Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
Grrn
Jan 30, 2006

We made love like a pair of black wizards.

Just to explain about the subject:
I'm in my first serious relationship, teach full time at the high school level, and consider myself a high level raider in World of Warcraft (high level meaning 5 raid nights a week, and two off nights, each night being 4+ hours of raiding in addition to any necessary time spent doing other things to prepare for raids). I value my job, my relationship, and I take playing WoW very seriously and am struggling to find a balance between the three. My girlfriend is very level headed and we talk through a lot of things, but she just cannot come to any reason as to why she should have to compete with my attention with something like WoW. I feel like there has to be a balance that can be struck and that we just have not found it yet, but I have absolutely no one that I know that a) raids WoW at a high level, b) has a successful relationship, and c) has a full time job.

I am willing to allow for the possibility that this is just not possible, but I feel that someone out there on these forums has to have the same experience that I am having. What kind of balance did you achieve? Did you end the relationship or end up completely stop the gaming? On a side note how does one explain the satisfaction of raiding to someone who plays no games? I would think this would be an easy task, but unfortunately I have not been able to successfully explain this.

Comments and advice are definitely welcome, but I am really interested to hear from other people in the same situation who have been through this particular struggle before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MauledbyaHyena
Aug 19, 2005

by Lowtax

Why, exactly do you take WoW raiding very seriously? 5 days a week is rather extreme, especially if your entire night is occupied with it and you sound rather addicted if you're trying to explain the satisfaction of raiding. Think about it from her perspective, what if she was unavailable 5 nights a week for company and you didn't have an addicting hobby to get sucked into? That's only 2 days you're not spending significant time with her because you're letting strangers from the internet dictate when and how you spend your time on WoW.

Consider cutting back on it, 5 days a week is too much for someone whose SO minds them playing. You can join a less hardcore guild, I raided 3 nights a week in my old guild.

Bizarro Toby
Apr 16, 2002

Are you seriously saying that you'd consider ditching a relationship so you can spend more time raiding?

Johnny Walker
Jun 14, 2005

I've got a home for
Bloggers Let's exchange
ideas,stories and photos
with friendly writers
and editors.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Cut back to 2-3 days a week or something for a while. There's a real live woman here. It's almost surprising with this type of skewed outlook you've gotten this far.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Naked Retard

High-level raid your partner with mouse and used ram chips

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Grrn posted:

Just to explain about the subject:
I'm in my first serious relationship, teach full time at the high school level, and consider myself a high level raider in World of Warcraft (high level meaning 5 raid nights a week, and two off nights, each night being 4+ hours of raiding in addition to any necessary time spent doing other things to prepare for raids).

Regardless of the balance you may or may not achieve in your relationship, what you are currently telling your girlfriend by your actions is that WoW is more important than her. You apparently spend 20+ hours each week *minimum* just on the raiding, plus all the warm-up and cool-down time involved. Sounds like that's every weekday night, leaving your weekends free for spending time with the girlfriend. So 20-30 hours of WoW, and a few hours on the weekend that you spend time with her.

It doesn't matter how much you tell her you love her and care for her and how special she is, if you're turning around and spending so much more time on WoW than with her. However well you tried to explain it, your attempt to describe why raiding is so much "fun" probably resembles what a heroin or coke addict would say to justify their habits (I know it's not the same thing, but that's what the average non-gamer can relate it to).

You're scheduling your girlfriend around your WoW time, instead of the other way around. That's why she's not happy. If you plan more weekday activities with her and then play WoW when there's nothing else planned, she won't mind as much. Are you willing to do that?

darre
Oct 22, 2004

by DocEvil

Wow she doesn't understand your hobby, that's hosed up. You should probably dump her.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Well I mean the only obvious answer is to quit your job and keep raiding and dating the girl.

Seriously though, 5 nights a week? Consider how much fun and fulfillment you get out of that time and the reconsider how you spend you time.

theboojum
Sep 4, 2003

So me interessa o que nao e meu. Lei do homem. Lei do antropofago.

