Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

obscurer en tut posted:

But what's the Spanish-sounding language?

He was calling a phone line meant for phone company technicians in Montreal. What could that Spanish-sounding language ever have been?

It's French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
Who put Bella in the Wych-Elm?

There's a better write-up here. Short version: a woman is found dead, stuffed in a tree, with her hand chopped off and buried nearby. The police aren't able to identify her or any suspects. The case pretty much hits a dead end until graffiti pops up in a nearby town asking the above question. The police continue to be unable to solve anything, though theories range from witchcraft to WWII espionage. The graffiti continued to show up in the local area up until 1999.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Phone Phreaking was a vital skill in the early days of computer subculture. Cracked C64 games (or whoever) would frequently have various BBS numbers to dial; if you couldn't get free long distance, dialing into one of those BBSs was hella expensive.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I thought it was pretty much established that they went to live with the natives? Like no we do not have 100% proof that they're not partying with the Greys on planet Xarblat, but there was a local tribe called the Croatan, and there were tons of reports in the following years of "English captives" in the local native tribes. (They weren't necessarily captives, tons of people throughout the colonial period used to run away to join the local tribes, who were in general more egalitarian and had a higher standard of living than the settlers. It was especially common among slaves and military deserters.)

Yeah, there's really no evidence whatsoever that they were abducted, but lack of evidence doesn't tend to stop abduction theorists.

There's slightly more evidence of the colonists dying in an attempt to return to England, as well as there being a little bit for relocating the camp, but while they hold more water than alien abduction theories, that's not exactly difficult.

It's pretty safe to assume they integrated with the native population, as that theory has the most evidence in it's favor. The only creepy thing about the story in my opinion is putting yourself in the mindset of the explorers returning after three years to find the village completely deserted with no signs of struggle or evacuation due to emergency. Considering the fact that there's still a handful people living in Pripyat, even after the Chernobyl disaster, a village being completely abandoned without a trace* as to specifically why would be kind of creepy at the time.

*according to the limited understanding at the time of how to find out about things like this

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

Yeah, there's really no evidence whatsoever that they were abducted, but lack of evidence doesn't tend to stop abduction theorists.

There's slightly more evidence of the colonists dying in an attempt to return to England, as well as there being a little bit for relocating the camp, but while they hold more water than alien abduction theories, that's not exactly difficult.

It's pretty safe to assume they integrated with the native population, as that theory has the most evidence in it's favor. The only creepy thing about the story in my opinion is putting yourself in the mindset of the explorers returning after three years to find the village completely deserted with no signs of struggle or evacuation due to emergency. Considering the fact that there's still a handful people living in Pripyat, even after the Chernobyl disaster, a village being completely abandoned without a trace* as to specifically why would be kind of creepy at the time.

*according to the limited understanding at the time of how to find out about things like this

There's no way anybody's still in Pripyat. That place is so heavily irradiated that you'd get radiation sickness and be dead in a week. They make visitors wear dosimeter badges and give them strict time limits for when to leave so that they don't get sick.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

There's slightly more evidence of the colonists dying in an attempt to return to England

I hadn't heard about this. Did they still have a ship or did they try to build one or what?

quote:

The only creepy thing about the story in my opinion is putting yourself in the mindset of the explorers returning after three years to find the village completely deserted with no signs of struggle or evacuation due to emergency.

Agreed. It's pretty easy to sit here 400 years later and talk about how dumb those guys are for expecting nothing to change in 3 years, but it would've been creepy as hell at the time, I'm sure.

And I wasn't trying to imply you believed they were abducted or anything, that was tongue in cheek. I bet if I looked I could find that crazy-haired stoner dude from Ancient Aliens saying they were though!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Jack Gladney posted:

There's no way anybody's still in Pripyat. That place is so heavily irradiated that you'd get radiation sickness and be dead in a week. They make visitors wear dosimeter badges and give them strict time limits for when to leave so that they don't get sick.

