Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

I still love that Dead Island released a GotY edition, despite the fact I don't think it was anyone's game of the year. That takes balls.
It's just weird in general how that became the default name for the now ubiquitous later released all-in pack. I guess it's the same way "director's cut" means that for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's just weird in general how that became the default name for the now ubiquitous later released all-in pack. I guess it's the same way "director's cut" means that for movies.

Eh, I still can't think of another example where the game wasn't actually some publications Game of the Year. Like it's funny because Arkham Asylum and City both got GotY editions but the Arkham Origins is getting a "Complete Edition".

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

A few weeks ago I wound up reading an archived thread for Way of the Samurai 4. I don't know how I came across the thread but I'm glad I did because this poo poo is awesome.

On the off chance that anyone else is playing this, please let me know if you happen to pick up my sword "Hadogei". It's like 7 feet long and has big shot 2x. You're welcome.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

axleblaze posted:

I still love that Dead Island released a GotY edition, despite the fact I don't think it was anyone's game of the year. That takes balls.

Game released at some point Of The Year

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

titties posted:

A few weeks ago I wound up reading an archived thread for Way of the Samurai 4. I don't know how I came across the thread but I'm glad I did because this poo poo is awesome.

On the off chance that anyone else is playing this, please let me know if you happen to pick up my sword "Hadogei". It's like 7 feet long and has big shot 2x. You're welcome.

Currently playing it right now.

titties
May 10, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Currently playing it right now.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you've got online enabled you can add me to see if it ups the chance for my character to invade. PSN: mr_dread

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there some trick to Uncharted 3 that I'm missing? I'm already at sneaking onto the plane and have never once in the entire game felt I was in control of the character. Everything is so loving floaty and automated, and bullet-sponge enemies take all the fun out of combat.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

and bullet-sponge enemies take all the fun out of combat.
It's more fun to shoot them a couple of times and then running and punching them.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there some trick to Uncharted 3 that I'm missing?

Probably not. Try more running and gunning, punching and jumpiung about during combat to get some more variety, this also usually leads to the battle sequences being over faster.
Uncharted 3 is a mediocre game with some really cool set-pieces, boring bullet-sponge enemies and a uninspiring indian jones style story.

and it always creates a lot of discussion in the thread.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there some trick to Uncharted 3 that I'm missing? I'm already at sneaking onto the plane and have never once in the entire game felt I was in control of the character. Everything is so loving floaty and automated, and bullet-sponge enemies take all the fun out of combat.

As mentioned, the trick is to be aggressive about melee. Shooting from the hip while running has extremely generous autoaim and stuns enemies as you approach allowing for an easy steel fist kill. Try and use cover to keep distant enemies from shooting you while you approach and/or shoot someone else.Don't stay put ever because they get more accurate and throw grenades more the longer you stay put. Don't get married to just one gun, exchange an empty one with whatever is lying around because a bullet is a bullet. And toss those grenades to make problem enemies move and stop firing at you, so you can run up and punch them too.

If half your kills are melee and half shooting, I'd wager you'd have a better time with the game. Not just easier but more fun too. Don't play it like a cover shooter, it can be anti-fun if you do because it's not Gears of War and punishes you if you play it like that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I was doing just that, because the bullet sponges generally take less effort to kill through square-mashing, and running around confuses the AI. Still haven't found the cure for the RPG bastards apart from dying many times and memorizing their spawn timing and location.
The controls are what get me. The aiming is either too fast or too slow, Drake has the turn radius of a truck, and pressing the jump button is a toss between jumping and clinging onto the nearest container.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SelenicMartian posted:

I was doing just that, because the bullet sponges generally take less effort to kill through square-mashing, and running around confuses the AI. Still haven't found the cure for the RPG bastards apart from dying many times and memorizing their spawn timing and location.
The controls are what get me. The aiming is either too fast or too slow, Drake has the turn radius of a truck, and pressing the jump button is a toss between jumping and clinging onto the nearest container.

Have you turned on the normal aiming controls in the options menu? This is vital.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

You're spot on about Drake's motion, he's got weight and momentum so it's all about moving with purpose toward the enemy and using things like vaulting over low cover to shorten the time needed.

And yeah, recommended you use the alternate aiming they patched in to bring it in line with previous UC games.

RPG/GL guys are those changeup guys which punish you for covering too much. The first shot usually misses if you move a lot so the game shifts to "where is that bastard?" for me. I toss a grenade at whoever I was intending to kill and then start blind and then aimed firing in the direction the smoke came from. The grenade should get the other enemies moving so you can just shoot at the bastard freely.

