Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What I think made Chappelle's death so impactful was that he was neither a really bad guy nor a really heroic guy. He was just really ordinary, kind of a jerk but mostly unremarkable. He didn't "earn" a death scene in either a positive or negative way. Which in some sense makes it easier for us to relate to. It's uniquely chilling to see a terrorist demand the death of someone he doesn't even know or have any personal vendetta against, and succeed.

No one is really afraid to die a heroic death, but dying randomly without any loved ones around you is a thought that probably haunts us all at one point or another.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Losing Palmer, Michelle and then supposedly losing Tony a few episodes later were the hardest for me, but they were always my favorite characters. Teri's didn't hit that hard since I started watching in season 2 and already knew she was dead.

Chappelle's death was definitely the most brutal to watch, though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a goddamn pussy - the only time that 24 really made me get weepy was Jack's near death in season seven.

The scene where the muslim imam gives Jack an informal last rites just hit me deep, deep in the gut.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Has anybody posited yet that the (spoilers from the preview) casket shown in the preview will be for Kate's now exonerated husband? They probably didn't give him a state funeral before but now that they know the truth he'll be re-buried with honor Seems like a perfect way to have what appears to be a spoilery image in the preview but it doesn't actually spoil anything.

When did they ever state he was dead?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Mr Beens posted:

A couple episodes ago, when Jack was talking to Kate after they found that the evidence against him was planted. She said he killed himself shortly after being convicted.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Two episodes ago, I think? Kate tells Jack.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Ahh right, must have missed that

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The way they unceremoniously killed off Michelle and fake-killed Tony in season 5 did kind of irk me. They were our classic long-running characters. It's not like the season 5 opener wasn't already crazy as hell with Palmer getting sniped. And his death caused a lot of ramifications and really got explored whereas Michelle Dessler was just "surprise! she dead."

thathonkey posted:

IIRC they filmed two endings of season 1. One had Teri live, the other did not. Kudos to whoever had the balls to pick the latter!
Every time I watched the first season, I watched the alternate ending after the original breaks me. It's basically a form of therapy.

hypersleep posted:

That's why Chappelle's death has the most impact of all 24 deaths.

God, this show used to be so loving good. :smith:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rewatching S1 right now, Jack was much closer to (obligatory D&D morality chart reference here) somewhere between lawful good and neutral good. He's definitely become more chaotic as the show progressed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VagueRant posted:

God, this show used to be so loving good. :smith:
Used to be? Have you not seen any of this season?

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Used to be? Have you not seen any of this season?

As someone who was really burnt out on 24 for seasons 6-8, I'm way into this season and think it's up there with 1-3, which in my mind is a small trilogy of TV perfection.

Season 2 remains my favorite.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How come nobody's talking about Lynn McGill? :argh: He infuriated me so much.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Oliver Reed posted:

As someone who was really burnt out on 24 for seasons 6-8, I'm way into this season and think it's up there with 1-3, which in my mind is a small trilogy of TV perfection.

Season 5 was the best season, this is an objective scientific fact.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Bob Morales posted:

How come nobody's talking about Lynn McGill? :argh: He infuriated me so much.

His druggie sister and her idiot boyfriend had the dumbest scheme ever. "yeah this shady stranger is just going to give us cash for a stolen access card to a high security govt building and then leave us alone"

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

ElwoodCuse posted:

His druggie sister and her idiot boyfriend had the dumbest scheme ever. "yeah this shady stranger is just going to give us cash for a stolen access card to a high security govt building and then leave us alone"

... they were crackheads. Of course something like that would work on them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twee as gently caress posted:

Season 5 was the best season, this is an objective scientific fact.
That entire thing was crazy. Gotta love some crazy Logan.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Oliver Reed posted:

I just wish all that Kim poo poo could be cut out. It really was pointless and added nothing to the plot

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The first two seasons were really tight political thrillers. If Jack's family had just stayed at CTU after the attack on Gaines' compound until Teri gets shot, instead of floating off into disastrous subplots it would be a perfect season. Same with the Kim plotline in season 2.

Though the Kim subplot was a nice idea at first - it would give the perspective of normal citizens as they react to the news of a nuclear bomb. It's something they never did before or since but they ruined it by having Kim in danger from a million unrelated reasons.

