Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Wish they still put that much effort into their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Neo Rasa posted:

Wish they still put that much effort into their games.

Yes cause obviously they put such minimal time and effort into each one of their games. Thanks for checking in.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
3D World? Man, what a hastily thrown together hackjob.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Going to finally pick up a Wii U with the deal at Target tomorrow. How much fun is the MP on SM3DW with people that are horrible at Mario? Am I or are they going to get frustrated if we did when playing New Super Mario Wii?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Malt posted:

Going to finally pick up a Wii U with the deal at Target tomorrow. How much fun is the MP on SM3DW with people that are horrible at Mario? Am I or are they going to get frustrated if we did when playing New Super Mario Wii?

I don't think you have much to worry about. I played the majority of the game co-op and we were both poo poo at it. I don't remember ever feeling frustrated until I hit the bonus worlds at the end.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Malt posted:

It's not as frustrating since you don't get in each other's way as much as the 2D games.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 5, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Yes cause obviously they put such minimal time and effort into each one of their games. Thanks for checking in.

Thanks for being a defensive baby.

That book is really cool.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Lately they have, yeah. That's why they're in the position they're in now.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

DrPaper posted:

Lately they have, yeah. That's why they're in the position they're in now.

Not really. Nintendo's biggest problem right now is quantity and marketing. All of their first party games have been pretty great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I suspect by "minimal effort", they mean "not a new IP/a new entry in my favorite franchise". I think that's a misuse of the term.

The games themselves are as great and polished as ever, they're certainly not cranking out downgrades and mediocre sequels (the only exceptions being Game and Wario and Yoshi's New Island).

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

dude789 posted:

Not really. Nintendo's biggest problem right now is quantity and marketing. All of their first party games have been pretty great.

I didn't contest how much enjoyment you got out of them, I'm contesting the effort put into them. New Super Mario Bros with 1 new power-up run through the level editor is not the same level of quality development we used to get. You can spiff up Donkey Kong Country Returns and gloss out Wind Waker with some bloom, it's still not the same amount of development effort as Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario World. Mario Kart 64 to Double Dash.

I'm not doubting they're fun. They were fun before, so of course they're going to be fun again. I just don't need to buy several games I can get much of the same experience from already. I haven't gotten a Wii U simply because of that. They can still do it, poo poo Pokemon X and Y is the first actual big leap that series has taken and it's great. I'd even say 3D World from Land is pretty close to this level of actual improvement in development too.

I'm really hopeful this overdo knocking on their rear end by the Wii U will get them back to actually trying again, instead of coasting on easy street. It's the same poo poo as Call of Duty, only difference is Nintendo is only just now starting to delve into DLC to help line their pockets.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 6, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tropical Freeze is an all new game and it loving owns, actually.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You changed your post but 3D World isn't just 3D Land with a coat of paint, it's a completely different game. It's not really comparable to what they did with Wind Waker HD.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

DrPaper posted:

I didn't contest how much enjoyment you got out of them, I'm contesting the effort put into them. New Super Mario Bros with 1 new power-up run through the level editor is not the same level of quality development we used to get. You can spiff up 3D Land and gloss out Wind Waker with some bloom, it's still not the same amount of development effort as Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario World. Mario Kart 64 to Double Dash.

I'm not doubting they're fun. They were fun before, so of course they're going to be fun again. I just don't need to buy several games I can get much of the same experience from. I haven't gotten a Wii U simply because of that. They can still do it, poo poo Pokemon X and Y is the first actual big leap that series has taken and it's great.

I'm really hopeful this overdo knocking on their rear end by the Wii U will get them back to actually trying again, instead of coasting on easy street. It's the same poo poo as Call of Duty, only difference is Nintendo is only just now starting to delve into DLC to help line their pockets.

Just because they didn't change up the core gameplay that much doesn't mean that the games are low effort. Most reviews are calling the level design in NSMBU the best of the NSMB games, and myself and a few other posters have gotten more enjoyment from 3D world than we did from either of the galaxy games because the levels are so creative and unique. Calling them low effort is disrespecting the immense amount of work and creativity that went into the individual level design which is the primary reason that the games are so good.

