Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Jess Phillips but I don't think speaking in terms of "stabbing in the back" vs "stabbing in the front" in politics is a direct threat. She's a poo poo for being the kind of person that is doing far, far more harm than good to her party for selfish reasons but I don't really think she made a direct threat on Corbyn's life, given that backstabbing is a well known political metaphor, going back to the days of Ancient Greece.

It certainly is a direct threat, but it isn't a death threat. Of course, this is a meaningless semantic quibble, because what's objectionable here is that she and her ilk are trying to blackmail their own party because they don't get to be in charge anymore after losing a fair election. Going all "but I didn't actually threaten to kill Corbyn" is just a weaksauce attempt at deflection from the real issue.

e: 1995: A bunch of Norwegians almost end the world.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

She's a chemist first and foremost as far as I know, that she went to space was sort of secondary to her chemistry career whereas I gather the guy going up today was trained intentionally as an astronaut and will be up there longer than a week, I assume?

Yes, she's a chemist but underwent a rigorous selection process and 18 months of astronaut training before going on the mission. It's not like she was just randomly picked and bundled aboard a rocket or something.

Granted though, the Indy is pretty poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Yes, she's a chemist but underwent a rigorous selection process and 18 months of astronaut training before going on the mission. It's not like she was just randomly picked and bundled aboard a rocket or something.

Granted though, the Indy is pretty poo poo.

I don't really understand the distinction myself unless the brag is "we can afford to spend money to help crew the ISS"

They might also just not have bothered to look it up properly.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the sad thing is Phillips is easily one of the better birmingham mps

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She comes across as a right berk in writing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pedantic fucks of UKMT:

After the Challenger disaster the official UK government stance on manned spaceflight turned extremely sour, and they cancelled all participation in manned missions. So while there have been several other British nationals who were astronauts, most actually had to take US citizenship to do it. And while Helen Sharman was the first Briton in space, she was sponsored by a private consortium and Russia.

So yes amazingly enough, Tim Peake is actually the first official fully paid up British astronaut.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 15, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

tooterfish posted:

. So while there have been several other British nationals who were astronauts, most actually had to take US citizenship to do it

That doesn't stop them being British, though. These days the UK and the US are both chill with dual citizenship.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I don't think you have to be on an official government assignment to count as the first person from a country to do something.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

tooterfish posted:

And while Helen was the first Briton in space, she was sponsored by a private consortium and Russia.

Not to get all Pissflaps here, but what you're saying is that Helen Sharman was the first British astronaut. Something OwlFancier and I both agree on.

The source of the funding that sends someone to space has no bearing on their nationality.

/Pissflaps

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If Andy Murray had been on the Challenger shuttle, he'd be Scottish

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Not to get all Pissflaps here, but what you're saying is that Helen Sharman was the first British astronaut. Something OwlFancier and I both agree on.

The source of the funding that sends someone to space has no bearing on their nationality.

/Pissflaps
The source of funding has no bearing on their nationality, but it has bearing on whether they're an official representative or not...

Astronauts aren't "the people who go into space", they're "the people employed by NASA who go into space". Go tell Putin that Gagarin was a Russian astronaut, see how quickly you get white phosphorous dropped on you. Besides the point though, Helen wasn't an official representative of the UK, she wasn't sent by the UK.

feedmegin posted:

That doesn't stop them being British, though. These days the UK and the US are both chill with dual citizenship.
But they weren't sent by the British government, they were sent by the US. Tim has been sent by the British government, he's the first official UK astronaut.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 15, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tooterfish posted:

The source of funding has no bearing on their nationality, but it has bearing on whether they're an astronaut or not...

Astronauts aren't "the people who go into space", they're "the people employed by NASA who go into space". Go tell Putin that Gagarin was a Russian astronaut, see how quickly you get white phosphorous dropped on you.

