Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002
I rather enjoy cooking, and I rather enjoy picture / photojournal threads, so I've decided the best thing to do is to make a thread about cooking and fill it with pictures of delicious food. I'm posting three of my favorite recipes in hopes that someone else will enjoy them. Hopefully some other people who like to cook will join in and maybe we can all make something nice for dinner tonight.

Look for the :chef: icon to point out any tricky spots or tips on how to make the meal better.

If you decide to make any of these recipes, I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.

Also, a huge thanks to https://www.imageshack.us for providing free hosting for the 50MB or so of images below. You guys are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002
Roundsteak and Rice

This meal is popular with my friends because it's relatively cheap, easy to make, and doesn't require a whole lot of attention.

quote:

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs Round Steak
1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
1/8 cup green pepper (finely chopped)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 beef boullion cube
2 16oz cans diced tomatoes
1 tbsp cooking oil

Recipe:
Cut the round steak into cubes approximately 1cm on a side.
Brown the meat with the oil
Add the onion, green pepper, salt, and pepper to the meat, and continue cooking until the veggies are tender
Dissolve the boullion cube in a cup of boiling water.
Add the boullion cube water and the tomatos to the meat
Bring the mixture to a boil, then back the temperature down to about 200F
Simmer for AT LEAST an hour and a half, preferably longer.

Makes about 6 servings.

Note: Some of these pictures are out of focus or look really crappy, especially the last one. Trust me, this looks a lot more appetizing in person. I bought a digital camera at Aldi's, and it turned out to be a real lemon - the focus didn't work right, the white balance would randomly change around, half the time the flash wouldn't go off... I took about 50 pictures during the preparation of this meal, and these were the best of the bunch.

First, cut the meat into small pieces. Aim for cubes about 1cm on a side. :chef: Round steak is not a very tender cut of meat, and tends to be tough. If you cut the meat while it's still slightly frozen, you'll have a much easier time.

Put the cubed meat into an electric skillet, along with the oil.

Simmer the meat on a medium temperature.

The meat will look like this when it's done browning.

Next, prepare the green pepper by cutting out the core and removing the seeds. If you stick your knife all the way through the pepper and cut out a cylinder, with the stem in the middle, you'll get the core and most of the seeds.

Chop up the green pepper and onion. If you're lazy like me and don't want to have to measure the chopped bits, I usually use about half the green pepper and about half of an average-sized onion. Add the chopped onion and pepper to the meat, along with the salt and pepper.

While the veggies are cooking, grab and unwrap a boullion cube.

Put the cube in about 1 cup of water and throw it in the microwave until the water starts boiling. In my decrepit microwave, this takes 3-4 minutes. Once the water is boiling, take it out of the microwave and stir it up, making sure the boullion cube is entirely dissolved. Note that the boullion cube is NOT fully dissolved in this picture.

By this point, the onions and peppers should have softened up a bit.

Go ahead and add the boullion cube and water, along with the can of tomatoes.

Bring it to a boil, then back the temperature back down to around 200F, and let it simmer for at least an hour and a half. The longer it simmers, the more tender the meat will be. If I can get away with it, I'll usually let it simmer for 3-4 hours. Just make sure you keep stirring it every 10 minutes or so, and snitch a piece every now and then to check the tenderness.

When it's ready to eat, it should look about like this:

Serving Suggestion:
Serve over rice, add salt and pepper to taste.

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002
Lasagna

This recipe originally came from my mother's family, but I have sort of co-opted it to the point where most people in my family refer to it as "my" lasagna. For Christmas this year, I offered to come home and cook it for my parents and younger siblings, and they gladly accepted. This worked out well for both of us, as this is a somewhat complex meal, and making it in my tiny apartment kitchen is a bit of a stretch.

quote:

Ingredients:
(Meat Sauce)
1 lb ground beef
1 lb sausage
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1 tbsp basil
1.5 tsp salt
1 16oz can of tomatoes
3 6 oz cans of tomato paste

(Cottage Cheese Filling)
3 cups (one tub) cottage cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp parsley flakes
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

1 lb shredded Mozzarella cheese

10 oz lasagna noodles

11x15" baking dish (You can use a 9x13", but you might need to scale the recipe down a bit)

Recipe:
Brown the sausage and beef together. Spoon off the excess fat.
Add the garlic clove, basil, salt, tomatoes, and tomato paste to the meat

Combine the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

Boil the noodles in water until they're tender.

