Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
Haha, yeah that many would not be so great :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!
I just called the place, and they said that our ringer will be scanned in around 4(PST)

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

If the phone number's fake he won't get the parcel. Fed Ex will phone him for credit card info to pay the shipping. UPS did this for me when I ordered an iTrip from Griffin in America.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
Great thread. I hope he sends you some emails after he gets his new toy.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

quote:

Hazed_blue came out of the closet to say:
Did anyone save all of the "Powerbook" pictures and such? They don't seem to be loading anymore.

holy poo poo you need to learn to read. Insert R>C>P here and go back a few pages... there's literally a half dozen lists of mirrors.... holy crap.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
I think you should get his correct phone #, tell him you tried calling him to let him know the tracking #. You were very excited that the deal was nearly complete and wanted to tell him on the phone, but obviously you must have written down his phone # wrong. Then you at least have it for later use.

Lithium Hosting - Reliable, Affordable, Feature Packed Web Hosting
The only hosting company to offer 30-day Free Trial on top of a 90-day money back guarantee!

Give Lithium DNS a try, it's free and easy to use!

rottingcorpse
Dec 12, 2003

he's dead of course

quote:

bri came out of the closet to say:

Um, all of you calling this guys phone just after he gave the number to Jeff is surely going to make him suspicious?!?!

He's probably given the number for a sim card he'll never use, hopefuly.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

If he's in the UK then please think a little.

It's 10pm, he's probably got it turned off and might even be in bed.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:
I just called the place, and they said that our ringer will be scanned in around 4(PST)

So, assuming FedEx have a policy of shipping same day if the order is confirmed before 5pm, the package should arrive either Friday or Saturday. Depending on how accurate their tracking is, I think I might pay a visit to this internet cafe around the time of delivery. I mean, he's bound to open it behind the counter or whatever, right?

quote:

Edit Fast; Stop calling his phone! Ok its turned off thank god, dont ruin it just because you want to call the guy. What would you do if he did pick up? We have come so far.

Unfortunately, I think their phone will still show X amount of missed calls when they turn it back on.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

quote:

Dart came out of the closet to say:

Unfortunately, I think their phone will still show X amount of missed calls when they turn it back on.

Well here's hoping the mass goon-calling stopped before more than 3 or 4 went through, and the #'s will be unknown or however they show up in the UK and he won't think anything of it.

CthulhuBill
Aug 17, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Just say you were really anxious to call him. And you were traveling the country using other peoples phones. At the same time in different places ocasionally.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Godamn I want to see what happens here. Color me subscribed!

----------------

Mahnkiman
Jan 15, 2003

AHA MY CREATOR TOLD ME YOU MIGHT COME HERE ONE DAY TO DO STUFF. I MUST TERMINATE YOU
I just got done reading this whole thread after seeing it on the front page of GBS for days.

Bookmarked the tracking number page on fedex.com to see what happens next :)

rottingcorpse
Dec 12, 2003

he's dead of course

quote:

Dart came out of the closet to say:

AFAIK the phone has no way of knowing how many missed calls its had unless it's switched on.

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!
Here is his email with his tracking number:
Hello again!

Here is your tracking number. 846563452310. The package ID is 17913. The lady at the post office said that FedEx comes at 4:00pm to take shipments. So in about 2 hours it will be scanned in the fedex thing I guess and you can start tracking it. I shipped it express, so it should be there in 2 to 3 days.

Also, the post office lady asked what it was, and I didn’t want to lie, so I said laptop computer. When she said how much it is worth, I said, it is a family gift, but she said I couldn’t do that. She said I had to tell her how much I paid for it. I don’t want to get in trouble for mail fraud, or evading taxes or anything so I told her $2000. I am sorry if that means you have to pay more. Since I screwed up, I will share the cost with you. Please let me know how much it was, and just have the escrow service refund you half of the amount. Can they do that? If not I will gladly send you how ever much you spent on it. You can even have the escrow hold my payment until I send you money for what you pay.

I hope this doesn’t make you want to cancel. As I’m sure you noticed, no one ever bid on it and it didn’t sell. I really need the money, so I am willing to work with you how ever to complete the transaction.

Thank you my friend!

Jeff

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Fairly certain that if the phone was off it won't record missed calls, because they're stored on the phone, not the network.

sneakymango
Apr 28, 2004

BLAMMO
very good call with telling him right now about the value declaration.

alone with what seems like just about everyone else here, i cant wait till we see how this plays out =)

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

quote:

Refugee came out of the closet to say:
Fairly certain that if the phone was off it won't record missed calls, because they're stored on the phone, not the network.

That is how my phone here in the great white north works. I assume any cellular service network would work in roughly the same way.

Lukano fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 28, 2004

LukeNukem
Feb 4, 2004
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

quote:

latest email

Yeah, that's quite a good idea.
Awaiting reply/next dramabomb.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

Lukano came out of the closet to say:

That is how my phone here in the great white north works. I assume any GPRS/GMS/AGP/PGP/RIAA/WTFLOL network would work in roughly the same way.

Well I'm on Orange and it doesn't do that, but they now text you to say "Free missed call alert!! From (number) at (time)", but again, I don't know whether that'll work if it's off or not.

Orange are the only people who do it, so you've got what? A 1/5 chance of it happening.

Bad_Mojo
Jan 11, 2002

OH MY GOD, THE EYES!
Best thread in a very long time. Can't wait to see pictures of this place.

rottingcorpse
Dec 12, 2003

he's dead of course

quote:

Refugee came out of the closet to say:

Well I'm on Orange and it doesn't do that, but they now text you to say "Free missed call alert!! From (number) at (time)", but again, I don't know whether that'll work if it's off or not.

Orange are the only people who do it, so you've got what? A 1/5 chance of it happening.

The number is on Virgin.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hopefully everyone has stopped calling. Am anxiously looking forward to some Live Video Feed of the event. Much love to London Goons.

----------------

Dr.SchadenFreud
Jul 16, 2003

I'm going to have to give you some of my "special medicine..."

quote:

Here is his email with his tracking number:
Hello again!
<snip>
When she said how much it is worth, I said, it is a family gift, but she said I couldn’t do that. She said I had to tell her how much I paid for it. I don’t want to get in trouble for mail fraud, or evading taxes or anything so I told her $2000.
<snip>

Thank you my friend!

Jeff

Good job on giving him the heads up. Now he has time to turn tricks, scam someone else, or do whatever else he can do to raise the money before the package arrives. Nearly laughing myself out of my chair now.

edit: Still laughing. When he opens the package...oh.my.god. Hilarity!

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

rottingcorpse came out of the closet to say:

The number is on Virgin.

Oh, we're saved then. Virgin are wank, Girlfriend was on them for a while, but moved to O2 because the phone would ignore incoming calls and stuff.

IT'S OK! Carry on!

When thingy gets back home with pictures of the place, we'll need to find a website for it. This is going to be loving awesome.

Beef Tube
Mar 28, 2004

ffffffffff
SUBSCRIBED!

Excellent work, Jeff... this can only be good. Voting a 5, cant wait for live video feed... =]

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

Dr.SchadenFreud came out of the closet to say:

Good job on giving him the heads up. Now he has time to turn tricks, scam someone else, or do whatever else he can do to raise the money before the package arrives. Nearly laughing myself out of my chair now.

That and it seems more realistic, and he won't be shocked/scared by the tax.

Unixmonkey
Jul 3, 2002
it took me nearly two hours to read this whole thread.

The anticipation is likely to ruin my sleep, and any plans I had tonight.

Curufin
Oct 6, 2003

Guardian of the Blind
This thread just keeps getting better and better. I wholeheartedly salute you MyNameIsJeff for providing all of us with a thread that delivers more than we could have ever imagined.

You rock. :dance:

wargasm
Mar 4, 2004

Hey, would you do me a favor?
another post in this thread; it's brim-full of anticipation for antics to make lowtax proud and horny for more of the same. this is most pleasing, and I surely hope london/UK goons are standing by, ready to nab pics of this guy/girl/thing when the package arrives. s00t!

evilhanz
Mar 5, 2002
I've enjoyed this thread very much, but there is a fatal flaw in the plan. He will pay the duty with a stolen credit card. Let me repeat that. He will pay the duty with a stolen credit card. Sure, he'll be annoyed, but this won't actually cause him any financial loss. Sorry.

guandi
Feb 7, 2004

I won't go into detail about
the :roboluv: dreams, but at
least they are not as scary.
Oh man, I am *SO* There!

I have sweet FA to do on friday and saturday, so if anyone else is gonna be there let me know and we'll meet up.

best. thread. evar.

edit: will donate some lubberly $$ to the cause when i get payed.

Ping 127.0.0.1...
Request Timed Out.

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!
New email:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 2:32 PM
To: MyNameIsJeff
Subject: RE: Problem with shipping

OK I will email you when I will received
Also do you have any other laptops?I have a friend ho is interested..Please let me know.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I BET YOU WILL EMAIL ME!!!!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

evilhanz came out of the closet to say:
I've enjoyed this thread very much, but there is a fatal flaw in the plan. He will pay the duty with a stolen credit card. Let me repeat that. He will pay the duty with a stolen credit card. Sure, he'll be annoyed, but this won't actually cause him any financial loss. Sorry.

yeah well hopefully there will be a picture of him doing it from team bravo that can be posted on the net. Almost as good.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

OK, I have good news and bad news. btw, thanks for all the concern but 1st thing I did when I got in was alter my p/w. I figured it was worth running the risk, but I guarantee you this is me, not the scambarber.

The bad news is about the photos. Just had a quick butchers at them - lousy cheapo cam doesn't have a screen - and they ain't so hot. In my defence, it is damned difficult to take snaps from underneath a barber's gown or a computer desk. Also, this cam is a horrible piece of crud with no image-stabilizing or anything. I'll autobalance them in PS and then sort out hosting for the very few that are even worth the effort.

