Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

So this genius's big plan to save D&D is A) Cut prices, B) Give stuff away for free, C) Give more stuff away for free. Yeah, I'm sure Wizards will get right on that. If they don't, it can only be because they're a bunch of money-grubbing kkkorporate $hill$.

Calling more a "more permissive" version of the D20 OGL is the icing on the cake. WotC already gave away 98% of the candy store with that version, so much that their greatest competition right now is someone selling zero-royalty reprints of their own material, but that's not enough for grognards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

lighttigersoul posted:

Holy poo poo.

There are no other words.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CuddlyZombie posted:

There are no other words.
Even by the standards of grognards.txt, that's a masterpiece of passive-aggression - a wonderful mix "I'm so generous and tolerant" and "I'm so much smarter and better than all of you". No offense to Christians, it's totally cool if you believe that pack of insane lies, there's no reason we all can't get along, regardless of how retarded your belief system is compared to mine. If you disagree with me, that's OK, I understand that you are forced to operate under social constraints that I have managed to transcend.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

FMguru posted:

So this genius's big plan to save D&D is A) Cut prices, B) Give stuff away for free, C) Give more stuff away for free. Yeah, I'm sure Wizards will get right on that. If they don't, it can only be because they're a bunch of money-grubbing kkkorporate $hill$.

Calling more a "more permissive" version of the D20 OGL is the icing on the cake. WotC already gave away 98% of the candy store with that version, so much that their greatest competition right now is someone selling zero-royalty reprints of their own material, but that's not enough for grognards.

Let's not forget he also wants the 80s art back, too. Because D&D should always be a Frazetta painting.

oh god either that or...

No one could be so cruel. Could they?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Darwinism posted:

Let's not forget he also wants the 80s art back, too. Because D&D should always be a Frazetta painting.

oh god either that or...

Special Attacks: Hug

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

quote:

(Yes, I got a job, in real-life, as a magic-user)

I approached this intensive study from the standpoint of Scientific Illuminism, or the Scientific Method.

Just thought I'd repost this little gem because, well.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Darwinism posted:

oh god either that or...

My favorite part about that image is that they use the term "Nil" instead of the normal English "None." I'm sure there are at least a thousand words written on the internet as to why "nil" is more precise or better or what the gently caress ever.

Dr Nick posted:

It's easy. He works as a homeopathy counselor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr Nick posted:

I just realized...this guy is living the grog dream; not only does he have a class (magic-user), it's one from OD&D, not a new-fangled "mage" or "wizard".

Someone needs to ask him what level he is.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gau posted:

My favorite part about that image is that they use the term "Nil" instead of the normal English "None." I'm sure there are at least a thousand words written on the internet as to why "nil" is more precise or better or what the gently caress ever.

Nil is better since an owlbear might have enough psychic potential to, say, feel like it is being watched, and that is more than nothing. But it doesn't have enough to recognize and act on that feeling, or shoot daggers with its mind, or anything an adventurer will ever have to worry about. hth

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just realized...this guy is living the grog dream; not only does he have a class (magic-user), it's one from OD&D, not a new-fangled "mage" or "wizard".

Someone needs to ask him what level he is.

Then he'd have to count up his life savings

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mandrake776 posted:

Seriously keep going because that is by far the sanest thing he says.

It's the root of his problems, though. "I only like it when things 'make sense,' so any explanation I come up with that 'makes sense,' I will consider as real and defend from anyone's attempt to disprove." Typical mild schizophrenic stuff.

e: This thread is making me want to re-read Big U, especially all the roleplaying society bits.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's the root of his problems, though. "I only like it when things 'make sense,' so any explanation I come up with that 'makes sense,' I will consider as real and defend from anyone's attempt to disprove." Typical mild schizophrenic stuff.

e: This thread is making me want to re-read Big U, especially all the roleplaying society bits.

Despite the presence of all of Stephenson's writer tics that are annoying, it also has all of Stephenson's writer bits that are really entertaining, so my take is that The Big U is awesome to re-read.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Gomi posted:

Despite the presence of all of Stephenson's writer tics that are annoying, it also has all of Stephenson's writer bits that are really entertaining, so my take is that The Big U is awesome to re-read.