Put a layer of noodles in the bottom of the baking dish, then half the cottage cheese filling, then half the Mozzarella cheese, then half the meat sauce. Repeat with the remaining half of the components.

Bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Let it stand for 10 minutes or so before you cut into it.

Makes about 10-12 servings, depending on how you cut it.

First, brown the ground beef and sausage together. :chef: If it looks like this, you are not "doing it rite". First of all, that's chorizo, not sausage, and second, you forgot to remove the plastic wrappers. Go to the store and get the right stuff, then take the wrappers off.

Ah, that's more like it. :chef: I always like to use a cast-iron skillet for browning meat - I think it adds to the taste.

Once the meat is browned, spoon off the excess fat.

Break off and peel a clove of garlic, and chop it into small pieces.

Add the garlic, basil, salt, tomatoes, and tomato paste to the meat

Mix the meat sauce well, and reduce the heat to simmer. Stir occasionally.

Combine the cottage cheese, parmesan, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper. :chef: I do not recommend using low-fat cottage cheese. Its higher water content can make the lasagna runny.

:chef: If you break the eggs into the empty cottage cheese container, you can beat them without getting another dish dirty!

The cottage cheese filling should look like this when it's done.

One advantage of doing this at home is that I have access to my mother's kitchen, which is a hell of a lot better stocked than mine. This is a Kitchen-Aid mixer with a vegetable grater attachment, which will also shred cheese quite nicely. I'm 21, and this mixer predates me by about 2 years. The fact that it still works is a testament to its quality!

If you're shredding your own cheese, which I rather enjoy doing, chop the block of Mozzarella into pieces about the size of a bar of soap, and carefully feed them into the shredder.

Here we have one pound (actually, about 1.5 pounds - I like cheese) of freshly shredded mozzarella.

Boil the noodles in a large pot of water. I usually use about 3/4 of a 16 oz package. :chef: A lot of people add oil to the water to keep the noodles from sticking together. I recommend that you do not do this - it makes cooking the noodles slightly easier, but makes assembling the final dish a pain, plus it won't hold together as well when you eat it. Stir the noodles carefully while they cook, and you'll be fine.

Here we have all of the main components of lasagna - clockwise from the upper right, we have lasagna noodles, Mozzarella cheese, the meat sauce, and the cottage cheese filling.

This is why Dad doesn't get to play with the camera - I wind up in the pictures.

In this picture, I've already put down the first half of the lasagna, but the second half is assembled the same way. First, we have a layer of noodles...

... then half the cottage cheese filling ...

... then half the Mozzarella ...

... and finally, half the meat sauce.

When the lasagna is completely assembled, it'll look like this. Throw it in an oven, preheated to 375F, for about 30 minutes. When it comes out, it needs to sit and solidify for about 10 minutes before being cut, which will give us just enough time to make some garlic bread.

Garlic Bread:

You will need:
1 loaf Italian bread
1/4 stick butter (More depending on the amount of bread)
Garlic powder
Cheese (whatever you like, I used Mozzarella and Cheddar)

First, melt the stick of butter in a small bowl.

Cut the loaf of bread in half. Take the first half and cut it into slices. Soak one side of each slice in butter.

Split the other half of the loaf lengthwise, and butter both sides. Arrange all the bread on a cooking sheet.

Sprinkle the bread with garlic powder. Use as much as you like. I like garlic, so I use a lot.