Unabashed fan that I am, I like the way the shotgun, sniper, and explosive enemies force gameplay changes. They can and do kill me but I don't think you should feel it necessary to memorize. It's mostly about preventing them from firing again, which is why I just fling a grenade at whoever and fire at them like it's a Bruckheimer movie. I also go through guns like the Matrix lobby scene which is probably why they added rolling weapon pickup and beatdown weapon steals so you can feel like a badass in a scripted cutscene even though you're adlibbing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Yay, beat it on Hard. The grenade launcher and the sniper pistol carried me through most of the demon section. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to have teleporting enemies?

Ape Agitator posted:

RPG/GL guys are those changeup guys which punish you for covering too much. The first shot usually misses if you move a lot so the game shifts to "where is that bastard?" for me.
For me the first rocket usually landed close enough to set health into "almost dead".

At least the checkpoints is this one were more frequent than in Jak 2. Is Jak 3 better in that regard? I've got the HD collection disc gathering dust.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

At least the checkpoints is this one were more frequent than in Jak 2. Is Jak 3 better in that regard? I've got the HD collection disc gathering dust.

Jak 2 was really terrible in many categories, this included. I loved Jak 1, was very close to abandoning Jak 2 and Jak 3 just because the sequel was so different and had such strange new priorities and writing. Jak 3 is better in general, but I don't think it's as good an overall game as Jak 1 was. But only occasionally did I get frustrated retrying a mission or a challenge, so I don't think you'll find it as bad.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ape Agitator posted:

Jak 2 was really terrible in many categories, this included. I loved Jak 1, was very close to abandoning Jak 2 and Jak 3 just because the sequel was so different and had such strange new priorities and writing. Jak 3 is better in general, but I don't think it's as good an overall game as Jak 1 was. But only occasionally did I get frustrated retrying a mission or a challenge, so I don't think you'll find it as bad.

If you don't love vehicle missions, then don't bother. loving thing has way too many vehicle missions, sometimes right in a row, and pretty much none of them is fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone play the ps3 version of alien isolation?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Just got Beyond Two Souls from Gamefly and was wondering if it's worth dusting off my Move for. Played Heavy Rain with the ol' DS3 and had no complaints.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beyond Two Souls isn't worth dusting anything of for, or indeed, actually inserting into anything other than the bin.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Been playing the HD port of FFX and remembering why I love this game so much. The locations are beautiful and the combat is so good. This is the only RPG I actually enjoy battling monsters and the sphere grid is a great way to level up characters as well. My only major gripe is that there's now way to see how many moves total a character has made so you can't ever really be sure all your guys are the same level. Also the lip syncing is horrible and really needed to be changed although that was probably just impossible for the localization team and the people making the HD port. It's a shame, really.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Beyond Two Souls isn't worth dusting anything of for, or indeed, actually inserting into anything other than the bin.

I thought it was fun! Just play it with the ds3, BlindNinja.

titties
May 10, 2012

I have a question for anyone familiar with Way of the Samurai 4. I've been through the game quite a few times and have crafted several 2x and 3x charmed swords. As far as I can tell, if your sword has the same charm 3 times then there's no way to add a different charm to it.

Last night I picked up a sword from another player that shows 3x big shot. However, it also regenerates vitality at the same rate as a sword with 3x life & death.

Did they somehow get 2 triple-stacked charms on it, or is the vitality regen an effect of something else? as far as I can see, the blade is Great Tengu, the guard is Longshaft or Soul Culler, and the handle is from a Blazelet.

E: nevermind, found out it's a hacked item.

titties fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 2, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Been playing the HD port of FFX and remembering why I love this game so much. The locations are beautiful and the combat is so good. This is the only RPG I actually enjoy battling monsters and the sphere grid is a great way to level up characters as well. My only major gripe is that there's now way to see how many moves total a character has made so you can't ever really be sure all your guys are the same level. Also the lip syncing is horrible and really needed to be changed although that was probably just impossible for the localization team and the people making the HD port. It's a shame, really.

I had the same problem with Metal Gear Solid 3, since it's more beautiful than ever in HD, but it's also easier to notice the crappy lipsync. At least the Kingdom Hearts games had incredibly good lipsync when they bothered to use the higher quality models.

I think you only need to use each character once each battle for them to get an equal share of the EXP. You can ignore Kimarhi since the only battle he's required for is scaled to his 'level'.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

bunky posted:

I thought it was fun! Just play it with the ds3, BlindNinja.

Will do, thanks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

I had the same problem with Metal Gear Solid 3, since it's more beautiful than ever in HD, but it's also easier to notice the crappy lipsync. At least the Kingdom Hearts games had incredibly good lipsync when they bothered to use the higher quality models.

I think you only need to use each character once each battle for them to get an equal share of the EXP. You can ignore Kimarhi since the only battle he's required for is scaled to his 'level'.

