Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, I'm re-installing this now that I've got a rig that can run it decently. One of the things that turned me off of this game was that it seemed really snap-shooty in a Call of Duty way for a while, but another goon said they took efforts to fix that. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Plan Z posted:

So, I'm re-installing this now that I've got a rig that can run it decently. One of the things that turned me off of this game was that it seemed really snap-shooty in a Call of Duty way for a while, but another goon said they took efforts to fix that. Is that true?

I'm not quite sure what you mean but the guns and damage model haven't changed all the significantly since the release. I think one of the patches a while ago dropped the max damage of most of the guns that aren't sniper rifles and shotguns by 1, which had the effect of a lot of guns needing one more bullet than before to kill someone at full health (also made the Defensive perk less useful against everything). The big difference between Battlefield guns and Call of Duty guns is that BF guns have meaningful recoil to control and bullet travel time/bullet drop to account for, not really how long it takes to kill someone after aiming down your sights, and that hasn't changed at all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I thought the Final Stand DLC was just being silly with the Accipiter and the railgun, as in "hey guys, enjoy these obvious BF2142 references!" Then I found the walker development bunker in Giants of Karelia :stare: I really really really want a sequel to 2142.

Aaaand I just found the Titan.

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 1, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

This. Short of whatever feeling of extra enjoyment you gets, using your knife is almost always going to be far inferior to just using your main weapon or pistol.
Being an achievement whore I lost a fair amount of *my precious KD bro* but now that I'm just picking guns I like that I wanna get 500 kills with, I'm recovering pretty well, regularly getting 1.5 or 2.0 KD in a game. And pretty much none of that involves dog tags. Never gotten a melee ribbon, let alone a medal... probably never will. Only if it's convenient will I go for dog tags, and by convenient I mean if I happen to accidentally run up behind a dude or if some hill-wookie is ridiculously oblivious then I'll go for it, otherwise there's a good loving reason I'm carrying a DMR or assault rifle or whatever the gently caress. Probably at least a quarter of my knife kills are from those "counterattack" things that happened to coinflip in my favor.

Azran posted:

I thought the Final Stand DLC was just being silly with the Accipiter and the railgun, as in "hey guys, enjoy these obvious BF2142 references!" Then I found the walker development bunker in Giants of Karelia :stare: I really really really want a sequel to 2142. ...Aaaand I just found the Titan.
As someone who never played BF2142, I fully expect another future-setting Battlefield game and as long as it's actually Battlefield and not Star Wars: Casualfront, then I for one accept our new energy-weapon overlords, or whatever the gently caress the game has, just cause every once in a while I don't mind taking a break from IRL rifles and tanks or whatever... make some poo poo up and add 200 years to whatever and I'll get my poo poo pushed in as usual and probably have a good time while I'm at it.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 1, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The craziest thing in BF2142 were basically hovercraft tanks, walkers and colossal hovering carriers, no lasers or anything like that. It was pretty down to earth in that regard.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I will often go for the knife, but I only have around 500 kills out of 37k. I'm a bit of a completist with the assignments, but I have three left: 2 melee-related and the terrible phantom bow assignment. When I did go for the first knife assignment, I got a lot of good results in Zavod, around C and D. Heavy use of flashes/smoke, and jumping down behind people.

I generally do quite well, but my KDR is quite poor at 1.2. I've now been playing a fair bit of Rush, and I am very impatient, and truly do zerg rush into rooms, just to try and break through. I PTFO though and usually end up high on the scoreboard.

I like the principle of the new squad orders mechanic, and was overjoyed that they took the BF:H mechanic, but does it seem to drop orders randomly for others? Also, I find that it is a lot harder to set orders in a vehicle now. I have it set that I use the commo rose to set orders, as previously I was spamming orders too often, as I'm a Q whore.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
My biggest annoyance with being squadleader is that I like to spot poo poo and if your crosshair is even remotely near a flag it will order your squad to attack/defend instead. Even if that flag is on the other side of the map and the guy you're spotting is ten meters away.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You can set it so that you have to hold Q to set an order. ^^

Defib and repair tool kills is the only real stat anyway.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 1, 2015

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

does it seem to drop orders randomly for others?

I think that happens any time someone leaves or joins the squad.

I think.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Sandweed posted:

You can set it so that you have to hold Q to set an order. ^^

Yep. That's what I meant when I said about setting orders through the comm rose. It was patched in to BF3, so I was disappointed that it was not in BF4 from the start.

