien on the ship?

I'm probably giving them too much credit, but that's such an obvious trick to scare the poo poo out of the player once they think they're safe that I couldn't see them not wanting to use it. It'd also neatly handle the whole teleporting issue. You're not dealing with one teleporting alien, you're dealing with a hive herding you to your inevitable doom! :science:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Archonex posted:

Maybe the reveal will be that there's more than one alien on the ship? It would explain the teleporting at least.

I'm probably giving them too much credit, but that's such an obvious trick to scare the poo poo out of the player once they think they're safe that I couldn't see them not wanting to use it.

Maybe it will pull a reverse Predator: Concrete Jungle and halfway through the game a Predator will come onto the ship.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

blackguy32 posted:

Maybe it will pull a reverse Predator: Concrete Jungle and halfway through the game a Predator will come onto the ship.

It won't happen, but it would be utterly loving hilarious if only for the reactions it'd get out of people playing through the game blind.

I mean, can you imagine it? You've just lost the alien for what seems like the last time when you see that red targeting reticle appear on the far wall of the room you're in, following by that mildly disturbing clicking sound they make.

Cue the hunt. You can't see it as it looks for you, and unlike in the AvP games there's no pulse rifle around to make it fending it off easy. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 28, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
But if you're unarmed it won't kill you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, that'll be the beauty of it - the Predator isn't directly hunting you, he's using you as bait. No sport in letting you hide and stopping the alien from coming out!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Ah, that'll be the beauty of it - the Predator isn't directly hunting you, he's using you as bait. No sport in letting you hide and stopping the alien from coming out!

Every time you "die" when it catches you, it knocks you out and deposits you near an alien hive to lure them out. Bet that mechanic wouldn't get annoying fast. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Whoever wins, you lose. :getin:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Someone who is playing gameplay demos at an expo, whether they're paid to be there or not is going to be able see flaws and problems much more easily than a regular consumer will be with the finished product. If a film enthusiast in '79 had watched the daily rushes of Alien they'd probably have found it to be way less scary and probably incoherent.

Hence my point, in abstract things like rubber suits or teleporting can be bad but in the finish product they may not be.
Yes let's keep talking about an imagined thing instead of what the devs are actually showing to people as a representation of their product. People playing had to be overanalyzing, were wrong, blind or something something. The final release will have all the things that don't suck instead of those that do. It's Colonial Marines all over again.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 28, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Comparing daily rushes to a video game demo showcases an ignorance of how both films and video games are created.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Organs posted:

lol if the alien was supposed to be true to the films they wouldn't have made it behave like it has eyes. looks so dumb having people hide under tables a few feet from the thing and be safe because the alien can't 'see' them
Worth pointing out that the Alien does have eyes, just not in the conventional sense. It can definitely see in the visible light spectrum, we see things from its POV in Alien3.

That's arguably not its only way of sensing the environment, of course.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Palpek posted:

Yes let's keep talking about an imagined thing instead of what the devs are actually showing to people as a representation of their product. People playing had to be overanalyzing, were wrong, blind or something something. The final release will have all the things that don't suck instead of those that do. It's Colonial Marines all over again.

A couple of pages ago you were talking about how great Isolation would've been if it was more like the pre-order DLC. Apparently you have a monopoly on discussing hypotheticals.

I know you want to circle jerk about how this game is definitely going to be terrible but saying teleporting might end up not being the worst thing in the world is not akin to predicting this will be GOTYAY and demanding people buy it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair when Lambert is tracking it on the motion tracker when Dallas is in the vents, it's moving pretty quick and closing on Dallas.

I don't remember, but they never say it's moving quickly, only that it's moving and the motion tracker doesn't give us any sense of scale or measurement of how fast the blips are going.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't remember, but they never say it's moving quickly, only that it's moving and the motion tracker doesn't give us any sense of scale or measurement of how fast the blips are going.
We see how fast Dallas is moving and we see how fast his blip moves as he does, and then we see the Alien's blip moving at like triple the speed. That's a pretty good indication that it was moving pretty quick.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Worth pointing out that the Alien does have eyes, just not in the conventional sense. It can definitely see in the visible light spectrum, we see things from its POV in Alien3.