Grrn posted:

My girlfriend is very level headed and we talk through a lot of things, but she just cannot come to any reason as to why she should have to compete with my attention with something like WoW.
Probably because there isn't any reason she should? I mean, you should both have hobbies, but come on.

Endor posted:

It doesn't matter how much you tell her you love her and care for her and how special she is, if you're turning around and spending so much more time on WoW than with her.
Exactly this. Grrn, I know how your girlfriend feels. It sucks to get brushed off for anything, but getting brushed off for a game five nights a week is kind of ridiculous. It really does hurt a lot. If you continue on this way, she'll probably build up a lot of resentment, which will poison your relationship. Please either dump her or seriously cut back.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004
Generic poster who whines about the mods to get attention.

I play plenty of games, but I can't fathom how grinding in MMOs could possibly be a rewarding experience. I can't imagine putting it before someone else.

WhaleFarmerJohn
Jul 13, 2003

If you're get to the point where playing a computer game is taking away from human contact and ruining relationships then you need to get off of the computer and seriously reconsider your priorities.

Grrn
Jan 30, 2006

We made love like a pair of black wizards.

MauledbyaHyena posted:

Why, exactly do you take WoW raiding very seriously? 5 days a week is rather extreme, especially if your entire night is occupied with it and you sound rather addicted if you're trying to explain the satisfaction of raiding. Think about it from her perspective, what if she was unavailable 5 nights a week for company and you didn't have an addicting hobby to get sucked into? That's only 2 days you're not spending significant time with her because you're letting strangers from the internet dictate when and how you spend your time on WoW.

Consider cutting back on it, 5 days a week is too much for someone whose SO minds them playing. You can join a less hardcore guild, I raided 3 nights a week in my old guild.

Yeah, I have cut back considerably in the past three weeks completely cutting out days of raiding. It is very difficult to cut back when leading the guild, though. As for the guild being complete strangers, they are for the most part, my closest friends. As far as the seeing it from her perspective part, yeah I can definitely see what she's saying which is why I am having such a hard time figuring out what to do. Overreacting is something I wish to avoid however.

Bizarro Toby posted:

Are you seriously saying that you'd consider ditching a relationship so you can spend more time raiding?

No, I'm not. The relationship is not going to be ditched. If anything the WoW would go. The problem is that if I did end up quitting WoW I could see myself getting heavily into something else to fill that void. Before doing something rash I just wanted to see if others have had similar experiences.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

She feels that you value WoW more than her. You spend far more time with it than with her. To me this seems correct, as you seem unwilling to compromise (5 nights a week, are you kidding me?)

Leaving aside the fact that it's WoW, it could be anything -- drinking, poker, riding motorcycles, anything -- if you do it 4 hours a night 5 nights a week she will unquestionably feel that she is second place behind your hobby. She is correct -- there is no way you spend 5 hours a night 5 days a week with her, unless you don't sleep. You are not being fair to her (and, seriously that's probably too much WoW.)

You need to compromise if you indeed want to keep dating her. I am not so sure you do as anyone can tell that 5 nights a week is way too often to do anything and expect to maintain a stable relationship.

You need to throttle back on the WoW if you want to keep your girlfriend.

Grrn posted:

The problem is that if I did end up quitting WoW I could see myself getting heavily into something else to fill that void.

How about "spending time with her?"

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

A week has 168 hours. You spend 56 of those hours sleeping. You spend another 40 hours at work, at least. Say you have 72 hours of "free" time left. You are spending more than a quarter of this on WoW. If you have NO other hobbies or interests, this might work. OTOH, if you have no other hobbies or interests, you will be the most boring man alive.

mcbs
Dec 21, 2006

People who don't understand are not going to have much to contribute other than to tell you to give up a hobby you obviously enjoy.

I'm also in a hardcore guild, 5 nights a week, top 20 US in progression. The best way that I've found to explain it is in terms of a commitment to the other people rather than in terms of my own satisfaction. Most friends and boyfriends have been fine with it and just see it as a hobby like anything else. Plenty of people play poker or rock climb or attend religious meeting several times a week. Is she just sitting around waiting for you to fawn over her while you've got your own interests? Maybe she needs a hobby. My best advice would be to make sure you're paying a lot of attention to her when she needs it, and if she wants to make plans to spend time with you on a night when you'd normally have a raid, take the night off and spend it with her.

Also, most raiding guilds that require 5 nights of raiding are requiring far more time invested for farming in order to prepare for those 5 nights. Especially with the expansion, you're probably farming faction and consumables a good deal of the time you're not raiding. My guild is pretty flexible in terms of off time and farming time, but be honest about how much time you're actually devoting to your raiding goals.

It's possible to be in a relationship and play on this level, but it may not be possible to be in THIS relationship, with this person, and do so. If that's the case, decide which is more important and make a choice. If you were crazy enough about this girl that you'd give it all up in a heartbeat, you wouldn't be posting here.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Endor posted:

It doesn't matter how much you tell her you love her and care for her and how special she is, if you're turning around and spending so much more time on WoW than with her.

Agreeing with this. Your actions are speaking much louder than your words are - you're spending more time with Wow than you are with your girlfriend. You're demonstrating, pretty clearly, that you value your raids more than your relationship.

I suppose if you'd really rather be a "high-level raider" than have a girlfriend, that's your decision. But if you're not willing to spend the kind of time with her that good relationships are dependant on, you ought to be honest with yourself and with her about it.

Fortune Favors Diebold
Jan 22, 2007

Insane Cultist has utilized a paint attack!

WhaleFarmerJohn posted:

If you're get to the point where playing a computer game is taking away from human contact and ruining relationships then you need to get off of the computer and seriously reconsider your priorities.

The problem is that with a game like WoW, you are getting human contact, so you don't feel like you're missing out on anything.

My girlfriend and I just moved in together. I probably spend 3 weeknights on WoW (after we make dinner and eat together I go do that, she plays some Civ 4 or watches TV or reads) and one of my weekend days (maybe 4-8 hours). Its nice to go on and talk to people who have become friends. Its fun. But its just a hobby. And it has to be treated as such, otherwise we're talking addiction. Your girlfriend shouldn't have to play second fiddle. That may mean that you get dropped by your guild (which sucks, I must imagine because these are your online friends), but if you're raiding 2 or 3 nights a week there will be plenty of guilds that want you to join them. Especially since by having this hardcore experience you'll have a better knowledge base and bring them all up.

Don't let your girlfriend stop you from playing all together, but don't let WoW make her leave either. Its all about balance.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Grrn, you might consider playing WoW in moderation and living life some. You might find there's a lot more out there in the real world that piques your (and your lady friend's) interests.

EDIT: I'm not saying you MUST give up playing Wow completely, or that you are a loser because you play it. I used to play a shitload of games (although not as seriously as you are) and I still play some. I'm just saying if you play games in moderation, you will have an opportunity to do other things.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

mcbs posted:

Commitment to your guild stuff

This is all fine and good. The fact of the matter is that the OP is probably going to have to make a choice between WoW and his girlfriend. If she doesn't understand the hobby now, she probably won't ever fully come around. Yes, it's a commitment to other people, but those other people are completely intangible to her. If you're spending several days a week playing poker, in person, with people that she has actually met, she'd probably be much more understanding. Committing to people you've never met, over her, is not going to score you any relationship brownie points.

To the OP: Here's your issue. You can't (or won't) give up WoW for her, and she doesn't understand this. Your relationship is going to fail because of this game. You will probably have to choose one or the other. If you could cut back to a couple of days a week playing WoW, maybe your relationship will have a chance, but if you maintain the 5 days a week of raiding, things are going to fall apart.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Chief Quality Inspector of Donner Kebab & Coffee Inc.

