Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I discovered that it is now possible to achieve a -5 settler growth a year in a colony if you go tropical way too soon. Yes, people actually die off. No wonder it was taking so long. :downs:

After seeing what happened in south east Asia I can't help but say that the boosted nationalist rebels are, in fact, pretty awesome. Ayuthaya blobbed up like crazy and collapsed as they were torn apart by rebels and split up into ALL of the nations with cores. And now Majapahit is rampaging across Aceh. The Timurids had a couple of countries break away that I never even knew existed. Beautiful.

Now I really wish the devs would add a rebel difficulty slider when you start a game so I could crank it up a bit further. Anything to prevent the same static world with the sameish large blobs emerging in every game. Having nations that expand too big or too fast fall apart makes the map a lot more interesting.

The new Hindu mechanics seem pretty fun so far too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zodium posted:

Get out of Africa's goddamn tropical penalties until the 1600s when your colonization rate is better (tied to DIP tech) and get into South America, pronto. If you've put a lot of effort into colonizing Africa already, you might want to just restart because it's terrible in every way compared to America, and the colonization game is as heavy on snowballing as the conquest game.

Here's a basic rundown of colonizing well as Castille:
  1. Beeline for Exploration and a colonist with enough range ASAP.
  2. While you wait for that, beat up Portugal! They're like a pinata full of money you can break every five years. Bait their army in Castilla la Vieja (57% mountains) or Salamanca (closer, but only 31% mountains), achieve your wargoal, then run two cav regiments through their territory every six months. Note that you have to send them to each province individually to loot, not just run through. When you finally get Call for Peace, demand money, trade power and provinces only if you're on time for ADM 7.
  3. Colonize Cape Verde. Portugal will never colonize because they'll be perpetually broke, and no one useful will come to help because they start allied to notoriously useless England, so never demand they break that alliance. If they try to start any of that poo poo, correct them.
  4. When you hit Brazil, put down five colonies (in the order Pernambuco, Rio Grande, Maranhao, Grao Para, Ceara) ASAP until you get a CN, since they start with 0 ideas. Give your new CN as much cash as you have on hand to establish armies and begin colonization ASAP.
  5. Governors should always be of the DIP variety until they have at least two colonists. Do whatever the CN asks for for a first-term governor, always reelect a second-term governor, then do whatever the CN asks for and repeat.
  6. Move towards the Caribbean. Colonize in the order Trinidad, St. Martin, Puerto Rico, Les Cayes, Havana, Curacao, Turks Islands. This is more than you need to form a CN, but it will put your CN in a position to fabricate a claim on any part of the Caribbean area, except for Bahamas (1 BT), later. When your CN forms, again give it money to establish itself.
  7. Around tech 7, it's a good idea to get the first idea of Expansion. You'll want to gradually conquer Portugal and Aragon as MP allows, too, but you'll be heavily financially constrained, so take it slow.
  8. Move towards Rio da Prata. You get the picture: colonize the five highest BT coastal provinces, give new CN money.
  9. Lock up the Caribbean, then the coast of Rio da Prata, then Brazil. The Caribbean is hardest to fight over, and Brazil being first will colonize autonomously faster than Argentina.
  10. Create a CN in Peru and conquer the Inca.
  11. When your CN starts running at least two colonies at the same time, you can start upping the tariff rate slowly. Don't go over 40%.

Congrats, you're obscenely rich. Hire mercenaries and conquer France. If you have a bit of spare military resources, you can always give Aragon the Portugal treatment as well for extra cash.

Thanks for the help, but what does CN mean?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Colonial nation. It'll only form if you have Conquest of Paradise active, where you'll get Castilian Brazil (or Castilian Guyana, or New Spain, or...). They give you a portion of their monthly income depending on the tariff rate you have set.

As for building temples, bear in mind they give you 1 gold per year = 0.08/month, roughly. Their biggest value is not in income at all but the fact that your force limit is based off of your base tax, which temples affect. So if you build more temples, you can actually have a larger standing army without paying an extra premium.

As a sidenote: I've read on the forums that the economy is a bit wonky now because they changed how base tax converts into goods produced, and as a result low base tax areas took a noticeable hit. This shouldn't be too big of an issue as Castile but some of the poorer nations find it roughly tough to turn a profit now, while only sitting at their force limit, let alone going above it.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Colonial nations form regardless if you have conquest of paradise active. You just can't play as one unless you own conquest of paradise. Also if you ever get annoyed the "choose viceroy" spam (and trust me you will) you can incerase the liberty desire above 50%. This will fire an event that lets the CN choose their own viceroy.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:psyduck:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ah, the Austro-Salzburgundian-Hungarian Empire. Perfectly historical.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Paradox you're killing me. The parts of Africa in the Seville trade region aren't overseas for Portugal but the ones not in it are worthless. How does that work? I own the entire African west coast. Do people just decide not to build roads connecting those provinces to the neighboring ones?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ethiser posted:

Paradox you're killing me. The parts of Africa in the Seville trade region aren't overseas for Portugal but the ones not in it are worthless. How does that work? I own the entire African west coast. Do people just decide not to build roads connecting those provinces to the neighboring ones?

