Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
Just wanted to throw a quick congrats out there to this whole thread. If you have the core book PDF, on page 3, the Credits under Aid From Others is a nod to "The Something Awful Forums." Way to go Goons!

Also, the new Page XX is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Death to ability scores, eh? Not exactly a new sentiment around here.

Honestly the cranky fucks faction in RPGs is not a small group, and you have to at least pay lip service to them if you want to sell anything in this industry. We can all just be glad that this service comes in the form of, 'pointlessly obtuse mechanics,' and not the original plan, 'some classes get to live less interesting lives because they're jocks.'

Yeah. The obvious solution is just to make it +2 / +2 / +2 instead, and that's probably what I'd do for a longer-term game. It just seems a lot more satisfying than giving characters bonuses that add up to bupkis.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
This is sounding an awful lot like there was another release I didn't get :(

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Captain Farce posted:

This is sounding an awful lot like there was another release I didn't get :(

If you're a pre-order customer, you have an email from simon@news.pelgranepress.com in your inbox (or spam folder) with the subject line "13th Age Update" telling you to look on your order page. You can also go to the Order Tracking page at http://www.pelgranepress.com/service/tracking.asp and look it up there.

If you're a Kickstarter backer at a level where you get the core rulebook, you'll be getting an email from Gerald soon.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

The Chaos Shaman's character sheet consists of a handful of dice, a glass of water, a donut, a cockroach, and a D-cell battery.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

At Will cockroach seems pretty overpowered.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Only now noticed this game has no Warlord class. It was my favorite thing from 4E.

:negative:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 25, 2013

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Only now noticed this game has no Warlord class. It was my favorite thing from 4E.

:negative:

The first expansion book is going to have the Battle Captain though. That should help things.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Taran posted:

The first expansion book is going to have the Battle Captain though. That should help things.
That name makes it sound like a prestige class or something, pretty sure BC was a 4E paragon path.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jackard posted:

That name makes it sound like a prestige class or something, pretty sure BC was a 4E paragon path.

IT's a full class. The new classes in 13 True ways are Chaos Shaman, Monk, Druid, Battle Captain, Necromancer, and Occultist (Demon necromancer apparently).

EDIT: Chaos Shaman is 100% real. It's listed in the KS!

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 25, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I love what they did with the index in the back. Not only does it list page numbers, but if they could give a short-rear end description - they did it too!

Awesome looking PDF.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So because why the hell not, here's the first session of our group's campaign. We spent a good amount of the session kind of getting our feet wet with the system and learning our own characters but it got really fun towards the end. We just sort of recorded on a whim via callgraph so there's some missing sounds when we start messing with audio in the third part (the third part being where things get really wacky). There's also some bits where we respond directly to the text chat that the audio obviously didn't pick up.

Character Pogs
Session 1-A
Session 1-B
Session 1-C

Radioactive Bears - GM
Is the GM. Manages the game.
Shoopuf - Meesh, Human Sorcerer
Transplanted from another reality.
Pyradox - Amadeus, Elf Wizard
Uses technology instead of magic.
kidcoelacanth - Chroma, Human Fighter
Can see the "true colors" of others.
Sartorius - Kliide, Tiefling Rogue
Destined to steal something from each icon.
solidi (Hawk) - Tora, Dragonspawn Paladin
Starting a religion with himself as deity.

Hopefully it's relatively enjoyable to listen to, we had a ton of fun playing and we're psyched for our next session.

For those who actually went through all of it:
Chroma's theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNGbXIiP1q0
Tora has a drink, by Pyradox
Chroma's finishing blow, by kidcoelacanth

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 27, 2013

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like how the core rule book turned out. Getting a player's book, a dungeon master's guide, a bestiary, and a pregenerated adventure in one book is a sweet deal.

I noticed the book says to only allow fighters to swap out their maneuvers at level-up. I'm wondering if it would work if they could swap out maneuvers at a full heal-up? You know, like the Wizard's spellbook. For that matter, would that work with some of the other classes that get a list of abilities, like Rogue, or is that a trait best left for Wizards?