My favorite anecdote about The Big U is that Stephenson took it out of print, but then put it back into print after seeing how much copies were going for on eBay, saying that the only thing worse than reading it was paying a hundred dollars to do so.

It does have some fun parts though but it's the finest example of Stephenson's patented "story reaches climax on the last page" style.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Here's the current state of my evolving thoughts on the subject:

(1) Roleplaying games are defined by mechanics which are associated to the game world. Playing a role is about making choices as if you were the character. In order for a game to be a roleplaying game (and not just a game where you happen to play a role), the mechanics of the game have to be about making and resolving choices you make as if you were the character. If the mechanics of the game require you to make choices which aren't associated to the choices made by the character, then the mechanics of the game aren't about roleplaying and it's not a roleplaying game.

This still leaves some corner cases, mostly in the arena of wargames. For example, Monopoly is clearly not an RPG about bankers (the decision to buy a property might be lightly associated, but pretty much nothing else in the game is). But are the mechanics of Risk sufficiently associated enough to count as "roleplaying a commander-in-chief"? "Moving your armies" and "choosing which area/country to invade" are highly abstracted in the game, but they're still pretty directly associated.

So we might add something about mechanically defining the characteristics of a role and allowing those characteristics to affect the resolution of action to our definition in order to eliminate games like Risk and RoboRally.

This still leaves some fuzziness. For example, where's the dividing line between a Warhammer miniature game and playing multiple characters simultaneously in a D&D game?

(2) Storytelling games are defined by narrative control mechanics. The mechanics of the game are either about determining who controls a particular chunk of the narrative or they're actually about determining the outcome of a particular narrative chunk.

Storytelling games may be built around players have characters they're proponents of, but the mechanical focus of the game is not on the choices made as if they were those characters, but on controlling the narrative.

Wushu offers a pretty clear-cut example. The game has basically one mechanic: By describing a scene or action, you earn dice. If your dice pool gets more successes than everyone else's dice pools, you control the narrative conclusion of the round.

Everyone in Wushu is playing a character. That character is the favored vehicle which they can use to deliver their descriptions, and that character's traits will even influence what types of descriptions are mechanically superior for you to use. But notably the mechanics of the game are completely dissociated from the act of roleplaying the character. Vivid and interesting characters are certainly encouraged, but the act of making choices as if you were the character -- the act of actually roleplaying -- has absolutely nothing to do with the rules whatsoever.

That's why Wushu is a storytelling game, not a roleplaying game.

(3) More controversially, consider Dread. The gameplay here looks a lot like a roleplaying game: All the players are roleplaying individual characters. There's a GM controlling/presenting the game world. When players have their characters attempt actions, there's even a resolution mechanic: Pull a Jenga block. If the tower doesn't collapse, the action succeeds. If the tower does collapse, the character is eliminated from the story.

But I'd argue that Dread isn't a roleplaying game: The mechanic may be triggered by characters taking action, but the actual mechanic isn't associated to the game world. The mechanic is entirely about controlling the pace of the narrative and participation in the narrative.

I'd even argue that Dread wouldn't be a roleplaying game even if you introduced a character sheet with hard-coded skills that determine how many blocks you pull depending on the action being attempted and your character's relevant skill. Why? Because the resolution mechanic is still dissociated and its still focused on narrative control. The fact that the characters have different characteristics in terms of their ability to be used to control that narrative is as significant as the differences between a rook and a bishop in a game of Chess.

Another way to look at this is to strip everything back to freeform roleplaying: Just people sitting around, pretending to be characters. This isn't a roleplaying game because there's no game -- it's just roleplaying.

Now add mechanics: If the mechanics are designed in such a way that the mechanical choices you're making are directly associated with the choices your character is making, then it's probably a roleplaying game. If the mechanics are designed in such a way that the mechanical choices you're making are directly associated to making choices about the narrative, then it's probably a storytelling game.

(4) This gets fuzzy for two reasons.

First, few games are actually that rigid in their focus. For example, if I add an action point mechanic to a roleplaying game it doesn't suddenly cease to be a roleplaying game just because there are now some mechanical choices being made by players which aren't associated to character decisions.

