Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

bradsh posted:

Endings.

Yes, the endings are stupid. It really makes me not want to play through the end sequence again. The rest of the game is solid gold (except for the weird and seemingly random cutscene glitches) and the end, I honestly can't figure out how they would manage to screw up that one part so much.

In regards to the synthesis ending, Invisible War had the same ending. Only it involved a holographic Statue of Liberty; it still made more sense.

Seriously BioWare, I hate ragging on you like this, but this game managed to actually surpass my expectations, then you throw those endings out there. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

You know it really loving bothers me that to destroy the reapers you have to destroy the geth even after I went through all that trouble to save them and talked about how they were alive and the only other alternative available to me is controlling the reapers which 5 minutes ago Shepard was talking about how dumb that is..

Also with this being the end of the trilogy and all how can they seriously not give us any closure of all the major decisions we've made? It feels super lovely to have them all devolve into +5 War Effort.

I loved the game until I got to the ending and now I want to uninstall.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 10, 2012

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Goddamn it, I'm not a fan of losing two hours of initial Citadel stuff because the Kasumi mission bugs itself out and becomes incomplete able if you do other stuff while it's running.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Jesus, who would do that?

I did that. I'm doing a 100% renegade playthrough for my first run, I had to call my wife over because I knew the conclusion would be hosed up. When that scene came my wife just said "You're a monster" and walked away.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know if the Dialogue Battle music is on youtube?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Attention anyone, if you allowed these scenes to take place then you are the worst person. Every single person is better than you. Some species of lizard are also better.
I am the worst person. I replayed ME2 as a full on Renegade and made my whole crew survivie. I didn't think picking every Renengade option would result in me killing Wrex and Mordin. I felt so bad about killing Mordin. That's why I'm going to replay this game in a Paragon playthrough. It was painful doing those bad things.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Multiplayer thing I just found out. If you start charging the Graal Spike Thrower as an infiltrator, you can cloak after you hit charge then run around, shoot something fully charged, and still be cloaked.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Great game, but I'm more disappointed in the ending than I was with any other game this console generation. I didn't even get any 'ending choices,' just automatically got the Org/Syn Merge. The whole ending segment is a giant miscarriage no matter what, apparently. Atleast my actions matter in Tactics Ogre!

TerminalBlue posted:

Goddamn it, I'm not a fan of losing two hours of initial Citadel stuff because the Kasumi mission bugs itself out and becomes incomplete able if you do other stuff while it's running.

This happened to me too, and it pisses me off because Kasumi's my bro. Sis. ...Kin person.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Um, so am I being punished with lovely endings because I have max war points? Does it close out lovely endings if I have slightly under the best?

What is going on?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

The Grimace posted:

This happened to me too, and it pisses me off because Kasumi's my bro. Sis. ...Kin person.

For what it's worth, I'm at least glad I didn't just say 'gently caress it', because that sidequest was pretty awesome, if a little short.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

Um, so am I being punished with lovely endings because I have max war points? Does it close out lovely endings if I have slightly under the best?

What is going on?

All the endings are poo poo. Sorry bro.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Oh. Well.

This game was 10/10. The final segments, magnificent. Then. Well. You guys know.

Wow. What the gently caress.

I am shellshocked.

Errr, does anyone know the rest of the endings/variations? Is there a link? I just...don't want to replay this again.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Pladdicus posted:

Oh. Well.

This game was 10/10. The final segments, magnificent. Then. Well. You guys know.

I am shellshocked.

Errr, does anyone know the rest of the endings/variations? Is there a link? I just...don't want to replay this again.

Just imagine the same thing except orange/blue/green.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

Oh. Well.

I am shellshocked.

They are all exactly the same except the color changes. I am completely serious. Actually the control ending is slightly ambiguous as I think the citadel survives. Ironically this is the best ending. You can find them on youtube, but it takes a bit of searching.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

Just imagine the same thing except orange/blue/green.

