Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nerolus posted:

Beat the game, played it to death and uninstalled it. All without ever encountering a single crocodile and I only ever saw one bear.

If you beat it you would have had to see at least 1 croc. There is a scripted one in one of bucks missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, that's not nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF8iWVdkhi4

Cardboard Box posted:

Dylan's Far Cry 2 Realism Mod is pretty much essential for replaying that game.

Make your own Far Cry 2 mods!

Far Cry 2 Modding Tools (archives upgrade required)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421214

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

If you beat it you would have had to see at least 1 croc. There is a scripted one in one of bucks missions.

The buckodile scared the hell out of me, but it does teach you how best to take care of crocs: jump on their head.

Is there any use for the albino crocodile's skin or is that just for sale? I didn't even think to look at it since I'd already maxed everything out, but you never know.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

NESguerilla posted:

Nope, never saw it :( Must have been a short croc cameo, because the only place I've ever seen a croc in FC3 is on a youtube video of one eating a baddie straight off a dock.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Adraeus posted:

Make your own Far Cry 2 mods!

Far Cry 2 Modding Tools (archives upgrade required)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421214

Yeah but that's a lot of effort for a game I don't really entirely enjoy playing.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
For some reason google doesn't feel like letting me search this thread today.

Anyways, sorry if this has been definitively answered but I'm having huge trouble with the save system. Basically, Anytime I leave the game alt-tabbed longer than 10 minutes, it crashes. Upon starting it again, all my savedgames are gone. Worse, the saved games are still there:

In C:\ProgramData\Orbit\46
and C:\Users\All Users\Orbit\46

But they are no longer recognized by the game, for some reason. At first I assumed the game was just being dumb and deleting the saves when it crashed (stupid, but at least easily fixable by simply moving them elsewhere) but this current problem is truly unmanageable. Is there any way I can fix this?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some new :siren: hex edits :siren: and :siren: mods :siren::

Weapon Auto-holstering
Disable Object Flashing
Disable Stealth Indicators
Various Combinations of Mods
Mod Tools GUI

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know it's a weird thing to think about, but when you start the game and hit "continue", the screenshot there that I guess corresponds to the chapter of the story you are on often has a character that hasn't been introduced in the game yet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SplitSoul posted:

Some new :siren: hex edits :siren: and :siren: mods :siren::

[b]Weapon Auto-holstering

Oh hey that's a really clever way of handling things given the lack of a holster button. I like.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Cardboard Box posted:

Not drastically, but it's a lot less tedious to play. It makes malaria a much less frequent problem, weapons last longer, enemies are less bullet spongy, the chance that enemies at checkpoints will attack you is cut in half, amongst other alterations. If you didn't enjoy Far Cry 2 at all, you still won't with that mod. The fundamental flaws are still there.

My solution to Far cry 2 - Permanent God Mode. Then the hardest difficulty, just as an additional 'gently caress you' to the game. On top of that, When buses weren't enough I used the 'playback' exploit to run the game at 3X or 4X speed - for some reason, recording playback in FC2 increased the gamespeed insanely, maybe because I have a fast CPU or something... Very convenient for making cars and boats not be rear end-slow. Favorite highway were the railroads, because they were straight the whole time. drat those jungle roads require fast reaction times when you are playing the game at 4X speed...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

These are cool, thanks. I'll put them in the OP.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

That's the first time I've actually enjoyed a piece of live action marketing for a game. It's that rare time when you vocap and mocap with real actors so you are literally working with just live action versions of the game's characters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
loving cassowaries have no respect. I kill a bear that was chasing them and what do they do, turn around and claw me to pieces! This game makes me want to kill endangered species like you wouldn't believe.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wait, so he actually meant we have our finger on the cat trigger?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

loving cassowaries have no respect. I kill a bear that was chasing them and what do they do, turn around and claw me to pieces! This game makes me want to kill endangered species like you wouldn't believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAZ1X9TWrZA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jon93 posted:

That's the first time I've actually enjoyed a piece of live action marketing for a game. It's that rare time when you vocap and mocap with real actors so you are literally working with just live action versions of the game's characters.

