Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

I recently purchased some software on eBay, and had to leave the seller some negative feedback. Shipping was late, there was zero communication and the software was advertised as new, but was obviously opened and home shrink-wrapped. The disc even had a partial fingerprint on it. The software may have been stolen off a truck or something, but I don't really know how to go about investigating that type of thing.

He/she had a great seller rating -- around 99% -- but I quickly found out why when they bribed me to remove the negative feedback. They offered me $30, and we would both go about our ways, but I refused purely out of self-respect. Even after refusing, the seller continues to offer me bribes, and it almost seems like they're trying to lure me into a trap of sorts.

Do you guys think there is something [more] fishy going on? I mean, this guy already a good seller rating and everything. What kind of action do you guys recommend I take before I jump into some hot water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Project Oni posted:

What kind of action do you guys recommend I take before I jump into some hot water?

Ignore him, forget about whatever you're worried about, and enjoy your new software?

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

chalk it up as experience and move on with your life.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Loopyface posted:

Ignore him, forget about whatever you're worried about, and enjoy your new software?

Exactly this. Don't get greedy, don't bother caring. Who cares if the product fell off the back of a truck, it's not like ebay is some shining beacon of purity.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Although for a bit of fun you could always update your feedback indicating that they tried to bribe you to remove it. Well assuming you can update your feedback. I haven't used E-bay very much.

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full

MonkeyBot posted:

Although for a bit of fun you could always update your feedback indicating that they tried to bribe you to remove it. Well assuming you can update your feedback. I haven't used E-bay very much.
Didn't know/forgot I could do that -- I'm definitely doing that, if nothing else.

dinosaur_sr.
Jan 17, 2006

lol

99% something isn't necessarily great, especially if he has a ton of feedback. If you really care you should go through it and see the kind of negatives others left for him.

Agree with the others though that say ignore his messages and just enjoy your purchase. Unless he really hosed you over don't bother with the negative feedback unless you just want to deal with more complications from him. I would probably just leave no feedback at all, or a neutral and explain that item worked, but was not new as advertised.

edit: woops, didn't realize you'd already left the negative. Done's done, just ignore him.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Legalities? What the gently caress are you going to do, sue them for compensating customers for their trouble with $30? Personally I'd describe my shopping experience as very positive if a seller was willing to give me cash money to avoid something so minor as making GBS threads up their feedback page!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Can't stop the funk.

So if I leave him a negative comment, I get $30? Score!

ohwandernearer
Jul 14, 2009

if you are buying questionable software off of ebay in the first place, I am missing the moral high road here. before I leave negative feedback, I always offer the seller a chance to make things right. 30 bills sounds like just the ticket to a smoothed-over ebay experience. I fail to see the problem here.

DryOatmeal
Jan 30, 2009

Farquar posted:

So if I leave him a negative comment, I get $30? Score!

What if the $30 is counterfeit

It's eBay, you get what you pay for.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn

If you're getting a deal on anything "new" on ebay chances are it was stolen, counterfeit, or repackaged somehow.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Can you leave a positive comment, get 30 bucks, then demand more or else youll change it back to negative? Or just change it anyway?

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn

No, you can't change your feedback (unless they've decided to change this in the past year - I doubt it). You can add to it, but you can't change positive to negative, and people just look at the number of negatives on someones feedback anyway.

1000 kilotheodores
May 1, 2007

You can't change your feedback, but you can remove it - for $30, it seems like a good deal to just take it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

i can't stop this feeling
deep inside of me

One day my item was a month late but when I received the item it had $60 inside it, basically paying me to take it off his hands.

It was a good day.