Extending the area that counts as not overseas requires a contiguous land connection to your capital. It's not that they don't build roads, it's that they can't built a road from Safi to Lisboa.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So has anyone tried a Muscowy game lately? Plays more or less the same, but I have no clue as to what my first pick for idea lines should be. Used to be that it would always be Expansion, because that was almost made for Russia. Now I'm not so sure, because I need those admin points for coring and Religious Ideas. I'm currently trying Religious first, we shall see.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

PittTheElder posted:

So has anyone tried a Muscowy game lately? Plays more or less the same, but I have no clue as to what my first pick for idea lines should be. Used to be that it would always be Expansion, because that was almost made for Russia. Now I'm not so sure, because I need those admin points for coring and Religious Ideas. I'm currently trying Religious first, we shall see.

I just started one yesterday, and I still went with expansion for the early colonist even though the 400 ADM cost hurts with all the Novgorod provinces you have to core and trying to get ADM 10 as fast as possible to form Russia. I'd like to get a DIP idea set because I use those points almost as little as I use MIL, but none of them seem particularly useful for Muscovy.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Can we all please just take a moment to observe the worst job that the AI Ottomans has ever done. All relevant parties in the region are AIs and didn't have any assistance from me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ukraine strong!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blackmongoose posted:

I just started one yesterday, and I still went with expansion for the early colonist even though the 400 ADM cost hurts with all the Novgorod provinces you have to core and trying to get ADM 10 as fast as possible to form Russia. I'd like to get a DIP idea set because I use those points almost as little as I use MIL, but none of them seem particularly useful for Muscovy.
I usually get Trade just for the extra merchants. Diplomatic would be OK if you were doing the Rampage Over Asia thing, but I usually don't. I just like playing the openings really.

Kersch posted:

Can we all please just take a moment to observe the worst job that the AI Ottomans has ever done. All relevant parties in the region are AIs and didn't have any assistance from me.

Who is that tearing it up in Central Eurasia, Sibir? Surely that must be a human.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 2, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How many HRE members are even left there?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zodium posted:

Extending the area that counts as not overseas requires a contiguous land connection to your capital. It's not that they don't build roads, it's that they can't built a road from Safi to Lisboa.

My problem is that the provinces on both sides of the Straight of Gibraltar count as not overseas as well as the bordering provinces. So why are the provinces nest to those overseas?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Ethiser posted:

My problem is that the provinces on both sides of the Straight of Gibraltar count as not overseas as well as the bordering provinces. So why are the provinces nest to those overseas?

All provinces that were on a different continent and didn't have a land connection with your capital used to be considered overseas. I guess in order to alleviate the problem of some countries having very nearby 'overseas' provinces, they put a minimum range on how far away a province has to be before it can be considered overseas. So for example Portugal and Tangiers, or if Tunis were to grab Sicily those would not be considered overseas. But, just sharing a land border only with those overseas, 'in-range' provinces isn't enough to make further provinces outside of that minimum range be considered connected.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Well myHansa game has launched straight past critical mass. I'm making about 200 ducats income off of trade right now(1575), and money hasn't even started to flow back to Europe from the Americas. I also have barely started my Africa/Asia trade route yet so yeah, my income is going to go crazy. I was at 212% overextension for years earlier due to hastily conquering some African land without checking if I could core it and survived just fine, so i've pretty much won the game.

vvv Sorry about that, posted from my phone

Zeron fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 2, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Aah, my tables!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I'm glad this patch made the AI more consistent with alliances. I'm playing as a sort of Hungary-Austria and Mega Poland hasn't stabbed me in the back yet!

edit Great Britain has had only 10 ships for over a decade, all of them light. They haven't fought any wars. What the heck?

