Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WaywardWoodwose posted:

A genderswapped reboot just sounds like some internet fanfiction bullshit to me.
Like if someone scoured Tumblr all night just to say "Here's the best we got, Ghostbusters, BUT they're all women this time, or steampunk Ghostbusters".

It would make for an awesome tv series, but the reason the movies/cartoons/comics worked was because of how those 4 characters interacted with each other and the threats they faced. So they are going to have one hell of a problem getting a group of characters that are decidedly different (no Egon-lite characters or other "just like _ but a girl!") and still have the same kind of chemistry with one another.

It's possible though. It's also possible that the studio gets cold feet for resurrecting a long loved franchise with this set-up. I'm optimistic either way and am curious to see how this turns out. Im totally down with this setup if it means the franchise as a whole can move forward outside of a single awesome game and a good comic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

A genderswapped reboot just sounds like some internet fanfiction bullshit to me.
Like if someone scoured Tumblr all night just to say "Here's the best we got, Ghostbusters, BUT they're all women this time, or steampunk Ghostbusters".

After reading the EW interview with Feig earlier that's pretty much what happened.

Paul Feig posted:

Then I had lunch with [Sony Pictures co-chairman] Amy Pascal when I got back to town. She was just saying, gosh, nobody wants to do this. I said, yeah, it’s really hard to take that on, especially since it’s 25 years later. how do you come back into a world that’s had these ghosts and all this? It just felt too difficult. How do you do it and not screw it up? But then it was bugging me for the next few days because Ghostbusters is such a great thing and everybody knows it, and it’s such a great world. It’s a shame to just let this thing sit there. I want to see another one. My favorite thing to do is work with funny women. I was like, what if it was an all female cast? If they were all women?

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I'll keep an open mind about it until Melissa McCarthy is revealed in the official cast, then it will be dead to me.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

quote:

How do you come back into a world that’s had these ghosts and all this? It just felt too difficult.

Haha, this movie's gonna blow.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The thing is it's Ghostbusters, they don't need to explain anything or set anything up. Have the main character answer a job advert or just stumble into a job as a Ghostbuster. Establish relationships then set up your big bad boss. We don't need to see 3/4 friends come up with the Ghostbuster idea. That would be the fastest, best way to do it I think.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A reboot could still include events from the original story. The four girls could answer an ad put out by Dan Akroyd or something.

Eh, this is probably gonna suck.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ehud posted:

A reboot could still include events from the original story. The four girls could answer an ad put out by Dan Akroyd or something.

Eh, this is probably gonna suck.

That's a sequel, not a reboot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PriorMarcus posted:

That's a sequel, not a reboot.

You can reboot a series and still be tied to the original in some way. Star Trek is a good example with the way they incorporated Spock.

Maybe it's just a matter of defining reboot. I see reboot as a drastic change in a movie or TV series that is meant to be a fresh start. They could acknowledge the events of the original series and even have some cameos but still reboot the series. It would be like a passing of the torch but from that point forward it's essentially a new series that focuses on different characters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ehud posted:

You can reboot a series and still be tied to the original in some way. Star Trek is a good example with the way they incorporated Spock.

Maybe it's just a matter of defining reboot. I see reboot as a drastic change in a movie or TV series that is meant to be a fresh start. They could acknowledge the events of the original series and even have some cameos but still reboot the series. It would be like a passing of the torch but from that point forward it's essentially a new series that focuses on different characters.

The key sticking point is that everyone knows ghosts exist (again, minus GB2 silliness).

An easy way around this would be to set this new film in a different city (LA, for example) but I don't know how well people would enjoy that.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Posting this to clarify as some people seem to have missed or misunderstood this part of Feig's interview:

Entertainment Weekly posted:

PAUL FEIG: It’s not coming into the world that existed before. It’s always hard if the world has gone through this big ghost attack, how do you do it again? I wanted to come into our world where there’s talk of ghosts but they’re not really credible, and so what would happen in our world if this happened today?

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So in the universe that you conceived, it’s like the world of the first two movies didn’t exist?

PAUL FEIG: Yeah.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Avril Lavigne posted:

Posting this to clarify as some people seem to have missed or misunderstood this part of Feig's interview:

So, Ghostbusters 3 will be a reboot and an origin story? Oh boy :(

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
The chances of any movie getting the chemistry between four leading characters just right is very low but not impossible, obviously. The chances of anyone doing so within a good Ghostbusters reboot is infinitesimal.

Also, as others have mentioned, I'm very concerned with potential casting choices. It feel like they need to throw a "serious actor" in there somewhere who can also be funny.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Maybe they can reanimate Chris Farely and John Candy and we can turn this into a nightmarish metaproject about dragging something back to life after it's been dead.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
With all of the stupid ghost hunter-type TV shows they could use that as a premise. Fake-reality TV show group all of a sudden finds that ghosts really DO exist and of course nobody believes them because those shows are all made up poo poo.