Edit: To give another example, Dark Souls 2 barely changed the core gameplay from Dark Souls. Would you call Dark Souls 2 low effort?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They did a lot more to Wind Waker than just improve the graphics.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I suspect by "minimal effort", they mean "not a new IP/a new entry in my favorite franchise". I think that's a misuse of the term.

The games themselves are as great and polished as ever, they're certainly not cranking out downgrades and mediocre sequels (the only exceptions being Game and Wario and Yoshi's New Island).

Well, problem is that so far Nintendo's first-party Wii U stuff HAS been underwhelming.

- A level pack for New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- A level pack for the level pack for New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- An HD remastering of a Gamecube game.
- A poorly-advertised and weirdly-monetized version of Wii Fit.
- A tech-demo/proof-of-concept minigame collection (a high-quality, polished tech demo minigame collection, mind you)
- A party-game themed minigame collection sequel
- A retro-themed minigame collection of wildly-varying quality between minigames.
- A bad Warioware title on a system swimming with other, better minigame collection games
- And finally Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and Pikmin 3. AKA, the legit good stuff.

I am not saying everything else above is bad (I enjoyed Wind Waker HD and NES Remix greatly, and I know enough people with love for NintendoLand to not just discount it off-hand even if I was greatly underwhelmed personally) but that is... a really weak start for Nintendo. Part of the problem is the big N not being familiar with the hurdles of HD Development (Pikmin 3 and SM3DW were both supposed to be out MONTHS earlier then they were) but the fact of the matter is, the games the system needs just haven't been coming and what we've been getting in their place have been lackluster.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DrPaper posted:

it's still not the same amount of development effort as Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario World. Mario Kart 64 to Double Dash.

For Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze it absolutely is. Wind Waker HD is, as the name implies, and HD update so I don't know what your point even is there. Are you going to complain about Mario All-Stars next?

To say nothing of Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World are both marked improvements over their predecessors.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

dude789 posted:

Just because they didn't change up the core gameplay that much doesn't mean that the games are low effort. Most reviews are calling the level design in NSMBU the best of the NSMB games, and myself and a few other posters have gotten more enjoyment from 3D world than we did from either of the galaxy games because the levels are so creative and unique. Calling them low effort is disrespecting the immense amount of work and creativity that went into the individual level design which is the primary reason that the games are so good.

Edit: To give another example, Dark Souls 2 barely changed the core gameplay from Dark Souls. Would you call Dark Souls 2 low effort?

I did change my opinion on 3D World after posting because it is fairly different. It's what they should be doing. It's much more in line with their old development of sequels. And NSMBU is a game I have beaten 100% with a friend on his Wii U, as well as gotten through half of Luigi U. I don't feel like I'm missing out on much when I go back to NSMB2 or Wii.

It's not about changing the core gameplay. SMB3 still has the same core gameplay as SMW, but they're entirely different games compared to the NSMB series. It's not just about keeping the formula that works, but advancing the formula, and I'd say 3D World is the first of their next gen releases to do so.

Pikmin 3 is also a great advancement. I'm also looking forward to where Smash Bros. is going. When they get more titles like these, then yeah, I'll consider buying a Wii U.

EDIT: I'll also concede I'm wrong about Tropical Freeze. It's one of the few me and my friend haven't played and I dismissed it early on for not looking that different from DKCR outside of adding Dixie, Cranky and the power meter. This has more to do with as dude789 said, the marketing angle. If it is truly different from what it's appearances have given, then maybe I'm just grumbling about a pretty shoddy first year line-up and they are moving on.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 6, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alteisen posted:

Thanks for being a defensive baby.

That book is really cool.

I've only had a Wii U for a week and never had a Wii, but it's pretty drat easy to see the effort they put into these games.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DrPaper posted:

If it is truly different from what it's appearances have given, then maybe I'm just grumbling about a pretty shoddy first year line-up and they are moving on.

