Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
u suck paterson
Jun 10, 2002

This thread is a scam
Recently it being my birthday and my parents not knowing what to get me, they decided to get me this

He is an articulated disembodied monkey head with touch sensors, light/movement sensors, stereo hearing and about 8 motors in his face to make his lips, eyebrows, head, mouth and eyes move independently. He is also programmable and can act as a guarddog.
More info about him can be found here + a video showing him in action.

He is pretty freaky, but what he needed was wheels. Luckily i just happened to have a roomba, so in a flash of inspriation the technology convergence that is the screaming monkey robot vacuum cleaner was born. It had to happen.

Click here to watch Robot-monkey-on-the-move

Click here to watch Robot-monkey-on-the-move-2

(apologies for the low quality video, its a sony digicam that did the movie capture)

edit: better quality vid

Dislodge posted:

Great videos! The horrors that science shall bestow upon us are only hinted at through your experiment.

I've used VirtualDub to bring up the light levels, hook the two short clips into one 30 second bit and drop the file size down to ~3 megs for the entire thing.
PutFile embedded link:
Click here to watch Monkey-on-the-Move
Direct link:
http://upload3.putfile.com/videos/1514395957.avi

u suck paterson fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katto
Aug 6, 2001

i drive good
Oh great, another thread about disembodied robotic monkey heads riding around on Roombas.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Oh Jesus christ that's disturbing.

quote:

Just don't make him angry as he will snarl, growl and scream. He can be calmed down by stroking or patting his head; but use caution when touching his ears or the back of his head, for that might make for one ferocious creature.

You're going to die.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That is both awesome and disturbing at the same time.

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
you lucky lucky sonofabitch. You have no idea how much I would love to have a articulating robotic chimpanzee head. Hell, I would have no further need for any more human contact or company. Just me and my chimpy head.

gently caress.

kindle
Nov 1, 2004
You know, your parents are pretty loving cool.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Cool for party laughs, I would hate to hear that fucker all the time while it vacuums.

Skillo
Aug 3, 2003
Jesus is coming! Quick, everyone look busy!
I LOVE it when the monkey bumps its head on the desk

That thing would give me nightmares for the rest of my life if it somehow activated and wandered around by itself at night

Katto
Aug 6, 2001

i drive good

Skillo posted:

I LOVE it when the monkey bumps its head on the desk

That thing would give me nightmares for the rest of my life if it somehow activated and wandered around by itself at night

You should attach it to one of those dolls for little girls that walks around on its own.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
I was expecting some horrible parody thread destined for the gas chamber, but you were actually telling the truth! I must say that is very loving disturbing. I WANT ONE! It just works so well together, you definitely are a genius!

u suck paterson
Jun 10, 2002

This thread is a scam

Surlaw posted:

Oh Jesus christ that's disturbing.

You're going to die.

It is beside my bed and makes chitter noises every now and then and when i get up its eyes follow me :gonk:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Ok ok, so why don't they make a HOT WOMAN rather than a chimp, you know to uuuuuh, vacuum things.

GTA
Feb 6, 2005

Internet Detective. Google is down.

Spatule posted:

Ok ok, so why don't they make a HOT WOMAN rather than a chimp, you know to uuuuuh, vacuum things.

Because thats a poo poo idea, you SICKO.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

u suck paterson posted:

It is beside my bed and makes chitter noises every now and then and when i get up its eyes follow me :gonk:

obviously to record your daily routine

I suggest to not do the same things at the same times everyday to throw him off for as long as possible.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I normally think stuff needs more monkeys, but this hoover monkey doesn't need anything! I'm gonna save up for one right now. Hello nightmares.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

GTA posted:

Because thats a poo poo idea, you SICKO.

It would sell...

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
That thing is straight out of a crappy '80s horror movie about evil toys.

Chromis
Feb 4, 2004

Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad.
Holy smoke that's awesome. Where can I get one? I must have one!

Stefka
Jul 10, 2003

Dr. Frog
Wow - that is disturbing as hell and fricking awesome at the same time. I'm just impressed that you have a Roomba.

^^And that picture of the Monkey without a face just made me re-think my decision to go for lunch. UGH!!!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Holy crap that's hilarious. Brilliant. Please allow the monkey to explore this world further.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
we need an army of these, STAT!

Stepping_Razor
Aug 3, 2002

Video one was so bad that I thought that you were biting the monkey. You weren't were you?

BajsErin
Nov 13, 2005

Oh God. That made me laugh way too hard. Your parents are awesome.

Make more monkey videso! The quality is good enough.

Livid Blue Couch
Oct 16, 2005

u suck paterson posted:

It touches your hair while you sleep.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
That made me laugh.

I need a monkey head on a roomba now.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple
In every horror movie involving mankind's creations gaining sentience, breaking free and taking over the earth, there's always a moment in which hubris-fueled scientists take the final step over the line and seal humanity's doom.

Somewhere, in a universe parallel to this one, a drunken late-night theater audience is watching you and screaming "DON'T MAKE THE MONKEY ROBOT, DUMBASS!"

Heed their warning before it's too late.

Grim Frostbitten
Aug 5, 2005

So cold.

plastickiwi posted:

In every horror movie involving mankind's creations gaining sentience, breaking free and taking over the earth, there's always a moment in which hubris-fueled scientists take the final step over the line and seal humanity's doom.

Somewhere, in a universe parallel to this one, a drunken late-night theater audience is watching you and screaming "DON'T MAKE THE MONKEY ROBOT, DUMBASS!"

Heed their warning before it's too late.

This is an old idea, but please remove the head and use it to replace the head of your realdoll instead. Post a video afterwards please.

Cornballer
Feb 27, 2005

ĄSoy loco por los Cornballs!
Why in the hell did they have to give it red eyes? Evil is fueled by the color red.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Chromis posted:

Holy smoke that's awesome. Where can I get one? I must have one!

They have them both at The Sharper Image.

bastardmonk
Jan 31, 2005
Hahahahahaha that is the dumbest yet greatest thing I have ever seen

Alucardshark
Aug 16, 2002

Cornballer posted:

Why in the hell did they have to give it red eyes? Evil is fueled by the color red.

But it vacuums faster!!!

jazzmegood
Aug 13, 2005

POPCORN GUN MAN
Some wonders lurk in this stuff.
EAT POPCORN! EVERYBODY!!

Fu_Manchu posted:

That thing is straight out of a crappy '80s horror movie about evil toys.

I thought the exact same thing. It looks like something that would be in "Doom Hose 2".

Ctiger
Nov 23, 2005
And the masters of the universe.
Imagine that activating itself during the night.

You'd wake up to the haunting sounds of the monkey vacuum.

:cry:

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

oh Glorious Technology!

what will we have next?

robotic shark pool vacums? Actually that'd be pretty sweet.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Looks cool. The vids make both my IE and FireFox crash though. :(

Mr.Mojo
Sep 11, 2001

Nascita di Venere
Hahaha those video are hilarious. It's like your home is now the jungle and the money is its champion.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hahaha holy poo poo.

Its like the long lost character to System Shock 2. Hahaha.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Oh my god. I have never seen anything so insane.

"Today I think I'm going to put an animatronic monkey head on a robot vacuum, creating a combination man has thus far only dreamed about"

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian
You and your parents have too much money. Go donate some to charity or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Oh my, that pretty much sells me on buying a Roomba, since my wife and I had actual mentioned trying one. Are they actually worth it, do they get the job done?

Of course, little does she know you can graft robot monkey heads to them, which would be my selling point :cawg: