Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

pisshead posted:

What do you mean? The USA is a respectable team, capable of giving anyone a game and did no worse than England at the world cup. And did better than some major powers in 2002.

They were ranked behind England in a world cup that was utterly embarrassing for England but the US appear to be pleased with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
usmnt might be poo poo, but i'll be damned if I don't love watching them play. At the very least you can't say they don't work hard...

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
As an Englishman who's seen both play a few times (live. Dozens of times on TV) I'd rate Brad Freidel above Tim Howard any day of the week. Brad in his prime was a world class goalkeeper, and it's a crime that he never went to a top 4 club. Tim is a premiership standard keeper, but nothing special.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's not really a crime though is it? Nobody is going to go to jail for it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Pissflaps posted:

It's not really a crime though is it? Nobody is going to go to jail for it.

By your reasoning it is perfectly justifiable to be a London Man U fan.

Although I am considering running for parliament on a "Gaol plastics" ticket.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Masonity posted:

Brad in his prime was a world class goalkeeper, and it's a crime that he never went to a top 4 club.

He did actually.

Unless you meant this as a burn on Liverpool or something.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Masonity posted:

Brad in his prime was a world class goalkeeper, and it's a crime that he never went to a top 4 club.

what

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
Keegan signed Friedel when Newcastle were on the up, but he didn't have the caps for a work permit. Maybe that's the chance he had for a big club right there.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Masonity posted:

As an Englishman who's seen both play a few times (live. Dozens of times on TV) I'd rate Brad Freidel above Tim Howard any day of the week. Brad in his prime was a world class goalkeeper, and it's a crime that he never went to a top 4 club. Tim is a premiership standard keeper, but nothing special.

Who is Kezman/Blackburn never won the Premiership.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I actually didn't realise he spent some time as backup at Liverpool before he went to Blackburn. It was at Blackburn that he caught my eye as a top keeper.

It's actually pretty embarrassing, as 1996-2004 was my football prime, when I'd go to every Arsenal game (home and abroad), watch the other teams on TV constantly and talk about nothing else with my school friends.

For a couple of years at blackburn I thought he was quite possibly the best keeper in the Premier League. I'll never forget the game at highbury when his shoulder popped out of it's socket before a game, but he still single handedly kept a clean sheet even though we ripped his defence to pieces time and time again.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Friedel had to leave Liverpool for Rovers to win trophies :laugh:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

delicious beef posted:

Who is Kezman/Blackburn never won the Premiership.

1) Blackburn did, in fact, win the Premiership. One of only four teams to have done so. It was just before Brad's time.

2) Howard being backup keeper at United when they won the league doesn't make him world class. Or better than Brad. By that reckoning Dwight Yorke was a better striker than Alan Shearer back in 1999, seeing as United won the treble with Yorke while Shearer won nothing.

3) Kezman is Batman.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Masonity posted:

1) Blackburn did, in fact, win the Premiership. One of only four teams to have done so. It was just before Brad's time.

I'm sorry but I find this all extremely difficult to believe.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Masonity posted:

2) Howard being backup keeper at United when they won the league doesn't make him world class. Or better than Brad. By that reckoning Dwight Yorke was a better striker than Alan Shearer back in 1999, seeing as United won the treble with Yorke while Shearer won nothing.

3) Kezman is Batman.

I don't think you got my post, I was referring to two pieces of TRP lore that your 'Friedel wasn't at a top 4 club' is similar to.

Also Yorke was a better striker than Alan Shearer in 1999.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I wonder if in a few years "Arsenal never won the Premiership" will be a meme

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Robert Patrick posted:

I wonder if in a few years "Arsenal never won the Premiership" will be a meme

You mean when we win it every year by default, as the other 19 teams are deducted 9 points of going into administration and have to sell any players that happen to perform?

Arsenal, winning the Balance Sheet Title every year since 2005!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

liverpool fc have never won the premiership

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
EDIT: oops

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Taff posted:

because getting paid 180k a week and taking home 180k a week are two different things?

I think in context we were simply talking about player wages, not making any point about after-tax income.
Not the first time I've heard "220k/week? The Sun is so full of poo poo, that's crazy! I think he's on 180k/week..."

