Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
Directed by: Thomas McCarthy
Starring: Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannavale, Patricia Clarkson

The Station Agent has to be one of (last year's) best films. It's a movie about finding peace with oneself and unique friendships. Finn, a dwarf played by Peter Dinklage, has a quiet acceptance for who he is, and after his place of employment shuts down because of the owner's death, he moves to a piece of land he inherits in Newfoundland, New Jersey. There, he meets Joe (Cannavale), a man so desperate for company he is hilarious in his inability to get the hint to just shut up, and Olivia (Clarkson), a grieving woman who has lost her son.

It may seem almost boring, but the dynamic these three develop is uncanny and completely entertaining. No movie has left me with such a great feeling than this film, whether it is loving the countryside or just the company of good people, this movie rocks the house.

5/5

It's on DVD June 15th, buy it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raf
Feb 11, 2003

Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.
I saw this movie together with my wife, and afterwards she said in an astonished tone: 'Why, I thought you always hated this kind of film.'

So what makes The Station Agent appealing to a guy whose viewing usually oscillates between Futurama, Monty Python, Babylon 5 and Hellraiser?

All three protagonists are quirky, but likeable characters, and believably portrayed by capable actors. I have to admit that I first thought the casting of Peter Dinklage in the main role to be a gimmick, but it works out surprisingly well, mostly thanks to the ability of Dinklage and his collegues to avoid cliche. The Station Agent is not the film about "the good cripple vs the mean non-handicapped people" I feared it to be. It's more like a variation on that age-old theme 'No man is an island'.

The pacing is excellent. There isn't much happening, but at no point I had the feeling the movie could have used some more editing.

The only minor quibble I have with the movie is that the character of Joe Oramas stays somewhat vague compared with those of Finbar and Olivia. On the other hand a deeper exploration into his relationship with his family might have overladden the movie with 'character problems'.

Set and music fit the general tone of understatement of this movie.

It can't get much better than this.

5/5

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

This movie felt more like reading a really good book than watching a movie. It's quiet but never boring. The actors portray deep emotions without ever becoming maudlin or melodramatic. The best thing I can say about these characters is I wish these were people I knew.

Though it's a completely different story, the feel of this movie reminded me most of Local Hero, which is one of the great sleeper movies of all time.

5/5

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I saw this movie back when the hype for it was very hypeful. I immediately felt, "if this movie didn't have the person of short stature (or whatever the PC term is now) then no one would be talking about it."

It's a boring boring movie. I chuckled once. Just didn't have much interesting or very believable.

On that point, it's just average.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Very good acting but I found the story boring for nearly the entire length of the film. There's a few decent scenes, mostly at the beginning of the movie, but they don't really make up for the rest. Aside from the height of one of the characters, the movie is plain,tiring and just not interesting.

edit: I enjoyed some of the stuff about train fanatics and wish the movie would've spent more time revealing that subculture... instead of dry melodrama.

Bloated Pussy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Strange and almost taboo idea but was executed rather well by the director. My only problem is I found the woman to be way too irrational to be even a slightly believable character. One scene she is kissing Finn and fondly tucking him in to bed, twenty minutes later she is screaming "FINN GO AWAY I'M NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND" when he drops by for a visit. A little while later they are best friends again. I believe it is later revealed that her excuse is "drugs" or "ex husband" or something :downs:. Joe and Finn in particular were great characters and whoever acted Finn was terrific. I loved two scenes in particular: One, the scene where Joe asks Finn if he has ever had sex with a normal-sized woman. The way Finn visibly bristles at this question is great. Two, the amazing bar scene. If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about.

4/5