Second, characters actually are narrative elements. This means that you can see a lot of narrative control mechanics which either act through, are influenced by, or act upon characters who may also be strongly associated with or exclusively associated with a particular player.

When you combine these two factors, you end up with a third: Because characters are narrative elements, players who prefer storytelling games tend to have a much higher tolerance for roleplaying mechanics in their storytelling games. Why? Because roleplaying mechanics allow you to control characters, characters are narrative elements, and, therefore, roleplaying mechanics can be enjoyed as just a very specific variety of narrative control.

OTOH, people are primarily interested in roleplaying games because they want to roleplay a character tend to have a much lower tolerance for narrative control mechanics in their roleplaying games. Why? Because when you're using a dissociated mechanic you aren't roleplaying (i.e., you are not making choices as if you were your character; you're making a completely different sort of choice). At best, dissociated mechanics are a distraction from what the roleplayer wants. At worst, the dissociated mechanics can actually interfere and disrupt what the roleplayer wants (when, for example, the dissociated mechanics begin affecting the behavior or actions of their character).

Which is why many aficionados of storytelling games don't understand why other people don't consider their games roleplaying games. Because even traditional roleplaying games at least partially satisfy their interests in narrative control, they don't see the dividing line.

Explaining this is made more difficult because the dividing line is, in fact, fuzzy in multiple dimensions. Plus there's plenty of historical confusion going the other way. (For example, the "Storyteller System" is, in fact, just a roleplaying game with no narrative control mechanics whatsoever.)

Personally, I enjoy both sorts of games: Chocolate (roleplaying), vanilla (storytelling), and swirled mixtures of both. But, with that being said, there are times when I just want some nice chocolate ice cream; and when I do, I generally don't want heavily dissociated mechanics screwing up my fun.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Vivid and interesting characters are certainly encouraged, but the act of making choices as if you were the character -- the act of actually roleplaying -- has absolutely nothing to do with the rules whatsoever.

This right here is what it boils down to. Roleplaying? That's only possible if you're rolling dice to do something by the rules!

loving grognards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Prostrate also means face down, but as I already quoted above, in actual usage prone means face down.

Cherry-picking the definition doesn't change that one bit. Prone does not mean, "flipped on your back."

quote:

no, but according to 4e rules, prone does in fact mean lying on the ground, and I think the rule implies back, face or any other part - up

Perhaps, but all that shows is that the editors at Whizbros are as sloppy as the sap at Mongoose who let "merchant marine" = "shipboard soldier" into one of its Traveller books.

Seriously, words actually mean things, and their errant usage by so-called professional writers is really inexcusable.

- - -

Literally he hates "Whizbros" because they use "prone" to mean "on the ground"

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
If you are lying on your back the proper term is "supine". :eng101:

But this is 4e, where "prone" might mean "sort of dazed and flattened" if you apply it to an ooze. Applying it to someone who is upside-down should be the least of their worries.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ok, I know that this is a sensitive subject, but... In RPGs, should there be difference between genders?

This concept must be totally alien to younger gamers, but old school enworlders still remember the 70's. We had a game called "AD&D 1st edition". It was a massive game back in the day.
Halfling females had the lowest STR-cap, but if you made a male halfling character, the cap was higher. All genders had difference in weight, height and STR-cap. There was no benefit from playing a female character, and I don't remember anyone ever raising their voice over that issue. Nowadays we only have differences in size, and no one is arguing that. But that's where the differences end.

I also vaguely remember the same from Runequest, but the "physical frailness" of feminine gender was only applied to NPCs. No benefit was given to female NPCs, only some sort of penalty.

In my game I treat PC (creation of) women and men the same, although I feel really frustated about the fact that 150-lbs PC can have the same strength as 300-lbs PC... There are no weight-classes in D&D-wrestling, I guess... In my free-form game I take bodysize and weight strongly into account, and "girly" characters (men or women) are in a world of hurt. Of course this is not directly linked to gender-issue, but since females tend to be lighter, they tend to suffer in mêlée (block that big fist and end up on your a$$). But sneaking and hiding is easier in my freeform-game, if you're lighter.

