Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
TO: Cho Seung-Hui
RE: Critical notes on the play "Richard McBeef" for your consideration.
DATE: 04/19/07

Mr. Cho,

You may be the most prolific campus mass murderer in U.S. history, but you certainly won't be "slaying" anyone on Broadway with this pathetic snoozefest.

In terms of plot, character development, dialogue, and stagability, "Richard McBeef" is decidedly sub-par. However, the play is not without potential, and I have assembled the following set of notes to assist you with future drafts -- after all, the true art of writing for the stage is in RE-writing for the stage.

Notes:
  • Imagery: You do introduce some interesting motifs. The half-eaten cereal bar, for example, presents a poignant metaphor for unfinished business, a morning frozen in time, a day un-begun, an unfulfilled desire. The "poo" motif, on the other hand, strikes me as rather juvenile and rather detracts from the story. You might consider broadening the motif to refuse or waste in general, rather than strrictly referring to fecal matter by its colloquial term. Finally, there is the ever-present phallic motif, starting with the protagonist's name. Again, we have a highbrow concept with juvenile results. You must remember that symbolism is the most powerful weapon in the playwright's arsenal. You must use it carefully and with precision -- taking aim at your literary targets, rather than simply spraying the audience with a barrage of disconnected motifs.

• Opening scene: Though the "dysfunctional family routine" has been written to death already, there's always room for a new perspective. This you completely fail to provide us. We have no idea who these characters are or why we should care about them before they start shouting at each other. Establish some kind of setting for us, surely there's an external socioeconomic context in which this story is occurring? Introduce us a bit to your dysfunctional family.

• Three-Act Structure: You've presented us with the bare minimum of an Act One before apparently killing off one of your three main characters. What's left for acts two and three? If this is intended as a one-act, you need to apply some sort of story arc where there is a transformation, realization, or clarification of some aspect of your protagonist. No such transformation happens in this play, except for the apparent transformation of the antagonist from non-dead to dead. While death in and of itself is certainly a transformative change, as you and many of your classmates are no doubt aware, it's not particularly the type of change that makes for exciting drama unless it is accompanied by something more profund.

• Characters: The characterization is weak at best. The John character starts his existence angry and hostile, giving the audience no opportunity to connect with him. They may feel some sympathy to the Richard character, but he is given very little voice with which to assert himself. Sue is tremendously underdeveloped and has no apparent inner monologue guiding her actions. She merely swings from one emotion to the otherin response to the events onstage as if locked in some sort of Pavlovian response feedback loop.

• Show us, don't tell us: Much of the character development that does occur comes in the form of long diatribes by the John character, alleging details about the Richard character's past. This leaves the audience with just that - an empty accusation. For example, John tells us that Richard was "a janitor one time. You're a one time truck driver. You taught preschool kids for two months. And now you' re what you like to call yourself a chef, what the rest of the world calls hamburger flipper. Back where you came from. The pinnacle of your career was when you were a pro football player. How long did that last? Three weeks! Ha! You're over the hills , buster!"

How are we, the audience, expected to believe this? This part of the story could be much more effective if shown to us through a series of flashbacks. You will strengthen the Richard character by showing us his gradual descent into ignominy and failure.

• Believability: Much of the dialogue and on-stage action is gratuitous at best and ludicrous at worst. As any drama teacher will tell you as you block a scene - walk with a purpose. Move with a purpose. Nowhere is this more poignant than in the scene where Sue suddenly and unexpectedly brandishes a chainsaw to express her shock and awe at the alleged molestation of her son.. This is simply unbelievable, unblockable, and would present a clear and present liability for producers and onstage personnel. The numerous attempts at onstage fisticuffs are also extremely difficult to block in a way that will be believable but still allow the actors to project their lines without breaking the fourth wall. You may consider - and this is merely a suggestion - replacing much of this physical violence with verbal exchange.

• Typos, typos, typos: I cannot overemphasize the importance of fixing those little grammatical and spelling errors. Spell-check, please!

While this may appear a rather harsh assessment, please try to receive this as constructive criticism. I am confident that you take a shot at revisng this play, perhaps even a ground-up rewrite. With some work, you may end up with some high-caliber drama.

All the best,
toasterhead

toasterhead

FOR WICKED DISCOURSIVE INTERNETTERY PLEASE READ TOASTERHEAD'S BLOGOSPHERE. OR NOT I'M LARGELY APATHETIC AS TO IT PER SE

ADBOT LOVES YOU
Adbot
t-head: typin wordz since 2k1

bagong show
Oculus
read and lolled

the holocaust literally never happened
moonshine

j

Lullabi posted:

read and lolled
Today IS one fruity day!