There are people still living on the outskirts of the exclusion zone, and people involved in managing the area can live there for a weeks at a time. As you get closer to the reactor access gets tighter and your allowed to spend less time. Pripyat is right near the reactor, no one lives there.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
BSAA Star Dust accident

On August 2nd, 1947, an airliner flying from Buenos Aires to Santiago went missing. The last transmission from the airplane made it famous:

quote:

The last Morse code message sent by Star Dust was "ETA SANTIAGO 17.45 HRS STENDEC".[11] The Chilean Air Force radio operator at the Santiago airport described this transmission as coming in "loud and clear" but very fast; as he did not recognise the last word, he requested clarification and heard "STENDEC" repeated twice in succession before contact with the aircraft was lost.[19][20] This word has not been definitively explained and has given rise to much speculation—including suggestions (made before the wreckage was finally discovered) that the aircraft and those aboard could have been the victims of a UFO encounter.[11]

The staff of the BBC television series Horizon—which presented an episode in 2000 on the Star Dust disappearance—received hundreds of messages from viewers proposing explanations of STENDEC. These included suggestions that the radio operator, possibly suffering from hypoxia, had scrambled the word DESCENT (of which STENDEC is an anagram); that STENDEC may have been the initials of some obscure phrase; or that the airport radio operator had misheard the Morse code transmission despite its reportedly having been repeated multiple times. The Horizon staff concluded that, with the possible exception of some misunderstanding based on Morse code, none of these proposed solutions was plausible.[11] In the absence of new clues, the meaning of STENDEC is likely to remain a mystery.[6][21]

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

If there's one thing aside from horrible murders and serial killers that this thread needs its the crippling existential fear caused by the scale of the Universe .

This is an incredibly scary wikipedia page (or beautiful, if you like). The fact that the observable universe is different from the universe in that:

"It simply indicates that it is possible in principle for light or other signals from the object to reach an observer on Earth."

Goes so far beyond "man's humble place in the universe" that it moves into unknowable horrors of the beyond. It is brain meltingly difficult to get your mind around the sheer scale of the terms used in the article, but if you can grasp even the smallest bit, it's like being in a dark room, alone, cold and naked.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I find all that pretty comforting, honestly. It's a pretty human thing to assume we're somehow special or that life or the Universe must have a meaning but yeah guess what, on any scale beyond our own solar system we mean absolutely nothing and never will and the only meaning life in the Universe has is what you give it. In a few billion years where Earth once hung there will be nothing but dust. Even if we make out of here, in a few googols or whatever, the last remaining black hole will evaporate and hey ho, an eternity of nothingness.

Have a nice day :buddy:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Stare-Out posted:

I find all that pretty comforting, honestly. It's a pretty human thing to assume we're somehow special or that life or the Universe must have a meaning but yeah guess what, on any scale beyond our own solar system we mean absolutely nothing and never will and the only meaning life in the Universe has is what you give it. In a few billion years where Earth once hung there will be nothing but dust. Even if we make out of here, in a few googols or whatever, the last remaining black hole will evaporate and hey ho, an eternity of nothingness.

Reminds me of The Last Question by Isaac Asimov - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question

You can read the full version here - http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lenoon posted:

If there's one thing aside from horrible murders and serial killers that this thread needs its the crippling existential fear caused by the scale of the Universe .

This is an incredibly scary wikipedia page (or beautiful, if you like). The fact that the observable universe is different from the universe in that:

"It simply indicates that it is possible in principle for light or other signals from the object to reach an observer on Earth."

Goes so far beyond "man's humble place in the universe" that it moves into unknowable horrors of the beyond. It is brain meltingly difficult to get your mind around the sheer scale of the terms used in the article, but if you can grasp even the smallest bit, it's like being in a dark room, alone, cold and naked.

Just think of Sagan: "We are a way for the Cosmos, to know itself."

I've never really understood the fear aspect that some people have of our universe. It's an immense place, but that sense of scale triggers a sense of wonder in me, not fear. Joy that we as a species are able to grasp even the tiny sliver we can observe, not horror at the immensity of it.

You can see it when you have a discussion about astronomy with someone completely ignorant on the subject. When you get to any kind of meaningful distances, like Sol to Alpha Proxima, oftentimes they'll look down, or try to change the subject, clearly uncomfortable with if.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

quote:

The Total Perspective Vortex

Since every piece of matter in the Universe is in someway affected by every other piece of matter in the Universe, it is in theory possible to extrapolate the whole of creation - every Galaxy, every sun, every planet, their orbits, their composition, and their economic and social history from, say, one small piece of fairy cake. When you are put into the Vortex you are given just one momentary glimpse of the entire unimaginable infinity of creation, and somewhere in it a tiny little mark, a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot, which says, "You are here."