Sandweed posted:

Defib and repair tool kills is the only real stat anyway.

Makes people super salty.

VectorSigma posted:

I think that happens any time someone leaves or joins the squad.

I think.

I'll have to look out for that, thanks. It's definitely buggier.

If this change would have been in from the beginning, I would have ranked up much faster. It's such a points bonanza. I enjoy being squad leader, and occasionally I will berate my squad over VoIP until they start following me onto flags. It's a good feeling when you lead a squad of lowish-level randoms into the top 5, just through calling out strats and reminding your squad to stick together. I have had quite a few people send me Battlelog add requests after games because of this.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I like the principle of the new squad orders mechanic, and was overjoyed that they took the BF:H mechanic, but does it seem to drop orders randomly for others?

They also changed it so an order doesn't persist when an objective changes status. So if you ordered your squad to defend a point and the enemy team neutralizes that point, the order expires. Could be that.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just unlocked the CS5 sniper rifle, and the bullets only fall at 6 m/s² instead of 9.81 m/s²? How does that work? Miniature wings on the bullets to give it a slight aerodynamic lift?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm trying to complete the Vanguard assignment (Supression kills are amazingly difficult to get on purpose. Easier with snipers than machine guns, I've found), and the UAV and SUAV (or whatever the other drone is called) ones. I have 3000 hours in a flight simulator and these jets handle like poo poo in comparison. Getting 5 kills three times in one of these? :negative:

Yep. That's what I meant when I said about setting orders through the comm rose. It was patched in to BF3, so I was disappointed that it was not in BF4 from the start.

Makes people super salty.

I'll have to look out for that, thanks. It's definitely buggier.

If this change would have been in from the beginning, I would have ranked up much faster. It's such a points bonanza. I enjoy being squad leader, and occasionally I will berate my squad over VoIP until they start following me onto flags. It's a good feeling when you lead a squad of lowish-level randoms into the top 5, just through calling out strats and reminding your squad to stick together. I have had quite a few people send me Battlelog add requests after games because of this.

I've been playing solo and once or twice I got into a squad that not only used voice comms, they also played the objective to the exclusion of everything else. It was a China Rising map full of alleys and narrow streets (I remember there being some AAV7s.) It was pretty great because I got something insane like 20k extra EXP thanks to my 100% booster :v:

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
Has anybody had this same problem I'm having? I can't quite remember exactly when it started happening (it was fairly recently), but my fps when in Mantle mode are getting pretty bad. When I switched over to DX11 mode, the fps were the same as they were last time I used it.

Clearly I'm having some kind of Mantle problem, I reinstalled Windows last month, but I was able to copy my BF4 folder across. Could it be because I didn't to a fresh reinstall of the game? I've deleted the settings folder a couple of times, as that gets recommended fairly often, and googling "low fps in Mantle", or something along those lines just gets results from the Mantle beta period.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

God, took me an hour but I finally got the UCAV. I will never again get into a jet.

Now, to find how the gently caress air raid bunkers work.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Azran posted:

God, took me an hour but I finally got the UCAV. I will never again get into a jet.

You need to hold a point with that big radar trailer. When it's available you'll see a bigass plane icon over it. A pubbie will beat you to it, accomplish nothing, and then it will take an eternity to respawn. D at Silk Road is best.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 2, 2015

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I just unlocked the CS5 sniper rifle, and the bullets only fall at 6 m/s² instead of 9.81 m/s²? How does that work? Miniature wings on the bullets to give it a slight aerodynamic lift?

Drop is most likely a parameter of the bullet entity. The reason why everything isn't a global 9.81 m/s2 is probably to give another way to differentiate guns/ not have everyone be an assault and spraying rounds across the map.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ak Gara posted:

It's because the rifle is intended to always be suppressed so if it had the normal drop it would have to struggle with being low velocity and high drop.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So is the pickup sniper rifle supposed to whiff every shot? I know it has to trade some accuracy for being a 1hk at any range, but I just wasted an entire magazine shooting at a guy who was completely immobile. It's like he knew I was using this gun and sat there knowing each shot would swing wide. I'm going to stop putting players in the center of my crosshairs and maybe the dogshit accuracy will work in my favor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Azran posted:

Part 1: Stand beside the door, hold E, hope you don't die.

