Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

your attempt at trolling me have completely backfired.

A couple of weeks ago, you may remember an IF game called Innerspace It was cute, but short, with not much to do. I took the responses and wrote Cybermagic: The Red Light Tower using the same SUDS engine as before. Its at least twice as long, with an emphasis on exploration and world building.

The game is based in a world that I'm using in a cyberpunk/high fantasy series called Cybermagic. I've been told the books are pretty good, but the publishing industry being what it is, if they will ever see store shelves. Because of that, you don't have to have read the books to enjoy this as I've written it with this in mind(and the writing for the novels is slightly different in style).
Here's the introduction:

quote:

You're Alfonso Deegan. You're a private eye, who moonlights as a techno-spy on the side. You like elven women and explosive action.

Right now, you're sitting in your tower office having a smoke. The screen on the back wall lights up, showing your Elven ex-girlfriend, Tifa, standing outside.

You wonder why she would come here. She never came when she was dating you -- must be important.

"Come in, Tifa," you call.

Tifa walks in and sits down.

At first there is nothing more than awkward silence between you two, but she soon speaks, "Alfonso, I need your help."

You lean forward. "What do you need, Tifa?"

She sighs. "It's about one of the girls at the Golden Flute named Quintis. I think she's in trouble.

"How so?" you ask.

Tifa stares out the window behind you. "I can't explain it, but she's been scared and aloof ever since she serviced this goblin two days ago."

You nearly fall backwards. "A goblin? Most can't afford your establishment."

"This one could, and for some reason she's not herself. I want you to talk to her, find out what's going on, and if something is up, solve the issue."

"How much?" you ask.

Tifa crosses her arms and frowns. "Alfonso... after all we went through."

"I need to pay the rent, Tifa, I'm sorry."

"I don't have the money," Tifa smirks, "but we can a have night of hot, wild sex like we used to have when you complete it.'

"Deal!"

Tifa smiles. "I know what gets you motivated." Tifa stands. " I have to go to work, Quintis will probably be there too. Can you stop by the Red Light Tower tonight? You may need to act fast."

"I'll be on my way a short time after you."

"Good, see you then."

Tifa exits.

FAQ:

Q. What is SUDS?

SUDS is a graphical IF engine. Find all the info you need on it here.

Q. What do I need to do to play the game?
Download Cybermagic.zip Contains the player pack and the Cybermagic SUDS file.

Install the player pack and when it opens, click install and load the file.

Q. Are there mazes in this game like there were in Innerspace?

None! I hated creating them as much you did playing them. Plus they make no sense in the world the game takes place in.

Q. Certain use with commands don't seem to do anything.

SUDS is pretty anal about this, "use A with B" can do something but "use B with A" doesn't unless I tell it to. There's many reasons for this I'm not going to get into. If it doesn't work one way, try it the other and if it doesn't work, nothing is supposed to happen with it.

Also, this has been proofread but there may be some typos or capitalization errors left as this game has three times as much text as Innerspace did.

Enjoy, feel free to leave any comments or questions, but put any game solutions in spoiler tags, thanks.

P.S. Save Often! There are many deaths in game, a great many hilarious, so you'll need to save.

Roshi fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2007 around 01:57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Bump! Hoping people are enjoying it by lack of responses

tour de horse
Oct 4, 2006
Ship Shape

Play it. It's good.

BananaNutkins
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Sport Highlight posted:

Play it. It's good.

I was hovering over the download button, but then I read the outtake. Maybe I will if someone explains why the names are borrowed from Final Fantasy.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

BananaNutkins posted:

I was hovering over the download button, but then I read the outtake. Maybe I will if someone explains why the names are borrowed from Final Fantasy.

Because FF has alot of good fantasy names, that's the only reason.
There's a character in the novel named Aeris who is a male elf

Roshi fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2007 around 21:07

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

So what do people think of it?