So what's your opinion?
Men and women are the same, women just are lighter and shorter? In the farms 18-year old girls often participate in hauling the logs with men or is there some reason why women stay home and men do physical work in your fantasy world? Or do they?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh poo poo guys they (they being RPGSite) are onto us!

quote:

Don't know if you're aware, but your post made it on grognards.txt, Justin.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I can see the appeal in using different rules for male and female characters. But you'd have to balance it properly. Not just limits on female strength, but bonuses to offset those limits.

For example, female characters have a penalty on STR. However, they get Weapon Finesse as a free feat. Or they get bonuses on Spot, Search and Balance.

This would make it more attractive to play a female character for some classes and a male character for others, in the same way that certain races are more suited to particular classes.

The problem is that these bonuses and penalties would be highly subjective. The examples I gave above are based purely on a stereotypical view of differences between men and women.

All in all, I think that this is a matter that is best left to individual gaming groups to decide for themselves, based on their own experiences and views. Although some guidelines might be useful, defining general rules is too likely to upset or offend people, or cause endless discussions along the lines of "But I know some very strong women ..."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

They had the Rules Compendium, and Heroes of the Fallen Land available at my local bookstore...

Really liked the digest sized books, the clearly readable fonts, and the layout.

+1 for actually having a table of contents.

Some additional observations...

Character progression is very fast from levels 1-10 for all character classes. All the core classes were represented though. With Essentials, you'll hit level 10 by gaining around 20,000 experience points. With original D&D that's gets you a 5th level character.

A 10th level mage only has nine spells that they can cast each day. 3 of these spells are per encounter. 3 can be cast once daily, and 3 are Utility, whatever that means (Can't be used for combat?). Mages must have magic items for sustained campaigns to stay on par with other classes.

At every level, the character receives either a class power, or an attribute bump. Attribute bumps are inline with 0D&D and occur (with fighters at least) at 4th,and 8th level, I would presume that continues up to 20 just like with original D&D.

With Rules Compendium, skills have been further refined resulting in even fewer skills that cover a broader spectrum of tasks. The emphasis remains focused on combat, and that emphasis is only enhanced with this version.

In summary, looks like a fastplay version of 4e. The notation on BAB for attacks was cryptic (1w + Str Mod)(2w +Str Mod) at 20th level, and in the short time that I looked it over, I couldn't determine to hit values for any character over 1st level. There were no notes with the character classes on how combat actually worked so it appeared confusing and would require rooting around in the book some to figure out how this works.

The focus away from roleplaying and the continued fragmentation or modularization of character classes makes this a no-buy book for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do they take pride in this? Them taking pride in this would make as much sense as their retarded grog viewpoints.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ProfessorCirno posted:

There was no benefit from playing a female character, and I don't remember anyone ever raising their voice over that issue.

"I don't remember our sexist rules leading to any any screechy females interrupting our game, so I guess there was nothing wrong with them! :downs:"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
All games must pick and choose which realities that they want to track and to what degree that they want to track them. One particular difference between most of your examples and the case of tracking gender differences is that gender differences usually work themselves out as a character creation complexity issue rather than a game resolution complexity issue. Character creation complexities are usually a 'one time cost' and so tracking them in great complexity can be a valid decision for a designer that wants to meet certain genera conventions well. In the case of your genera convention being 'reality', that might include tracking gender.

Or it might not, depending on what you want to capture.

The even bigger problem with your post is that what is realistic (and therefore what is selectively realistic) is a matter of opinion, as your racial (racist) sterotyping indicates. The more usual problem is that we can't agree over what realism is, not over whether we are being selective about it.

In full disclosure, my game doesn't automatically track gender because in fantasy conventions there is usually no physical difference between women and men (even though this is admittedly pure fantasy). However, there is an option to take traits 'Fairer Sex' which radically alters your races standard attribute modifiers, or 'Second Class Citizen' which gives you social penalties reflective of the broader mysogyny that is often present in ancient inspired cultures. (I suppose you could jokingly argue that the 'Meathead' trait is the male equivalent of these.)