Part 2: Aim at a tank that is doing nothing but lobbing shells at snipers and other tanks. Hope it doesn't move. Fire as early as possible because you can get a reload of 4 bombs if you're quick enough with the first target before the bomber leaves the map.

sitchelin posted:

So is the pickup sniper rifle supposed to whiff every shot? I know it has to trade some accuracy for being a 1hk at any range, but I just wasted an entire magazine shooting at a guy who was completely immobile. It's like he knew I was using this gun and sat there knowing each shot would swing wide. I'm going to stop putting players in the center of my crosshairs and maybe the dogshit accuracy will work in my favor.

That's entirely on you. It's as accurate as all the other sniper rifles.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
E:^^^ it has a .1 spread so actually it's not as accurate as other sniper rifles, it's as accurate as the Mk. 11

sitchelin posted:

Its spread goes up by 12x its base with every shot if you spam it and its inaccurate while moving. Otherwise it's got DMR accuracy.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Part 2: Aim at a tank that is doing nothing but lobbing shells at snipers and other tanks. Hope it doesn't move. Fire as early as possible because you can get a reload of 4 bombs if you're quick enough with the first target before the bomber leaves the map.
I think once I managed to get a third run in on that map with the lumpy round mountain things. Of course by that time I was shooting off at some back corner where there was a cap point but nobody there.

Oh, by the way anyone that thinks that shotgun nerf was a horrible travesty is full of poo poo. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/32/660994531679384576/1485146718/ So what if they're weaker, just shoot them again if you need to. I got several kills that were just ridiculously far away, and more than a few in-your-face OHK's. My aim is a literal steaming pile too, I woulda done better if I could just hit where I wanna shoot. That match was laggy as all gently caress too, I'd jerk back a few feet every once in a while, got a shitload of those "fucky connection" icons, red of course. poo poo didnt stop me though.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 2, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Part 1: Stand beside the door, hold E, hope you don't die.

That's entirely on you. It's as accurate as all the other sniper rifles.

So uh, I must have gotten insanely lucky today. I finished, in the space of two hours, the UCAV and SUAV assignments. I first got into an American server (hey there, 230ms latency!) and asked the lonely guy there "hey man, wanna do the UCAV assignment" and we took turns killing each other till we both got it. Second, I logged into a Gullin Peaks or whatever the map is called where NO ONE tried to get the bomber, so both teams basically allowed me to use it three times in a row till I got a kill. :allears: Now to get those drat suppression assists.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

I think once I managed to get a third run in on that map with the lumpy round mountain things. Of course by that time I was shooting off at some back corner where there was a cap point but nobody there.

Oh, by the way anyone that thinks that shotgun nerf was a horrible travesty is full of poo poo. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/32/660994531679384576/1485146718/ So what if they're weaker, just shoot them again if you need to. I got several kills that were just ridiculously far away, and more than a few in-your-face OHK's. My aim is a literal steaming pile too, I woulda done better if I could just hit where I wanna shoot. That match was laggy as all gently caress too, I'd jerk back a few feet every once in a while, got a shitload of those "fucky connection" icons, red of course. poo poo didnt stop me though.

The shotgun changes in the patch never seemed like a nerf to me, just adjusting the pellet damage back to something more video game shotgun-y. They still do full damage out to 25 meters (okay, 24 now) and that's more than enough for me because why are you firing a shotgun with pellets at something that far away?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Azran posted:

Now to get those drat suppression assists.

Try using a LMG with 200 rounds per belt, aim AROUND a bad guy so you don't kill him, while your team mates are aiming at the bad guy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Try using a LMG with 200 rounds per belt, aim AROUND a bad guy so you don't kill him, while your team mates are aiming at the bad guy.

For some goddamn reason I'd always have the worst luck when doing that - there'd be 8 guys around me and I'd get shot first so the suppression wouldn't count because I wouldn't be firing etc. So I just went into Locker trying to knock off the GL Dart part of Multi Tool and that got me like 7 suppression assists in a row, knocking it off my list. :psyduck:

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 2, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I was watching some youtube videos of some really good players, and what got me wasn't their ability to kill, but their ability to not be killed. They use a helicopter, they get lots of kills over 20 minutes, I use a helicopter and get blown up within 20 seconds. They use a tank, they dominate the entire match. I use a tank? Boom! Running in close combat maps or ones like Floodzone, they'll run around for ages and ages slowly racking up 30-3 KD ratio and while I can get some really impressive kill shots, I'm almost always dieing once for every kill I get.