That's arguably not its only way of sensing the environment, of course.

urgh i forgot about that. the dumb thing is when i watched that i didn't interpret it as being how the alien sees but more just an attempt at conveying how fast it was moving around the environment because the thing literally does not have any eyes at all (which is a good thing imo because it makes it more alien) but yeah in retrospect thats probably meant to actually convey how it sees the world, its dumb as hell but theres no point arguing against something in the freakin film so yeah i might as well concede to being wrong there

i really like alien3 as well but gently caress fincher for that dumb fisheye lens chase stuff

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I almost forget how dumb that is because of all the other dumb things in the film that aren't really Fincher's fault but the fault of the twenty scrips the movie went through (and holy poo poo were some of those awful).

The alien always looks like CGI in the film but it's actually a rod puppet.

The alien in Alien actually has a human skull inside its head but you can't ever really see it. I think one of the toys shows it well.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I almost forget how dumb that is because of all the other dumb things in the film that aren't really Fincher's fault but the fault of the twenty scrips the movie went through (and holy poo poo were some of those awful).

The alien always looks like CGI in the film but it's actually a rod puppet.

The alien in Alien actually has a human skull inside its head but you can't ever really see it. I think one of the toys shows it well.

This Xeno is based on that original concept too. There are pics with light shining through its semi-transparent dome and you can see the skull underneath. It's in some of the game's vids too, when it gets close enough to murder you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

We see how fast Dallas is moving and we see how fast his blip moves as he does, and then we see the Alien's blip moving at like triple the speed. That's a pretty good indication that it was moving pretty quick.

Dallas is moving at a snails pace as he lugs a flamethrower and bulky as poo poo flashlight with him, so the Alien going "three times as fast" doesn't mean it's quick.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Archonex posted:

Maybe the reveal will be that there's more than one alien on the ship?

I'm probably giving them too much credit, but that's such an obvious trick to scare the poo poo out of the player once they think they're safe that I couldn't see them not wanting to use it. It'd also neatly handle the whole teleporting issue. You're not dealing with one teleporting alien, you're dealing with a hive herding you to your inevitable doom! :science:

Having more than one alien (an unspecified amount) would solve a lot of issues, not really sure why they insist on a single one.

Not only could they easily work around the "teleporting" issue with more than one alien, they could also add some much needed variety to the gameplay (not so much "gun down hordes of aliens", but different aliens pose different threats).

:iiam:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I guess they wanted to stick with the original movie as much as possible and felt that a single, but powerful Alien would be scarier.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

Dallas is moving at a snails pace as he lugs a flamethrower and bulky as poo poo flashlight with him, so the Alien going "three times as fast" doesn't mean it's quick.
I always interpreted the scene as showing the Alien going pretty quick, but to each their own I guess.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Yeah, pretty much every toy of the original 'Alien' creature has given a nod to the skull, dating back to the original 1979 toy that ended up getting pulled from store shelves.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Having more than one alien (an unspecified amount) would solve a lot of issues, not really sure why they insist on a single one.

Not only could they easily work around the "teleporting" issue with more than one alien, they could also add some much needed variety to the gameplay (not so much "gun down hordes of aliens", but different aliens pose different threats).

:iiam:

Unless there's a twist it seems unlikely they're going to do it, but they should just take a page out of Outlast's book and have ever escalating and more disturbing things trying to kill the character.

So you start off escaping an alien, then a predator comes in to muck things up after you realize that whoops, there's more than one alien and they haven't been teleporting at all. Then whoops again, you gently caress up when you lose the predator in a hive and it gets facehugged. Then you get a predalien after a bit of time being chased by a normal one again (Or androids since apparently they have to be enemies.) to get you complacent and for maximum "Oh my loving christ. :gonk:" pants making GBS threads potential.

Just have poo poo go progressively downhill the longer you're stalked by the aliens. You think being stalked by one alien is bad? Try having a hive of them after you for impregnation. Think that's bad? Now there's a psychotic alien super-hunter rolling around the station collecting skulls and treating it like it's his own personal safari. Think you're relatively in the clear now that that rear end in a top hat is dead and you're just being chased by normal aliens? Surprise motherfucker! Here comes the predalien!

Plus they could have some neat mechanics there that would differentiate it from Outlast. Each enemy could essentially be their own faction. Predators and predaliens could kill generic aliens as a mechanic to lose the enemy or escape from them. Imagine being chased by one and having to find some way to provoke a fight between the two so you didn't get impaled/facehugged/decapitated/whatever. That could be pretty tense.

