Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

can you wrap elastic band around your thumb and index finger like this?

then you should be able to replace a turntable belt
Or castrate a bull using the old method.

big scary monsters posted:

Technics turntable and when the belt
direct drive 4 lyfe

e: 1999 - Scottish and Welsh governments meet for the first time, national minimum wage is introduced, the submarine Kursk completes its only mission, a six-month deployment to the Mediterranean.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
loving hipsters!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

loving hipsters!

Audiophilia is not only for hipsters. Besides, when you're old man offers to give you his record player worth high four figures & his record collection you don't rush to say "no thanks, dinnae want to be a hipster". Led Zeppelin sound even better on vinyl man, them's the rules.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

loving hipsters!
You just don't get the same tone with a modern emasculator.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

loving hipsters!

the term hipster originated in the 1940 and referred to hip cats really into the jazz scene:

To the hipster, Bird was a living justification of their philosophy. The hipster is an underground man. He is to the Second World War what the dadaist was to the first. He is amoral, anarchistic, gentle, and overcivilized to the point of decadence. He is always ten steps ahead of the game because of his awareness, an example of which might be meeting a girl and rejecting her, because he knows they will date, hold hands, kiss, neck, pet, fornicate, perhaps marry, divorce—so why start the whole thing? He knows the hypocrisy of bureaucracy, the hatred implicit in religions—so what values are left for him?—except to go through life avoiding pain, keep his emotions in check, and after that, "be cool," and look for kicks. He is looking for something that transcends all this bullshit and finds it in jazz.

or

The hipster world that Kerouac and Ginsberg drifted in and out of from the mid-1940s to the early-1950s was an amorphous movement without ideology, more a pose than an attitude; a way of "being" without attempting to explain why. Hipsters themselves were not about to supply explanations. Their language, limited as it was, was sufficiently obscure to defy translation into everyday speech. Their rejection of the commonplace was so complete that they could barely acknowledge reality. The measure of their withdrawal was their distrust of language. A word like cool could mean any of a number of contradictory things—its definition came not from the meaning of the word but from the emotion behind it and the accompanying non-verbal facial or body expressions. When hipsters did put together a coherent sentence, it was always prefaced with the word like as if to state at the onset that what would follow was probably an illusion. There was neither a future nor a past, only a present that existed on the existential wings of sound. A Charlie Parker bebop solo—that was the truth.

The hipster's world view was not divided between "free world" and "Communist bloc", and this too set it apart from the then-current orthodoxy. Hipster dualism, instead, transcended geopolitical lines in favor of levels of consciousness. The division was hip and square. Squares sought security and conned themselves into political acquiescence. Hipsters, hip to the bomb, sought the meaning of life and, expecting death, demanded it now. In the wigged-out, flipped-out, zonked-out hipster world, Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, Truman, McCarthy and Eisenhower shared one thing in common: they were squares ... . [T]he hipster signified the coming together of the bohemian, the juvenile delinquent, and the negro.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

"I called people hipsters before it was cool"??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

e: 1999 - Scottish and Welsh governments meet for the first time, national minimum wage is introduced, the submarine Kursk completes its only mission, a six-month deployment to the Mediterranean.

lol

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was in Edinburgh last week and a guy leafleting for a Fringe thing told me "we don't normally let hipsters into our show but we've decided to make an exception for you". I didn't go though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I only listen to music in minidisc format

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
minidiscs were dope

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly it'd just be nice to have my dad's old turntable working, if I'd known it was broken I'd have tried when it was still my grandmother's, I think she just didn't want to admit it'd broken. I might order one if they're still making them.

The actual thing is a bit hard to take apart without instructions but managed to get it open last time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
did you try lifting the platter up? usually to replace the belt on a belt drive turntable you just lift up the platter, you shouldn't need to disassemble the unit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I got to it, it just has a few pieces of metal with some odd ways of unhooking them to get to the actual belt, and obviously not knowing anything about the machine I was loathe to start wiggling everything to see if it would come apart.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jess Philips MP is having a panic room installed in her constituency office.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/16/labour-mp-jess-phillips-installing-panic-room-at-office-following-threats

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Did I miss road chat? Because I would have contributed but was stuck on the westbound M27 between Junction 2 and where it becomes the A31 because apparently merging in turn when it goes from three lanes to two is too loving hard for people to work out

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Well, I got nothing better to do, let's unbox this turd.

quote:

“It would be very, very difficult for me that if Jeremy Corbyn wins and something doesn’t dramatically change in the way people are being treated online, in the streets, our security,” she said. “I can’t imagine why I would want to stay somewhere where I am so obviously not welcome.”

The slowest wind-up for the "Corbyn is personally responsible for the drastic rise in hate crimes" pitch ever.

quote:

Phillips, who has been a vocal critic of Corbyn’s leadership, said she did not feel welcome by “huge swaths of people” in the Labour party.

Insert your own unpleasant racial epithet in "huge swaths of people". It's probably all of them.

quote:

Speaking on Radio 4’s World At One, Phillips also spoke about being “cavalier” in her attitude towards personal safety, especially following the killing of her friend and the MP Jo Cox.