The Total Perspective Vortex was invented by Trin Tragula. Trin Tragula was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. She would nag him incessantly about the utterly inordinate amount of time he spent staring out into space, or mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, or doing spectrographic analyses of pieces of fairy cake.

“Have some sense of proportion!” she would say, sometimes as often as thirty-eight times in a single day.

And so he built the Total Perspective Vortex, just to show her. Into one end he plugged the whole of reality (as extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake) and into the other end he plugged his wife: so that when he turned it on she saw in one instant the whole infinity of creation and herself in relation to it.

To Trin Tragula’s horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had conclusively proved that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is... a sense of proportion."

Footnote:
Later, the Total Perspective Vortex was used as a form of capital punishment on the Planet Frogstar B. Ex-president Zaphod Beeblebrox was the only person to survive, supposedly because his ego was larger than the entire universe. He concluded his visit by eating the fairycake.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Just think of Sagan: "We are a way for the Cosmos, to know itself."

I've never really understood the fear aspect that some people have of our universe. It's an immense place, but that sense of scale triggers a sense of wonder in me, not fear. Joy that we as a species are able to grasp even the tiny sliver we can observe, not horror at the immensity of it.
That's the great thing, what luck that we're a species that can not just observe and (try to) understand the Universe, but to see the wonder in it and of it. To experience awe. "We are a way for the Cosmos, to admire itself" works too. Sure it's vast but hey, more to explore. If only the powers that be agreed on that a bit more often.

MrYenko posted:

You can see it when you have a discussion about astronomy with someone completely ignorant on the subject. When you get to any kind of meaningful distances, like Sol to Alpha Proxima, oftentimes they'll look down, or try to change the subject, clearly uncomfortable with if.
I wonder if it's some kind of egocentrism or not being uncomfortable with the distances themselves but with the fact that we live in Universe that's completely indifferent about our doings, opinions and ultimate fates. We couldn't be less the center of the Universe; we're not the center of the solar system, our solar system isn't the center of our galaxy, our galaxy is not the center of our local group, etc. We're not here for some purpose, we just are because we are. That bums people out for some reason.

Brother Jonathan posted:

From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
I should probably get around to reading that one of these days.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stare-Out posted:

I should probably get around to reading that one of these days.

Stop what you are doing, go to Amazon, iBooks, whatever, and get it.

...And pretend the rest of the series was never written.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Astronomical distances don't upset me much. But astronomical timelines?

quote:

100,000 years from now: Earth will likely have undergone a supervolcanic eruption large enough to erupt 400 km3 of magma.
250,000 years from now: Lōʻihi, the youngest volcano in the Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain, rises above the surface of the ocean and becomes a new volcanic island.
500,000 years from now: Earth will have likely been hit by a meteorite of roughly 1 km in diameter, assuming it cannot be averted.
1 million years from now: Earth will likely have undergone a supervolcanic eruption large enough to erupt 3,200 km3 of magma; an event comparable to the Toba supereruption 75,000 years ago.

For reference, humans have been around for 200,000 years (depending on who you ask, and how you define modern humans.) The future of humanity looks pretty dicey.

Let's jump a lot farther into Earth's future:

quote:

800 million years from now: Carbon dioxide levels fall to the point at which C4 photosynthesis is no longer possible. Multicellular life dies out.
1 billion years from now: The Sun's luminosity has increased by 10 percent, causing Earth's surface temperatures to reach an average of ~320 K (47°C, 116°F). The atmosphere will become a "moist greenhouse", resulting in a runaway evaporation of the oceans. Pockets of water may still be present at the poles, allowing abodes for simple life.
1.3 billion years from now: Eukaryotic life dies out due to carbon dioxide starvation. Only prokaryotes remain.
1.5–1.6 billion years from now: The Sun's increasing luminosity causes its circumstellar habitable zone to move outwards; as carbon dioxide increases in Mars's atmosphere, its surface temperature rises to levels akin to Earth during the ice age.
2.3 billion years from now: The Earth's outer core freezes, if the inner core continues to grow at its current rate of 1 mm per year. Without its liquid outer core, the Earth's magnetic field shuts down, and charged particles emanating from the Sun strip away the ozone layer, which protects the Earth from harmful ultraviolet rays.
2.8 billion years from now: Earth's surface temperature, even at the poles, reaches an average of ~420 K (147°C, 296°F). At this point life, now reduced to unicellular colonies in isolated, scattered microenvironments such as high-altitude lakes or subsurface caves, will completely die out.