I'll take a writing credit and 2 million dollars, thanks.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scroto Baggins posted:

So, Ghostbusters 3 will be a reboot and an origin story? Oh boy :(

At least this way I can give no shits. I have absolutely no interest in a reboot. Not to mention it sounds like a hilariously awful pitch, "it's like x only with y!"

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Can we start a fan campaign right now?

Women, great
Reboot, terrible

Signed, Everybody

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

hhhat posted:

Can we start a fan campaign right now?

Women, great
Reboot, terrible

Signed, Everybody

Yeah, this whole thing sounds incredibly pointless. Ghostbusters in the vaguest sense possible.

I still doubt it will even get made.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SubponticatePoster posted:

With all of the stupid ghost hunter-type TV shows they could use that as a premise. Fake-reality TV show group all of a sudden finds that ghosts really DO exist and of course nobody believes them because those shows are all made up poo poo.

I'll take a writing credit and 2 million dollars, thanks.

Supernatural already did it and it was amazing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why not just get a cast that you think would be funniest together? Why does it have to specifically be all women? Make it 2 girls and 2 guys and don't throw in any romance poo poo. This news would be just as bizarre if the director said "Im going to make a GB3 with an all male cast"

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 9, 2014

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Nobody willing to watch "Ghostbusters 3" wants a world where there was no marshmallow man or Slimer.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cage posted:

Why not just get a cast that you think would be funniest together? Why does it have to specifically be all women? Make it 2 girls and 2 guys and don't throw in any romance poo poo. This news would be just as bizarre if the director said "Im going to make a GB3 with an all male cast"

I have no idea. Probably because they don't actually have a story. It is just "hey, Ghostbusters reboot but with women!" "What is the story you have in mind?" "We'll figure it out later."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

computer parts posted:

Ghostfacers and Grave Encounters are both pretty good.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
This will die in preproduction. Almost all of the feedback has been negative, so far. No one legitimately wants that movie.

...right?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

This will die in preproduction. Almost all of the feedback has been negative, so far. No one legitimately wants that movie.

...right?

A couple of people on my Facebook are excited about it, but that's all I've seen.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

Aw poo poo. Ok, I'll accept a million since there's no such thing as an original idea anyway.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

They should just do an all-female reboot of Evolution. Then have that cross over with a sequel to The Watch, leading into a reboot of Men In Black.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Paul Feig posted:

It’s always hard

If your creative decisions are chosen because the alternative is too hard, you may not belong in a creative field.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

...right?

I think it sounds interesting. Depends on the cast.

Also it's already pissed off nerds, so that's one point in its favour already.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

all those nerds who dont want a lovely movie to be made.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
I made this:

https://www.change.org/p/sony-pictures-say-no-to-an-all-female-ghostbusters

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Its gonna turn out that they get their equipment and know-how from an alternate dimension Ray Stantz who's somehow been stranded in their reality.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Soulwrangler posted:

Its gonna turn out that they get their equipment and know-how from an alternate dimension Ray Stantz who's somehow been stranded in their reality.

I love it!
*gives $1 million*

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Aleph Null posted:

I love it!
*gives $1 million*

you're the best, Amy Pascal.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Again, I think make Ghostbusters a tv show and you are golden.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Again, I think make Ghostbusters a tv show and you are golden.

We had the cartoon- that's really all we need.

If it were live action, the cast of Brooklyn 99 would be a good fit I think.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

We had the cartoon- that's really all we need.

If it were live action, the cast of Brooklyn 99 would be a good fit I think.

The new writer/director has a point somewhat. It's hard to write around the fact that people in the GB's universe know that ghosts and phantasms and spooks exist as a movie. I feel like a TV show works better because you can do a MotW and a big overarching plot.

Also, I have a huge worry that a new movie would be a HUGE CGI fest. There is a beauty in GB that it was puppets and live acting.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

The new writer/director has a point somewhat. It's hard to write around the fact that people in the GB's universe know that ghosts and phantasms and spooks exist as a movie.

Who cares if they know?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I'm in support of an all-girl ghostbusters team. Hopefully it will force them to do something different if they're not inspired to do anything else.
Maybe they'll somehow change the proton packs to be more yonic.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
It also bugs me that Feig has issues with working in a world that has had three decades of proof concerning an actual afterlife but also another afterlife that is actively trying to gently caress with hummanity. Definitely no story there, let alone the potential for franchise possibilities beyond their wildest dreams.

jokes aside there's definitely something under the surface. Feig's not stupid. I'm not entirely sure but in the EW interview with Feig he puts a timeframe on when he was approached to take over Ghostbusters and he cites knowing during Comic-Con of this year. I bet they're a bit further ahead than they're letting on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

:goonsay:

Get over yourself.

As for the project? I'm very happy, I'm very pleased. I want them to go down there and get right on it!

• Locked thread