It is and you are. Tropical Freeze is fantastic, easily better than the first game, so if you enjoyed that one you'll love this one.

Nintendo has been doing poorly for the same reason they were doing poorly with the Wii, a complete lack of third party support, only it's even worse this time as third parties have completely abandoned the system rather than releasing tons of shovelware for it. The actual games Nintendo releases have been pretty great, even the ones I haven't enjoyed I still can't fault them for releasing cause, you know, they're getting their poo poo kicked in and need to make some money somehow, so if reskinning the last Dr. Mario game calling it Dr. Luigi can help then they're gonna do it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Wii did poorly??

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tropical Freeze is almost like the leap from Super Mario Bros. 1 to Super Mario Bros. 3. It is just that much more advanced. All the levels are a ton larger with much more clear themes and much more memorable set pieces, they tripled the amount of buddy characters, and every enemy in the game is completely new. There might be some old enemies later but through world 5 I haven't seen a single repeat. Also the music is now fully orchestrated and composed by the original composer rather than being effective but cheap knock offs.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It is and you are. Tropical Freeze is fantastic, easily better than the first game, so if you enjoyed that one you'll love this one.

Nintendo has been doing poorly for the same reason they were doing poorly with the Wii, a complete lack of third party support, only it's even worse this time as third parties have completely abandoned the system rather than releasing tons of shovelware for it. The actual games Nintendo releases have been pretty great, even the ones I haven't enjoyed I still can't fault them for releasing cause, you know, they're getting their poo poo kicked in and need to make some money somehow, so if reskinning the last Dr. Mario game calling it Dr. Luigi can help then they're gonna do it.

And I think that's where I'm getting jaded - even though I understand why they're doing it. I'm a "fan" of Nintendo. I grew up with it. I'm not crying because there's no Metroid out or K. Rool isn't in DK, I get that. A nice chunk of the Wii U's library feels rehashed to me because it's starting line-up, and then when I tune into Nintendo Direct, excited for some new games I get poo poo like Dr. Mario WiiWare but now Luigi! and it makes me upset. I like Nintendo, alot of their IPs are some of my favorites. I know they're probably not going to release a new Metroid for awhile, but if they're going to release another side-scrolling Mario I'd like it to feel more improved than what I have already.

With Tropical Freeze (I'll get my friend to rent it) and 3D World, and the upcoming Kart and Smash I can see improvement but I still look at the Wii U and get pissed off at the missed potential, as the childish gamer I am.

quote:

Also the music is now fully orchestrated and composed by the original composer rather than being effective but cheap knock offs.

I will say this, even in the games I've perceived to be lacking in effort I still love the music. Nintendo would really benefit from releasing an addictive rhythm game along the lines of Project Diva or Theatrymn - which could work wonders with the pad - built from the various soundtracks of their catalog.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 6, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'd play the gently caress out of Super Dance Bros. So long as it's in the style of Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wonderful 101 is literally all the reason anyone needs to own a Wii U.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Malt posted:

I was able to get through the first five worlds with two six year olds who have never played a 3D Mario before other than a bit of Galaxy 1. They had a ton of fun and I never got too frustrated. I bet novices will love the gimmick levels, they kept begging to replay them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

While Nintendo have released some new IPs, and funded the development of ones like The Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade Chronicles, I'd like to see one from their own internal developers that was given the same attention as their major titles like Mario and Zelda. I know that's awfully picky, but I'm not interested in some submarine game on the eShop.

If they made a brand new series, then they could tailor it to the GamePad, rather than taking an existing series and making the GamePad a useful but not essential mechanic. Something like Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, where you can play with the character on the screen and shift gravity with the GamePad. I think Nintendoland experimented with this for the F-Zero minigame.

They should also try and expand the range of styles for their games, since games like Fire Emblem and the X series use anime styles and don't suffer for it. The Metroid Prime series was very detailed and atmospheric, which made them stand out from the other games Nintendo were releasing at the same.