Thus, if the player wants to have a character whose gender is strongly reflected on his or character sheet, he or she may have it, but the game system doesn't forcibly impose that on you. I should note however that I very frequently impose those traits on my NPC's.

quote:

And this is actually getting to the crux of the problem, which is more fundamental than simple stat bonuses; the depiction of men as the baseline for people, and the othering of women as something abnormal.

Oh dear. So, I suppose you have no problem with humans being the baseline for races? Having two possible genders to select would not being having "men as the baseline for people". Men are the baseline for people by default when you don't have gender selection. When you don't have explicit mechanical gender selection, then you are playing a man mechanically and your non-male gender is fluff. (This is another thing that gets lampooned well in 'Dorkness Rising'.) In my case, the baselines for women is that they are identical to men; you only get away from that baseline deliberately.

In my opinion, you've got it exactly backwards: "Why is the default assumption that a female character has to essentially be a pretend male..."? Indeed. That is exactly it.

Why is it that in order to express respect for femeninity you have to pretend it doesn't exist? Why is it that to express respect for women, you have to value them for excelling at the traditional martial virtue of "beats people up good", and if they are not burly she-males that kick butt and have casual sex then in some fashion we aren't portraying 'strong women' and we are sexist? I see it exactly the opposite of that. All these females with 18 STR and capable of out brawling 250 lb hulks are merely demonstrating our hatred or discomfort with feminity. They aren't women at all, but men in sexy woman suits. We may prefer fantasy women to real ones, but that discomfort with reality doesn't make one less sexist.

Holding that men and women are of equal legal, social, moral, and spiritual worth in no way requires me to live in a fantasy where they are identical. I can choose to do so for the purpose of a fantasy game, but some one chooses to not do so I don't regard it as a moral failing. (And perhaps quite the opposite.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

Consider: why do you have the traits "Fairer Sex" rather then one oriented towards a male gender?

"Fairer Sex" was created as an alternative to forcing someone with a female character concept into conforming to reality because in the fantasy world - much as I disapprove of the sterotype - the character concept of 'kick butt woman' exists. I'm not going to force someone not to play a Sydney Bristow, Kim Possible, Beatrix Kiddo, etc. etc. if that is what they want, but frankly I find the model to be inherently sexist (and unnecessary).

Mary Edwards Walker didn't win awards for valor because she could out punch heavy weight champion boxers. Leigh Ann Hester has martial credentials that are second to none, but doesn't need to be put into a ring to prove it. There isn't some sort of competition where women have to have male upper body strength and melee skill to be valuable, least of all in a world where magic is real.

Honestly, "Fairer Sex" isn't realistic either though. It's purpose is to provide some degree of balance to the option of playing a female in a game that relative to real life puts a much greater emphasis on the value of beating things up. I doubt even in the ancient world martial prowess was quite as key to success in life as it is in a fantasy RPG, and its that unreality that I have to deal with.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

That nails it right there. For the purposes of a lets pretend game, let's not saddle the girls with artificial constraints. If the cost of that is "muscle bound women warriors with 18 str)" and their chain mail is no longer a bikini

But, it is "muscle bound women warriors with 18 str" that is unreal and artificial. For the purposes of "let's play pretend", I agree we can have female STR 22 melee brawlers, but for the purposes of this discussion lets not pretend that the lack of contraint is real and the constraint is artificial.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

And don't EVEN try to respond with "realism"- we both know that actual historical roles for women were far more complex and variable than that. There were far more complex dynamics at work than the "weak oppressed manipulators" stereotype that games such as Pendragon (the John Normen of rpgs) would have us believe.

Maybe so, but by and large those real roles didn't include 'front line martial combatant'. The game itself is skewed however to valuing martial combat and prowess. That's why the game 'revolves around men'. For the most part, war and battle are 'a man's world' with women as intruders, and to the extent that you make the game about war and battle you are making it revolve around "masculine virtue". You don't make the world revolve around men by having stat differences. You make the world revolve around men by making prowess in melee combat the standard by which people are judged to have worth. Because if that is your standard, then it doesn't matter whether you have stat differences, you are saying essentially the only thing that matters is that one thing that men uniquely excel at and the only way for a women to be valuable is for her to pretend to be a man in female form.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
For what it's worth, here's my opinion. For frame of reference, I'm coming at this from a 3/3.5E standpoint. There are some differences between 3E and 4E, and I'll point them out where they are significant, but for the most part Strength scores are comparable between editions. So...