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Bump for the night crew.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Roshi posted:

Because FF has alot of good fantasy names, that's the only reason.
There's a character in the novel named Aeris who is a male elf

I really don't think that's a good enough explanation. Everything I've ever seen/read that's used FF names hasn't been uterrly terrible, unimaginative and just plain badly done.

I recommend you rethink your decision, it's giving us somewhat of a first impression of it before we've even had one.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Yeah... uh, I had the same first impression. I got halfway through the post, saw the name Tifa, rolled my eyes and said, 'Did you HAVE to name her Tifa?'

Glad to see I'm not the only one with that reaction, heh.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Ferret Basket posted:

I really don't think that's a good enough explanation. Everything I've ever seen/read that's used FF names hasn't been uterrly terrible, unimaginative and just plain badly done.
Prepare to be suprised.

Tifa I pulled out of thin air a year and half ago and Quintis is actually used because of an elven female naming convention I have in the world.

Fivestar
Mar 18, 2007

by Lowtax

I hate the name Tifa. I didn't download the game because of it. I don't plan to either.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Fivestar posted:

I hate the name Tifa. I didn't download the game because of it. I don't plan to either.

Well then don't, because if you can't get past a name for a character who has absolutley nothing to do with Tifa from FF7, I don't really know what to tell you.

Roshi fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2007 around 01:17

Ickbug
Aug 23, 2005

by Lowtax

Ferret Basket posted:

I recommend you rethink your decision, it's giving us somewhat of a first impression of it before we've even had one.

Do namechanges really make something suddenly AWESOME? If it's good it's good regardless of whether the names appeared in a more popular game.

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

Someone bold, someone blue, someone borrowed, someone new...

I'm avoiding this because "Cybermagic" sounds like a RIFTS netbook that some fifteen year old shat out between episodes of Evangelion. Plus, that writing makes me want to tear my eyes out.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Bieeardo posted:

I'm avoiding this because "Cybermagic" sounds like a RIFTS netbook that some fifteen year old shat out between episodes of Evangelion. Plus, that writing makes me want to tear my eyes out.
I'd respect you more if you played the whole thing, and then said it sucked.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Final bump for the night, I'll bump it once more tommorrow.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

o fuk traffic

quote:

Tifa crosses her arms and frowns. "Alfonso... after all we went through."

"I need to pay the rent, Tifa, I'm sorry."

"I don't have the money," Tifa smirks, "but we can a have night of hot, wild sex like we used to have when you complete it.'

"Deal!"

Ahahahaha are you serious?

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Heartbreak Hammerchrist posted:

Ahahahaha are you serious?

Yup. Alfonso's elf fetish is a running joke through the series.
And besides, it'd make more sense if you ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME

Roshi fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2007 around 02:41

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Ickbug posted:

Do namechanges really make something suddenly AWESOME? If it's good it's good regardless of whether the names appeared in a more popular game.

Correct naming is incredibly important in fiction. Yes this is a game, but IF is still fiction at the end of the day, and the writing is the most important thing about it.

With fiction, you're only given the information about that character that the writer wants you to know. Generally, one of the first things about this is the name.
Just simply a name can conjure up images of a person, it can give you information about them that you haven't been told yet, it's slightly subconcious but it happens.
It can be very, very hard to get around that. Any good fiction writer will tell you- Character first, names later. You get a name to fit the person.

Thinking "Oh I've got a good idea for a character, I'll call them Tifa because it's a cool name!" Is poor because the names feel tacked on hapharzardly.
Thinking "Hey I like the name Tifa, let's make a character." Is also poor, because the writer will most likely have the same preconceptions that readers do, and this will affect the writing.

Anyone who reads it will get the feeling that the name doesn't feel right, and it will adversely affect everything. Anyone who is even aware of a character in FF7 (and let's face it this was posted on a games board) will find it very hard, nay impossible to get over that initial image.

So no, a namechange wont make it awesome, it has to be the right name, and sharing popular fantasy names is a recipie for disaster.
If you find it hard to think of a name to match a character, then remember, that "normal" real word names can go a long way.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Ferret Basket posted:

Correct naming is incredibly important in fiction. Yes this is a game, but IF is still fiction at the end of the day, and the writing is the most important thing about it.
Have you played the game? Well have you?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Roshi posted:

Have you played the game? Well have you?

