Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Billy five aces couldn't fix the 49er in ten years have to do baby steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

So why'd the 49ers think chip kelly was going to be able to fix their dumpster fire? Especially after he took a playoff team and ran them into the ground with terrible personnel decisions?

He doesn't have personnel control there? :shrug:

I'd imagine they had a good idea they were going to be bad this year either way, despite there being no evidence that the 49ers are self-aware.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

rebel1608 posted:

Ok so Fox's show just showed us the end of the Dodgers game which involved a walkoff HR in the 10th and was Vin Scully's last game

And they talked all over the highlights while I could faintly hear Vin in the background

I know I can find that clip elsewhere but have some respect for the situation

i'm sorry i can't help it

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/780193011133210624

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

So why'd the 49ers think chip kelly was going to be able to fix their dumpster fire? Especially after he took a playoff team and ran them into the ground with terrible personnel decisions?

The owner and GM are both idiots. Also, Chip doesn't have absolute power over personnel like he had in Philly, so the hope was that he wouldn't be able to do that kind of damage.

The problem is that, in addition to being a lovely GM, he's also just an idea guy who doesn't know how to actually coach.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Asproigerosis posted:

He took a 4-12 team to back to back 10-6 seasons before he got given the keys to the car and totalled it on the drive out of the dealership

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

My guess: downing a punt is technically an illegal-touching penalty, just one without any actual consequences — normally. Except that you can't end a quarter on a penalty on the non-possessing (after the play) team, and apparently this illegal-touching special case isn't a special case to that, so the Chargers get awarded an untimed down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whose ready for some Cowboys to shoot some Bears?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I would believe a home run Vin :) I surely would.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Zoran posted:

Illegal touching is a spot foul, it's just never announced that way because it's so routine and usually doesn't matter

That is the dumbest thing ever

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

They probably didn't expect a turn around in the first 3 games of a complete teardown. The Eagles weren't a playoff team when Kelly arrived.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Fumbling into the end zone = turnover and touchback would like a word. Although I'm not sure what the solution is, just give the offensive team the ball back where the fumble happened?

A Rugby like scrum where the team tries to throw the ball in from the sideline would be fun.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Kelly didn't have control the first 2 years either, he went ham once he was able to get his greedy little sausages on the reigns.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Intruder posted:

It makes a lot of sense to punish the kicking team for touching the ball first by turning whatever happens afterwards into a free play. Sometimes this comes up when a punt bounces off a gunner and the returner is alert enough to try to pick it up, knowing nothing bad can happen.

If you punt at the end of the quarter into the field of play, you are conceding to the other team a chance to make a play with the ball, period. You can't stop them by being first to pick it up.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Fumbling into the end zone = turnover and touchback would like a word. Although I'm not sure what the solution is, just give the offensive team the ball back where the fumble happened?

A Rugby like scrum where the team tries to throw the ball in from the sideline would be fun.

I am imagining Edelman being thrown, like, fifteen feet in the air by a couple of lineman and simultaneously cackling with glee and wincing in sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's been a good week, folks. Someone make the SNF thread.

• Locked thread