Michael Bayleaf fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Zeron posted:

Well myHansa game has launched straight past critical mass. I'm making about 200 ducats income off of trade right now(1575), and money hasn't even started to flow back to Europe from the Americas. I also have barely started my Africa/Asia trade route yet so yeah, my income is going to go crazy. I was at 212% overextension for years earlier due to hastily conquering some African land without checking if I could core it and survived just fine, so i've pretty much won the game.

vvv Sorry about that, posted from my phone

I've found that a big help to African/Indian trade is colonizing South Africa. Hold all of the territory on that trade node, and just control the flow. If you're having a hard time collecting in Europe, just try collecting there instead.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Lord Binky posted:

edit Great Britain has had only 10 ships for over a decade, all of them light. They haven't fought any wars. What the heck?
In my Netherlands game England hasn't built any troops or ships in over 30 years after I trashed them a few times to steal their colonies. They haven't colonized either, it's like the AI just gave up.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Vodos posted:

In my Netherlands game England hasn't built any troops or ships in over 30 years after I trashed them a few times to steal their colonies. They haven't colonized either, it's like the AI just gave up.

They ended up losing their trade ships against Castile, which I guess made them remember they can build more.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PittTheElder posted:

Expansion is still great, probably not as first ideas though, I'd go with diplomatic to make some friends in Europe and try to score a union early on. Colonization is slower now so you don't need to rush to prevent Castile from taking Siberia, also pretty much all provinces there are now base tax 1, it's just not as profitable as before because of trade goods changes.
I'd say go
4 - diplomatic, take care of conquering and coring Novgorod and other Russians there
7 - expansion, only take colonist, don't put more in it before forming Russia and 11 admin
11 - take administrative to reduced coring cost
Complete expansion for colonial CB, take China and clear up central Asia for some good value Silk Road trade.
Completing administrative and expansion will give you policy for -15% coring cost(it does take 1 admin/month and stays active for at least 10 years, only flip it on for big conquests), between Russian ideas, making claims with your diplomats and administrative it's -80% coring cost. If you manage to get yourself into HRE emperorship and pass reforms it'll be -90%.
I also want religious to convert things faster to reduce revolt risks and size of nationalist rebels, but admin points are already stretched thin.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 2, 2014

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

elf help book posted:

How many HRE members are even left there?
Maybe a dozen. There hasn't been enough states for Imperial Integrity to be active for a long time.

PittTheElder posted:

Who is that tearing it up in Central Eurasia, Sibir? Surely that must be a human.
It is Sibir, and nope this is just a singleplayer test game where I played The Hansa kind of conservatively and sat back to rake in money. Here's a few screens from the early 1800s.

Sibir stretches from the Black Sea nearly to the Pacific.

They never westernized, but I think their sheer numbers just spooked Russia. Russia had terrible luck this time around, in general.

The Hansa is pretty great at absorbing trade over land. Other than one Caribbean -> North America -> North Sea route, all of my trade income is from steering across central and eastern Europe. I just stacked anything that said it gave a bonus to either Inland Trade Power or just steering in general. I don't even really have more than a couple of provinces outside of the Lubeck node.

Once you max out admin efficiency, the warscore costs to take things are absolutely absurd. Look at this huge Bohemia, and the warscore cost to straight up vassalize them with me not having them as a rival and only having 1 claim on them is 88% warscore cost. I vassalized the entirety of Norway for like 45% cost in the same war. Also pictured: Kiel Canal running through Holstein.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 2, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I dont understand this whole making money thing. I'm playing as Denmark, and I've just annexed Holstein and conquered Lubeck and my income is 1.67 or something akin to that.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Kersch posted:

Once you max out admin efficiency, the warscore costs to take things are absolutely absurd. Look at this huge Bohemia, and the warscore cost to straight up vassalize them with me not having them as a rival and only having 1 claim on them is 88% warscore cost. I vassalized the entirety of Norway for like 45% cost in the same war. Also pictured: Kiel Canal running through Holstein.

Sounds like diplo-vassalizing is even more powerful now, especially with these loving nationalist rebels.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Sounds like diplo-vassalizing is even more powerful now, especially with these loving nationalist rebels.
What Kersch is doing is not diplo-vassalizing, they patched out the ability to diplo-vassalize countries of that size a long time ago. Anyway look at the the 129.7 AE, that's probably enough to get every remaining christian country on the planet to join a coalition. On the other hand, paying only 50 dip for that must be nice. Maybe you can go on a crazy truce-breaking world war spree at adm 26 or 29 and vassalize everyone for a WC. Especially if the vassalization warscore costs are further scaled down in huge coalition wars.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Found another misleading tooltip, the trade company screen says that the TC increases goods produced by non-western countries by x%.

Looking at a 5 base tax province, they get +0.12. It is also mislabeled as bonus from merchant republics, there is no merchant republic trading in the node.

Looking at a 1 base tax province, they get +0.12 too. So you really get only x% of 1 from the trade company. The tooltip in the trade screen should just say increases goods produced by 0.x because I can't find anything that would actually modify that number.

Also, is this supposed to happen?