I don't think NASA has trademarked the word "astronaut"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronaut

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Holy poo poo, this is the most Blairite loving nonsense I've ever read. He starts off well by acknowledging that the "Corbyn is unelectable!" argument just makes the Blairites look bad but then goes on not to list a single coherent reason why he doesn't want Corbyn to be PM, instead name dropping a bunch of Labour greats (and Harriet Harman) who Corbyn doesn't live up to in his estimation and then a bunch of Labour Party rules lawyering as to why by voting against Labour he'll only be going against the rules that you have to support the Labour Party for the few seconds he's actually voting so he'll only need to resign his membership for one day.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think NASA has trademarked the word "astronaut"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronaut
Yes you're right, I was just trying to Pissflaps back.

No bearing on my points anyway though. See my edits.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think anyone literally believed Jess Philips was going to murder Jeremy Corbyn, however saying you're going to knife someone is what we would probably call "threatening language" were it coming from anybody other than her.

Which is the objection.

No, calling it threatening language is ridiculous.
If someone had just arrived from the moon and ever heard the very common expression 'to stab in the back' before I could understand the confusion. Maybe you'd also be confused someone says they 'could murder a curry'. But this just looks like people seizing any opportunity no matter how tenuous to attack an MP who isn't on their side. It's a bit sad that they can't address her actual message and feel they have to resort to this. Smells of insecurity.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

If someone had just arrived from the moon and ever heard the very common expression 'to stab in the back' before I could understand the confusion. Maybe you'd also be confused someone says they 'could murder a curry'. But this just looks like people seizing any opportunity no matter how tenuous to attack an MP who isn't on their side. It's a bit sad that they can't address her actual message and feel they have to resort to this. Smells of insecurity.

This is literally what the press have been doing when it was the public on twitter responding to Labour MP's voting in favour of bombing Syria.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think it's probably just people pretending to be idiots on the internet to wind up Jess Phillips MP, a laudable goal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ouBFh04DU
(Starts about 1:40)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

Except labour supporters have been accused of all sorts of threatening behaviour even when they aren't doing anything remotely threatening.

Apparently holding a prayer vigil outside an empty MP's office constitutes threatening behaviour to some people in the PLP.

So I drat well expect them to put their loving brains in gear before they open their stupid mouths.

Her message is poo poo, same as all the blairites who whine to the papers complaining about "poor communication" like shouting at your boss from the car park is the proper way to resolve a workplace dispute. But on top of that she should loving well know better, when MPs are whining left and right about the horrible threats they've received in the form of their constitutes writing letters to them to express their preferences and when, in the same loving article, she goes on about wanting threats of deselection to be crushed, to not open her goddamn mouth and talk about how she's going to stab jeremy corbyn in the back or the front, which is neither remotely loving appropriate language or at all in keeping with her own loving complaint in the first place!

She's a twat and she can go on the heap of other PLP twats who don't deserve their offices.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

tooterfish posted:

The source of funding has no bearing on their nationality, but it has bearing on whether they're an official representative or not...

Astronauts aren't "the people who go into space", they're "the people employed by NASA who go into space". Go tell Putin that Gagarin was a Russian astronaut, see how quickly you get white phosphorous dropped on you. Besides the point though, Helen wasn't an official representative of the UK, she wasn't sent by the UK.
But they weren't sent by the British government, they were sent by the US. Tim has been sent by the British government, he's the first official UK astronaut.

Technically, he's a cosmonaut

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey I thought I was the only person who'd listened to him.

E: I think we could do with a UKMT version of this replacing NSA with GCHQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJ2VDTQWSI

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 15, 2015

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is literally what the press have been doing when it was the public on twitter responding to Labour MP's voting in favour of bombing Syria.

So?

Are you saying that makes it ok and not ridiculous? Because some idiots in the press did a similar thing?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Baron Corbyn posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the most Blairite loving nonsense I've ever read. He starts off well by acknowledging that the "Corbyn is unelectable!" argument just makes the Blairites look bad but then goes on not to list a single coherent reason why he doesn't want Corbyn to be PM, instead name dropping a bunch of Labour greats (and Harriet Harman) who Corbyn doesn't live up to in his estimation and then a bunch of Labour Party rules lawyering as to why by voting against Labour he'll only be going against the rules that you have to support the Labour Party for the few seconds he's actually voting so he'll only need to resign his membership for one day.