Also, when two of the three attribute modifiers you need for AC, PD, or MD are the same, which do you use? The higher or the lower? I've been going with the lower of the two so far.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Covok posted:

I noticed the book says to only allow fighters to swap out their maneuvers at level-up. I'm wondering if it would work if they could swap out maneuvers at a full heal-up? You know, like the Wizard's spellbook. For that matter, would that work with some of the other classes that get a list of abilities, like Rogue, or is that a trait best left for Wizards?

I doubt it'd break anything to let martial classes switch powers on a heal-up; the book does mention that you could let Fighters change more often if they have a good reason, so I suspect the difference is more due to flavour than balance.

quote:

Also, when two of the three attribute modifiers you need for AC, PD, or MD are the same, which do you use? The higher or the lower? I've been going with the lower of the two so far.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the higher/lower one, but you use the middle score after ordering them. If your three stats were 14, 14, 10, then your AC would be 14; if they were 16, 12, 12, then it'd be 12. Your defences aren't connected to a stat per se, so it doesn't matter which one's actually in the middle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zandar posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the higher/lower one, but you use the middle score after ordering them. If your three stats were 14, 14, 10, then your AC would be 14; if they were 16, 12, 12, then it'd be 12. Your defenses aren't connected to a stat per say, so it doesn't matter which one's actually in the middle.

That's exactly what I was referring to. I got into a situation like that during character generation. In hindsight, it should have been obvious to go with the repeating number. I don't know why I thought "go with the lower." Then again, the lower value was the repeating value so it works out.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The recap of my Saturday game, in which the PCs saw symbols of the icons of an earlier Age inscribed around a mysterious door: Fool, Crusader (a previous, not-dark one), Opener of Ways, Queen of Cups and Lady of Ravens.

The paladin, whose One Unique Thing is that he knows how the previous Ages ended, hit the castle archives to see if he could figure out which Age those icons were from.

He came across a brief mention of a living dungeon, which seemed to peg the door as being from the 2nd Age. And here's how the 2nd Age ended.

Given that they live in a poorly-defended city right up against the Orc Lord's territory, this is probably bad news.

Man, I've been waiting so long for this stuff to come to light.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

waderockett posted:

The recap of my Saturday game, in which the PCs saw symbols of the icons of an earlier Age inscribed around a mysterious door: Fool, Crusader (a previous, not-dark one), Opener of Ways, Queen of Cups and Lady of Ravens.

The paladin, whose One Unique Thing is that he knows how the previous Ages ended, hit the castle archives to see if he could figure out which Age those icons were from.

He came across a brief mention of a living dungeon, which seemed to peg the door as being from the 2nd Age. And here's how the 2nd Age ended.

Given that they live in a poorly-defended city right up against the Orc Lord's territory, this is probably bad news.

Man, I've been waiting so long for this stuff to come to light.

Wade, I need to move to your town and get on a waiting list for your game.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So we had a character creation/ general background session for our game tonight, and the GM made no mention of that worrisome advantages/drawbacks system, so I was quite relieved.

We ended up with the following party-

A gnome bard privateer who has the reincarnated soul of a proud and blustery pirate lord
A human archeologist who was cursed to have the head of a golden retriever.
The youngest Dark Elf Paladin to be appointed to the Queen's court, exiled due to some shenanigans involving a demonic plot.
A human rogue who was raised by wild animals before clawing his way into the gentry.
A spirit (asamir) from ages past, possessing the body of a sorcerer, the body, attempting to resist his control acts as his familiar.

And one of my friends, who thankfully tends to be very self aware about the deliberately horrible choices he makes, is playing a 1000 year old succubus (tiefling) cleric.

Ought to make for some interesting times.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Rob Heinsoo made a nice blog post about using Icon relationships in Shadowrun.

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2013/05/shadowruns-icons.html

Of specific 13th-Age interest, he mentioned this:

quote:

And speaking of criss-crossing, we only had 8 pages that needed revision from the 13th Age proofs today. The printing process is moving.

Great to hear. :)

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Glitterhaegen Nights had a fantastic session today. Needless to say ninety percent of it has been lost.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Murder Bear is still the best bear. Short story: We killed something statted for twice the party number we were at.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Yeah I kinda beefed it with the recording. Not sure if Callgraph screwed up or if it was operator error, but I'll be sure to babysit it next week.

Actually managed to drop one of the PCs to 0, finally! Combat ended before his turn came around again so he didn't have to make death saves, but still!

The party is pretty beefy, so for the centerpiece fight that was mostly even with 6 I didn't bother scaling it down for the 5 players who made it. And then the party went and picked a fight with the Thunderbird (Large and two levels above the party) which was supposed to be a noncombatant this time and just foreshadowing the next fight, and still managed to take it down (Barbarians throw serious damage).

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Kenderama posted:

Wade, I need to move to your town and get on a waiting list for your game.

That sounds like a sensible life plan to me! And we still don't have a rogue in the party.

PublicOpinion posted:

Actually managed to drop one of the PCs to 0, finally! Combat ended before his turn came around again so he didn't have to make death saves, but still!

Someone in the G+ community asked if anyone had used the Fight in Spirit rule yet. Anyone here? I've come close to dropping a PC to 0, but never quite.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've come close to using the Fight in Spirit rule. :v: But then that whole player discussion I mentioned (much earlier) started and we cancelled that encounter.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Being a rogue is definitely high risk, high reward. Unlike other systems that reward rogues with Dex bonuses to AC, I'm low in the party and have to rely on combat tricks (redirect/roll with it) and mobility (teleport, swashbuckle, tumbling attack). It's much more dynamic.

I'm still not as squishy as the bard, though. His pumpkin-rump needs rescuing constantly!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I actually love the Swashbuckle power. Sadly in my home game I got relegated to being the cleric (The offspring of a member of the Priestess' court who was raped by a demon who now is a follower of the Crusader. A cleric who is more interested in destroying demons under the heel of his boot rather than healing and being merciful.) instead of getting to be all DPS'y. :)

Sadly that also makes me a big fat target as well without all the combat tricks Golden Bee has :)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Golden Bee posted:

I'm still not as squishy as the bard, though. His pumpkin-rump needs rescuing constantly!

Yeah, my pumpkin gets soggy with blood after a round or two.

On another note, I am totally going to buy a copy of this book (or maybe more than one to share) after the GenCon release. Without PublicOpinion's game though, I would have probably never made the jump.

I was trying to get away from D&D as a system for a little while, as I felt it restrictive in a lot of aspects. I didn't care for the d20 concept of "modifier for every condition, add 19 integers," and I hated 4e's feat system. Both systems have something good in them, otherwise we (as a gaming community) would not continue to play them... but I still felt stifled, as both a player and a GM. Then I played with PO and the crew of Escalation Inc., and my views on a d20 system have changed. Gone is the counting of squares, the tedious negative modifier stacking (and recalculating), as well as the skill list, something that never seemed to fit into my games.

I really dig what I'm seeing, and I just wanted to say "Thank you" to everyone involved, from designers to GMs and playtesters.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, my pumpkin gets soggy with blood after a round or two.

On another note, I am totally going to buy a copy of this book (or maybe more than one to share) after the GenCon release. Without PublicOpinion's game though, I would have probably never made the jump.

I was trying to get away from D&D as a system for a little while, as I felt it restrictive in a lot of aspects. I didn't care for the d20 concept of "modifier for every condition, add 19 integers," and I hated 4e's feat system. Both systems have something good in them, otherwise we (as a gaming community) would not continue to play them... but I still felt stifled, as both a player and a GM. Then I played with PO and the crew of Escalation Inc., and my views on a d20 system have changed. Gone is the counting of squares, the tedious negative modifier stacking (and recalculating), as well as the skill list, something that never seemed to fit into my games.