I'll also easily get distracted by trying to get revenge on this one single dude and dieing to him over and over rather than PTFO. :v:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I was watching some youtube videos of some really good players, and what got me wasn't their ability to kill, but their ability to not be killed. They use a helicopter, they get lots of kills over 20 minutes, I use a helicopter and get blown up within 20 seconds. They use a tank, they dominate the entire match. I use a tank? Boom! Running in close combat maps or ones like Floodzone, they'll run around for ages and ages slowly racking up 30-3 KD ratio and while I can get some really impressive kill shots, I'm almost always dieing once for every kill I get.

I'll also easily get distracted by trying to get revenge on this one single dude and dieing to him over and over rather than PTFO. :v:

You only see the good runs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just got BF4 Premium and it gave me like 50 crates :pwn:

1. What should I be playing to get familiarized with the game? I haven't played since Battlefield 2. Already did the campaign and a few hours online
2. What class is the most useful for general pub play?
3. Is the support class still the most insane for POINTS etc.?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Just got BF4 Premium and it gave me like 50 crates :pwn:

1. What should I be playing to get familiarized with the game? I haven't played since Battlefield 2. Already did the campaign and a few hours online
2. What class is the most useful for general pub play?
3. Is the support class still the most insane for POINTS etc.?

Always use boosts (hit escape and look in the lower right hand corner), but save your 200%s for double xp weekends. Don't be afraid of burning the 100% boosts whenever you get them because you will NEVER get through all your 50%s, let alone the 25%s.

Roll with a squad and play support with ammo bags or assault with med packs and revives for lots of points to get familiar with the maps and objectives.

Mash the Q button to spot for extra points when someone kills the bad man you spotted. Or throw up a MAV as a recon and spot all the bad men.

Join goon mumble and roll with goonsquad.

Die a lot.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the advice! What's the Goon Mumble? Is it US-based?

edit: nevermind, was in the goon roster!

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 2, 2015

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Played for the first time since a few weeks post-release. Jesus this game is so much better, now. The unlocks for finishing the campaign are still borked, though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Played for the first time since a few weeks post-release. Jesus this game is so much better, now. The unlocks for finishing the campaign are still borked, though.

Are they? I got them just fine.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Azran posted:

Are they? I got them just fine.

I played the last chapter earlier today, didn't get the unlock. I just got the M249 now, and the P90 from like two years ago at the same time. So, two new guns hurray.

Also, like ten+ years on, and pubbies will only move if you try to repair their vehicles.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 3, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wow, the time you get to counterknife someone is amazingly lenient. Like "oh hey he's trying to knife me. Is that a prompt? Hm, where's the key. Oh here. Hey nice, I got his tags"

Plan Z posted:

I played the last chapter earlier today, didn't get the unlock. I just got the M249 now, and the P90 from like two years ago at the same time. So, two new guns hurray.

Also, like ten+ years on, and pubbies will only move if you try to repair their vehicles.

I used the save file in the OP, finished it once and got all 6 weapons. Weird.

Also, can you run out of battlepacks to unlock stuff? Like, if your luck is poo poo enough, you will eventually have stuff you can't literally get anymore?

Azran fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 3, 2015

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Counter-knifing is lenient when it actually gives you the option. Most of the time it never comes up(probably because the counter-knife FOV is 55 resulting in "side-knife with front knife animation") or it comes up after I'm dead.

I have been knifed once where I never got locked into the animation and was just moving freely before dying.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Azran posted:

Also, can you run out of battlepacks to unlock stuff? Like, if your luck is poo poo enough, you will eventually have stuff you can't literally get anymore?

After a while you will see a whole lot of 25% boosts in your battlepacks.
I hit rank 140 and my reward was 3 25% boosts, 1 50% boost and a loving vertical grip for the SKS.:confuoot:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Might as well put a Tapco foregrip on your Tapco'd Milsurp, right?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Azran posted:

Wow, the time you get to counterknife someone is amazingly lenient. Like "oh hey he's trying to knife me. Is that a prompt? Hm, where's the key. Oh here. Hey nice, I got his tags"

I used the save file in the OP, finished it once and got all 6 weapons. Weird.

P sure you keep getting weapon battlepacks til you run out of things to unlock for that weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

You only see the good runs.

Half the time they seem to play against incredibly dumb opponents, too. Like being able to run headfirst into three people, drop two, reload and finish off the third because the guy couldn't hit a target ten feet in front of him. Then they healthpack, reload, and do the same thing again in the next room.

• Locked thread