I don't think that mechanical representations of gender differences are necessary, but if a group wants that, it's not that difficult to do without overly penalizing anyone. But, if one is going to impose "realism" because of Gender, one should also impose realism as far as reasonable Strength limitations and minimum body weights.

I did a quick and dirty (somewhat scientific) comparison of Human Male and Female Strengths based on body weight, and in reference to current Olympic Weightlifting World Records (Clean & Jerk). Unfortunately, the IOC doesn't keep track of such records for other character races.

This is the results:

Maximum real world Strength in D&D terms is: Males = 23, Females = 21

Amazingly, D&D agrees with the real-world here, as Maximum Human Strength Score in D&D is 23 (20th level, from the character advancement charts for both 3E and 4E). If you count Epic (above 20th level for both 3E and 4E) that can go as high as 26. That's significantly greater than the real-world, but since we're talking about mythical Hercules and such, it still works for me.

Real-world, I'm making the assumption that both Men and Woman have essentially the same physical potential as far as Dexterity goes. I'm making this assumption based upon a definition of Dexterity as only the efficiency of a persons mind-muscle neural connections and "Fast-twitch" muscle response. Granted, Men have an increased running speed potential than woman - but running speed in the real-world is as much an element of "strength" and cardio-vascular/pulmonary capacity as it is "quickness" (unlike D&D which mostly bases it on Dexterity only).

Also real-world: though there are differences between male and female brains as far as how we process, view the world, etc. - I don't believe there is a quantifiable mechanical difference between men and women as concerns Intelligence and Wisdom. So, I'm assuming men and women are equal in this regards also.

Constitution is a very general Ability (but then again, so are all the others) that combines many things into physical toughness, such as: ability to resist disease (bacteria, viruses, environmental damage, etc.), ability to resist poison, a quantification of structural/physical toughness, etc. If you look at each thing that makes up Constitution, there may be some that Men are more resitant to than Woman, but I think that the opposite may be true for others. Then if you break it down into different specific things (different viruses, diseases, etc.), you'll find differences there also. So in the end, I believe it's a wash.

Charisma combines too many things (personality, charm, attractiveness, etc.), that are all so subjective from the point of any individual viewer, that there's no way to say Men or Woman are "objectively" more or less Charismatic in comparison. There's no doubt that Men and Woman are different in how they project and utilize Charisma, but I don't think it's possible to nail down an objectively quantifiable difference. So, I'll call this one a wash also.

So, IMO the only thing that seems to present a clear and objective difference both mechanically and quantifiably, is Strength.

But for balance purposes, if one is instituting a penalty, one should also probably institute an offsetting bonus. So, with the above in mind, here's my Human Gender Adjustment Houserule(s):

Human Male: Race as written.
Human Female: -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity

or

Maximum Strength at 20th level (without magical or other enhancement): Male = 23, Female = 21
Maximum Dexterity at 20th level (without magical or other enhancement): Male and Female = 23

Strength Score / Male Minimum Weight / Female Minimum Weight
18 / 100+ lbs. / 100+ lbs.
19 / 110+ lbs. / 125+ lbs.
20 / 120+ lbs. / 160+ lbs.
21 / 135+ lbs. / 200+ lbs.
22 / 160+ lbs.
23 / 210+ lbs.

Also, height should be set accordingly. It's highly unlikely that a 120 lb., 6' tall Man is going to have a 20 Strength (5' would be more realistic).

This allows for starting scores making Males stronger and Females more dextrous, and carries those differences throughout charcter advancement (unless a player decides not to focus on those Abilities), but still limits those abilities at real-world maximums. It also requires a realistic body weight for comparable strength. So you don't have a an average Female Human (weighing say, 150 lbs.) having a 21 Strength (like Zena).