toasterhead

FOR WICKED DISCOURSIVE INTERNETTERY PLEASE READ TOASTERHEAD'S BLOGOSPHERE. OR NOT I'M LARGELY APATHETIC AS TO IT PER SE

ahahahah

Hoague Oxchest
GET OFF MY BOART

paraone
hey i think hes dead just a heads up

Lullabi posted:

read and lolled

rubber cat
Nacho Seung-Hui Libre

Laf Without Ceasing
toasterhead write for the front page

Fyadimir Noobokov
ahaha toasterhead is the only person in fyad who can write words people should read

keep your eyes on the road you dumb shark

Stripper Nipple Tassel
you are an rear end in a top hat

by The Finn

ValueWolf

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

lmao

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
bbchops

Atomo posted:

moonshine

j

Captain Pain. posted:

you are an rear end in a top hat

It's never too soon for literary discussion. In this case, I only fear it may be too late.

toasterhead

Lullabi posted:

read and lolled

T-Bozz Factor

[i]I was Ozz-Factor once...[/i}

toasterhead posted:

I am confident that you take a shot at revisng this play, perhaps even a ground-up rewrite. With some work, you may end up with some high-caliber drama.

moonshine

j

Atomo posted:

Bunny Cuddlin

----------------

toasterhead posted:

While death in and of itself is certainly a transformative change, as you and many of your classmates are no doubt aware,

Bunny Cuddlin

----------------

hahahaha

One Million Laffs

SPRING 2016 SIG SNEAK PREVIEW TY DENDY

you don

i've eaten more hot dogs than the number of cows that have ever existed times a billion
sq
can we just get this toasterhead guy on the front page already

JHVH-1

USE OF THIS PRIVATE COMPUTER OR NETWORK IS YOUR CONSENT TO BEING MONITORED
AND RECORDED PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(C) AND 2511(2)(D)

UNAUTHORIZED USE OF THIS SYSTEM IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND IS SUBJECT TO
CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. EVIDENCE OF SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED AND ILLEGAL USE WILL BE
GIVEN TO LAW ENFORCEMENT. ANY AND ALL UNAUTHORIZED USE WILL LEAD TO PROSECUTION
PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C.1030

toasterhead you rule the loving school

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dick Toucha

sdfsdf defended its merits in GBS

dont read my posts
Bloated Pussy
toasterhead i want to have your babies, but i am a man, so they must be man-babies

JHVH-1

USE OF THIS PRIVATE COMPUTER OR NETWORK IS YOUR CONSENT TO BEING MONITORED
AND RECORDED PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(C) AND 2511(2)(D)

UNAUTHORIZED USE OF THIS SYSTEM IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND IS SUBJECT TO
CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. EVIDENCE OF SUSPECTED UNAUTHORIZED AND ILLEGAL USE WILL BE
GIVEN TO LAW ENFORCEMENT. ANY AND ALL UNAUTHORIZED USE WILL LEAD TO PROSECUTION
PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C.1030

toasterhead posted:

While death in and of itself is certainly a transformative change, as you and many of your classmates are no doubt aware,

seriously lol

unironic pokémon obsession
Jumpman16

olhado4204lyfe posted:

sdfsdf defended its merits in GBS

link

RjY
goldmine eventually

ASK ME ABOUT MAKING A SICK BURN ON MY
TWITTER ABOUT VILE RATS DEATH FOR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED THREE YEARS AGO, PS CHECK MY RAP SHEET BECAUSE I AM MOST LIKELY STILL BUTT HURT THAT HE BANNED ME BECAUSE I POSTED PEDO ANIME BOYS

McCaine
im busy so ill read this later but toasterhead tl;drs are usually really good

crundy
nuggpuffer311

Atomo posted:

Very kind of you! I'm not so good with deadlines right now but if there's any interest from the editorial types it may be possible when the semester's over

toasterhead

lol this has to go on the front page

Frolixo
lol

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

HE ON THE TOILET

STEELERS KREW 2009

Albrot.Lionness.ScootsMagoo.The Young Homer.Fishblades.Grasshopperus.Gnarled Doodle.Stinkotron.Jumpman16.Kid Knee Bean.Deg.discstickers.Piss On Me Elmo(RIP).pre.Ronald Reymon.Hey!.McMurphy.LEG.Niggard Please.Mengus.Gookzilla.The broken bones.Fallout 3 Sux.dubdrome711.Roasted Donut.Blarfk.Giodo!.SteelFusion.Mornacale.SquirrelyPSU.esperantinc.Shadow The Rat.Darth Brooks.ham hock.Mahasamatman.DAS Super!.Raylen

toasterhead you are a delight!

Yad Rock

toasterhead posted:

With some work, you may end up with some high-caliber drama.

lol

AND HE HAD THE FACE OF AN ANGEL
Genderfuck time!

knight poop posted:

ahaha toasterhead is the only person in fyad who can write words people should read

he should be the only person on the forums who's allowed to post more than a paragraph because loving lol

AND HE HAD THE FACE OF AN ANGEL
Genderfuck time!

toasterhead i <3 u

by Fistgrrl

Dear Mom. Greg Died

----------------

This Isn't the Tenka-Ichi-Budôkai

Non-stop gash, penetrate that, the album went silver, celebrate that

Brawling Dad

Atomo posted:

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
maxnmona

ADBOT LOVES YOU
Adbot

Atomo posted:

A Boy and his Nigga

«3 »