So things are not looking good for humanity. But what if we get off of the Earth, and find somewhere else to live?

quote:

3×10^43 years from now: Estimated time for all nucleons in the observable Universe to decay, if the proton half-life takes the largest possible value, 1041 years, assuming that the Big Bang was inflationary and that the same process that made baryons predominate over anti-baryons in the early Universe makes protons decay. By this time, if protons do decay, the Black Hole Era, in which black holes are the only remaining celestial objects, begins.
10^65 years from now: Assuming that protons do not decay, estimated time for rigid objects like rocks to rearrange their atoms and molecules via quantum tunneling. On this timescale all matter is liquid.

Everything is temporary. The pyramids, Shakespeare, your favorite songs, fresh baked bread, religious traditions that stretch across thousands of years. One day, none of these will exist, and no one will be there to remember them.

wafflesnsegways has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 7, 2013

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Assuming our current ideas about how all that will happen is accurate and we don't discover any breakthroughs in physics that relate to the whole entropy thing between now and 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000AD.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I'm more upset about the fact that I'll be dead for the vast majority of that time than anything else.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm more upset about the fact that I'll be dead for the vast majority of that time than anything else.
You've already been dead for quite some time. We all have. And will be again. It's the bit in between that's pretty nice and no point spending that being upset.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Stop what you are doing, go to Amazon, iBooks, whatever, and get it.

...And pretend the rest of the series was never written.

Really? I'd skip the unofficial sequel by Eoin Colfer, but I read the whole series multiple times growing up and I enjoy each one immensely.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ezzer posted:

Really? I'd skip the unofficial sequel by Eoin Colfer, but I read the whole series multiple times growing up and I enjoy each one immensely.

They're ok in their own right, but don't measure up to the original.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

I wonder if it's some kind of egocentrism or not being uncomfortable with the distances themselves but with the fact that we live in Universe that's completely indifferent about our doings, opinions and ultimate fates. We couldn't be less the center of the Universe; we're not the center of the solar system, our solar system isn't the center of our galaxy, our galaxy is not the center of our local group, etc. We're not here for some purpose, we just are because we are. That bums people out for some reason.

One of the central tenets of several religions is that humanity is special. God chose us. He made us on purpose and gives not only our entire race purpose but individual people purpose. You matter in the grand scheme of things. Imagine spending your whole life growing up and being told that you are a special thing created for a special reason and will affect reality itself in a special way. You were put here on purpose to leave a mark on existence that will endure forever. You, individually, are completely separate from all other creation because you are special. The universe will tie itself into knots just so you can do That Thing You Were Meant To Do. An omnipotent, immortal, all powerful being picked you personally out of every loving thing in the universe to do something special.

Contrast that with "you're a clever ape that just happened to evolve on a ball of rock orbiting a kind of small-ish star that isn't really near anything of any consequence. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, many of which probably have like a dozen planets or so. The observable universe, as in, the part that we're pretty sure exists, is so unfathomably large. Oh by the way, even if you outlive the oldest person ever you'll still see such an infinitely small portion of all time that you might as well never have existed in the first place. Here's the Pale Blue Dot. That tiny little blue speck is Earth. You might never leave it." Some people just can't handle the idea that they're a smelly, hairy ape living a relatively inconsequential life, as far as reality is concerned.

But yeah, I'm a follower of a more "you're part of the universe, just be" school of thought. I'm alive. I'm going to live a life for that, if for no other reason. Being alive is reason enough.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the central tenets of several religions is that humanity is special. God chose us. He made us on purpose and gives not only our entire race purpose but individual people purpose. You matter in the grand scheme of things. Imagine spending your whole life growing up and being told that you are a special thing created for a special reason and will affect reality itself in a special way. You were put here on purpose to leave a mark on existence that will endure forever. You, individually, are completely separate from all other creation because you are special. The universe will tie itself into knots just so you can do That Thing You Were Meant To Do. An omnipotent, immortal, all powerful being picked you personally out of every loving thing in the universe to do something special.