Oh my good lord, please. This. My heart hurts. I think I am dying.

Allow me a moment to check.

Ah. Yep. Dying. I think the best ending is probably where I lose and everything blows up. I am going to take this as my One True Canon.

I am forever recommending people get as close to 0 EMS as possible.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I really don't think the endings we have right now are going to be final. I get the feeling the DLC or ME4 is going to pretty much retcon all of it away.

The thing is, everything up until the last 5 minutes had a lot of thought and really good characterization put into it. Then...well! They obviously didn't think them through.

So it's wise to be mad at the endings now so Bioware will probably/hopefully redo them.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
I actually never thought I'd feel so strongly about an ending to a videogame, but here I am. Good job Bioware, I guess.

And it's not even about Shepard dying, because that's really the least of the things bothering me. It's the fact that it nullifies your shaping of the world completely. Suddenly you're told that synthetics and organics cannot coexist no matter what just because. Despite there being a chance of your actions throughout the games doing just that with Quarian/Geth and EDI. Shepard can't even call out the Deus Ex Kid on that, which sucks. You unified the galaxy [or didn't], mended old wounds [or didn't] and in the end it's not important at all what you did. They've made it so that the only important choice in the 3 games is choosing the color of the beam at the very end.

Apart from the ending itself, [mid-game spoilers]I didn't like what the 'monumental' decisions you made in previous games amounted to. For example, it really seemed like A Big Deal to choose between saving and killing that Rachni Queen, and in the end the impact is 100 points for the crucible. I'm pretty sure you can make that much by simply doing fetch quests and taking sides in the conversations on Citadel. That was a major downer right there for me. And now I read that if you do kill her in ME1, a Stuntman Queen appears instead. Seriously? We couldn't even have it being simply a bad decision to save the Queen? That Ravagers only appear if we did as an extra enemy for the player to handle and lower the total EMS due to the fact that Rachni help the reapers now? I'd feel much better because it would make my decision way back seem more meaningful than just getting 100 points.

Which brings me to the fact that multiplayer has more influence on Effective Military Strength than your decisions from the previous two games. Well that makes the whole ordeal a bit pointless, doesn't it. It feels like they wanted the game to be more accessible as a stand-alone, and that's why they had to gut so many things and offset them with multiplayer giving you EMS, so that newcomers wouldn't be boned in regards to attaining the 'better' endings.

It also just hit me how [endgame EDI spoilers]they tried to make it so that EDI is not shown as a completely benevolent AI, and to show that maybe Deus Ex Kid is right by saying that synthetics and organics cannot co-exist since it doesn't take much for an AI to turn. A big deal, that's supposed to change the way Shepard, and the player, look at the world. And it was done by having an optional reveal on a console in the Cerberus base that she was the Luna base AI. :what:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really don't think the endings we have right now are going to be final. I get the feeling the DLC or ME4 is going to pretty much retcon all of it away.

The thing is, everything up until the last 5 minutes had a lot of thought and really good characterization put into it. Then...well!

So it's wise to be mad at the endings now so Bioware will probably/hopefully redo them.

This, exactly. I loved the entire game up until the very end, and I'm relieved to come online and find that- hey, I'm not alone! What the gently caress.

Seriously though, the smart thing to do would be to patch the game for free. Paid DLC to get the "real, true" ending is a gigantic 'gently caress you.' I really hope more people continue to voice their discontent though.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The thing is, everything up until the last 5 minutes had a lot of thought and really good characterization put into it. Then...well!

This, 100x. The ending leading up was like holy poo poo so cool. Then it was like...urgh

I actually tried to walk awaym y first time, but I got to the ledge and there was like, texture blurring/tearing as I guess they didn't expect anybody to ever turn away from these three amazing choices. *ugh*

There's really no like, amount of EMS that prevents these endings and gives me the one I expected?

