Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

lotus circle posted:

Teddy Sears did a news interview that sheds some light on Jay's situation, spoilers obviously. If you don't wanna watch here's the lowdown:

Zoom stole Jay Garrick's speed, making him unable to run fast. This happened right around the time of the singularity opening on the Earth-2 side, which caused Jay (and his helmet) to get sucked in.

All the more reason they should've redone that line.

"My name is Jay Garrick, and I was the fastest man alive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

lotus circle posted:

Teddy Sears did a news interview that sheds some light on Jay's situation, spoilers obviously. If you don't wanna watch here's the lowdown:

Zoom stole Jay Garrick's speed, making him unable to run fast. This happened right around the time of the singularity opening on the Earth-2 side, which caused Jay (and his helmet) to get sucked in.

Oh, so it's a Savitar-esque storyline more than a Zoom storyline. That's actually great because Savitar is secretly the best evil speedster ever that no one knows about.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Look whose coming back to the show.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That makes me happy. His episode was arguably the best of the season.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 11, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

David D. Davidson posted:

That makes me happy. He episode was arguably the best of the season.

And spawned the best quote of the CW Hero-verse thus far.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yesssss :flashfap:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I don't know if they could find someone to ratchet up the Evil-Son-of-a-Bitch levels enough to do Savitar. I mean, Wells/Eobard pretty much broke the scale by being a dick, Savitar would have to be Hitler levels of atrocities at this point.

Also, I love how loving :smug: Wells is, even in death. "Oh hey I'm dead. That sucks. By the way I know the future chump you're gonna be miserable anyway :smug:"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Sizzle reel from NYCC shows off new footage!

If you pause on the scene just before Jay appears in Star Labs of his world, you can actually see the people have a cool retro WWII style of clothing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

Sizzle reel from NYCC shows off new footage!

If you pause on the scene just before Jay appears in Star Labs of his world, you can actually see the people have a cool retro WWII style of clothing.

:lol: at the ending.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

:lol: at the ending.

I like that Barry and Ollie have a much better version of Batman/Superman thing going on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So the flash is just a red eye?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm a bit disappointed that this season's super-villain is also a speedster. And we even have a third speedster! Zzz...

That, along with Atom Crusher -- who was defeated by a very similar "feed him more energy than he can absorb!" tactic as another villain in Season 1 -- makes me worried that they are running out of fresh ideas.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

As a non comics reader the only thing I know about the Flash universe is that there's like a million speedsters, it's kind of a theme

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Duke posted:

As a non comics reader the only thing I know about the Flash universe is that there's like a million speedsters, it's kind of a theme

Yeah, this is one of my favorite 2 page spreads from a Flash annual, showing a bunch of speedsters from across the years:

This was even before they did a story about 50 generations of Flashes from the future. And then of course there was the second Zoom. And the Black Flash. And Wally's kids. Etc etc etc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that this season's super-villain is also a speedster. And we even have a third speedster! Zzz...

That, along with Atom Crusher -- who was defeated by a very similar "feed him more energy than he can absorb!" tactic as another villain in Season 1 -- makes me worried that they are running out of fresh ideas.

Don't worry, they're adding more than two speedsters this year. Last I heard it was at least four.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

X-O posted:

Don't worry, they're adding more than two speedsters this year. Last I heard it was at least four.

Atom Smasher could run pretty loving fast, as well, according to the show. He must've had superspeed as one of his powers.

But I will say it's just loving stupid that Barry constantly gets punched and shot and poo poo. Fighting Captain Cold and the fire guy again he was getting his rear end kicked for a while.

I hate the show's application of his superspeed.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 12, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

I'm sure thats comic canon or whatever, but yea it seems a bit lame. S3 villain better not be a speedster.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's easy to run fast when you can make yourself really tall and cover half a city block in one stride.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, this is one of my favorite 2 page spreads from a Flash annual, showing a bunch of speedsters from across the years:

This was even before they did a story about 50 generations of Flashes from the future. And then of course there was the second Zoom. And the Black Flash. And Wally's kids. Etc etc etc.

I wish I had the money to commission Ethan Van Sciver to do a modern version of this with every variation of every DC speeder on it.

Edit: Yes I know that is by Phil Jimenez, I just love how Ethan drew all the Flashes in Rebirth.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Atom Smasher could run pretty loving fast, as well, according to the show. He must've had superspeed as one of his powers.

But I will say it's just loving stupid that Barry constantly gets punched and shot and poo poo. Fighting Captain Cold and the fire guy again he was getting his rear end kicked for a while.

I hate the show's application of his superspeed.

It would help a lot if he actually worked out and built some muscle mass.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Who's that blue bird speedster? I feel like I should read every comic with it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sure thats comic canon or whatever, but yea it seems a bit lame. S3 villain better not be a speedster.

I hope it's Grodd. He has the potential to be a super-villain, especially since it was established that his intelligence is increasing and his mind-control powers becoming stronger. Imagine if he starts mind-controlling influential figures in the city and building himself a literal kingdom.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I hope it's Grodd. He has the potential to be a super-villain, especially since it was established that his intelligence is increasing and his mind-control powers becoming stronger. Imagine if he starts mind-controlling influential figures in the city and building himself a literal kingdom.