Or, you could ignore the bonus/penalty portion, and only enforce the Maximum Strength Limits. This way, you can have female characters that can start the game just as strongly as male characters (with 18 Strength), but still adhere to real-world limits.

Also, for your enjoyment or fodder (depending on each individuals preference), attached are the charts I used to record my "scentific" research. (Source was the list of current Olympic Weightlifting World Records: Clean & Jerk, from Wikipedia here).

Snatch and Clean & Jerk are the most comparable to the D&D "Lift Over Head", with "Lift" being a "Dead Lift" and "Drag/Pull" being self-explanatory. I used the Clean & Jerk category as the weights lifted were universally higher than the Snatch (and we are talking about Heroes here - they're obviously going to use the method with the best results).

These charts are based on 3/3.5E (where applicable). 3/3.5E and 4E are mostly comparable for ability scores/carry capacities, just with 4E using a more simplified method of calculation (that does cause some differences at different Strength scores, though nothing significant enough to change a Strength Score compared to real-world World Records). Also, 4E doesn't differentiate a "Lift Over Head" like 3/3.5E does - so, since the basic carry and lift weights are mostly comparable, I've made the assumption that the "Lift Over Head" weights would be comparable also.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Evil Mastermind posted:

This has always been utterly baffling to me. "HP totals are higher!" "XP costs are lower!" ...So?

In even the most simulationist mind in history, what does 'one hit point' mean? What does 'one experience point' look like and act like?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which post was that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's this thread.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

I think it's being blown out of proportion. In a system with randomly generated stats, it's quite possible for Joe the fighter to have a 14 strength while Jill the fighter with a minus two to her roll has a 16 strength. To me, it's just not a big deal.

I agree, I just find it unrealistic to have a female character with a 23 Strength (without magic or divine intercession). Or to have a 5'6", 120 pound female (or male) have a 21 Strength.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
EN World is the worst loving place ever

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's this thread.

dammit are we not behind the paywall anymore? make up your minds

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

dammit are we not behind the paywall anymore? make up your minds
I dunno, but I'm entertained by the whole "am I in grognards.txt :ohdear:" thing.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like it when this thread is described as a cesspit by people who post on theRPGsite

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I mean, it is a cesspit, but it's basically imported from their own posts, sooo

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ok, I know that this is a sensitive subject, but... In RPGs, should there be difference between genders?

This concept must be totally alien to younger gamers, but old school enworlders still remember the 70's. We had a game called "AD&D 1st edition". It was a massive game back in the day.
Halfling females had the lowest STR-cap, but if you made a male halfling character, the cap was higher. All genders had difference in weight, height and STR-cap. There was no benefit from playing a female character, and I don't remember anyone ever raising their voice over that issue. Nowadays we only have differences in size, and no one is arguing that. But that's where the differences end.

I also vaguely remember the same from Runequest, but the "physical frailness" of feminine gender was only applied to NPCs. No benefit was given to female NPCs, only some sort of penalty.

In my game I treat PC (creation of) women and men the same, although I feel really frustated about the fact that 150-lbs PC can have the same strength as 300-lbs PC... There are no weight-classes in D&D-wrestling, I guess... In my free-form game I take bodysize and weight strongly into account, and "girly" characters (men or women) are in a world of hurt. Of course this is not directly linked to gender-issue, but since females tend to be lighter, they tend to suffer in mêlée (block that big fist and end up on your a$$). But sneaking and hiding is easier in my freeform-game, if you're lighter.

So what's your opinion?
Men and women are the same, women just are lighter and shorter? In the farms 18-year old girls often participate in hauling the logs with men or is there some reason why women stay home and men do physical work in your fantasy world? Or do they?

You know this guy is 300 lb of pure onion rings.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Liesmith posted:

Its a cesspit alright but drat it, its not our cess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Liesmith posted:

Do they know we're quoting other people? I know this thread appeared there earlier and they didn't seem to grasp that we were quoting from elsewhere. I'm having this vision of them reading their own posts and commenting on us being a cesspit without ever once grasping what's happening.

Also I was quoted by name, never been prouder :allears: