Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

We brought the Wii home and played it pretty much nonstop for the past 24 hours. At 12:10am, during a slower couch-sitting game of Wii Sports: Bowling, my Nintendo Wii got angry with me.

My buddy Troy reels back to roll his ball as he's done about 300 times tonight suddenly feels the controller slip from his hand. (THANK GOD for the wrist strap right?)

Nope. Wrist strap snaps. The Wiimote flies across the room impaling my 60" rear projection TV square in the upper left corner.

Be warned: Sweaty hands + faulty Wiimote wrist strap = broken rear end TV.

I don't know much of the details about rear projection TVs. That might just be the outer glass. You can see a small white smudge from where part of the Wiimote hit the screen.

I'm pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.

Jesus Christ... I'm going to have to reinforce my wrist strap or something.

Tragic Fat Detective
Jul 11, 2002

soulja boy tell em

Countdown until people start suing Nintendo for flying Wiimote damage.

sirchode
Jun 25, 2004

Sorry, I had to

Crucified
Nov 3, 2005

But is the REMOTE okay!?!?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Didn't your FRIEND technically break your TV?

raventh1
Feb 2, 2004

Plastic Ninja posted:

ya!

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

I'm sorry but this is the funniest thread I've seen all day.

I just keep picturing a dude making a bowling motion followed by a breaking sound and a resounding "OH SHI..." from everyone present.

Sucks about your tv though.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

I took the wrist strap off for my first game of Tennis because I thought it was dumb and would just get in the way. The thing flew out of my hands and hit the ceiling about 10 feet away! Then I tripped on GameCube cords while retrieving it.

My HDTV is a CRT though, so I think it would have survived a collision with the Wii remote. Whether the remote would have survived is a different question, though.

What are you going to do about your TV? I wonder if Nintendo would have any sympathy for you... I mean, you were following directions with the wrist strap and whatnot.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

My wiimotes have rubber skins for grip and stronger wrist straps just to avoid such an accedent, but I use a projector so I'd be throwing wiimotes through the wall.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

FLAVA FLAV!!!!!

Plastic Ninja posted:

not necessarily, considering Nintendo is hoping you use the wrist strap to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Burnout-Skid posted:

Countdown until people start suing Nintendo for flying Wiimote damage.
That's why we're not allowed to have nice things.

Data
Jan 11, 2005

Holy poo poo balls, that really sucks. I just hope this is an isolated problem with your strap.

Edit: How can you let go of the remote anyway? I mean you don't just let go of your racquet when playing.. tennis or something.

Edit2: Ahh, sweaty nerd hands, I see.

Data fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2006 around 06:39

Gifts for Audiophiles
Dec 10, 2005

Jesus how much force was he bowling with?

I REMOVED the wrist strap on my remote because thats just how I roll, I'm fuckin hardcore

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

but why are his hands sweaty enough to the point where he can't keep his grip on the remote

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

wutdaheck posted:

but why are his hands sweaty enough to the point where he can't keep his grip on the remote

I too have noticed that my hands get sweatier than usual playing with the Wii. Not sweaty enough for the remote to go flying out of my hand, mind you, but sweatier than I would have expected.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Man, sorry for your TV, but I'm printing that picture out as a warning for my friends to wear their straps

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

200-Pound Speaker posted:

Jesus how much force was he bowling with?

I REMOVED the wrist strap on my remote because thats just how I roll, I'm fuckin hardcore

You listen here, Cool Spot, your rebel ways will be the end of you!

This thread makes me feel a little bit better about not getting a Wii after camping for hours, but not much. That really sucks about your TV, though.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005
L-Shaped

Within about 15 minutes of playing the Wii a drink was knocked all over the living room.

When Wiisports warns you to play away from people and objects, loving LISTEN

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

FLAVA FLAV!!!!!

Lol, I hit my friends knee while playing Golf on Wii sports. Lesson learned.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Hahaha... holy poo poo. I feel for ya man.

I thought the wriststraps were made out of rubber or something.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Jesus christ, I was thinking about getting one of these things for parties, but goddamn. Although most of my friends aren't total spazzes, so maybe it will be OK.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

blackguy32 posted:

not necessarily, considering Nintendo is hoping you use the wrist strap to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Notice the picture of the broken wrist strap

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Maybe you should give Nintendo a ring in hopes they reinforce the straps in the future

You are at least the second to post something about breaking straps too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

"You're so cool I'ma call you culo..."

Part of me feels really bad for you, because I would feel the same way.

The other part of me salutes you for actually posting this thread knowing that we will all laugh at you, so you are taking one for the team and are a really, really good sport. I hope you have one of those Circuit City or Best Buy "we replace it if you shovel poo poo and uranium into it" policies.

Speedy
Feb 8, 2003

I ordered a wii today, luckily I have a projector, so worst case my projector screen takes an impact. I'd think it'd be strong enough to withstand a hit from a remote.

CrazyCanuck
Sep 4, 2004

Well, this oughta be different.

Need to put some hockey tape on your wiimote there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Of course I can't find it now, but wasn't there an Old Man Murray review about how a game, I think it was one of the Rainbow Six games, literally broke the guy's monitor? Somehow it actually managed to fry something inside the monitor and it died.

XBurritoXLogicX
Jun 26, 2005

by T. Finninho

I have that same TV in my living room, and those screens are loving tough. My 75lb pitbull jumped on it (he was chasing a TV dog! ) and it only put a scratch in it.

Is your friend a MLB pitcher or something

I don't think it will be TOO expensive. It's more of a plastic then a glass right?

XBurritoXLogicX fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2006 around 06:50

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

THRESHOLD!!!

How heavy is the remote? I can't visualize that strap breaking from that.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2006 around 06:47

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.

Hahahahahaha, sorry but this is hilarious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

FLAVA FLAV!!!!!

Industrial posted:

Notice the picture of the broken wrist strap

Yeah i know. I was saying that Nintendo hopes you use the wrist strap, and it completely failed on him. I remember when someone dropped their gamecube down some stairs while holding it with the gamecube handle.

I would be pretty angry. But I dont know at who though. Its not really the friends fault.

Segaholic2
Jun 6, 2003

Holy poo poo, that sucks. But it's also funny.

I hope all wrist straps don't break like that.

ABOUT DRUGS
Feb 22, 2004

Something about a broken TV screen that still functions is pretty badass imo.

At first I was going to mock you, but the fact that Nintendo's wrist strap BROKE makes this at least partially their fault. I'm not sure you should sue or anything, but I think letting them know about this is in everyone's best interests.

Sorry about your television

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

This happened to one of IGN's remotes too: http://media.wii.ign.com/articles/7...id_1742357.html

Theirs only hit the wall though.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Your friend was really into that game of bowling, wasn't he?

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Does Wii Bowling actually require you to make that fast of a movement?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Were you in the room when this happened? Because that looks like it took a LOT of force.

Like the kind of force you'd get when someone got horribly angry with the game, threw the controller at the TV, then snipped the remote strap and blamed it on the poor Wii

disheveled
Jun 6, 2001

A friend of mine sent a pile of DVD cases flying when he decided that returning a particular shot in WiiSports tennis required a dive, but we definitely haven't had anything get thrown. There's no way I wouldn't use the wrist strap, because eventually I'd end up throwing the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

XBurritoXLogicX posted:

Is your friend a MLB pitcher or something

Troy feels REALLY bad. But all of us present determined it was not his fault. The wrist strap just plain failed.

He also says "I do not have sweaty nerd hands."

I'm definitely gonna give Nintendo a ring tomorrow.

«11 »