Put shredded cheese onto the half of the bread that was split lengthwise. Throw the bread into the oven at 375-400F for about 5 minutes, or until the bread is slightly crispy and the cheese is melted.

It should look like this when you take it out of the oven:

Serving suggestion:
Nothing to say here, really - eat the lasagna and garlic bread. Nice table and dishes optional.

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002
Chicken Cordon Bleu

I don't think this is the same Chicken Cordon Bleu you'd get if you ordered it in some fancy French restaurant, but that's what we've called it since I was old enough to request meals by name, so that's what I'm going to call it. Besides, the name literally means "Chicken with Cheese""Blue Ribbon Chicken", and that's close enough - No one I've fed this to has ever disliked it.

This has always been one of my favorite meals, and my Dad makes it for most special family occasions. Naturally, once I had my own kitchen, I wanted to make it, but it was one of those meals that didn't really have an official recipe. Through some trial and error, along with spying on Dad, I have come up with the following recipe.

quote:

Ingredients:
6 chicken breasts

1 lb Swiss cheese (cut into small pieces)
1 16oz tub of sour cream
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 small can of mushrooms (drained and chopped)
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
2 packages of chipped beef (cut into small pieces)

9X13" baking dish

Recipe:
Mix the Swiss cheese, sour cream, Cream of Mushroom soup, chopped mushrooms, chopped onions, and dried beef in a large bowl.

Trim the fat from the chicken breasts, then rinse under running water.
Pat breasts dry and arrange in baking dish.

Spread sauce over breasts, taking care to form a seal around the outer edge of the dish.

Bake at 350F for at least an hour and a half. If the top starts to get too brown, cover the dish with aluminum foil.

Makes about 6 servings.

:chef: Not recommended for people on low-fat or low-cholesterol diets.

First, cut the Swiss into small pieces - we're aiming for about 1cm cubes here.

Put the cubed cheese into a large bowl.

Add the sour cream and Cream of Mushroom soup. :chef: Don't use low-fat sour cream. The extra water content will make the final product watery. I recommend using ever-so-slightly less than the full tub of sour cream, as well, to cut down on the water content. I usually use all but 1/4 cup of the sour cream.

Drain the juice from the can of mushrooms and chop them into small pieces, then add them to the bowl. :chef: For this, I use an automatic chopper. It's basically a set of blades that chop into whatever's in the chamber when you press down on the handle, then rotate a few degrees on the upswing. Hammering on the handle will mince pretty much anything into mush. If you cook often, a gadget like this is a real timesaver.

Chop the onion in a similar manner and add it to the bowl.

When I went into Wal-Mart and asked for Chipped Beef, they looked at me like I had unnecessary holes in my head, so here's a picture of what I ended up getting.

Chop the beef into tiny pieces. :chef: If you freeze the beef first, it's much easier to cut without having it go all over the place.

Add the chopped chipped beef to the bowl.

Stir the contents of the bowl well. Make sure the cheese chunks are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. It should look like this when you're done.

Next, we're going to prepare the chicken.

You need to take the chicken, trim off as much of the fat as you can, then rinse it under running water and pat it dry with a paper towel. Place the breasts into the baking dish once they're dried. :chef: Remember, chickens are filthy creatures who can never know the true meaning of love, so wash anything that comes into contact with the raw chicken very well.

Dump the sauce on top of the chicken.

Spread the sauce out carefully. Make sure that it touches the edge of the pan. If you don't have a good seal around the edge, the chicken will dry out while it bakes. Put the chicken into an oven preheated to 350F. It will need to cook for at least an hour and a half. Check it occasionally, and if it looks like it's turning brown too quickly, put some aluminum foil over the dish. I've never needed to do this, although that's probably because my oven works about as well as you'd expect from a kitchen appliance the landlord stole from a homeless guy.

While the chicken is baking, we can start on the Mashed Potatoes

You'll need:
8-10 medium potatoes. As many as you want to eat, really.
3/4 stick of butter
1/4 cup milk

First, peel the potatoes. Rinse each one carefully and put them in a pot. Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are just covered.