If labour had fought the Conservatives half as hard as they’re fighting Corbyn maybe they would have won.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

So?

Are you saying that makes it ok and not ridiculous? Because some idiots in the press did a similar thing?

Yes. Pointing out hypocrisy is good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

If labour had fought the Conservatives half as hard as they’re fighting Corbyn maybe they would have won.

I just assume the ones really going for Corbyn are the really obvious business plants being told to get Labour back on script or there will be consequences. But this is because in my weakness I have to believe they're being this loving stupid for a reason other than they were always this terrible. Years of private education producing nothing but a badly programmed robot.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think if they genuinely believe it was a violent threat they are idiots, but if they are just pretending to believe that in order to wind up an MP then that is funny.

I also think we can hold professional politicians and random anonymous internet people to different standards and that Jess Phillips is deliberately focusing on the people who ostensibly believe it to be a serious threat in order to avoid having to answer the much larger group of people addressing the substance of what she was saying because it was stupid.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I just assume the ones really going for Corbyn are the really obvious business plants being told to get Labour back on script or there will be consequences. But this is because in my weakness I have to believe they're being this loving stupid for a reason other than they were always this terrible. Years of private education producing nothing but a badly programmed robot.

They're not all business plants some of them are cia plants

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yes. Pointing out hypocrisy is good.

Engaging in is not the same as pointing out.

Not sure though that the MP in question did respond with deliberate misinterpretation of public tweets to find threats where none existed. But don't follow them all so could be mistaken.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/15/revealed-prince-charles-has-received-confidential-cabinet-papers-for-decades

Prince charles has been receiving confidential documents for ages including stuff on upcoming legislation. This is far bigger than the useless poo poo that was in his letters

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/15/revealed-prince-charles-has-received-confidential-cabinet-papers-for-decades

Prince charles has been receiving confidential documents for ages including stuff on upcoming legislation. This is far bigger than the useless poo poo that was in his letters

Son on same mailing list as mother, is that really shocking news?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

I have a hard time being concerned about this, to be honest. I mean, if the Queen pops her clogs he's going to be expected to know about what's going on in his capacity as our Head of State anyway. Think of him as being like the Vice President. :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Son on same mailing list as mother, is that really shocking news?
Well, if random plebs in the security services started giving copies of files to their kids I think it would be.

I'd bet money that Mark was got the inside on some of the things going on with Maggie though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but Prince Charles isn't a random pleb.

and yeah, clearly Mark Thatcher got some major benefits from being his mother's son.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cerv posted:

Engaging in is not the same as pointing out.

Not sure though that the MP in question did respond with deliberate misinterpretation of public tweets to find threats where none existed. But don't follow them all so could be mistaken.

Given the trend of the PLP (supported by the press) to cry bullying and threats at the slightest little piece of criticism by Corbyn supporters, I'm not going to hold it against the latter when they get a little pleasure from one of the shits being subjected to the same level of pedantic scrutiny and blowing up as a result.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Yeah this would sort of seem to be a bit necessary given that the Monarch is still involved in government somewhat, I mean, the privy council is the basis for security briefings so, er, you'd expect the successor to be part of that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Yeah but Prince Charles isn't a random pleb.
I think for republicans this is the key issue here.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

yeah I get that, but given the UK is actually a monarchy this story is perhaps not really a scandal?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

We've all collectively bought into the lie that royalty are just ceremonial and don't wield any actual political power, and this kinda pulls the veil back on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

You can deffo complain about the monarchy in general, and I suppose Charlie on the basis he's probably going to be shite compared to his mam, but as we are a constitutional monarchy it's sort of just how it has to work.

• Locked thread