In fact, I STILL love that Michael Mando looks just like Vaas even without the getup. I don't know why I find it so funny but if he wanted to he could literally become the character and go nuts and hire some pirates to gently caress up islands with him by just being him. :allears:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cassowary supremacy. This is great.

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009
If anyone has one of those video card Far Cry 3 vouchers that they want to part with in exchange for monetary compensation, please do let me know!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there something special about some places on the map that draws pirates like a magnet? I'm trying to hunt tapirs in an area just south of the village, which is supposedly clear of pirate influence, and yet pirates won't stop showing up, they are just POURING in from both directions of the road. I've never done this much continuous combat in this game yet, even in the reddest areas of the map. What's going on?

edit: even going back there like half an hour later after doing other things, it's still that way. Are there secret pirate rendezvous points that aren't on the map or anything?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 11, 2012

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'd happily remove object blinking if there weren't so few drops in the world., specifically ammo drops. It sucks that I have to rely on the market for bullets, considering there's so many armed people around, friend and foe alike.

That's actually one thing I missed about FC2 (I hate being the "past game was better, because..." guy) was that you had a small suite of resources waiting at you at each house you had. Not saying that every fast travel point should have a crate of free ammo, but at least a clip's worth resting on a table would be a nice touch on your way out. Makes you feel like you earned your next few kills.

Edit: vvv I can easily see where the game got less immersive, because a lot of people had grievances with the fact that it was "too hard": Everything trying to kill you, a poor fast travel system, etc etc.

Now for the sake of accessibility, you can fast travel all the time and can wipe the islands of everything except wild life. But now everyone's using everything in their power and calling the game too easy ("Why can I use my ultra powered sniper rifle from out of everyone's detection range and still get an undetected bonus?! Why don't they know where I'm throwing rocks from?! :arghfist::mad:>")

Personally, removing most of the HUD and having enemies drop a few more bullets/shells would be perfect immersion for me. There is literally nothing I would love more than to run around the beautiful world and mow down goons with the excellent gunplay. But even when I try, the game stops me hardcore.

Everyone has ARs: no one uses a pistol and only hand-placed snipers have SMGs. There's the occasional charger with 3 spare shells, even though just about everyone has a shotgun shell bandolier...

I want to live and survive off the dropped guns and rounds of my enemies, but Ubi made that pretty much unfeasible. Shame.

Oh well. Shooting dudes doesn't get old :buddy:

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 11, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Morter posted:

That's actually one thing I missed about FC2 (I hate being the "past game was better, because..." guy)

Don't feel bad, because there were some things that Far Cry 2 did better. It was much more immersive, the survival element was a lot stronger, the health system was better. I think Far Cry 3 is an overall better and much more enjoyable game, but a lot of the stuff omitted from Far Cry 2 is definitely curious.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just like how you suffered from Malaria in FC2, you should have AIDS in FC3. Poor Citra.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only thing that annoys me about the game is how short of a fall you can have before dislocating a thumb or wrist.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get some help, yo. Why does my Far Cry look like this?

It's making me cry :-(

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fatsowellington/screenshots

I gots me a:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

4 gbs of ram

intel CORE i3 processor

and a couple cocktail weenies.

I was running the game on medium last night with no issues. I'm not to sure what the hell happened.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 11, 2012

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Mr E posted:

The only thing that annoys me about the game is how short of a fall you can have before dislocating a thumb or wrist.

It is kind of ridiculous how easy it is to die from falling too, never knew that a four foot drop was equal in damage to being blown up with three RPGs :v:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Argh, my stupid game is broken:

After days of screwing around on the island, I start moving through some of the story: I get to "saving oliver" and the stupid thing won't trigger. I don't get the count-down timer or even have a dot on the map to go to. I watched a walk-through of part of it so I know you need to get to a vantage point a snipe, but nothing starts the sequence

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I have not cleared out the closest camp? All my Rakyet bros are cruising around the mission area now.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I gots me a:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

4 gbs of ram

intel CORE i3 processor

I was running the game on medium last night with no issues. I'm not to sure what the hell happened.