Contrast that with "you're a clever ape that just happened to evolve on a ball of rock orbiting a kind of small-ish star that isn't really near anything of any consequence. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, many of which probably have like a dozen planets or so. The observable universe, as in, the part that we're pretty sure exists, is so unfathomably large. Oh by the way, even if you outlive the oldest person ever you'll still see such an infinitely small portion of all time that you might as well never have existed in the first place. Here's the Pale Blue Dot. That tiny little blue speck is Earth. You might never leave it." Some people just can't handle the idea that they're a smelly, hairy ape living a relatively inconsequential life, as far as reality is concerned.

But yeah, I'm a follower of a more "you're part of the universe, just be" school of thought. I'm alive. I'm going to live a life for that, if for no other reason. Being alive is reason enough.
That's a good way to put it. It's a question of whether you believe that everything that happened to make you exist happened so you'd exist, or you exist because these things happened. It's humbling to go with the latter (as I do) but it doesn't mean a person's existence can't be special, it can, but only up to a certain point and only if they make it special.

We are apes, sure, but we're the most advanced (as we measure it) species we've ever known to have existed. And we have the capability to understand our existence and that of the entire Universe. That's pretty cool on its own.

E: Rats, forgot completely that this is the Wikipedia thread. :(

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
In the end it's really more frustrating that we can never see it all or even actually know how big the universe is, it could be infinite for all we know. I was actually kinda pissed the first time I read about the observable universe vs the actual universe.

Though the fact there will be a point where every sky is devoid of stars is unnerving.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MrYenko posted:

They're ok in their own right, but don't measure up to the original.
I'd say they're all fine up to Life, the Universe, and Everything. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish is where it starts getting wobbly, and Mostly Harmless was just depressing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's probably been posted before but I haven't seen it in a while, and it's spooky as hell:

The Felix Moncla disappearance

Basically, the Air Force detects an unidentified radar blip and dispatches a jet to check it out. They watch as the radar blip of the jet and the unidentified radar blip "merge" and assume that one flew under the other and would come out the other side momentarily.

Then the blip just disappears. The plane was never found.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Oct 8, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It's probably been posted before but I haven't seen it in a while, and it's spooky as hell:

The Felix Moncla disappearance

Basically, the Air Force detects an unidentified radar blip and dispatches a jet to check it out. They watch as the radar blip of the jet and the unidentified radar blip "merge" and assume that one flew under the other and would come out the other side momentarily.

Then the blip just disappears. The plane was never found.

That reminds me of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_Disappearance

A young pilot reports seeing a thing that matches his speed and hovers over him. They fly about for a bit and eventually he says "that's not an aircraft." Eventually there was a recording of "metallic, scraping sounds" and then nothing. The guy and the plane were never found.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I'd say they're all fine up to Life, the Universe, and Everything. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish is where it starts getting wobbly, and Mostly Harmless was just depressing.

Really, the Radio show and BBC TV adaptation are the best iterations.

To contribute, here's the wikipedia article on PayPal Cofounder Keith Rabois. It doesn't seem unnerving at first, but give it a couple looks. The gist is that Peter Thiel and Elon Musk liked Rabois because of a drunken meltdown where he shouted outside the home of a lecturer. He called said lecturer a "human being" and suggested that he "Die of AIDS", and this made Rabois seem more attractive to Thiel (and later Musk) because he wasn't 'Politically Correct'. Because obviously not calling people faggots is the biggest character flaw of all.

Flash forward to the present day. Thiel founded Palantir, a security firm best known for drafting plans to smear Wikileaks on false grounds, and Musk is basically revered as a tech hero and prophet of the new age thanks to Tesla and his stumping for Trains and Space. It's troubling because of what it says about people who are nominally heroes. It's unnerving, I think, because it suggests that the tech wunderkind are actually regressive freaks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Republican Vampire posted:

It's unnerving, I think, because it suggests that the tech wunderkind are actually regressive freaks.

I mean sure he's a terrible person but "nerds are terrible, terrible people" is hardly news. I mean look at Steve Jobs and his abandoned son.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean sure he's a terrible person but "nerds are terrible, terrible people" is hardly news. I mean look at Steve Jobs and his abandoned son.