Having the natives to a default government like feudal monarchy when they reform would be more sensible, it's a bit silly when they copy a supposedly unique government type.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Lord Binky posted:

I'm glad this patch made the AI more consistent with alliances. I'm playing as a sort of Hungary-Austria and Mega Poland hasn't stabbed me in the back yet!

On the other hand if you are allied to another great power and your borders touch..no way are you keeping that alliance forever. If they don't do it immediately, eventually they'll recalculate their rivals and you'll go right to the top of their list.

And yeah, England severely underperformed in my game too. Not entirely sure what happened there.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
I feel like they need to rework the war leader concept. Its a bit crazy when Muscovy take over as war leader for a European war. A war in which they can't actually get to and I can't get to them.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine

Poil posted:

The new Hindu mechanics seem pretty fun so far too.

I read the patch notes and all these things make a lot more sense now. I was under the impression that I was dealing with India/Hindu specific mechanics (projection and rivals, fast annexing consuming diplomatic points, other stuff).

I have vanilla EU4, I don't see anything on Hindu mechanics - other than I am supposed to choose deities. I cant find where to select a deity in either the religion or monarch screen though. Where are you setting Hindu specific choices?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Crowns to the left of me, tribesmen to the right, stuck in the middle with Sioux.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kersch posted:

Sibir stretches from the Black Sea nearly to the Pacific.

I love that neither of those places is Crimea.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played since 1.2 or so. Somehow ironman saves take longer than CK2? Is this based on internet speed at all, or anyway to speed it up?

Also, can someone give me a quick run-down on what buildings are useful, other than manufactories?

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I haven't played since 1.2 or so. Somehow ironman saves take longer than CK2? Is this based on internet speed at all, or anyway to speed it up?

Also, can someone give me a quick run-down on what buildings are useful, other than manufactories?

I might be completely wrong on this but I've always felt manufactories weren't worth their cost. I would say that Temples/Armoury/Market place lines of buildings are the most important. Maybe docks if you feel like you need the Naval force limit.

I'm loving this improved AI in peace deals. In the middle of a huge European war against about 12 nations with just Venice and my vassals as my allies and it is giving me a province most of the time when I siege out a country. It has made the long regency a lot more tolerable.

Donald Duck fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 2, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Tsyni posted:

Ironman saves? You mean like the autosave part? Shouldn't take more than 3-5 seconds.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Donald Duck posted:

I might be completely wrong on this but I've always felt manufactories weren't worth their cost. I would say that Temples/Armoury/Market place lines of buildings are the most important. Maybe docks if you feel like you need the Naval force limit.

Manufacturies are always worth their cost, except maybe after 1750. Even the farm estates are good, and trade companies (manufactories for ivory, spices...) are worth every penny ten times over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Expansion is still great, probably not as first ideas though, I'd go with diplomatic to make some friends in Europe and try to score a union early on. Colonization is slower now so you don't need to rush to prevent Castile from taking Siberia, also pretty much all provinces there are now base tax 1, it's just not as profitable as before because of trade goods changes.
I'd say go
4 - diplomatic, take care of conquering and coring Novgorod and other Russians there
7 - expansion, only take colonist, don't put more in it before forming Russia and 11 admin
11 - take administrative to reduced coring cost
Complete expansion for colonial CB, take China and clear up central Asia for some good value Silk Road trade.
Completing administrative and expansion will give you policy for -15% coring cost(it does take 1 admin/month and stays active for at least 10 years, only flip it on for big conquests), between Russian ideas, making claims with your diplomats and administrative it's -80% coring cost. If you manage to get yourself into HRE emperorship and pass reforms it'll be -90%.
I also want religious to convert things faster to reduce revolt risks and size of nationalist rebels, but admin points are already stretched thin.

So, this made me think of something and I immediately went to go check on it. With this setup, the Ottomans would be able to reduce the cost of coring to 2% of normal.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tsyni posted:

Temples are practically required, most everything else is largely situational and should be fairly obvious (build military building for manpower herp derp). Probably the least useful/most situational chains are the government and naval chains, but given the right circumstances they still have their place. The government chain on your capital in particular might help against spies, since so many spy missions target the capital.

Worth noting is that the first two trade buildings can be very worthwhile if you're at all trade focused and/or have control over most or all of your primary collection node. A cheap, affordable boost in both trade power and trade value is not to be sneezed at.

Edit: Personally, once my economy is set up I tend to just buy whatever I have a surplus of monarch points for. What else am I gonna do with the money, anyways?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

goodness posted:

Ironman saves? You mean like the autosave part? Shouldn't take more than 3-5 seconds.

One out of twenty might take 3-5 seconds, but most take 20-30 seconds. It's pretty annoying. I am on satellite internet and have crappy upload, so I was wondering if that was a factor.

• Locked thread