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Masonity posted:

he went to Liverpool as intended first choice but was utter, utter poo poo and was their least reliable keeper during the 'Calamity James' era. Could not deal with crosses to save his life.

given that Landon Donovan's club career at the top level amounts to about five good games for Everton, you have to ask questions about the mental weakness of the best American players. This culture of failure is holding them back

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

he went to Liverpool as intended first choice but was utter, utter poo poo and was their least reliable keeper during the 'Calamity James' era. Could not deal with crosses to save his life.

given that Landon Donovan's club career at the top level amounts to about five good games for Everton, you have to ask questions about the mental weakness of the best American players. This culture of failure is holding them back

good troll, and funny too

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So Leeds were being investigated because after an inquiry, no one could figure out who the gently caress owns the club. What happens? Ken Bates has magically become the majority shareholder of the club! That whole ordeal was extremely fishy.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Akileese posted:

So Leeds were being investigated because after an inquiry, no one could figure out who the gently caress owns the club. What happens? Ken Bates has magically become the majority shareholder of the club! That whole ordeal was extremely fishy.

Bates inherited the shares after the untimely death of the owner on Sunday night

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Accidentally brutally cut his head off whilst shaving.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So if Leeds miss out on promotion are they stuffed?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

MoPZiG posted:

So if Leeds miss out on promotion are they stuffed?

nah

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
seriously though folks, gently caress Ken Bates

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

SteadfastMeat posted:

nah

If they miss out on promotion this year, how sustainable is the current transfer policy at Leeds right now? From what I remember reading in this forum, it sounds like they have taken on a decent number of players on loan from EPL teams and have otherwise spent in a way to make promotion happen pretty soon.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

TyChan posted:

If they miss out on promotion this year, how sustainable is the current transfer policy at Leeds right now? From what I remember reading in this forum, it sounds like they have taken on a decent number of players on loan from EPL teams and have otherwise spent in a way to make promotion happen pretty soon.

Out of all the players we brought in on loan only McCartney and Lichaj have been what you'd call first-team players, and Watt and Livermore are mostly there in case of injury. We have money available to spend on players, we just don't because Bates is a stingy bastard. The youth prospects are sort of meh (the last really good one was Delph probably) but there are a few young players who can do a job for the senior team (Clayton, White and maybe Lees, he's played pretty well for Bury this season apparently) so it's not completely catastrophic or anything. Ideally I'd like less of a reliance on loans but as long as there's a way for us to bring in players for cheap it's probably not going to happen

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I can't help but live up to stereotype...

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1068601/how-ian-ayre-transformed-liverpool

Here's an interview with Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre talking about what the club is doing to make itself more profitable and a more global brand. I found the fact that he needed to add in staff (as opposed to cutting middle management fat) to be really interesting. Also, it seems like Liverpool's profile has been high despite the complacent actions and attitudes of the previous boards.

How he addresses the inevitable cultural conflict that comes with trying to stay a big club while being true to the roots of the club is also pretty interesting.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 5, 2011

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
It might work out for Leeds with Ken Bates but you are playing with fire having a man like him in charge of a club, especially one that can quite easily be a consistent top half EPL side with just some right management.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Oh Em Gee posted:

It might work out for Leeds with Ken Bates but you are playing with fire having a man like him in charge of a club, especially one that can quite easily be a consistent top half EPL side with just some right management.

and about 6 new players minimum

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

BunnyX posted:

and about 6 new players minimum

I reckon they'll just want to survive the first few years and then slowly build up the Leeds *snort* brand.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Oh Em Gee posted:

He's clearly been in charge the entire time.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Jollzwhin posted:

He's clearly been in charge the entire time.

yep, the circumstances of his "new" ownership are really shady

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
He's proved that if you go through enough dummy corporations and then maybe pretend to have a ferrari you can own a football team

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I'm a bit behind on my scummy owner history. Why couldn't Bates have just bought Leeds outright without hiding himself behind so many layers? Does it suggest that Leeds has another enormous debtload or is this more about Bates being able to hide behind multiple layers of limited liability structures?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I didnt even think Bates could own another club actually.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TyChan posted:

I'm a bit behind on my scummy owner history. Why couldn't Bates have just bought Leeds outright without hiding himself behind so many layers? Does it suggest that Leeds has another enormous debtload or is this more about Bates being able to hide behind multiple layers of limited liability structures?

the guardian keep asking questions like that and are now banned from Elland Road

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/leedsunited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

TyChan posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-Dreams-Souring-British-Football/dp/0743440331

read this book, apply his usual strategies to the Leeds situation, take some time to compose yourself on realising he hadn't been blackballed from football forever decades ago :)

• Locked thread