Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestro
Aug 14, 2002
Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Michael J. Fox; Christopher Lloyd; Lea Thompson; Crispin Glover

This is one of those must-see films from the 80's. If you've never seen it, buy a one way ticket and get the hell out of Moscow you commie pinko.

Marty McFly (Fox) is a typical underachieving teenager in a purposefully-generic suburban town in 1985. His friendship with the town's hermit-ish eccentric old "mad scientist" Dr. Emmet Brown (Lloyd, perfectly cast) leads him to witness the good Doc's newest invention, a DeLorean with a flashy time travel conversion!

After a small test conducted by the Doc, in which his dog "Einstein" becomes the world's first time-traveller, Marty is stunned not only to see that the Doc has finally invented something that WORKS, but he's invented something truly unbelievable with huge possibilities.

The moment of euphoric success is immediately ruined by a series of events that takes Marty on a trip into the past, to 1955. Marty inadvertently meets his high-school age parents, changing his past, and has to appeal to the young 1955 Doc for help in correcting his paradox and getting "Back To The Future." Obviousily, the young Doc knows nothing of time machines, and is hard pressed to even believe Marty's crazy story.

Watching this movie a couple times through, you notice a few nice little touches. Like Twin Pines' Mall becoming Lone Pine's Mall (on the sign) after Marty blew over one of them escaping the Peabody farm back in '55.

Different 'universes' of sci-fi have different ways of dealing with time travel and how things happen when the past is changed. In the BTTF universe changes happen slowly, like a ripple in a pond. Newspaper headlines fade a few seconds or minutes after the event is changed, depending on the severity of the change, I suppose. As with any fanciful depiction of the complete disregard for the laws of physics, suspend your disbelief and the movie will explain itself well, without falling away from the great story. Speilberg & Zemeckis do a great job of keeping the story character driven, leaving the science to only those listening for it.

Can't recommend this one highly enough.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

One of the best trilogies of all time.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Easily one of my favorites of all time, top 20 for sure.

I never noticed that Twin Pines > Lone Pines thing before, great excuse to watch it yet again.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
First was amazing.

Second was possibly even better!

Third was disappointing.

5s for 1 and 2, 3.5 for the third.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
This is in my top 10, definitely.

I love this movie; so many good moments and so well thought out.

Rated 5, no question.

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
one of my all-time favorites, robert zemeckis is a genious director and thank the lord for michael j. fox.

this is a box-set definetly worth owning

Meglar
Jun 9, 2002
One of my favortie films of all time. It's a good comedy, its a good science fiction move, its a good date movie, it does so much right.

OmniDistortion
Feb 7, 2004
Comedy, action, drama, and science fiction all in one. A classic.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
This is my favourite film, the single greatest ever made.

Fijimunkii
Sep 11, 2001

four twenties
It doesn't get much better than this when it comes to fun family comedies. Everyone will get a laugh at this. And what's this, PG HUMOR? Gotta love it!

5/5

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The first film is easily one of the greatest 80s films ever. It's funny, its smart, its time travel laws and rules make sense and never insult the audience (and provide small details you're likely to miss first time around) and its stood the test of time remarkably well.

The second film tends to be one long product placement and rather gimmicky, but it still enjoyable.

The third film contains much less sci-fi but overall I'd have to say I enjoy it more than BTTF2, which I consider the worst in the series. (BTTF2 also contains a time travel plot hole that I wasn't too happy with.)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I used to think BTTF3 was pants, but that was when the only opportunity I had to watch it was on TV with all the adds, censoring, and lovely quality. When I watched it on DVD for the first time, it moved a lot faster and the photography was much better. I also noticed a lot of neat stuff I never saw before and came to appreciate the movie a lot more. I suggest all the BTTF3-haters go out and rent the DVD, it's worth another look.

Oh, and Part II > *

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Another Easter Egg of sorts:

The high school faculty member with the megaphone in the scene where Marty is auditioning for the Battle of the Bands is in fact, Huey Lewis himself.

"I'm sorry, it's just too loud for us."

HERTZ DONUT
Nov 25, 2003

by Fragmaster
Part II was my least favorite, but these are all at least 4/5 or above. Michael J. Fox especially is perfect in all of the "stunned and exasperated" moments.

blairerickson
May 18, 2002

by Eris Is Goddess
I was shocked at people who don't like 2 as much or more than most of the series. 2 is the greatest.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

quote:

JamieMadrox came out of the closet to say:

this is a box-set definetly worth owning

You said it. My favorite boxed set by a longshot.

