Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
Directed by: Kar Wai Wong
Starring: Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung Chiu Wai

In the Mood for Love is set in Hong Kong during the 1960s, with the rising turmoil of the region serving as a political backdrop for the narrative. The two main characters, played by Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung Chiu Wai, are newly arrived neighbors who both discover that their spouses are having an affair together. From this, they start their own relationship, at first to try and understand how their marriages failed, but eventually discovering they have a deeper connection that just their spouses’ betrayal. They work together on martial arts serials together until Tony’s character is sent to Singapore on an assignment for the paper he works at. From there, they eventually drift apart, but always remember and cherish the counsel they gave each other.

It’s a pretty simple story, but the flawless execution breathes a unique energy into the film. Kar Wai is at the top of his game on this project; never allowing the film to fall into melodramatic excesses, and constructing a graceful and sincere narrative out of the simple premise. He structures the film through visual motifs and the beautiful soundtrack by Mike Glasso and Shigeru Umebayashi, allowing for the repetition of thematic and formal elements to build upon the narrative. The pacing is also key to the film’s success. It never feels rushed, and always maintains an engaging momentum, even in parts that would lull in the hands of a less capable director.

The film was made without a real shooting script, and the spontaneity of the production is captured well, particularly in the performances of the two leads. Both provide subtle but easily readable performances, and demonstrate great character growth throughout the film. Maggie Cheung begins as cold and unreceptive, but opens up as the characters’ relationship develops and eventually ends. Tony Leung Chiu Wai maintains a sincere warmth throughout the film, but also develops a wise perspective as the film progresses.

Cinematographers Christopher Doyle and Pin Bing Lee create beautiful visuals to complement Kar Wai’s smart direction. They capture both a sense of nostalgia and discovery in capturing the look of the sixties through a warm and exotic palette. Reds and oranges are used to enhance the growing but taboo romance between the two characters, and neon greens and yellows capture the modernity and upheaval of the period. Delicate uses of soft focus augments the feelings between the characters as well.

In the Mood for Love stands as one of the greatest films of the new decade, and confirms Kar Wai’s talents as a world-class director. Although the genre and subject matter might be off-putting to some audiences, it’s worth taking a look. This film succeeds where other melodramas and romantic films fail, never growing sappy or artificial, and exhibits some of the freshest, most exciting filmmaking seen in a long time.

vertov fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad infinitum
Oct 11, 2001
All things shining.
Heh, I was just thinking about posting a review of this film, but you said everything I wanted to say better than I could. This is a subtle film, and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed when I watched it the first time. Of Wong Kar-Wai's work, I had only seen Chungking Express and Fallen Angels, and so I wasn't expecting something quite as understated as In the Mood For Love. However, when I returned to the film later, I appreciated it much more, to the point where it is now one of my favorite movies.

When I say the film is understated, I don't mean it in a disparaging way, but only to contrast it with most other "romance" movies. In the Mood For Love is infused with an incredible romantic spirit, an ounce of which outweighs a pound of manufactured drama or over-the-top sentimentality. Whenever Maggie starts walking down the stairs in a beautiful dress, slow-motion, with the music playing in the background, it takes my breath away.

I'm really looking forward to seeing 2046. I'm betting it's gonna win some awards at Cannes, if not the Palme D'Or, especially since Quentin Tarantino, a fan of Wong Kar-Wai, is heading up the jury.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
:greencube: