Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
IdeoPraxist
Jan 29, 2004

Creating Ideas for Good and Evil

quote:

MyNameIsJeff came out of the closet to say:
Check this out:

Well isn't that nice! The guy I reported hacked an account, and the person that just won is a fraudulent account as well! yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdeoPraxist
Jan 29, 2004

quote:

vegaji came out of the closet to say:
I'll try to quickly recap it for those that do not want to read a couple thousand posts.

...lots of good blah...

That's about where we are now.

Thanks vegaji. I lost track of this huge thread, so your summary is appreciated.

IdeoPraxist
Jan 29, 2004

quote:

Starbucks came out of the closet to say:
wait, does this means its going to be delivered tomorrow???

If so im THERE

ANYONE WANTING TO MEET UP FOR THIS PLEASE EMAIL ME craig.peters@astrominia.com put in the subject [SA] and it will be flagged for my attention

- AT LEAST 1 PERSON TO KICK THE GUY IN THE BALLS AS WE STEAL THE POWERBOOK

Are you saying that the goons mug the scammer for the P-P-Powerbook?

Funny, but I'd be careful. If this character has any street smarts, he will be carrying a weapon.

Yet, if you succeed with the mugging, you might as well clean him out, strip him naked and duct tape his nuts to a dumpster (torrent with pics mandatory).

IdeoPraxist
Jan 29, 2004

Congratulations everyone, you are now Internet legends:

http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/33088

quote:

An American Ebay seller realises a European bidder is trying to scam him out of a Powerbook (fake escrow site, hijacked ebay account), so he sends him something far better, a P-P-P-Powerbook! Now, for you non-techies here, a factory model p-p-p-powerbook weights half what it's competitors weigh, comes with an A4 screen, the latest in internet adventure software, zero boot time, a fullsize keyboard (often with Key RedundancyTM) and a state-of-the-art laser bluetooth mouse. This is technology. The seller posts to a forum and amongst the chatter people follow the package via the the Fedex tracking page and some even visit the delivery address (a barbershop/internet cafe) and take photos, video, and a seat for their hair cut. The duty tax on this particular p-p-p-powerbook is around £350 (paid for by the scammer) before he sees the package, and a few days later it's released by Customs as they watch in anticipation. A forum member arrives at the internet cafe, takes a seat and soon the package arrives. The scammer opens the box and there are angry raised voices heard. The barber doesn't understand what's wrong and asks... "Is it broken?"

Forgot to post some of the praise you are getting:

quote:

Thanks, holloway, this is fantastic!
posted by Zonker at 7:51 PM PST on May 13

Sheer genius. This is truly the best of the Web.
posted by keswick at 7:53 PM PST on May 13

Heh. The keyboard spells out 'U FAG', 'LOL'. Good old somethingawful.com.
posted by tapeguy at 7:55 PM PST on May 13

Dude, that touchpad has two buttons. Anybody have a sharpie? I wish to upgrade my Powerbook.
posted by Stan Chin at 7:57 PM PST on May 13

His name is Kk-k-en and cc-coming to Kkk-k-kkill you!
posted by nasim at 8:03 PM PST on May 13

God Bless the Intarweb.
posted by fillsthepews at 8:08 PM PST on May 13

Holy sweet heaven. That was absolutely the most fun I've had in weeks. And all I did was read read read.

that's hysterical--very well done turning of the tables. : >
posted by amberglow at 8:22 PM PST on May 13

OMG I laughed my rear end off
posted by mikojava at 8:45 PM PST on May 13

awesome!
posted by palegirl at 8:49 PM PST on May 13

[this is very good]
posted by Vidiot at 8:53 PM PST on May 13

Ack, I started getting ye olde forum payment nag at page 25. Now I'm partway in and can't finish! I even kicked in the ten bucks!
posted by MegoSteve at 9:10 PM PST on May 13

Great post!
posted by anastasiav at 9:26 PM PST on May 13

Oh, that's priceless.
posted by GriffX at 9:40 PM PST on May 13

Rad. Just freaking rad.
posted by eyeballkid at 10:00 PM PST on May 13

excellent! great post!
posted by joedan at 10:08 PM PST on May 13

Someone should pass this on to the fine folks at Apple's design department!