The issue isn't so much that they're terrible people so much as that, like Steve Jobs, they're terrible people whose terribleness is largely forgotten. Musk especially, since he's today mostly known for Tesla, SpaceX and Hyperloop despite his association with creepy government types and outright creeps. Jobs is the same way, actually, in that the fact that he was a bad person is largely forgotten.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of the other issues is that to get to a position as rich as Steve Jobs did you kind of have to exploit a few people along the way. He made some important contributions, sure, but compare what Jobs did with his role as a founder of Apple to what Wozniak did. Steve Jobs seemed more concerned with getting as rich as possible as fast as possible and hung on the company until he died. Steve Wozniak more or less quit working for Apple in the 80's then went off to invent things and be a teacher.

Exactly the same situation with more or less the same opportunity. One said "gently caress yeah time to get rich" while the other said "gently caress yeah time to make the world less lovely."

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the other issues is that to get to a position as rich as Steve Jobs did you kind of have to exploit a few people along the way. He made some important contributions, sure, but compare what Jobs did with his role as a founder of Apple to what Wozniak did. Steve Jobs seemed more concerned with getting as rich as possible as fast as possible and hung on the company until he died. Steve Wozniak more or less quit working for Apple in the 80's then went off to invent things and be a teacher.

Exactly the same situation with more or less the same opportunity. One said "gently caress yeah time to get rich" while the other said "gently caress yeah time to make the world less lovely."

Not to get all YOSPOS in this bitch but this is absolutely false. Wozniak is your typical nerd who made good computers but wouldn't have advanced the field in any significant way. He was all about openness, modularity, user-serviceable machines, and so on. All the poo poo no one except nerds wants! Jobs had a vision for computers to leave offices and goon basements, and become friendly appliance-like machines that didn't require technical knowledge and let ordinary people get poo poo done.

If you see how people use iPads nowadays there is no way you can say he didn't succeed. I've been coding for large companies for quite a while, and no sane person will claim that, for the tasks where it's applicable, an iPad with a dedicated app for internal use isn't vastly better than the old Access/ASP/WinForms/SAP/LifeRay-whatever frontends users had to deal with.
As for home users, my parents used to boot the pc once a week, and used nothing but the links to stocks, news and banking sites I put on the desktop for them. Anything else was a mystery. I've given them both iPads and iPod Touches and they do loads more stuff now (my dad is way into Shazam) than they ever did, all without having to ask me for advice even once.

Sure Jobs was a huge shithead in his personal life, there's no denying the facts. But Woz is a literally brain damaged lolbertarian nerd that donated to Ron Paul last election so pick your poison.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
How about some "scary or unnerving" Wikipedia pages?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That reminds me of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_Disappearance

A young pilot reports seeing a thing that matches his speed and hovers over him. They fly about for a bit and eventually he says "that's not an aircraft." Eventually there was a recording of "metallic, scraping sounds" and then nothing. The guy and the plane were never found.

Creepy as that is, it loses some of the impact when you consider that radar never picked up the pilot where he supposedly was. He was also a big UFO enthusiast, so the most likely explanation is that he staged his disappearance.

The Moncla story is a little more mysterious, even if the poor guy just crashed. Then you have Thomas Mantell, who died chasing a UFO...that may have been a weather balloon.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Unfortunately there's no wikipedia page for the story I am about to post, which I find kind of bizarre, because it definitely deserves a place there. I couldn't find one, at least.

There's a Vanity Fair article on it (I have no clue whether VF is a good or bad thing) but everything else I've found have been links to news stories from the time. The story takes place in Manchester, England, in around 2002/03. The boys involved, who, by order of the judge in the eventual trial can never be identified, are known only as 'John' and 'Mark'. John is 14, Mark 16.

quote:

The stab wounds still pain him [John]. One in the chest—that was the light wound—and another in the abdomen, six inches deep, which pierced his kidney and liver and necessitated the removal of his gallbladder. It was from this injury that the teenager almost died on the operating table—twice, police tell me. Blood pooled inside the boy's body cavity, and this restricted the movement of his diaphragm, which stopped the functioning of his lungs. For days he lay on a respirator, treated with painkillers and antibiotics...

When pressed by police, the boy would finally concede, reluctantly and only after changing his story several times, that it was his best friend, Mark, who had stabbed him, though John said he had no idea why.