I read your exceprt and it led me to believe that the writing was awful, and so there would be no need for me to play an IF game where the writing was bad.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Ferret Basket posted:

I read your exceprt and it led me to believe that the writing was awful, and so there would be no need for me to play an IF game where the writing was bad.

Keep in mind, writing in IF games generally is awful. "You are standing in field west of a white house" is not exactly a bastillion of good writing.

And that particular section is not indicative of the rest of the writing in the game(only of the cut scenes ).

And if you're not going to play it, get out of the thread.

And if nobody actually wants to play this game, I might as well close this thread right? And so the next time some person posts something that does not relate to the actual game in the Suds player which they are either downloading or playing, that is exactly what will happen.

Roshi fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2007 around 04:00

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

One last final bump for good measure.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Roshi posted:

Keep in mind, writing in IF games generally is awful. "You are standing in field west of a white house" is not exactly a bastillion of good writing.

That might have been a valid excuse in 1982, when IF was a new genre that had to work within the limitations of existing technology. Even if we're willing to assume that terse == bad, IF prose used to be terse for practical reasons. The technical limitations don't exist anymore. Bad fiction is bad fiction, interactive or otherwise. "Most of it sucks" is a cop-out.

I tried to play your game. SUDS has a horrible interface, which didn't help matters. When I tried to pick up the equipment case, it said I didn't need it yet. You give the player a case full of cool stuff, and you won't even let him pick it up? I went down the lift, walked outside, and decided I didn't care enough to continue.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

DaTroof posted:

When I tried to pick up the equipment case, it said I didn't need it yet. You give the player a case full of cool stuff, and you won't even let him pick it up?
Oh you'll pick it up, the vast majority of the puzzles are solved with those items. You just need to talk to Quintis first.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Roshi posted:

Oh you'll pick it up, the vast majority of the puzzles are solved with those items. You just need to talk to Quintis first.

Artificial limitations break immersion. The player shouldn't feel like the game is forcing the direction of the story. A little direction is often necessary, but not letting me pick up the case is totally arbitrary. It'll also piss me off when I get to a point where I need it and have to go back for it.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

DaTroof posted:

Artificial limitations break immersion. The player shouldn't feel like the game is forcing the direction of the story. A little direction is often necessary, but not letting me pick up the case is totally arbitrary. It'll also piss me off when I get to a point where I need it and have to go back for it.
Its not arbitrary at all, there's a specific reason why you can't pick it up at the beginning, its in the game if you look for it. It would be arbitrary if there wasn't a reason for it, but there is. But still, you do have a valid criticism and your critiques of gaming design would be helpfull. Can you play the rest of it and critique it too?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Roshi posted:

Its not arbitrary at all, there's a specific reason why you can't pick it up at the beginning, its in the game if you look for it. It would be arbitrary if there wasn't a reason for it, but there is. But still, you do have a valid criticism and your critiques of gaming design would be helpfull. Can you play the rest of it and critique it too?

I went to the club and talked to Quintis. Then the game told me to go get my equipment case, because it looked like I would need it. No poo poo, game. That's why I tried to pick it up in the first place. Why couldn't I grab it before I left the office? Is there some other reason you're not telling me? I can't imagine a good one. It leaves me with the impression that the game thinks it's smarter than I am, yet it's demonstrably wrong.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

DaTroof posted:

I went to the club and talked to Quintis. Then the game told me to go get my equipment case, because it looked like I would need it. No poo poo, game. That's why I tried to pick it up in the first place. Why couldn't I grab it before I left the office?
Because Alfonso doesn't need his equipment yet. Like he needs to spy gear to goto a bar and talk to somebody. Once this case snowballs, he realizes he needs it, and then brings it out. The same things happens in the novels. I don't use the equipment until he needs it, it doesn't mean it isn't there in his office.