The later seven seasons are quite a step down.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Apparently they are having a 24 panel at Comic-Con. Hopefully they will use that opportunity to announce season 10.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Ravel posted:

Though the Kim subplot was a nice idea at first - it would give the perspective of normal citizens as they react to the news of a nuclear bomb. It's something they never did before or since but they ruined it by having Kim in danger from a million unrelated reasons.

Kim gunning down the evil dad was extremely satisfying.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah, gently caress that guy for breaking up Kelly and Zach.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah it's all worth it for "shoot him again".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The worst deaths for me, in order, were Chappelle, Edgar, Hassan, Bill, and George Mason. Though with Mason the one that was actually harder to watch was the scene with Tony where he walks out of CTU knowing he's done. Also Renee's death too.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know why nobody is affected by Curtis' death. Just the look on his face after Jack blasts him in the neck kills me.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was happy when Edgar died because he was such an annoying character with a horrible speech impediment.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

JazzFlight posted:

I was happy when Edgar died because he was such an annoying character with a horrible speech impediment.

:(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JazzFlight posted:

Not gonna lie, I got real sad when I saw Chloe sadly watching him choke to death while she was safely inside the containment room :smith:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Chuck Tanner posted:

I don't know why nobody is affected by Curtis' death. Just the look on his face after Jack blasts him in the neck kills me.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Nooo, Curtis! :(

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Most WTF deaths in 24:

1. Curtis Manning - Come on, Jack straight up hurls after this one. "I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE." (Then he does this anymore.)
2. Ryan Chappelle - When he gives the gun back...oof.
3. Edgar Stiles - "Chloe?" *WHUMP*

Speaking of death, I noticed we haven't been keeping a :derp: count like the old threads. As crazy as LAD's been, Jack's body count this season is a mere 17, less than half of the previous season (source). I noticed early on that Jack wasn't doing much murder, probably a deliberate move on behalf of the writers to portray a more focused, reserved Jack.

Having only half the episodes to rack up kills no doubt hurts his numbers, too. It's almost nice to see the quantity go down, so long as we're getting the quality. And I don't think anyone will argue against the quality of kills this season.

And if they do I hope they're not seated near a window.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Chuck Tanner posted:

Nooo, Curtis! :(

The look on Curtis' face is what gets to me.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I still don't know what that guy's deal is. He's always standing right off screen until someone needs something. I can't even remember if he's been given a name yet.

I don't know what his name or role on the show actually is, but I knew right away he was Liebgott from Band of Brothers.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I pray for another event series just so we can get the 24 writers' take on government shutdown and Putin going berserk.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goddamn it, a girl from work asked me out for drinks this Monday. I'm totally going to try and grab a few drinks with her, then frantically run out of the place to get to mine by 9 pm.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Narcissus1916 posted:

Goddamn it, a girl from work asked me out for drinks this Monday. I'm totally going to try and grab a few drinks with her, then frantically run out of the place to get to mine by 9 pm.
Tell her you need to take a rain check because of Jack Bauer. If she understands, then getting drinks with her some other night will be even better. If she doesn't, well then that wasn't really going to work anyway.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Narcissus1916 posted:

Invite her back to your place to watch 24, and if she says no she's no good for you anyway.

EDIT: 2 of 2 goons agree

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think one of the hardest moments in 24 history is the end of season 7, when Tony gets dragged away and you almost wonder if Jack is going to straight up kill Tony like he did Curtis.

Tony Almeida posted:

These people think they can take everything away from us, Jack! Somebody had to stop 'em! And what did you do, huh? You ran away! That's right, you ran away Jack! You're one of them now! Congratulations! How would Teri feel about that, huh Jack?! Huh?! You lost your nerve! You're a coward Jack!

You really wanted Jack to let Tony have his revenge. Silver Lining: Renee makes her transformation into a Bauer by unlawfully interrogating him.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Narcissus1916 posted:

"I'm Something Awful Forums poster Narcissus1916...and today is the longest date of my life." :twentyfour:

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
"Would you mind coming over to my place so i can livepost during the finale of 24 Live Another Day?"

"Livepost?"

"Yeah it is where a bunch of us goons get together and post our real time reactions to a show which also takes place in realtime :smug:"

"Goons?"

"Yeah but there might be a time skip. Personally i think we will see the famous 24 clock fast forward! That has never happened before!"

Then she makes a hasty excuse for why she must make an abrupt exit.

Yeah, just DVR it if i were you

• Locked thread