Crank the stove up to high and boil the potatoes. The potatoes need to be boiled until they're soft - This can easily take 30-40 minutes, so plan accordingly. As a rule of thumb, if you stick a fork into a potato and it easily slides off when you try to lift it, they're done. Another good indicator is that small pieces of the potato flake off easily, as you can sort of see in the next picture.

Once the potatoes have been boiled soft, pour them into a colander.

With the water drained off, put the potatoes into a mixer bowl. My mixer lacks an official bowl, so I just put them back into the pot. Chop the butter into pats and add it to the potatoes, along with the milk. Beat the potatoes at about 80% of your mixer's capacity (100% if you have a weak mixer). Add more milk or butter if you don't have enough liquid. You can also add salt and pepper at this stage, but I didn't, since I was cooking for guests with very different tastes.

The picture of the finished potatoes didn't turn out, but we all know what mashed potatoes look like.

Here's what the chicken should look like when it's done. My stovetop isn't usually that filthy, but the potatoes boiled over earlier and made a mess.

Serving suggestion:
Fish out a chicken breast and cut it into bite-size pieces, then mix it into the mashed potatoes. Spoon the sauce over the top, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Once all the breasts have been eaten, there's usually some of the sauce left over. I usually make up some rice, mix the leftover sauce in with it, and make another meal out of it.

doctor_god fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2005

completely deck
Jun 6, 2004

by Fragmaster
Your Lasagna looks good enough to try out sometime soon, thanks.

Also, why are you warning 56k'ers when the images are thumbnailed?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

completely deck came out of the closet to say:
Also, why are you warning 56k'ers when the images are thumbnailed?

The thumbnails alone are close to 1MB, I figured that's enough to warrant a 56k warning.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This thread is getting a 5 for being a thing of beauty.

Also, I don't mean to derail but can anyone tell me how to make an omelette without the thing disintegrating when I try to flip it over? The first one I ever made went perfectly, but I just can't do it anymore :(

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
This is an awesome thread. Much thanks; I will try one of these while my parents are on vacation.

rekk
Oct 9, 2004

voted 5 because I like food

Trollking
Sep 9, 2000

Pillbug
I'm a chef and have cooked in a couple of Italian food places, I think that your lasagne looks great. I've got a couple of suggestions for improving it further, if you're interested.

Sauce: Add chopped onions with the garlic. For the batch size that you made, you could put in two large onions, small dice and further the aromatic complexity of the sauce. Also, chopped parsley does a lot. If you bought one bunch of parsley at the store and picked the leaves off, then chopped them really fine, you could put almost all of it into the sauce at the same point as the onions and garlic, then reserve some to sprinkle on the very top of the lasagne immediately before you bake it as garnish. Also, if you want to get even crazier, depending on the region a lot of Bolognese sauces are made with even more types of meat. Some will add chicken livers (maybe eight oz. for the batch size that you have) or some will use the same amount of bacon. That smoky, cured flavor goes a long ways towards rounding off the different flavors, just dice it up really small. Once the onions and garlic have been sweated until they are translucent, you can deglaze with wine. White or red, it's your choice. One place I worked at used both, mixed together. It will bring out the fruityness of the tomatoes to an extent and add a little zing as well. If you do this, just cook it down to about 3/4 of what it was and then proceed with your recipe. Lastly, many recipes for Bolognese finish the sauce with just a little bit of milk, but I'm not sure exactly what it does.

Also, for the cheeses, do you ever substitute ricotta for cottage cheese? I think that you'll notice a substantial improvement, unless you are avoiding ricotta or do not have access to it.

zealott
Mar 30, 2004
thank you for this, i always enjoy trying goon recepies and i look forward to trying your 'chicken with cheese'

Kemp
Jun 16, 2002

It looks tasty. I'm endorsing this thread.