John was a virtual Scheherazade, a gifted fabricator. "Staggering," said the judge who would hear his case. "Skilled writers of fiction would struggle to conjure up a plot such as arises here."

Four months after the stabbing, the charges were amended. Mark was still accused of attempted murder, to which he ultimately pleaded guilty. But this time John also was charged—with inciting murder. His own murder

The real story is in the depth of deception involved, which the article elaborates on more than I could here. It's an incredible story. Like something from Tales of the Unexpected.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Unfortunately there's no wikipedia page for the story I am about to post, which I find kind of bizarre, because it definitely deserves a place there. I couldn't find one, at least.

There's a Vanity Fair article on it (I have no clue whether VF is a good or bad thing) but everything else I've found have been links to news stories from the time. The story takes place in Manchester, England, in around 2002/03. The boys involved, who, by order of the judge in the eventual trial can never be identified, are known only as 'John' and 'Mark'. John is 14, Mark 16.

The real story is in the depth of deception involved, which the article elaborates on more than I could here. It's an incredible story. Like something from Tales of the Unexpected.

That was a good read. It baffles me how Mark could be so gullible, he's got to have some kind of cognitive disability to have believed those lies to the point of committing murder. All very odd.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Can't you just like... try to sum it up? It's five pages long and I don't have a clue what the gently caress from the bits you quoted. I'm sure there's more to it but all I can gather is a boy asked another boy to kill him and he tried to, which doesn't sound interesting at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tibor posted:

Can't you just like... try to sum it up? It's five pages long and I don't have a clue what the gently caress from the bits you quoted. I'm sure there's more to it but all I can gather is a boy asked another boy to kill him and he tried to, which doesn't sound interesting at all.

The John kid, the one who was stabbed, invented a huge, elaborate network of false personalities, men and women, circulating around this gullible Mark kid, and eventually persuaded him to attempt John's murder:

The article posted:

‘Uwant me 2 … kill him … ?? that's wot ur askin me?" an incredulous Mark wrote the British agent Janet Dobinson on June 28, 2003. That was the day before the attempted murder.

"Yes."

"And jus leave him 2 die …. Wot shud i say 2 him? Stand there a [minute] while i stab u?"

"You love him," came the response.

"I love him. But this has 2 be done?"

"Take him [to] a quiet place," advised the British agent. Dobinson was, as Mark had been informed, 44 and authoritative. She liked to issue instructions.

"Buy knife…. Glove."

"Where can u buy knives frm by the way?"

"Boots," typed Dobinson, referring to a drugstore chain which sells many household articles, including, as it turns out, Sabatier kitchen knives. Dobinson had answers for everything. And quite a few demands. Mark, for example, was to stab his friend while saying: "Love you bro … Make sure he knows you love him."

Edit: Later, when it came out that John was responsible.

The article posted:

As Clarke spoke about how John had manipulated the older boy, deploying a stream of imaginary virtual characters to lure Mark into carrying out his murder, he sneaked a look at Mark's face. The boy was, no mistaking it, aghast. The beautiful Rachel West, whom he had loved, wooed, and honestly mourned, was John—as was Kevin, who reveled in the bloody details of her gang rape and murder. Lyndsey East, who had briefly enchanted him and then disappeared without a word of good-bye, was John. Janet Dobinson, who had watched him masturbating on a Webcam, and who had promised him a lifetime of wealth and glamour, was John. The ice-cream vendors and shop assistants engaged in ceaseless surveillance of Mark: all John. The world he had known was John, written, produced, and directed by John.

Reminds me of some of the creepier stuff from crazy internet people like the Final Fantasy House.

HopperUK has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Oct 9, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Tibor posted:

Hrm, five pages, too much sorry I'm not reading five pages.

Maybe this documentary, which I went and looked for just now, just for you, is a better option (although it's an entire fifty minutes long! Fifty!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

LizzieBorden posted:

Not so much scary and unnerving as sad.

The Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice in London's Postman's Park. Each memorial is beautifully designed and made, and some of the deaths are horrific.

From waaaaaay back in the thread, but after having read this, I may never be happy again :saddowns:

It's terrible how many people drowned trying to save others and ended up as just an additional victim.

• Locked thread