I'm having fun using Kimahri,honestly. I'm taking him over to Rikku's path right now until I can pick up Mug, then I'm gonna move him through Aurons. It really is a shame that the lip sync is so bad though, since I actually am really enjoying the story and characters. A few of the costumes are a little ridiculous (even for FF standards) though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Austrian mook posted:

Also the lip syncing is horrible and really needed to be changed although that was probably just impossible for the localization team and the people making the HD port. It's a shame, really.

IIRC it isn't lip synced to anything in particular. Most older games that even had good english lip sync didn't have good Japanese lip sync.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I finished Costume Quest 2 last night, and as a fan of the first game, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed. My main problem with the game is that it doesn't feel much like Halloween at all but I want to talk about the combat first.

Double Fine seems to have understood that the combat from the first game could use some tweaking. Combat is the weakest part of the first game, mainly because it's extremely difficult to die (except for, maybe, during the fight against the final boss) without doing so on purpose. It's not challenging at all.

The combat in CQ2 is more challenging, but not in the right way. The main difference is that fights last longer because the enemies are now the RPG equivalent of FPS/TPS bullet sponges. Cards can make the battles go more quickly but in general it usually takes a few turns just to kill one enemy. The extra challenge is extremely slight and it's more tedium than challenge.

But the worst thing is the game doesn't seem very "Halloweeny" other than the costumes. One of the main (and most fun) components of the first game is trick-or-treating. In CQ2, the trick-or-treating seems like it was shoehorned in at some point late in development. The locales make absolutely no sense to trick-or-treat in. About halfway through the game, they stopped even trying to relate that mechanic to Halloween and instead of trick-or-treating you go knocking on doors to "retrieve packages" and other fetch-questy stuff.

I have to be honest, after playing this I'm not sure that Costume Quest ever needed a sequel at all. The first game is a classic that I play through every Halloween but I've deleted this one because I can't see ever having the urge to play it again.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
While I enjoyed Costume Quest, it's way too mediocre to recommend to anyone and I have no idea why they made a sequel.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

edit: wrong thread

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

...! posted:

I have to be honest, after playing this I'm not sure that Costume Quest ever needed a sequel at all. The first game is a classic that I play through every Halloween but I've deleted this one because I can't see ever having the urge to play it again.

Did you ever play the DLC for the first game? Any thoughts on that one? I haven't played the new one yet but I feel some of the complaints could be leveled at that DLC and I liked it enough.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Comic posted:

Did you ever play the DLC for the first game? Any thoughts on that one? I haven't played the new one yet but I feel some of the complaints could be leveled at that DLC and I liked it enough.

Yeah, I didn't like the Christmas DLC.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

It's actually very good lip-syncing. All the characters are speaking Russian, Snake even comments on it early on. You're just hearing the dubbed version.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Frozen Synapse crashed my PS3 on the screen size adjustment screen. Luftrausers is just as sweet as on the PC though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The original costume quest was fun even if it was too easy. The dlc was fun too but mainly because it didn't wear out its welcome like the original. But I agree about part 2. poo poo gets tedious.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I'm working my way through Mass Effect 3 at the moment, which I'm liking a lot. Question: Is the multi player worth giving a shot at this stage? I know it's not essential, but I hear its fun but I'm not sure how populated the servers will be

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Polite Tim posted:

I'm working my way through Mass Effect 3 at the moment, which I'm liking a lot. Question: Is the multi player worth giving a shot at this stage? I know it's not essential, but I hear its fun but I'm not sure how populated the servers will be

Yes. I'm also not sure how populated the games servers are but just try it because the MP is the best part of that game (and I'm saying that as someone who usually doesn't care about the MP and thought the SP in ME3 was pretty great overall).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

Yes. I'm also not sure how populated the games servers are but just try it because the MP is the best part of that game (and I'm saying that as someone who usually doesn't care about the MP and thought the SP in ME3 was pretty great overall).
Yep, that's me too. ME3 MP was the first small team co-op PVE multiplayer game I played regularly, and now I really like that format.

They really need to release a refined version of it as a standalone product. As a F2P game I think it could be a real hit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Every shooter game or whatever needs a co-op horde mode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep, that's me too. ME3 MP was the first small team co-op PVE multiplayer game I played regularly, and now I really like that format.

They really need to release a refined version of it as a standalone product. As a F2P game I think it could be a real hit.

Yeah, ME3 still has the best F2P model I've ever seen (even if the game isn't technically free). There is nothing you can't unlock with time and skill but you really are tempted to spend money because you want more awesome poo poo now rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Well I'll give it a look at some point. The SP of ME3 is bloody good though, really strong writing, fun missions, the whole game feels like a real fight to the death between the galaxy and the Reapers. And the against-all-odds cinematic battles are great, especially (spoilered in case anyone still hasn't played it and wants to)the reaper vs giant thresher battle on Tuchanka

It's a shame the game has a loving horrible frame rate issue and aeon's long loading screens.

• Locked thread