Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
linux doesn't have an ide, linux is an ide. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ide buy that for a dollar

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Using a jetbrains ide almost made me quit programming

intellij idea is the best thing that's ever happened to java

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Using a jetbrains ide almost made me quit programming

which ide and why?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Breakfast All Day posted:

ide buy that for a dollar

lol. linux is free. ideot lolz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was hoping this thread was about VRAM

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

cool bump

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

Reminder that this guy locks his prostitutes up in a dog kennel which he keeps in his squalid back yard, and I guess now he spends his days relentlessly trolling threads about text editors.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

black pete posted:

Reminder that this guy locks his prostitutes up in a dog kennel which he keeps in his squalid back yard, and I guess now he spends his days relentlessly trolling threads about text editors.

reminder that go back to reddit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

black pete posted:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

black pete posted:

i guess soon we should prepare for black man 6 huh

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

also vim is the greatest text editor ever made..... its gods own text editor

like tbh it is confusing as gently caress to begin with, yes, but as soon as you have it down you realize how much more efficient it is

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

du -hast posted:

also vim is the greatest text editor ever made..... its gods own text editor

like tbh it is confusing as gently caress to begin with, yes, but as soon as you have it down you realize how much more efficient it is

how does this efficiency stack up all the time you apparently have to spend evangelising a loving text editor

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

ahmeni posted:

how does this efficiency stack up all the time you apparently have to spend evangelising a loving text editor

the efficiency of said text editor allows me extra time to spatter my shitposts all over this subforum

eat poo poo sublimailures

also gently caress emacs

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

du -hast posted:

also gently caress emacs

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

emacs: bad & dumb :can:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

cthulhoo posted:

emacs: bad & dumb :can:

emacs: we added new features but had to cut out a little more functionality... but look, the % automatically updates when u delete an entry... see? now there's only 3 and it's 25%!!!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

du -hast posted:

emacs: we added new features but had to cut out a little more functionality... but look, the % automatically updates when u delete an entry... see? now there's only 3 and it's 25%!!!

i explained what happened already lrn2read fam

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

horse mans posted:

i explained what happened already lrn2read fam

ya i remember how u explained that, it was v fancy, totally something that emacs is great for

yes, our lord Richard M. Stallman uses emacs... then agani, that also explains some things

:can:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i would like org-mode but in vim, something which transliterates vim stuff to org-mode
e
this will never exist

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Share Bear posted:

i would like org-mode but in vim, something which transliterates vim stuff to org-mode
e
this will never exist

evil-mode and evil-org-mode?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

du -hast posted:

ya i remember how u explained that, it was v fancy, totally something that emacs is great for

yes, our lord Richard M. Stallman uses emacs... then agani, that also explains some things

:can:

he uses it.... but he also writes bad code for it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the new episode of symbolic butt (re)learning vim is here:

* - search word under the cursor. and you don't even need to specify "inside the word" or some bullshit like that

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

* - search word under the cursor. and you don't even need to specify "inside the word" or some bullshit like that

that is one of my favorites. also n for "find the thing i just searched for again". % is also good for jumping you between opening and closing braces

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't forget N for n but backwards!

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Symbolic Butt posted:

# - backward search word under the cursor. and you don't even need to specify "inside the word" or some bullshit like that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Arcsech posted:

evil-mode and evil-org-mode?

quote:

(require 'package)
(push '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")
package-archives )
(push '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/")
package-archives)

Then:

M-x list-packages
C-s evil

Managing keymaps

If you want to use the full power of Emacs in Vim-like ways (ie using short key sequences near home row instead of Control-Shift-Nonsense), this section provides some guidance. This guide assumes you’ve read the Evil manual sections “Modes and states” and “Keymaps”.

i uh... er..??? i spent this time learning vim which uses keys that still exist on a US QWERTY keyboard

i want the tool but ported to vim

edit: oh it does exist huh

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 9, 2015

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

aw poo poo, slashdot circa 1999 is leaking

"Editor war is the common name for the rivalry between users of the Emacs and Vi (Vim) text editors. The rivalry has become a lasting part of hacker culture and the free software community."

both editors suck because Linux editors suck balls Notepad++ fo lyfe bitches

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

it doesnt matter if editors suck cause programming isnt editing text. thats what editors in the publishing industry do. programmers play in ball pits and argue about camel case and tabs

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i used vi for the first & only time to do some dork poo poo on a router & it was weird so i got a cheat sheet which helped a lot i wouldn't be averse to using it again thanks for listening to my non technical child vi story

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Phoning It In posted:

i used vi for the first & only time to do some dork poo poo on a router & it was weird so i got a cheat sheet which helped a lot i wouldn't be averse to using it again thanks for listening to my non technical child vi story

the first edit is free

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Share Bear posted:

i uh... er..??? i spent this time learning vim which uses keys that still exist on a US QWERTY keyboard

i want the tool but ported to vim

edit: oh it does exist huh

there's no way it's even half as powerful as org mode because part of what makes orgmode so powerful is how insanely extensible it is, and no one wants to extend anything written in vimscript

edit: hahahaha it exports its functionality to emacs hahahahahahaha

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

the only way vim users can do anything even moderately useful is to ask a better editor to do it lol forever

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

yea vim developers are smart and didnt reimplement functionality that already exists in another tool, thereby adhering to teh unix philosophy. dunno whats so funny about that

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Dicky B posted:

yea vim developers are smart and didnt reimplement functionality that already exists in another tool, thereby adhering to teh unix philosophy. dunno whats so funny about that

the unix philosophy isn't "don't reimplement functionality that already exists", it's "every tool should do one job well."

in that sense, yes, vim is unix philosophy, because what it does well is ask emacs to do its job

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

is your post a parody of people who get super passionate about imagined rivalries between text editors

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Dicky B posted:

is your post a parody of people who get super passionate about imagined rivalries between text editors

sure, whatever makes you feel good about your inability to choose useful tools

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

sublime text is really useful actually

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

Dicky B posted:

He chains prostitutes up in a dog kennel, if that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dicky B posted:

sublime text is really useful actually

for some reason, sublime has been going crazy with the cpu on my mac lately

• Locked thread