Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Directed by: Peter Jackson
Starring: Peter Jackson, Mike Minett, Pete O'Herne

This movie is Peter Jackson's (Lord of the Ring films) first feature length movie. It was made on a $20,000 budget and it took around 4 years to make (give or take a few months). Anyone who has seen this can notice it's influence on the Lord of the Ring movies.

Anyway, this movie starts off with a shadow-y figure getting an urgent phone call that a small town in New Zealand is being taken over by aliens (The bastards have landed). This figure then calls upon "his boys" to take care of the situation. "The boys," led by Peter Jackson himself investigate, find, attempt to take care of the situation. The aliens, whose purpose here on earth is to reap the planet of human flesh because it's the new eating fad in all the inhabitated planets except ours, eventually kidnap a con artist and are going to use him as the taste test for the aliens on earth. Basically, "the boys" end up trying to save the con artist and end up at an all out WAR with the aliens.

Like I said above, this was made on $20,000 and it's very obvious, but that shouldn't distract you from enjoying the hell out of this movie. There are a lot of creative deaths in this movie and above all else; plenty of gore. I saw this before I had any idea PJ was directing LOTR, but for some reason, after hearing the news, and watching this film... I felt at ease, like I knew he'd do LOTR perfectly. I think he succeded...

I want to give this 5/5, but it's just not as perfect as it should be... so 4/5 it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falling star
Oct 20, 2003

soehow voted first. Yay?

I also gave it 4/5. It was a VERY good movie and if you see the special features on the DVD Peter Jackson is a filmmaking GENIUS.

There's nothing I can think thats wrong with it, it's just not a 5/5 movie, Great movie, funny and cool, but 4 will do.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
top line z-grade schlock trash. amazing movie. 4.5/5.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I thought it was terrible with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. It wasn't funny, it wasn't scary, it was just boring. I guess the scenery was nice at least.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
Really bad, but the absurd gore redeems it from being utter crap. 2/5

Kidavenger
Mar 28, 2005
This movie was terrible.

Imagine a retarded A-Team vs. aliens; now imagine it's slow, boring and not funny in the least; that is what this movie is.

There is no reason for anyone to watch this.

1/5

needle exchange
Jul 3, 2004

Sweat. When it's hot, baby.
I was forced to watch this movie by a terrible nerd who equates extreme campiness with absolute genius so he thought it was the greatest movie ever made. He would laugh at the movie and then look at me as to elicit a reaction which was typically a forced chuckle or a sigh and a 'jeeeez!' He put his hand on my thigh and left it there for a few seconds before I excused myself and went to the bathroom to contemplate this new development. It was akward. The whole experience was awful and I will never go over to his apartment for green tea again ever.

I know a lot of you internet people are into the whole it's so bad it's good thing, and that works occasionally but not always and definitely not this movie. It was so bad it was just bad. Good on New Zealand for making their first movie though. I guess you can't expect much out of it, because they were still working the kinks out of this crazy new medium. It's kind of like how people thought Jack Benny was really funny back in the day, but he actually sucked. It's the novelty of seeing a jew on your TV set for the first time that did it, not the actual content. That is why people like this movie. It's like your first tv jew.

.5/5

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Kidavenger posted:

Imagine a retarded A-Team vs. aliens; now imagine it's slow, boring and not funny in the least; that is what this movie is.

This is what should be written on the back of dvd case.

This movie is unforgivably bad.

0/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
The supplementary DVD is far more interesting to me than the film itself. The making of stuff really does show an extremely clever Jackson at work. The guy baked the alien heads in his oven and built loving wood steadicams IIRC.

Unfortunately, the genius behind the film cannot compensate for the patchwork nature of the production. Jackson chipped away at it for years and it shows. The pacing is glacial and stilted to me. Still, he had a vision and saw it to completion, while I can barely get out of bed some days.

It does manage to have some pretty funny moments, so comedy points for the barf drinking and sheep death and other stuff.

Let's be honest - Dead Alive is the greatest splatter movie Jackson has made or will ever make. It's probably the best in that genre and a much better representation of how twisted he really is. Feebles is also sick, but not good in the same way as Dead Alive.

2/5 for hinting at what was to come and being an impressive feat of homebrew production.