Mengo
Aug 15, 2004

Pátria amada, Brasil!
That lasagna looks delicious, nice job guys :).

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

quote:

doctor_god came out of the closet to say:
Lasagna stuff
Could you be a bit more specific about what kind of sausage you use? When Australians hear the word "sausage" without any kind of other description they don't think of anything like that, they think more of these (and you would hardly put them in lasagna or lasagne):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

Trollking came out of the closet to say:
Sauce: Add chopped onions with the garlic. For the batch size that you made, you could put in two large onions, small dice and further the aromatic complexity of the sauce. Also, chopped parsley does a lot. If you bought one bunch of parsley at the store and picked the leaves off, then chopped them really fine, you could put almost all of it into the sauce at the same point as the onions and garlic, then reserve some to sprinkle on the very top of the lasagne immediately before you bake it as garnish.

Also, for the cheeses, do you ever substitute ricotta for cottage cheese? I think that you'll notice a substantial improvement, unless you are avoiding ricotta or do not have access to it.

Two whole onions, or am I reading this wrong? That sounds like a lot.

What exactly is ricotta? I've heard of it, and the recipe I got from my grandma originally said "cottage cheese or ricotta", but I've never tried it. We always used cottage cheese while I was growing up.

Sventek
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

Roundsteak and Rice

My mother used to make this while I was growing up, only she called it Swiss Steak.

Also, isn't Chicken Cordon Blue supposed to be chicken breasts stuffed with ham and swiss, lightly breaded and baked? Or is the purpose of this thread to break people into cooking for themselves and get out of McD's?

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

SirRobin came out of the closet to say:

Could you be a bit more specific about what kind of sausage you use? When Australians hear the word "sausage" without any kind of other description they don't think of anything like that, they think more of these (and you would hardly put them in lasagna or lasagne):

When I say sausage, I mean breakfast sausage that comes in a plastic tube, and is meant to be smashed into patties and fried. Imagine the stuff in the first picture under Lasagna, but it says "Sausage" instead of "Chorizo". Once the plastic is removed, it looks like what you see in the second picture. I usually get "Jimmy Dean's" brand.

quote:

Sventek came out of the closet to say:

My mother used to make this while I was growing up, only she called it Swiss Steak.

Also, isn't Chicken Cordon Blue supposed to be chicken breasts stuffed with ham and swiss, lightly breaded and baked? Or is the purpose of this thread to break people into cooking for themselves and get out of McD's?

Yeah, like I said, what I call Chicken Cordon Bleu isn't the real stuff, but that's what we always called it when I was growing up. I think what you described is correct. Try it, though, and maybe you'll like it.

doctor_god fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 5, 2005

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Wow. Those look really, really good. I'm sad I already ate dinner tonight.

Grim Peeper
Aug 1, 2003

by Peatpot
There sure is a lot of food threads these days, and it's a trend I heartily endorse.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

quote:

When I say sausage, I mean breakfast sausage that comes in a plastic tube, and is meant to be smashed into patties and fried. Imagine the stuff in the first picture under Lasagna, but it says "Sausage" instead of "Chorizo". Once the plastic is removed, it looks like what you see in the second picture.
I can see that and imagine that but it doesn't tell me what's in it. That concept isn't generic "sausage" here. Our sausages aren't designed to be smashed into patties. If I was to make sausages for breakfast I would be using the kinds of things pictured in my previous post. If I went to a butcher here and asked for sausage, I would be given one of them.

What kind of meat is in your "sausage"? Is it spiced? If so, with what? What else does it contain that isn't the meat?

SirRobin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 5, 2005

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Its times like this when I wish I lived on my own, My mom is the worst cook in existance.

hangry jeep
Apr 27, 2004

I hope there is more picture/photo recipes. I can follow recipes easier when there's pictures to make this stuff. Subscribed.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
This is a great thread.

I only wished you had posted a recipe for something that I could cook in less than a half hour (and without beef) because it's almost dinner time.