Grodd is like, the Flash's other big villain so that is definitely a possibility. It's kinda like Joker and Ra's Al Ghul for Batman, the Reverse Flash and Zoom are the personal villains who kinda just gently caress with the hero and people around him and Grodd is the city wide, potentially worldwide threat. It's either him or Abra Kadabra for villain who isn't a speedster in my opinion, the other season long arc they could do would be Cold and Heat Wave getting organised, recruiting and doing the Rogues organised group thing without Barry finding out about it straight away.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

It would help a lot if he actually worked out and built some muscle mass.

I don't think that's an issue at all. If you happen to be a Flash Speedster (as Barry is and has been shown to be) and not a Ramjet speedster, like the depictions of Superman and Faora in MoS - where you can travel fast, but can't do fine motor work at super speed - then you (Barry) can goddamned well move out of the way of a stupid loving punch or grasping arm or cold beam. He's just literally loving retarded.

And yeah, I would love to see Grodd elevated to season villain. :allears:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I wish I had the money to commission Ethan Van Sciver to do a modern version of this with every variation of every DC speeder on it.

Edit: Yes I know that is by Phil Jimenez, I just love how Ethan drew all the Flashes in Rebirth.

Oh absolutely. Thinking on it, it's amazing how many speedsters were introduced after this image.

A brief list of things that have had super speed that the Flash has fought:

Robots
Ghosts
Ninjas
The anthropomorphic concept of Death
Clones
Drug addicts

mastajake posted:

Who's that blue bird speedster? I feel like I should read every comic with it.

It's apparently a turtle called Fastback! It's the only one I had to look up, so not sure if there's a ton on comics featuring him

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm hoping Barry learns how to fight, at least a little bit, this season. He just runs at dudes and gets knocked out.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Guy A. Person posted:

It's apparently a turtle called Fastback! It's the only one I had to look up, so not sure if there's a ton on comics featuring him

He's from a talking animal version of the JLA called Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fezz posted:

He's from a talking animal version of the JLA called Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew.

Aww,look at them! they have a Z shaped Tower:

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Yeah, I kinda hope next season they go with a full blown Rogues Gallery, or Super Intelligent Grodd.

It'll probably just be Professor Zoom, though.

Actually, gently caress it, with the multiverse introduction they should burn it all down and do a Crisis on Infinite Earths story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that his renewed tv presence on the Flash is responsible for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAdpgiCc1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv8TQn6vo-Q

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm hoping Barry learns how to fight, at least a little bit, this season. He just runs at dudes and gets knocked out.

Pretty sure the preview showed Jay teaching Barry how to Hadoken, so he'll probably be picking up a few new tricks along the way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Guy A. Person posted:

The anthropomorphic concept of Death

Yes Black Racer, especially if he's got he's skiis! Come on New Gods!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

Well, that certainly was a season premiere. Already I am seeing signs of things I do not like. What kinds of things?

If there was a word that I could use to describe Season 3 of Arrow, it would probably be lazy. For some reason, they just kind of stopped caring. About making things plausible, about keeping character motivations consistent and believable, about including necessary beats so the story makes sense, about keeping track of things like an entire character in the middle of a loving fight scene. Seriously, one of Our Heroes gets electrocuted into unconsciousness during a fight scene and at the end of the fight, everyone else just walks off in slow motion. No one bothers to check on him. No one even mentions him. The showrunners straight-up admitted they forgot he was there. That's the level of sheer, sloppy laziness we're talking about here.

I'm not sure I would call Flash lazy yet, but... well, it sure did feel like there were some beats missing in this episode. It sure did feel like some things were skipped in order to get through plot points faster. It sure did feel like some of these character moments weren't exactly earned. I would really like to be wrong about this being signs of things to come. I guess we'll see.

What dude are you talking about? Mainly because I'm blocking out a lot of Arrow season 3, but I can't remember this guy off the top of my head.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What dude are you talking about? Mainly because I'm blocking out a lot of Arrow season 3, but I can't remember this guy off the top of my head.

The sidekick guy. If I remember right (painful memories), he came to help Arrow fight Atom, and Atom just zapped him unconscious. At the end of the fight Arrow and Atom had a bro moment, and completely failed to mention the sidekick or even, like, check up on him.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They're talking about Roy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

I hope the Turtle Man is adapted into the show. His gimmick was that he reasoned that the Flash did everything super fast, so logically the best way to beat him would be to do everything super slow. :D

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want them to adapt the Flash's fat black bespectacled friend who has a black hole in his belly he can't control. There's a sequence in the comic where Flash gets sucked in but then runs out with a bunch of survivors that would look cool/be funny on screen.

Now that the Flash is public I hour there's a lot more of him interacting with civilians because such situations are almost always cute.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Fastest cat-up-a-tree-rescue ever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Flash and crew straight up murdered the bad guy and glossed over it.

I didn't like that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

greatn posted:

I want them to adapt the Flash's fat black bespectacled friend who has a black hole in his belly he can't control. There's a cute.sequence in the comic where Flash gets sucked in but then runs out with a bunch of survivors that would look cool/be funny on screen.

Wait wait wait... Fat Chance wasn't an original Venture Bros villain??

• Locked thread