Of course none of that's going to happen since they're firmly set on doing an interquel between the first two movies.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 31, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Organs posted:

I can't believe people still fall for that line. It's a great 'get out of jail free' card whenever people start noticing a bunch of problems with a game before launch, but it never ever changes when the game in question is released

Sometimes the final product is even worse e.g. Watch Dogs and Dark Souls 2

Aliens: Colonial Marines comes to mind .....!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aliens: Colonial Marines is the difference between "it's a alpha/beta/promo" and an outright lie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Archonex posted:

Raw rear end

Unless you're being sarcastic, that red text kinda fits.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Unless you're being sarcastic, that red text kinda fits.

It's no worse than the AvP movie series. And none of that stuff contradicts anything the previous games have shown. Hell, the second AvP game had scenes just like that, where you had to survive while being stalked by an enemy. It was just done with more primitive development capabilities.

There's a proven track record that standalone Alien games tend to do lovely for some reason. It may just be developer incompetence or it may just be too much of a desire to focus on showing the "untold story" of the movies, but it seems like the AvP series does much better due to the wider range of things it can include. No reason not to go crazy with the survival horror concept if you're going down that route.

Edit: Honestly, I think part of the problem with making an Alien game is the fans too. I remember when the last AvP game came out. Some people on these forums said it was the worst poo poo they'd ever played. Then Colonial Marines came out, and suddenly people were talking about that game like it was something good. That's bordering dangerously close to No Mutants Allowed levels of nostalgia.

Granted, Colonial Marines is pretty lovely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few people trying to say it's decent the next time an affiliated game comes out in the same genre.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 31, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'I'm being stalked by something that can gently caress me up' tension and 'I'm being overwhelmed by swarms of zombies' tension are two very different things. You can't simultaneously have both, which is why AVP2 always had the aliens show up in swarms and had the predators few and far between. The moment you kill an alien then the second alien stops being scary.

What everyone really wants is a game that's Left 4 Dead meets Space Hulk. You play as a team (or two) of Marines sent to recover a Mcguffin from a space ship/station/colony. Like L4D and Payday you have a series of single maps and multi-map campaigns with minor variants, but the main distinction is that you don't know if the AI director is going to throw swarms of aliens at you, have a very few aliens that grab people from vents and insta-kill them if you don't react instantly, or a single predator stalking you constantly and waiting for you to gently caress up and leave someone vulnerable.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Alchenar posted:

What everyone really wants is a game that's Left 4 Dead meets Space Hulk. You play as a team (or two) of Marines sent to recover a Mcguffin from a space ship/station/colony. Like L4D and Payday you have a series of single maps and multi-map campaigns with minor variants, but the main distinction is that you don't know if the AI director is going to throw swarms of aliens at you, have a very few aliens that grab people from vents and insta-kill them if you don't react instantly, or a single predator stalking you constantly and waiting for you to gently caress up and leave someone vulnerable.

sounds crap. wheres the human and robot enemies? nobody wants to fight aliens. how can you have awesome scripted scenes and quick time fistfights with the queen if the levels are so open to variation and replayability?? and lol @ making an alien game with no callbacks to the movies. at least resurrect hudson or something haha that guys crazy :D

coming to consoles holiday 2015 ALIENSSSS. game over man? i don't think so!! preorder now for bonus skynet dlc

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Organs posted:

ALIENSSSS ALIENZ

Fixed that for you. It wasn't extreme enough.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Archonex posted:

Granted, Colonial Marines is pretty lovely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few people trying to say it's decent the next time an affiliated game comes out in the same genre.

This already happened, and the new game isn't even out yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Archonex posted:

I'd like to take this moment to say this before the next one comes out then. I actually kinda liked playing through colonial marines as a dumb shooter. Granted, it only cost me £3, but co-op is pretty fun.

Still pissed about that holdout thing from the demo never ended up happening though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

dogstile posted:

I'd like to take this moment to say this before the next one comes out then. I actually kinda liked playing through colonial marines as a dumb shooter. Granted, it only cost me £3, but co-op is pretty fun.

Still pissed about that holdout thing from the demo never ended up happening though.

I think it nailed the look, art, and visual style of Aliens perfectly. No other Alien game has come as close to replicating the film(s). The only caveat to that is the stupid as gently caress iron sights addition to the pulse rifle. God drat that was dumb, this isn't CoD for fucks sake. I'm surprised one wasn't slapped on the smart gun as well, probably because you didn't use it for more than 5 minutes in a playthrough.

• Locked thread