Maybe your install got corrupted somehow. Verify cache integrity in Steam and maybe even do a defrag if you haven't run one in a while.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fatsowellington/screenshots

I gots me a:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

4 gbs of ram

intel CORE i3 processor

I'm fairly confident your graphics card might be dying. Have your overclocked it? Is it running very hot?

Edit: Get a stick and roast cocktail weenies over your card. :tipshat:

Edit #2: Try the advice in the post above mine first.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thats what vid cards poo poo out when they are dying, usually its bits melting or if its new out of the box its a defective.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Vatek posted:

Maybe your install got corrupted somehow. Verify cache integrity in Steam and maybe even do a defrag if you haven't run one in a while.

I didn't get it through steam sadly, I have to deal with the very poopy Uplay. Which only has a "Launch in safe mode option" which, also, doesn't fix anything.

I'm just doing a full uninstall and reinstall.

SplitSoul posted:

I'm fairly confident your graphics card might be dying. Have your overclocked it? Is it running very hot?

Edit: Get a stick and roast cocktail weenies over your card. :tipshat:

Edit #2: Try the advice in the post above mine first.

They were already cooked :smith:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Holy poo poo, Sam is the best character. After blowing up the fuel depot, he high fives you and in his amazing German accent goes, "America, gently caress yeah!" with such spirit and zest :3:

I would have probably said exactly the same thing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

f#a# posted:

Holy poo poo, Sam is the best character. After blowing up the fuel depot, he high fives you and in his amazing German accent goes, "America, gently caress yeah!" with such spirit and zest :3:

I haven't even reached this point yet but I already adore Sam. He's the most friendly and affable German undercover operative. "Willis sent me." "How is he?! I've been worried about him, haven't heard anything in years!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RandallODim posted:

I haven't even reached this point yet but I already adore Sam. He's the most friendly and affable German undercover operative. "Willis sent me." "How is he?! I've been worried about him, haven't heard anything in years!"

I really love when he says how easy it is to convince people you're a bad guy when you have a German accent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

f#a# posted:

If you have subtitles on, it says "gently caress ja!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This tapir problem is really bothering me. There's only one tapir area in all the places I have radio towers up for (which is odd since they are not endangered, meanwhile there are like six places each I can go to kill tigers or cassowaries or komodo dragons), and like I said before, it's swarming with an endless stream of murderous pirates all the time for no reason I can understand. I'm stuck with only a ten arrow capacity and the bow is all I want to use.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 11, 2012

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

This tapir problem is really bothering me. There's only one tapir area in all the places I have radio towers up for (which is odd since they are not endangered, meanwhile there are like six places each I can go to kill tigers or cassowaries or komodo dragons), and like I said before, it's swarming with an endless stream of murderous pirates all the time for no reason I can understand. I'm stuck with only a ten arrow capacity and the bow is all I want to use.

Perhaps you should stop using the bow?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NESguerilla posted:

No it's not, I saw the croc and killed it before it even attempted to snap at me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I been falling over Tapirs. Something even happened when I exited the game and made me lose my Tapir Leather upgrades and I had to kill 4 more. Some friendly dogs even showed up to help me chase the little buggers down.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zaphod42 posted:

See, sometimes I feel like you don't know what weapons you want until you're on a mission, and then you're kinda fubar if you want different weapons.

There's all kinds of times when I wish I had a shotgun, or a machine gun, or an RPG, or the flamethrower, but most of the time I don't use them, so I can't let them take up one of my precious 4 slots.

Guessing at random like "I guess I'll bring the RPG this time" and it ends up its a stealth mission, should have brought my bow...

I really wish they let you change out your loadout at the start of the story mission, right after you figure out what you are gonna do. You can swap in the field, but you can't find the self-store weapon lockers outside of fast travel, which is usually outside of the "mission area" that it locks you into.

From what I can remember, the first time you meet heavies in the story is the flamethrower mission, so it is sort of designed to show you that fire is good against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Megadace posted:

Perhaps you should stop using the bow?
I'm sorry, I didn't hear that comment over the sound of how awesome bows are in this game.

• Locked thread