Edit:
You can't have it both ways. You can't yell at me for the writing being awful but then yell at me for not allowing you to access the eqipment case at first because you, the player, operates under a set of rules. Remember you're playing a character, while later on I give you more freedom, you are still playing a defined character who operates under a set of rules and behaviors. He's not going to bring his spy equipment to a case he knows nothing about at first.

Roshi fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2007 around 21:58

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Roshi posted:

Because Alfonso doesn't need his equipment yet. Like he needs to spy gear to goto a bar and talk to somebody. Once this case snowballs, he realizes he needs it, and then brings it out. The same things happens in the novels. I don't use the equipment until he needs it, it doesn't mean it isn't there in his office.

Edit:
You can't have it both ways. You can't yell at me for the writing being awful but then yell at me for not allowing you to access the eqipment case at first because you, the player, operates under a set of rules. Remember you're playing a character, while later on I give you more freedom, you are still playing a defined character who operates under a set of rules and behaviors. He's not going to bring his spy equipment to a case he knows nothing about at first.

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. I haven't even told you that the writing is awful yet. I just pointed out an element of the game that annoyed me in the first minute. Then I continued at your request, and the next thing I know, the game slaps me in the face with an event that made me think, I shouldn't have left my loving equipment in the office. I don't want to play Alfonso anymore. He's an idiot.

What rule am I breaking by wanting Alfonso to carry the tools of his trade? He never brings them along unless he has a predetermined purpose in mind? He absolutely refuses? Not even his gun? I guess Alfonso was never a Boy Scout.

This is interactive fiction, so Alfonso's feelings on the matter are secondary, especially in a matter as trivial as this one. If he refuses to shoot Quintis in the face, I understand his reluctance. If he refuses to carry his equipment, I think he's a dipshit. He doesn't think he needs his gear? gently caress him, I think he's wrong. Worse yet, the story penalizes the player for a lack of preparation that the game enforced. It turns out that the equipment would have been useful for questioning the shady guy immediately after I left the bar. Instead, the game makes me go back to the office for it. gently caress that. Let the player show some prudence, even if you've written Alfonso as too stupid to have any.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I just talk to Quintis and confronted shady man with the gun. Now I'm at the massage parlor and can't figure out where to stealth myself.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

SneakySnake posted:

I just talk to Quintis and confronted shady man with the gun. Now I'm at the massage parlor and can't figure out where to stealth myself.
that's a tough one. I give a subtle hint in Verta's bathroom. Remember that clue too, as you'll have to stealh a second time later and the room is identified the same way.

Roshi fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2007 around 00:52

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roshi posted:

that's a tough one. I give a subtle hint in Verta's bathroom. Remember that clue too, as you'll have to stealh a second time later and the room is identified the same way.

I'm stuck before that. Got my poo poo, talked to Quintis, confronted Malcolm and checked out his place but he's not home. Not sure of what to do next.

I'm the worst detective ever.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Is there a reason why this thread is stickied?

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

SneakySnake posted:

I'm stuck before that.

Did you get the porn mag from your apartment and give it to Ogg?

Chuuuuch posted:

Don't ask me.

Roshi fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2007 around 00:59

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT MY BI-WEEKLY KANJAM CLUB FOR SENIORS

Chuuuuch posted:

It's just such a great game, everyone should try it.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roshi posted:

Did you get the porn mag from your apartment and give it to the troll?

No, but I never would have figured that out on my own.

Edit: wait, I thought you meant Ogg. No, I haven't even found that guy yet.

SneakySnake fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2007 around 01:03

judge reinhold
Jul 25, 2001

When Jon Lovitz 3 comes out, can I have it stickied, too? I'm positive it'll be better than this.

NachoBox
Dec 15, 2004

by Fragmaster

Chuuuuch posted:

Maybe if you reply to your own thread enough times/minute it automatically gets stuck??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeManiac
Nov 13, 2000

Always Drinking

Chuuuuch posted:

I endorse everyone to download and comment on this game. Support goon made games.

«3 »