I really dig what I'm seeing, and I just wanted to say "Thank you" to everyone involved, from designers to GMs and playtesters.

I've been really spoiled with our group. This was my first ever d20 game and campaign and it has been great. I can't really compare to other game systems (save a lot of podcasts), but this is so much fun.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
13 True Way backers, there's what looks like a new Monk preview out. I haven't had time to look through the maths, but the Backhand/Fist/Kick damage scale seems to work well with the Opener/Flow/Finisher, and they've provided a lot of options for monks in the form of the Three Deadly Secrets. Worth a look!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not seeing many changes from the earlier Monk playtest honestly, seems like they didn't change much. Some of the new scaling dice is pretty nice, but overall it seems to be the same.

I'm still angry that Ki seems to be reliant on taking certain feats, that seems like a waste of a Class ability.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm not seeing many changes from the earlier Monk playtest honestly, seems like they didn't change much. Some of the new scaling dice is pretty nice, but overall it seems to be the same.

I'm still angry that Ki seems to be reliant on taking certain feats, that seems like a waste of a Class ability.

This is how I'm feeling about it at the moment. Good job making the numbers line up a bit better, but you've still got what's supposed to be a major class feature that is only really usable by spending feats. Honestly, I feel you could just straight up gut the Ki system and the monk class wouldn't change all that much.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else think that if you have to put a dice rolling convention guide to simplify rolling 10D6 damage every time you hit, maybe it would have been better design to just have you roll fewer dice in the first place?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

How does this game consistently just miss the awesome? Forms sound wonderfully fun, but in practice they are one of the most annoying mechanics I'm aware of and simply constrain your options. Actually that's my problem with this whole game; there's a vast amount of good ideas to loot, but it runs on a Fiction Last model that's really annoying in play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually like that Ki doesn't have a default use. Otherwise everything that uses Ki would be evaluated against that use.

Did anyone actually prefer Consumes a use of turn undead?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Another awesome session. We played "Warball" (a game invented role-by-role by the players, with the GM making the map). Our team won 3-0. I celebrated by knocking the opposing goalie unconscious with a huge, record-damage slap.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Also our bard managed to do a shitton of damage in one attack. Shattered my record 48 by a mile.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

96 damage? That's not even my strongest spell.

I really dug tonight's session, and thought that it was run really well. The whole mechanics of the game we made on the spot was really cool, and made it one of the more fun sessions I've had.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

moths posted:

I actually like that Ki doesn't have a default use. Otherwise everything that uses Ki would be evaluated against that use.

Did anyone actually prefer Consumes a use of turn undead?

No, but I'd like Ki to be something worth it. I mean it's a core class feature, let's make it something worthy of that.

neonchameleon posted:

How does this game consistently just miss the awesome? Forms sound wonderfully fun, but in practice they are one of the most annoying mechanics I'm aware of and simply constrain your options. Actually that's my problem with this whole game; there's a vast amount of good ideas to loot, but it runs on a Fiction Last model that's really annoying in play.

What? I loving love the forms and how they flow. Honestly it's one of the best parts of the monk's current design. Care to elaborate on what you mean?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing with Ki is you opt into it, and your monk's Ki power is a result of a conscious player decision. It's a class customization option that costs a feat. But it's cleaner to tie into a feat than bringing back the 3x text of At level X choose a class feature from the following list: and giving you one less feat because it's an efficient use of the game's language.

I also thought it was dumb as bricks at first, but it grew on me.

One thing I absolutely cannot forgive is that they hosed up Haiku combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

moths posted:

One thing I absolutely cannot forgive is that they hosed up Haiku combos.

God I know, I was so sad to see it go I'm working on rewriting all the current names (By the way, the opener for "Heaven's Thunder" still doesn't have a name :argh:) to fit the old Haiku theme. It's pretty fun so far.

• Locked thread