"A1 outsscamming! Will check the site again!!!"
posted by riffola at 10:11 PM PST on May 13

Pentel inside
posted by prodigalsun at 10:36 PM PST on May 13

Toxic levels of good!
posted by LinusMines at 10:51 PM PST on May 13

Also, someone else on SA forums proposed the "notebook" computer idea. Kudos for pulling it off, but its like this was a forum activity more than a personal one. scary.
posted by skallas at 11:30 PM PST on May 13

Now I'm badly waiting to see if the buyer will actually respond to the last email.
posted by phyrewerx at 11:34 PM PST on May 13

This is wonderful.
posted by pemulis at 11:53 PM PST on May 13

That's hilarious. Good to see a scammer getting scammed. eBay does need to get it's act together, it truly isn't proactive enough in taking down scammers.

Thanks for the link, holloway!
posted by Salmonberry at 12:01 AM PST on May 14

That was wonderful! Thank you!
posted by brism at 12:14 AM PST on May 14

holloway has restored my faith in this site. that was pure posting gold.
posted by chunking express at 12:16 AM PST on May 14

It's easy to dismiss SA, but when you get right down to it, they host some of the funniest/silliest stuff on the web...
posted by gen at 1:48 AM PST on May 14

Pretty ballsy for a law-abiding citizen to send a package internationally claiming to be a thing of value when it's not. He's pretty safe since the scammer is not going to complain. The only other party that might have a problem is British Customs and Excise as they handled a package with a bogus valuation and levied duty accordingly. But I'm sure they wouldn't complain either -- it netted HMG a couple hundred quid from an unpleasant character, which is surely a good thing. But in our hero's shoes, I wouldn't have done it -- which means I'm either a lot less nervy than he is or I think too much, and probably both.
posted by George_Spiggott at 1:51 AM PST on May 14

I should add that he did it in the sure knowledge and belief that he was never going to see any money -- and can document the fact of that belief with his ongoing correspondence prior to the act, which presumably means in law that criminal intent can't be shown -- which is a lot more than the other guy can say.
posted by George_Spiggott at 1:54 AM PST on May 14

I wish that I had more nerdy friends to pass the pure, webby goodness of this story to.

Even so.... pure comedy gold - like candid camera, with balls.
posted by dash_slot- at 2:56 AM PST on May 14

classic. thanks
posted by matteo at 3:06 AM PST on May 14

This is good stuff, scamming scammers is the sweetest revenge there is.
posted by fenriq at 7:43 AM PST on May 14

substrate: He didn't settle it out of ebay. He saw it for the scam it was and decided to screw around with the guy. He then reported the guy to ebay for trying to scam in this fashion.
posted by ODiV at 7:53 AM PST on May 14

It's dead now. Anybody got a mirror?
posted by Johnny Assay at 8:14 AM PST on May 14

This is good stuff, scamming scammers is the sweetest revenge there is.

I liked the one a while back where someone followed up on a 419, got the scammer to meet him at Dubai Airport, and got a couple of mates to stake him out and take photos (couldn't find a link, sorry). Like this one, a little anti-climactic, but funny when you imagine the look on the scammers' faces when they realise they've been had..
posted by etc at 8:36 AM PST on May 14

Pretty ballsy for a law-abiding citizen to send a package internationally claiming to be a thing of value when it's not.

It's not the value that's the problem, it's lying about the contents. Theoretically, he could have called the binder a work of art and put any value on it he saw fit.

eBay certainly has its share of problems with getting on top of things, but outside of the initial canned email i would say that they weren't in the wrong here. The second email certainly is more to the point.

IdeoPraxist fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 15, 2004