Still maybe I'll try out that lasagna later this week.

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
Awesome! Subscribed.

Lynn Minmei
Jun 18, 2004
This thread is ridiculously well done.

Thanks for providing the pics and such.

Might I recommend you make a cookbook? Many a time I've looked at a recipe but, due to the lack of pictures, I've been really confused about what to do. I think there's a market for it.

:)

Trollking
Sep 9, 2000

Pillbug

quote:

baka kaba came out of the closet to say:
This thread is getting a 5 for being a thing of beauty.

Also, I don't mean to derail but can anyone tell me how to make an omelette without the thing disintegrating when I try to flip it over? The first one I ever made went perfectly, but I just can't do it anymore :(

Use a nonstick pan. Make sure that the eggs are beaten ahead of time, and portioned out into a container so that you can simply pour them into the pan when you're ready. Lastly, make sure that the pan is hot before you add them (not necessarily smoking, but hot enough to fry the eggs when you put them in). Whole butter is not always the best thing to use as a fat for this (and you need a fat, even though the pan is nonstick.) The water in the butter will help the eggs stick to even a nonstick pan sometimes, especially if it is not hot enough when you put the eggs in. It's better to use a very little bit of corn oil, clarified butter, or even spray-on pan coating, like Pam.

1. Get the pan hot.

2. Pour in the fat (about 1/2 an ounce to one ounce, unless you're using spray coating, in which case just make sure the pan is coated).

3. Let the fat get hot fow a few seconds.

4. Pour in the eggs. In an eight inch (diameter) pan three eggs is almost too much. Beaten eggs like to rise when the air that's been incorporated into them gets hot and turns to steam, and so too much egg will make you a frittata. Just put enough to cover the bottom of the pan.

5. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the eggs until they start to solidify, but not too much after. The reason that you do this is to make sure they don't cook unevenly, for instance if you're using a gas stove with a big burner, sometimes they'll cook faster towards the edges. If you stir they will temper and begin to cook at about the same speed. I also like to season them with a little salt and pepper at this point.

6. Once it's starting to get solid, stop stirring, as you'll only weaken the structure of the thing now. Lower your heat by 1/2 and let the eggs in the pan cook until the top of the omelet is still wet, but not a puddle.

7. Now flip. If you don't have the wrist motion, you can practice ahead of time with a pan and a piece of toast or a handful of dried beans. If you still aren't confident in your flipping abilities, just use the spatula.
8. Once flipped, the "wet" side of the omelet only takes a few seconds to cook. Let it sit in the pan for about ten seconds on the burner, and then flip the omelet again. The reason to do this is because the "wet" side is all lumpy and rough, while the side that was originally on the bottom of the pan will be nice and smooth, better for presentation.

9. Put you ingredients down the center of the omelette. It doesn't take much to fill an omelette, it's not like a burrito. Just a couple of ounces of pre cooked fillings is good, or even just a bit of grated cheese.

10. Now the presentation. The old-school french omelette takes an "envelope" fold, i.e. two folds. Use the spatula to fold one third of the omelette over the line of filling. Then fold the other side over that, in the opposite direction, and turn it over so that both sides of the omelette are folded under it and it looks rolled.

11. Slide this out of the pan and garnish it with a little grated cheese, scallions, whatever.

When you get this down, you'll be able to cook the outside of the thing without putting any color on it (tip: heat the pan on medium heat until it's really hot, so when you put the eggs in the temp is high enough to keep them from sticking, then immediately drops but never recovers to get hot enough to brown the egg) and it will be yellow-white and smooth as a baby's butt.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

quote:

:chef: Remember, chickens are filthy creatures who can never know the true meaning of love, so wash anything that comes into contact with the raw chicken very well.

All the recipes look great, but this line made me laugh my rear end off. You mashed potatoes recipe reminds me of how my dad makes 'em, although we don't have a stand mixer. But they're probably just as smooth when he's done. Drives me crazy, personally, 'cus I like my mashed potatoes a little lumpy, but whatever.

Trollking
Sep 9, 2000

Pillbug

quote:

Two whole onions, or am I reading this wrong? That sounds like a lot.

What exactly is ricotta? I've heard of it, and the recipe I got from my grandma originally said "cottage cheese or ricotta", but I've never tried it. We always used cottage cheese while I was growing up.

The onions will shrink up by at least 1/2 as they break down and their water evaporates. You're going to cook them with the meat until they'vew gone practically transparent, like for hash, before you add any liquid. You'll be surprised at how little it seems like after it's cooked. I've made 25 gallon batches of marinara that took almost 50 pounds of onion before, and when finished you couldn't even see them in it.

Ricotta is a soft cheese. It looks like cottage cheese (the name "cottage cheese" may have even come from 'ricotta', but I'm not sure. The brand that I'm most used to using is Precious, the label is white and red and it comes in tubs, like imitation butter. They're the same company that makes most of the string cheese mozzarella that you see in supermarkets on the west coast.

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

I can see that and imagine that but it doesn't tell me what's in it. That concept isn't generic "sausage" here. Our sausages aren't designed to be smashed into patties. If I was to make sausages for breakfast I would be using the kinds of things pictured in my previous post. If I went to a butcher here and asked for sausage, I would be given one of them.

What kind of meat is in your "sausage"? Is it spiced? If so, with what? What else does it contain that isn't the meat?

Man, I'm not sure I can answer that. It's pork, and it is spiced, but I couldn't really tell you for sure what's in it. If I had to make a guess, though, I'd say it's probably like the second recipe on this page

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

quote:

My guess would be he means sausage meat, i.e. the insides of "your" type of sausage (and mine, incidentally) squeezed out while uncooked. I seem to recall you can buy this in larger quantities in the UK (i.e. a lot of sausage meat in a single package, to save you having to buy normal sausages and disembowel them).

Fake edit: this would seem to be what he's talking about, and is described as "essentially seasoned ground meat".

Man, now I'm really hungry :)

Real edit: recipes! No pics, I'm afraid, but they're all fairly simple.

Scrambled Eggs With Salsa
Ingredients:
Eggs
Salsa
Salt & pepper
Optional extras:
Toast

Preparation:
1. Make scrambled eggs however you normally make them. Add a couple of large dollops of yor favourite salsa and stir. Serve (on toast, should you so desire) with a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simple, but really nice.

Pad Thai
Note: This recipe uses British measurements - 1 British tablespoon ≠ 1 US tablespoon for some bizarre reason, so you'll have to check here for the conversions. It might work out OK as it is, but you can convert if you want to make sure :)
Serves 4 (or 3 if they're really hungry)
Ingredients:
4 tbsp oil
150g dried thick rice noodles
200g spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1 large (200g-ish) carrot, peeled and grated
100g beansprouts
4 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
4 tbsp tamarind paste (or if you can't find that, use 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice)
4 tbsp light soy sauce
4 spring onions*, finely sliced
50g unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped (if you use salted peanuts, wash them first to remove the salt)
Optional extras:
10-12 large prawns**, peeled (I used pre-cooked frozen prawns, but you could use fresh ones - you just need to quickly fry them beforehand so they're just cooked)

Translations for Americans:
* "scallions"
** "shrimp"

Preparation:
1. Put the noodles in a pan of warm water and soak for 6-8 minutes (actually the recipe I used said 5, but I left them in for 8 by accident and it turned out fine). When they're done, drain them.
2. Heat a wok or large (emphasis on large) frying pan until pretty hot and add the oil. Add the noodles and egg, and stir fry for 2 minutes until the egg is lightly scrambled.
3. Add the spinach, carrot, bean sprouts, tamarind paste, soy sauce, chilli sauce, and prawns (if using) and stir fry for a further 4-6 minutes until everything is heated through and the noodles are cooked enough (make sure the prawns are properly cooked, if you use them).
4. Sprinkle the peanuts and spring onions over the top and serve.

Crab Cakes
Note to Brits: This recipe uses American measurements, but I just used the Uk equivilent without converting and it worked fine
Ingredients:
6 ounces cooked crabmeat, cut into bite-size pieces or 1 can lump crabmeat
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup finely crushed potato chips (bread or cornflake crumbs can also be used)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (you can also use Old Bay Seasoning)
2 tablespoons cooking oil

Preparation:
1.Combine egg, 1/4 cup of the crushed potato chips, coconut, green onion, mayonnaise or salad dressing, parsley, and coriander in mixing bowl.
2.Stir in crabmeat; mix well.
3.Shape into 12 patties 1/2 inch.
4.Coat patties with remaining crushed potato chips.
5.Heat oil in large skillet.
6.Add crab patties.
7.Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden.

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 5, 2005

crojo
Jun 1, 2000
I beg you, please stop making garlic bread like that.

Make it with garlic, not flavored sand. Mince it or chop it finely, and mix it in with softened butter, then use that to spread the giant pieces of bread. From here you can do whatever you want, but seriously. REAL GARLIC.

DigitalD
Nov 6, 2004
just wanna make sex
Yeah, that lasagna is looking pretty good. You should try making it with ricotta cheese at least once (think of ricotta as thicker cottage cheese). I personally prefer it with only mozzarella cheese as the ricotta mixture can be a little runny some times. Also add a chopped green bell pepper and an onion to the ground beef mixture.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

quote:

Sausage meat? I pretty sure you can buy it like that. My guess is that it would be pork?

EDIT: Beaten like creamy mashed potatoes.

stphrz
Jun 4, 2000
That roundsteak and rice recipe sounds delicious. If I were making it though I would brown the meat very quickly on high heat instead of simmering it on medium heat.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I don't know if they have this outside of North Carolina, because its extremely fresh and delivered in small refridgerated trucks. However, Nisse's sausage is the most goddamn good sausage I've ever had in my life. It comes in wax paper and looks suspect, but trust me when I say that it is the most flavorful, delicious sausage you will ever have.

My parents moved to Michigan earlier this year and every time I come up they make me bring some with me.

I'd post a recipe but I dont have any pictures on this computer. When I get back to school if this thread is still going I'll post something delicious.

Trollking
Sep 9, 2000

Pillbug

quote:

Try Italian Sausage. It's generally ground pork shoulder that's mixed with some wine, fennel, garlic and dried chilis. When you buy it, make sure it's raw, not cured, pre-cooked or smoked. That way, even if it's already stuffed into casing all that you have to do is cut the casing down the side and pull the soft, ground meat out. Your butcher should have a variety of raw sausages, however, from chorizo to Italian to Cumberland to chicken-apple, so you can experiment with whatever sounds good.

stphrz
Jun 4, 2000

quote:

crojo came out of the closet to say:
I beg you, please stop making garlic bread like that.

Make it with garlic, not flavored sand. Mince it or chop it finely, and mix it in with softened butter, then use that to spread the giant pieces of bread. From here you can do whatever you want, but seriously. REAL GARLIC.
I missed this. This is extremely good advice.

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

stphrz came out of the closet to say:
That roundsteak and rice recipe sounds delicious. If I were making it though I would brown the meat very quickly on high heat instead of simmering it on medium heat.

Yeah, it's really good stuff. As soon as my roommate and I have polished off the last of the chicken, we're making some.

As for browning the meat, why would you do it more quickly? The main reason I simmer it for so long is to help tenderize it a bit, since the meat is pretty tough otherwise.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Ricotta cheese is similar to cottage cheese, but it's a more traditional cheese for Lasagna, Manicotti, and white pizza.

Try it out, you'll probably like it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
This thread took a lot of drat effort so I am posting in support.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous cumhead!