FalconBob posted:

The problem is that with a game like WoW, you are getting human contact, so you don't feel like you're missing out on anything.

You aren't getting human contact. Raiding in WoW is really no better than spending all your spare time on IRC. What you are getting is some twisted perversion of human contact, mostly with 12 year olds.

Play whatever games you like for however long you like but don't pretend calling out targets and telling people to watch their mana or buff your character or whatever it is you do comes even close to real life social interaction.

If i was the Op's girlfriend i'd be thinking that the relationship has absolutely no future. How are you going to start a family when dad spend 20+ hours a week trying to get a cloudsong?

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003

Make sure you keep a copy of this thread on your computer in a .txt file or something. That way when you post the "My girlfriend left me" E/N thread in a few months time you will have a good reference point. The amount of time you put into the game makes you sorta sound like an addict. I play alot of video games, but I can always put the game on pause and nobody I play with would give a poo poo if I said I'm gonna go do something with my girlfriend for a bit catch ya later internet dudes. Try to take a step back to examine whats going on here, you are not fulfilling your girls needs because you are playing a video game. If nothing changes then you guys are going to continue to be unhappy or things are going to fall apart. I don't have a clear solution, but nobody can tell you how to live your life anyway.

I can tell you this though, I prefer a blow job over commanding a cartoon character on my computer to kill somebody any day of the week. Maybe you just have different priorities.

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o

Jesus Christ, stop playing wow and commit that free time to your girlfriend or it will end. WoW will ruin a lot of poo poo in your life, I played it for 8 months of my life and I wish I had that time back to enjoy it doing other things with the people I love and my friends. I know it is hard to give up but once you stop your life improves drastically, mine did.

hacknee
Dec 1, 2004

chilly down

I can't believe anyone would pick a game over their girlfriend. You can't seriously see that the obvious solution, if you want to keep this girl and don't want her to feel hurt and neglected, is to drop a lot of the game? At least your position as a high level raider? You can't be mid or low level raider without feeling bad?

My two little brothers are addicted to WoW and it's no wonder they never stop suckling the cold mechanical teats of their computers if this is an example of the type of mindset a WoW player gets.

Ajaarg
Jul 25, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2587 days!

hacknee posted:

My two little brothers are addicted to WoW and it's no wonder they never stop suckling the cold mechanical teats of their computers if this is an example of the type of mindset a WoW player gets.

The thing about MMOs, and WoW is the best example of it, is that they are built to promote addiction. The game works on an exponentially decreasing scale of time to reward. To get to level 10 takes only 3 hours or so; to get to 20, on the other hand, takes about a day. And about 9 days for 50. At the highest levels, the game sucks time like a black hole for just the slightest increase in power.

People get addicted to gambling for the same reasons they get addicted to MMOs: the potential reward of a possible payout is there, but the game is heavily stacked against winning. That's not to say that you can't play it without getting addicted, but the game itself is designed to draw you in and keep you there.

My advice to the OP is that WoW is ruining your life and you need to quit until you can find some kind of balance.

Darksim
Dec 27, 2005

I call bullshit lets see some pictures.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

I've been in almost this exact situation, so I (kind of) understand where you are coming from. I was in the top horde guild on my server, and for a portion of time it was the top guild on the server. We raided 5-6 nights a week; usually they only lasted 4 or so hours but sometimes there would be marathons. I was a part of that guild for probably about a year, and I played EQ at the same level for at least two and a half, so it's not like I have just a small taste.

The guy I was in a relationship with was completely fine with it, but I wasn't. I didn't need to spend every moment with him, but I felt like the time I was raiding was cutting into the time I actually did want to spend with him, if that makes any sense.