On the plus side I picked up a fair but of HUMINT. For a start, the street map is misleading. The entrance to the shop is actually on the Edgeware Rd. The address given is a grotty little non-street that the properties back onto. Do we care? Well, I dunno if FedEx or UPS or whoever we're going with use GPS, but if the two streets have different postcodes and the driver just follows his GPS he might go straight to the back entrance, so that would bear watching. That said, I still think he'd end up out front because the back of the properties are totally anonymous afai could see, he would have no way of knowing which one was which. Plus there's high walls and bins and it's all very unprepossessing.

OK, so, the shop itself. Two barber chairs, four or five very cramped terminals downstairs and, I think, some upstairs too. Big window, easy visibility inside from without. Under the window (on the outside) is a mailbox for `9B' but there is no way on Earth our man is going to get a laptop-sized package in it. Were I the delivery guy I would take one look at that and then go into the shop and ask. Oh, the shop also sells toy guns for some inadequately explored reason.

The owner, or at least the guy in charge while I was there, is a black guy in his mid-20s (estimate). Credit where it's due, the haircut he gave me was of a pretty good standard (not a bad barnet, for Barnet). Not the sharpest knife in the box and he has some odd ideas relating to the police.

[They have a TV there and while I was being barbered the news story came on about a nurse here in the UK, who's been arrested - or tried, i forget which - for murdering four of her patients. Whereupon my man expressed incredulity that they could possibly know that and went on to say that he thought Harold Shipman probably only actually killed `one or two' people and that a serial rapist of the elderly currently plagueing London, who has been confirmed as of Caribbean descent by DNA tests, probably `only' actually raped one person. Although that, he tells me, `is bad enough'.]

I am a notoriously bad judge of character but I have my doubts that this is our man. He doesn't strike me as a scammer, for all his other faults. That isn't to say that I couldn't well imagine him taking a cut (no pun intended), but I don't think he's the real culprit.

No-one else turned up there for a haircut. When I arrived (and when I left) a big black guy (who looks just like the cook who has a heart attack in Crimson Tide) was listening to banging choons on one of the PCs and a pasty, ginger sort was on one of the others. While I was there a rather skanky looking Kappa-slapper came down from upstairs - she was clearly a regular btw, a bunch of schoolkids arrived and went straight upstairs - also well known to the owner. In fact, now I come to think about it, everyone there but me seemed to be a regular. Oh, and a dude in a red t-shirt (photo'd - badly) also came d'stairs and left the place.

The street itself is - well, it's the Edgeware Rd. Rub-a-tug shops, takeaways, pool halls, minicab firms and dodgy boozers. There is a Wetherspoons pub right next door to the shop. That could be handy if - on the day of arrival, and assuming the package didn't arrive before opening time - we could occupy seats by the window with a good view. Waiting in the warm with a beer sounds infinitely preferable to shuffling about on the pavement in the pissing rain. Not sure about local parking restrictions but it ought to be possible to park up in a position with a good view of the entrance too, at reasonable times of day.

The scenario that presents itself as plausible - although it is arguably pointless to try and predict these things - is that UPS man (or whomever) will end up going into the barbernet cafe, with his delivery. If I was our scamboy, I would make a point of heading for the place - assuming I didn't own it - when tracking suggests delivery is imminent. That would be ideal for our purposes because a goon watching the front, one watching the back and one inside, all with mobile `phones, could pretty much sow that location up. Apart from a parked car or the pub there are no real vantage points sadly. Of course, what would be ideal for any `capture-the-moment-when-the-long-arm-of-SA-reaches-out-&-touches-someone' exploits would be a couple of yuppie-goons with Wifi laptops and webcams.

Anyway, I shall go and find hosting for my crappy (and apologies for that to all waiting with barely contained frustration) pics. This post is already WAY too long.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

*subscribed* This was exactly what I needed to liven up my work week. Thanks, MyNameIsJeff!

----------------

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

quote:

New email:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 2:32 PM
To: MyNameIsJeff
Subject: RE: Problem with shipping

OK I will email you when I will received
Also do you have any other laptops?I have a friend ho is interested..Please let me know.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I BET YOU WILL EMAIL ME!!!!!

This just keeps getting better... unbelievable! :)

MyNameIsJeff
Dec 5, 2003

P-P-P-Powerbook.com!
AIM from smitz6969:

smitz6969: maybe I could nick it back and frame it

MyNameIsJeph: nick it back?

smitz6969: 1. take pic of his face as he open it 2. punch face 3. steal laptop back

:lol::lol:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Email nothign, I suspect you'll hear the scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

quote:

AIM from smitz6969:

smitz6969: maybe I could nick it back and frame it

MyNameIsJeph: nick it back?

smitz6969: 1. take pic of his face as he open it 2. punch face 3. steal laptop back

:lol::lol:

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!