When Miyamaoto's given creative freedom, he comes up with games like Animal Crossing and Pikmin, and these have both become long-running series. I don't know why Nintendo can't just give him another clean slate to work with and try and get Nintendo fans excited for 'Miyamoto's next project' rather than just more of the same games they've been playing for decades.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

That loving Sned posted:

While Nintendo have released some new IPs, and funded the development of ones like The Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade Chronicles, I'd like to see one from their own internal developers that was given the same attention as their major titles like Mario and Zelda. I know that's awfully picky, but I'm not interested in some submarine game on the eShop.

If they made a brand new series, then they could tailor it to the GamePad, rather than taking an existing series and making the GamePad a useful but not essential mechanic. Something like Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, where you can play with the character on the screen and shift gravity with the GamePad. I think Nintendoland experimented with this for the F-Zero minigame.

They should also try and expand the range of styles for their games, since games like Fire Emblem and the X series use anime styles and don't suffer for it. The Metroid Prime series was very detailed and atmospheric, which made them stand out from the other games Nintendo were releasing at the same.

When Miyamaoto's given creative freedom, he comes up with games like Animal Crossing and Pikmin, and these have both become long-running series. I don't know why Nintendo can't just give him another clean slate to work with and try and get Nintendo fans excited for 'Miyamoto's next project' rather than just more of the same games they've been playing for decades.

I had been under the impression that Miyamoto was seeking to retire, and was thus in the process of grooming some sort of replacement rather than focus on making new IPs.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Well, there's this quote from Nintendo's last financial report.

quote:

We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user’s gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto’s software development department this year.

So basically that's what they're doing right now, for better or for worse.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Just got SM3DW off the eShop and beat the first world. Plays and looks really nice, the style's so :3:
Can't wait for next week to really dig into it and get to the good stuff.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
Finally got Wonderful 101. Other than being oddly difficult (I picked normal, because why not?), it's been nothing but amazing.

I was a bit disappointed when I realized the rest of the soundtrack wasn't being done in the same style as the theme/prologue song.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rack posted:

I was a bit disappointed when I realized the rest of the soundtrack wasn't being done in the same style as the theme/prologue song.

Yeah but on the other hand when the song kicks in for the boss fight climaxes its loving AMAZING

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DrPaper posted:

I will say this, even in the games I've perceived to be lacking in effort I still love the music.

But the music is easily the worst part of the New Super Mario Bros series. I guess it's not bad, but it's not at the level of quality that the music usually is in Nintendo games.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

But the music is easily the worst part of the New Super Mario Bros series. I guess it's not bad, but it's not at the level of quality that the music usually is in Nintendo games.

The music may not be bad, but it sure is bah.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

deadwing posted:

Well, there's this quote from Nintendo's last financial report.

So basically that's what they're doing right now, for better or for worse.

I'm still waiting for some kind of local and online multiplayer RTS/TBS that utilizes the Gamepad as some kind of strategic or tactical planning device.

Herzog Drei, perhaps?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

I'm still waiting for some kind of local and online multiplayer RTS/TBS that utilizes the Gamepad as some kind of strategic or tactical planning device.

Herzog Drei, perhaps?
There's some indie game that was announced somewhat recently that's kinda like that. Hex Heroes or something? (I just vaguely remember hexagonal tabletop board + "heroes")

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

japtor posted:

There's some indie game that was announced somewhat recently that's kinda like that. Hex Heroes or something? (I just vaguely remember hexagonal tabletop board + "heroes")

Hex Heroes, yeah. The kickstarter is here, but its a little up in the air on whether or not it'll succeed, given how Kickstarter is and all.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Yeah the NSMB BAH BAH BAH BAH stuff is horrendous. I meant everything else.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The crazy part about that crap, is that the original versions of the music don't have that BAH BAH crap in it.

So someone went through all that music and inserted that retarded sound effect for no particular reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Alteisen posted:

The crazy part about that crap, is that the original versions of the music don't have that BAH BAH crap in it.

So someone went through all that music and inserted that retarded sound effect for no particular reason.

They went into a lot of effort making cute animations for enemies, powerups, and scenery to bounce and dance to the BAH BAH, instead of just making good music in general.

• Locked thread