Aloha Alex
Apr 28, 2003
This is one of my favorite movies of ever.

"GREAT SCOTT"

dotti
Sep 7, 2002
Sometimes I say things...
Awesome movie, with plenty of humor and drama. This is one movie I wished would never end.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
agreed on nearly every post in this thread, truely amazing film :D , everything was perfect :) :cool:

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
A classic.

"drat, where is that kid? drat. drat drat."

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I'm suprised always at the number of people who think Part III is the definite lesser of the three movies. It's got a lot of homages to old west movies, with the same likeable characters/villians of the first two movies.

In my opinion, all three are must sees, I guess if you don't like westerns you probably won't like the last one though.

in circles
Feb 7, 2004

physics, physics, physics.
Definitely one of my all time favourite films. I never get sick of watching it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
One of the few movies I think that deserve another trilogy to complement the first.

Five stars.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
No self respecting nerd's dvd collection would be complete without this box set. The deleted scenes for parts one and two are excellent and add a lot to the overall product.
5/5.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Not only was the first one, great, but the other two were as well.

I want a mother loving hoverboard. And Jaws 15.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
BEST. MOVIE. EVAR.

I'm trying to restrain from using the "GREAT SCOTT!!" macro image. But, Back to the Future is one of my favorite moves of all time.

By the way, the DVD set of all the movies is WELL worth it. I thought the special features were some of the best on any DVD I ever saw.

Great movie. 5/5.

Cyb
Apr 30, 2004
heh
one thing I especially like about the boxed set is that it's set up like a regular dvd case, it opens like a book instead of being one of those cardboard foldout thingies which annoy the crap out of me... anyways all three are great movies, even if the second one is something of a rehash of the first one, though it's still well done (I really liked how he goes back into events that take place in the first movie)

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

Easily one of my favorites of all time. This is one of the movies I watched every day as a little kid.

5/5

Scorpion
Oct 2, 2000

The Netherealm Christ
The most timeless film trilogy of all time. All movies deserve a 5/5.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

quote:

Scorpion came out of the closet to say:
The most timeless film trilogy of all time.

Oh I would beg to differ...

This trilogy rules. Nothing would make my year like a BTTF 4. Screaming 1.21 Gigawatts in science class never gets old.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
When I bought the box set, I accidentally got full screen.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

blitzoid came out of the closet to say:
When I bought the box set, I accidentally got full screen.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
That sucks. :(

What sucks almost as bad is that I got the widescreen version immediately after it was released. For those who don't know, the first run of the widescreen version has improper framing on the second and third movies. One of these days I'm going to quit being lazy and send off for my replacement DVDs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I agree with all these fine people, the boxset is truly one to own. Ranks right up there with my Futurama seasons and Indiana Jones boxset.

Incidentally, the third BTTF contains my favourie piece of dialogue, when Doc and Marty are looking at the photograph of the gravestone which now has Marty's wild west persona's name on it. Marty says, in classic Doc bewildered tones, "Great Scott" to which Doc replies "I know, this is heavy," perfectly executing a switcharound on a joke played all the way through the first film.

Weeatherhead
Sep 25, 2003
poop
In the same league as Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

quote:

videogames came out of his DeLorean to say:
...when Doc and Marty are looking at the photograph of the gravestone which now has Marty's wild west persona's name on it. Marty says, in classic Doc bewildered tones, "Great Scott" to which Doc replies "I know, this is heavy," perfectly executing a switcharound on a joke played all the way through the first film.

The irony is that I never noticed the turnaround until I watched with the commentary on and they pointed it out to me. The commentaries on these three discs are fascinating.

Chey
Dec 22, 2003
Best trilogy by far. Watched this so many times and NEVER get bored. Been my favourite movie since i was a kid.

Voted 5/5 by me

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Definite 5.5 for me. My favorite movie when I was a kid, and I still love it. :)

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
Wow, I didn't notice the twin/lone pines mall thing either. I've watched all three movies several times. In fact, I base "most" of my time travel theories in sci-fi movies on the BTTF model. This may sound far fetched, but Terminator 3 (and many other time travel based movies) might not have come out (or had been as good) if it wasn't for this movie. I definitely give it a 5/5

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Voted 5. Really enjoyable all the way through. Even the 3rd one, which is basically a western between the first and last 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folex
Jun 29, 2004
take the candy cane out of your mouth
My favorite movie of all time. It's one of those films you could watch over and over and never get tired of it.

5.5/5