Who is the one that's feeling bad because you spend so much time on WoW? Is it only her making you feel that way, or do you feel bad because you want to spend time with her but you also feel a want to help your guild? If it's the former then she probably needs to chill out, as long as you do spend a respectable amount of time with her. If, however, you sit down to play and realize halfway through a raid, "wow, I'd much rather be with my girlfriend," you should really do that, it's much more rewarding on a personal level in the long run.

If you're so worried about dropping WoW and picking up something to fill the void, don't be. I recently quit and while I really haven't picked up anything overly productive (I've started going to the gym more often, but I could have done that while playing WoW), but the stuff I use to fill that time void are much less addictive. You may end up spending 4 hours watching TV or browsing the web instead of playing WoW, but let me tell you, it's about a million times easier to pull yourself away from those activities than it is to do the same thing with WoW.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2007 around 17:35

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Darksim posted:

I call bullshit lets see some pictures.

I call bullshit on this post (it is a bad post)

Deer_fire posted:

Who is the one that's feeling bad because you spend so much time on WoW? Is it only her making you feel that way, or do you feel bad because you want to spend time with her but you also feel a want to help your guild? If it's the former then she probably needs to chill out, as long as you do spend a respectable amount of time with her.

How can he possibly spend an equal amount of time with her if he is raiding 20 hours a week?! Of course she has the right to give him a hard time -- she is expressing her concerns that her needs are not being met. That's communication, I'd rather she said something than just sat there and was sad while he played all night.

Look, a little WoW is fine, but there's just no way he can possibly be giving her equal time, and regardless of what the hobby is, it's only fair in a relationship to expect similar or equal time be given to the girl or boyfriend.

How do you think he'd feel if he didn't play WoW and she spent 20 hours a week with her friends doing stuff she liked and excluding him?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Be careful what you wish for.

Stop playing Warcraft altogether.

I swear, the way people waste their times on these types of games is appalling. Are you going to tell your grandkids - with any sense of pride - that you spent years of your life in front of a computer screen pretending to be a magical woodland character?

People like you who can't prioritize real life over their fantasy video game life really disgust me.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Jesus Christ am I glad that I'm in a casual guild.

I played 2-3 night a week for a while, but with karazhan being somewhat hardcore and a pain, I've somewhat ignored it and just run an instance every once in a while to get some rep. I actually enjoy my wow time more these days, even though my playing has gone down a lot.

TBC has made the game far more casual fo me...

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!

Maybe you could set aside a couple of nights a week where you can commit to playing, unless something important comes up (i.e. your girlfriend knows that you play WoW every Tuesday and Thursday and won't expect to see you those nights, but if her parents have an anniversary party on a Tuesday and you're invited well in advance, or if she breaks her leg on a Thursday night and needs you to drive her to the hospital, you'll be there for her). Aside from those nights, you would generally be available to do stuff with her, but if you guys don't have plans and you're just sitting around your house for the evening, you could certainly play then as well and she shouldn't mind that.

If it's a situation where you MUST commit in advance to playing five nights a week for the whole evening, I don't think you can fulfill that while maintaining this relationship. Hopefully there's a way you can balance it with your hobby and the friends that are part of that hobby, but if your friends aren't okay with anything less than 100% commitment, they're being jerks, and if they can't understand choosing a woman over a 20+-hour-a-week obsession, they're screwed-up.

quote:

If it's the former then she probably needs to chill out, as long as you do spend a respectable amount of time with her.
I don't think it's an issue of spending "a respectable amount of time with her," as much as it's about having to wedge the relationship in AROUND the game. If she were whining about him having any interests outside of her, that would be very different, but that's not what's being indicated.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2007 around 17:49

George Pooshoes
Nov 5, 2006

The Universe is Beautiful.
Something like... a new woman that I was going to date. You're dark, and you're massive, and you have a black hole.

Pick up a hobby that actually yields experience or levels in reality. I don't see the point in investing all of that time into something that will become obsolete in a few years.