Y'know, crucible does poo poo all, but the fleet wins anyway because the galaxy learned to get along and the Geth and Quarians are cuddlebuds and the reapers are no more and we exist in peace/trasncendence of what life truly is. The EXACT SAME MESSAGE THEY DID EXCEPT LESS...UGH.SO DUMB. *madmadmad*

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Endgame, Non-storyline spoilers:

I just noticed that the Stargazer was voiced by Buzz Aldrin. That's a nice touch.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I just finished the game and I never saw Kelly or Conrad Verner, probably a few others anywhere. Did I not visit the Citadel enough or something?

Also, that god damned ending. Kind of like Deus Ex 1, except not being good at all. I did the merge with Helios green/synthesis ending, and Youtubed the other two, and I'm just grumpy as hell now.

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 10, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I just finished the game and I never saw Kelly or Conrad Verner, probably a few others anywhere. Did I not visit the Citadel enough or something?

The Conrad quest is kind of glitchy (it's very easy to accidentally skip to the end, and he just pops up out of nowhere). Kelly I am pretty sure was killed off screen in between games.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's nice that your choices, did actually matter, even if it was just a numerical value.

The thing is Stuntman Queen isn't really a Rachni, she's just a Frankenstein Rachni made from Rachni corpses. If I recall, if you save her she ends up turning on you and removes some of your war assets- so while your choice of letting the queen live or die "doesn't matter" to that ME3 mission, but it does matter if the Rachni help or hinder you.

I learned just today that you don't see Kelly if you didn't have dinner with her. I'm not willing to go back on my ME2 save to see her just yet. I don't know about Conrad either, he showed up when I fixed the dispensors.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
As someone who's nowhere near the ending, I'd like to say that the beginning sucked balls too. It would have been so much better if there was a bit of Shepard being like, "Hey guys the Reapers? Like seriously, they're going to gently caress us up. Hey. HEY! Where are you going? You know, I let the last council die because they did this kind of poo poo to me. Oh dammit." And then maybe some hints that the Reapers were about to start their invasion, Shepard investigates, then boom, invasion.

Like just an hour of tutorial-like poo poo before suddenly Earth is lost. As it was done, the game starts off like Aliens would've if the opening credits were followed by the part where they find that colonist stuck to the wall instead of everybody just saying Ripley was a crazy person until suddenly her rantings started to make undeniable sense at which point they turn to her.

It all just came off as so incredibly disjointed and forced.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 10, 2012

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's nice that your choices, did actually matter, even if it was just a numerical value.

That's actually what hurt it for me the most. They give you numbers that are quantifiable and you can see that the Big Decision amounts to two or one multiplayer matches.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

Zagrod posted:

It also just hit me how [endgame EDI spoilers]they tried to make it so that EDI is not shown as a completely benevolent AI, and to show that maybe Deus Ex Kid is right by saying that synthetics and organics cannot co-exist since it doesn't take much for an AI to turn. A big deal, that's supposed to change the way Shepard, and the player, look at the world. And it was done by having an optional reveal on a console in the Cerberus base that she was the Luna base AI. :what:

This thread is getting ridiculous with all the spoiler text, but I feel the need to respond to this:

The problem with the synthetic/organic situation is that any being, synthetic or organic, can choose to not be benevolent. Catalysts argument really isn't a good argument whatsoever.

With that said, Catalyst exists as a force for Order. It's wants to cull organics so that they don't create AI that in turn cull organics. My argument is that if AI's destroy all civilizations, wouldn't that also be a return to order?

I hope that, with all the flak over the endings to this game, that Bioware doesn't hastily rush out something DLC-like to retcon the endings. I don't find the endings to be totally abhorrent, but the length and content don't seem to meld with the series completely. They just... needed more expose and more polish, I'd say?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TheJoker138 posted:

Wow, gently caress this.

E: Not in a "gently caress this, it's horribly done" way but a "what kind of sick gently caress would do THAT?" way.