So she only suddenly feels threatened not when a psychopathic nationalist murders her friend, but when people call her bad names online. Still death-threats are unacceptable in any context.

quote:

Phillips said she would be forever disappointed by its failure to put women forward for the top job. She said her party had more female MPs than others, but that the Conservatives “have a march on us” with their two women prime ministers. She added that she had allowed Tory MPs “free rein to crow and mock me” over the issue.

way to immediately undermine your own statement

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'd wager he might be a bad enough dude to rescue the labour party.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wait is caring about dumb internet death threats a Thing with UK politicians now?

I mean I'm glad that there's starting to be actual consequences for it because death threats are unacceptable in any context outside of "friends shooting the poo poo", but what brought this on?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

She complains about feeling unwelcome in the party, but why would you expect to remain welcome after repeatedly attacking the elected leader and claiming Labour has no chance of winning an election? She's an elected representative, getting messages 'that [she's] not good enough, that [she] should lose [her] job' is a reflection of her not representing the people who gave her that job.

She's also used the example of being sent a photoshopped picture in several articles now. Hopefully that means she hasn't actually been subject to any in-person abuse despite her desire for locksmiths, panic rooms and high-tech personal alarms.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Look, loudly and publicly commenting on her security arrangements; and recording her conversations at all times; are the only things keeping this poor woman's career safe from the bloodthirsty Momentum hordes.

Truly this is Corbyn's "kinder politics" in action!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:vince: :perfect:

Yinlock posted:

The slowest wind-up for the "Corbyn is personally responsible for the drastic rise in hate crimes" pitch ever.
gently caress me, this is actually going to be a thing isn't it. Because the people actually responsible will piss and moan when accused of being responsible.

Is it just me, or is the 'panic room' thing (being openly public about it) projecting a defeatist vibe as a public persona? Like "I'm ready to hide at a moment's notice from rabid Corbynites!" I'd have even preferred "I've bought one of those zombie knives to defend myself from rabid Corbynites!" followed by hiding in an unmentioned panic room if one actually does stop by to hand out a Trot newspaper.

Making a huge public fuss about your security preparations is probably a bad idea too, unless they not only live up to but go beyond your hype.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yinlock posted:

Wait is caring about dumb internet death threats a Thing with UK politicians now?

I mean I'm glad that there's starting to be actual consequences for it because death threats are unacceptable in any context outside of "friends shooting the poo poo", but what brought this on?

its a good stick to bash corbyn with because you just accuse everyone of doing it being his supporter and the press will run with it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yinlock posted:

"Get in the sea" is not a death threat

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
As far as I'm concerned this is the only bugger that can tell people to get in the sea.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

its a good stick to bash corbyn with because you just accuse everyone of doing it being his supporter and the press will run with it

Ah. :sigh:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

True, I meant more in general.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sea water is good for your skin.

We should all get in the sea.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

They're kinda edging around it right now but I'm still waiting for the Blairites to go all-in on martyring Jo Cox for the opposite of what she stood for. The logical endgame of that being "Corbyn's ~radical leftist~ policies are responsible for her death"

I mean of course that's reprehensible on every level but like that's ever stopped them.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I got in the sea a few times already this year, it was refreshing on the hotter days.

MP Thangam Debbonaire - PUT ON SOME SUN CREAM

I look forward to my inevitable incarceration.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Guavanaut posted:

Or castrate a bull using the old method.

direct drive 4 lyfe

The method with the specialized drill bit is hosed up.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's cool and good that modern technology has given old people the opportunity to embarrass themselves by not understanding teenager's in jokes in public for us all to see

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regarde Aduck posted:

The right answer to the trolley problem is the same answer to all philosophical problems: Ascension from the system. Using a combination of transhumanist technology and a deep understanding of the ten sephirothic steps to godhead one can rescue all the people and do a sick move where you blow the trolley up with just your aura.

I know I've been reading Kill Six Billion Demons too much because I can't quite tell if you're joking.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sea water is good for your skin.

We should all get in the sea.

I'll be honest before it was explained to me I assumed it was "to spare us all from your poo poo opinions for a while why don't you go on holiday, the med is lovely this time of year" :shobon:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know I've been reading Kill Six Billion Demons too much because I can't quite tell if you're joking.

Consider: there is no such thing as a trolley.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth Walrus posted:

Consider: there is no such thing as a trolley.

Consider: How to get the trolley to go over one's self/

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Trolley is the mind-killer. Trolley is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my trolley. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the trolley has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

It's cool and good that modern technology has given old people the opportunity to embarrass themselves by not understanding teenager's in jokes in public for us all to see

Unfortunately for the person who posted it, the person that Debonairre has to convince that it's a threat is a judge, and they're well-known for being with-it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I started reading KSBDs when it started (no idea how) but despite the excellent presentation it seemed weird and a bit meandering. I'm guessing it's better when the plot hits?

Edit: The trick is not to divert the trolley, that is impossible, but to divert yourself.

namesake fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 16, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I liked this. But since it's in the Guardian nobody who really matters is going to see it. It's a shame.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Trolley is the mind-killer. Trolley is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my trolley. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the trolley has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

no you won't cos the trolley will have pancaked you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

I started reading KSBDs when it started (no idea how) but despite the excellent presentation it seemed weird and a bit meandering. I'm guessing it's better when the plot hits?

Edit: The trick is not to divert the trolley, that is impossible, but to divert yourself.

It works much better when you marathon it. Re-reads help, too.

• Locked thread