For instance, you could put that money you were paying for the subscription fee into something useful. For example, take some kind of music lessons, and learn an instrument.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Full time job, girlfriend, high end raiding in WoW. Pick two. That's all there is to it. There is no way to balance the three, not enough time in a day to do that poo poo. Plus the raid game in wow right now is the worst it ever has been, would be a great time to get out.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

I got my girlfriend to start playing WoW, and now we raid together.

Problem solved.

...But, I only raid 3 nights a week maximum, so maybe that's your problem. I'd cut back a day or two on the raiding, and everything should be fine.

Oh I have a full time job too. It's possible to have all three, your significant other just has to either understand your hobby or share it with you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Oh my god, he mentioned WoW so he must be a loser. Quick, quit even thinking about WoW!

In reality, its a hobby and you don't have to justify your hobbies to random people on the internet. If you enjoy playing WoW that much keep doing it, but realize you might need to cut back in order to spend enough time with your girlfriend. It sucks that there are only 168 hours in a week (except for this week, 167), but you're going to have to choose how you allocate your time. In my opinion, if your personal relationships are suffering due to any hobby, be it rock-climbing, fishing, going clubbing, or computer games, you need to scale back that hobby.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

6 months ago I would've been appalled at this thread. However, in the last few months I've gotten into Warcraft, and since I play almost exclusively with friends (friends in my guild, I pretty much only do instances with friends) I can sort of see where you're coming from --

but in about 3 months of playing I've probably stayed in 3 or 4 weekend nights to play WoW instead of going out. I've probably turned down one or two other social events to play. Yes, it feels like you're getting social interaction - and LAN parties, however supremely dorky they are, actually are a lot of fun - but it's not a replacement for actual social interaction. If you want this relationship to work you're going to have to delegate WoW firmly to the category of 'casual hobby' and spend more time with your girlfriend.

Either that or get her addicted.

meatlock
Oct 9, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Grrn posted:

No, I'm not. The relationship is not going to be ditched. If anything the WoW would go. The problem is that if I did end up quitting WoW I could see myself getting heavily into something else to fill that void. Before doing something rash I just wanted to see if others have had similar experiences.

trust me, you won't get into anything as heavily as you did WoW to fill that void.

Honostly, if you ask me (someone who was also once addicted to MMORPG's) - you need to stop playing. period. you are devoting way to much of your time and life to a virtual reality world that is not benefiting you in any way in the real world. In fact, i doubt it's even that much fun for you anymore wether you realize it or not.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and i doubt you will take my advice, but life was not meant to be spent playing video games 4 hours a night and building up your character.

You are wasting your time, money, and in all likelyhood your mental state, health, and well-being are taking a hit as well. If you play as much as you do you probably have a good character and could sell it for a few hundred dollars on eBay or SA Mart or something. Do that. Please. Uninstall the game and get back to reality.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Cum all over my mirrors just gettin off on my self maan, UUAOHH

WORSHIPPIN' this BIIG motherfucker.

*fingers dickhole*

AppleCobbler posted:

Stop playing Warcraft altogether.

I swear, the way people waste their times on these types of games is appalling. Are you going to tell your grandkids - with any sense of pride - that you spent years of your life in front of a computer screen pretending to be a magical woodland character?

People like you who can't prioritize real life over their fantasy video game life really disgust me.

Do you have the same attitude towards other peoples hobbies? Such as someone who builds ships inside tiny glass bottles, or paints?

WoW is a hobby, and its a hobby for ALOT of people. What I dont understand is how people like you can think otherwise. Sure, its a big loving waste of time, but if he derives satisfaction from it, why not? The other aforementioned activies are in the same boat, big loving wastes of time (unless its a job, but then its not a hobby, is it?), but people do it because they derive enjoyment and fun from it.

Who the gently caress cares if he cant tell his grandkids any proud stories? Sure, my grandfather fought in WWII, which is fantastic, but his hobby is WHITTLING WOOD. HOLY poo poo THERES SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF RIGHT THERE! Everytime I see him, and have seen him in the last 19 years of my life, he has been whittling and carving wood. All day every day. The man must've cut down an entire forest in his lifetime. Does he tell me with any sense of pride that he whittles wood all day? Of course he doesnt, because he doesnt give a poo poo, since he takes enjoyment from it.

Are you supposed to be able to regale your grandkids with epic tales of your hobbies? Seriously, get a grip.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2007 around 18:11

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

Are you going to tell your grandkids - with any sense of pride - that you spent years of your life in front of a computer screen pretending to be a magical woodland character?

Could be.

Actually, given that grandkids will probably still be playing videogames in the year 2050, they may actually be interested in hearing how grandad was a raid-leader in one of those "ancient games".

quote:

You could put that money you were paying for the subscription fee into something useful. For example, take some kind of music lessons, and learn an instrument.

I'll get right on those $15 once-a-month music lessons with my $40 ukulele, Captain Buzzkill.

quote:

Hopefully there's a way you can balance it with your hobby and the friends that are part of that hobby, but if your friends aren't okay with anything less than 100% commitment, they're being jerks, and if they can't understand choosing a woman over a 20+-hour-a-week obsession, they're screwed-up.

In this case it's not so much the WoW guildmates being screwed-up jerks (although they could be) but when there's 30-60 people involved with a really time-consuming raid, the leaders like Grrn have a "duty" to invest a shitload of time making sure everything will go smoothly, or everyone dies or whatever, and wasted their time. If Grrn isn't able to invest the time I'm sure there's another 5 or 10 teenagers with too much free time willing to jump right into the role.

Ajaarg
Jul 25, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2587 days!

Old Carbuncle posted:

Do you have the same attitude towards other peoples hobbies? Such as someone who builds ships inside tiny glass bottles, or paints?

WoW is a hobby, and its a hobby for ALOT of people. What I dont understand is how people like you can think otherwise.

It's a hobby the same way gambling is a hobby. Not to say you can't do either with some measure of control, but you have to take a hard look at yourself. Is it a hobby or an addiction? If you're struggling to keep up a relationship or a job, here is a hint: it's not a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatlock
Oct 9, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Old Carbuncle posted:

WoW is a hobby, and its a hobby for ALOT of people. What I dont understand is how people like you can think otherwise. Sure, its a big loving waste of time, but if he derives satisfaction from it, why not? The other aforementioned activies are in the same boat, big loving wastes of time (unless its a job, but then its not a hobby, is it?), but people do it because they derive enjoyment and fun from it.

Who the gently caress cares if he cant tell his grandkids any proud stories? Sure, my grandfather fought in WWII, which is fantastic, but his hobby is WHITTLING WOOD. HOLY poo poo THERES SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF RIGHT THERE! Everytime I see him, and have seen him in the last 19 years of my life, he has been whittling and carving wood. All day every day. The man must've cut down an entire forest in his lifetime. Does he tell me with any sense of pride that he whittles wood all day? Of course he doesnt, because he doesnt give a poo poo, since he takes enjoyment from it.

Are you supposed to be able to regale your grandkids with epic tales of your hobbies? Seriously, get a grip.

It's not a hobby for this guy anymore. When you're spending 4 hours a night and have COMMITMENTS in a virtual world that are straining relationships and your well-being, it's no longer a hobby. the problem with MMORPG's is that far too many people can't manage themselves and restrict it to being a hobby. It becomes an obsession. After awhile it's no longer enjoyable, trust me.

There are also health effects associated with WoW that arn't prevalent in other hobbies. I doubt your grandfather in the prime of his life spent 4 hours a night widdling wood and neglecting your grandmother. Your grandfather also has something to show for his time - he is working on a craft, using his hands and relaxing. People who build models or ships in bottles are also finding a way to wind down and relax. WoW is more stressful than you think. It's very competitive and goal oriented. The only thing you're learning is the game itself.

Judging by your tone, you're probably the one who needs to get a grip, for your own good.

«16 »