For a moment, they actually managed to reach Planescape: Torment levels of character evil. I'm almost impressed in an utterly horrified way. It's especially good how Mordin's words in the Evil (not Renegade: Evil) path are almost the same as in the Paragon path. Only instead of reassuring you that he's making the right choice, he's throwing it in your face, damning you with his conviction. Shep throwing her gun away in disgust after taking the shot just sells it.

Honestly, after seeing the bad side of that scene, if you choose that willingly - and not in a 'I wonder what would happen if' way - you are an irredeemable monster.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Also, that god damned ending. Kind of like Deus Ex 1, except not being good at all. I did the merge with Helios green/synthesis ending, and Youtubed the other two, and I'm just grumpy as hell now.

Kelly is found in the refugee camps on the Citadel. She dies off screen in game unless you warn her that Cerberus is after her and that she should change her identity and appearance. Conrad Verner is also in the game and appears in the refugee camps after the Citadel Invasion

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

jonjonaug posted:

Kelly I am pretty sure was killed off screen in between games.

Not for me. She kept my fish for me in between games. Which pretty much makes her the most important character ever in my opinion.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
The game is over, give it up guys. Bioware trolled the gently caress out of us. They did it on purpose because the fanbase is quite frankly insufferable and this was the best way to take revenge on their whining. Now they'll beat a dead horse when they make the MMO which will be a terrible game using the SWToR engine.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So serious question now

Would people actually be interested in a Broken Steel sort of ending dlc pack that changed it up?

Personally I'd gladly drop 10$ bucks easy.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

randombattle posted:

So serious question now

Would people actually be interested in a Broken Steel sort of ending dlc pack that changed it up?

After that ending? Yes. Maybe that's the point, a nigh guaranteed DLC buyer base.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Does the post credits ending change at all based on ending, or is the sky like, loving green or something.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

randombattle posted:

So serious question now

I would watch it on youtube. I'm kinda DONE with mass effect. Bioware clearly didn't give a poo poo in the end.

Popy fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 10, 2012

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

For anyone curious about the Master and Commander Achievement:

In order to get this achievement, you need to do some multiplayer. I haven't quantified exactly how many Effective War Assets you need, but I'm assuming it's over 5000 (I did it with 7075, maxed). This achievement will trigger when you attack the Cerberus base/station, not at the ending sequence.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

randombattle posted:

So serious question now

No. As someone who didn't give a poo poo about the launch day DLC people were up in arms about, expecting people to pay for DLC that fixes the terrible ending for your game is completely unacceptable. I'd just watch it on Youtube.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Has anyone attempted the "worst" possible playthrough yet? That is, running through the trilogy with the fewest number of possible squad mates.

Mass Effect 1: Killing Kaiden/Ashley and Wrex. Forgetting to recruit Garrus.

Mass Effect 2: Killing all but two of your squadmates (you need a bare minimum of two to for Shepherd to survive). Even the ones that don't return as squad mates play critical plot roles in ME3 so I'd be interested in seeing this done with only Kasumi and Zaeed surviving because their roles in ME3 are relatively minor. Also not doing the Shadow Broker DLC.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I was sure they'd go for two endings - one where you defeat the Reapers and galactic civilization stays intact, followed by a text and/or cutscene dump of epilogues possibly narrated by Matriarch Liara; or a Chrono Trigger style "BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE" ending, which you get if you die during the last fight or something. Hire me Bioware, I got laid off last week :smith:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Psyker posted:

For anyone curious about the Master and Commander Achievement:

In order to get this achievement, you need to do some multiplayer. I haven't quantified exactly how many Effective War Assets you need, but I'm assuming it's over 5000 (I did it with 7075, maxed). This achievement will trigger when you attack the Cerberus base/station, not at the ending sequence.

I got the achievement with 4900 effective war assets out of just over 7k total, 70 something readiness. It's not over 5000. Maybe 4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

So has anyone gone to the upper bar in purgatory and had a few too many drinks yet?

If you haven't, you should.

• Locked thread