Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Newbie
Dec 11, 2002
Directed by: Stephen Frears
Starring: John Cusack

It's hard to categorize this movie into a specific genre, because it combines some of the best elements of many genres. It's sweet like a romance, funny like a comedy, and captivating like a drama.

First, let me say that this is one of my favorite films.

Cusack plays Rob, a record store owner, who goes on a journey to find out what he really wants out of life. Perhaps one of the best things about this movie is that his character really undergoes some change by the end -- something we don't see in many movies nowadays. Jack Black and Todd Louiso, the record store's two employees, are massively hilarious wings to Cusack.

Cusack's character is far from perfect, but his flaws are so realistic that you're easily able to identify with him. Personally, I think he could post a great e/n thread. This adds so much to the movie.

Oh, and Iben Hjejle is hot. One more reason to see this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Cusak playing that same character that he always plays seems to really work in this movie. The record store coolness and the lists were also in this movie's favor. JB is also a huge bonus.

5/5

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Rather overrated, if you ask me. It's no Grosse Pointe Blank. Be aware that my opinion on this movie is not a popular one.

2/5

Powerglove
Aug 4, 2003

One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. The scene with Bruce Springsteen is especially memorable for me. A great movie that presents a bit more realistic view of relationships.

5/5

AlterEgo
Jul 17, 2001

Keep it brief citizen. There's crime to fight!

quote:

mkay0 came out of the closet to say:
Cusak playing that same character that he always plays seems to really work in this movie. The record store coolness and the lists were also in this movie's favor. JB is also a huge bonus.

5/5

Couldn't have said it better myself. Plus the scene when Tim Robbins' character comes in the store totally fooled me the first time I saw it and always makes me crack up pretty good.

moneyandrobots
Dec 22, 2003

Follow directions.
Quite possibly my favorite movie. The characters are very well done, and it stays true to the book.

5/5

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

I thought the main character was a prick and the whole 'we are so trendy we work in a record store and hate customers' poo poo is overdone.

2/5 manbabies.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

quote:

moneyandrobots came out of the closet to say:
Quite possibly my favorite movie. The characters are very well done, and it stays true to the book.

5/5

You mean apart from moving it 5000 miles across the Atlantic?

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
One of my favorite chick flicks ever.

John Cusack is just amazing as usual and Jack Black is quite the charmer. :love:

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

WHAT loving IAN GUY?!

Great film.

5/5

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

This is the movie that alerted me to the greatness that is Jack Black.

Also, Cusack is loving excellent, and the deleted scenes on the DVD are SO worth watching.

quote:

Nevett came out of the closet to say:
WHAT loving IAN GUY?!

Crazy Newbie
Dec 11, 2002
Oh yeah, one more thing: best soundtrack evar

CorporatePunk
Sep 24, 2003
kick out the jams!

quote:

LowJack came out of the closet to say:
I thought the main character was a prick and the whole 'we are so trendy we work in a record store and hate customers' poo poo is overdone.

2/5 manbabies.

The main character wasn't supposed to be an angel, gently caress. And the elitism (is that a word?) of the record store employees does come up that much, how is it overdone? Anyway, this is a really great movie. One of the better adaptations i have seen. If you've read Hornby's book and liked it, you'll probably enjoy the film. Great cameo by The Boss.

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Great soundtrack, great plot. Enough for me to give it a 5.

TheAngry One
Aug 8, 2003

I'd swim through a river of shit with my mouth open to suck the dick of last bloke that fucked Natalie Portman
This is definately in my top five (no pun intended ;)) movies of all time - and I like a lot movies! When I first heard that they were moving the setting over the pond to Chicago, I thought that they would butcher it (no offence America, but Hollywood has a habit of loving good stories up :(), but thanks to great direction by Frears, and superb performances by all the cast, it kept very close to the book. Hell, a lot of the dialogue in the film is almost identical to that in the book - a feat most films-based-on-books tend to overlook.
I must of watched the dvd a load of times, and each time, right at the end, I always feel a little uplifted, possibly down to the great music in the film. I just wish I could erase it from my memory so I could watch it for the first time again.

5/5.

#"The night Laura's daddy died, sha-na-na nanana"#!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
This is one of my all time favorites. Great characters(gotta love the elitists/scenesters) and great story about maturity and how relationships really are. This movie showed the part of the relationship most movies refuse to touch, the time after the meeting/love at first sight/honey moon phase, and for that it achieves greatness.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
Awesome movie, but the book is so much better. That's to be expected though, I guess. I really recommend reading the book if you liked the movie, it's so quirky and funny. 5/5!

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
I preferred movie over the book actually, but that was possibly just my being able to identify with a 1990's Chicago character rather than a 1970's Brtish one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just rewatched my DVD of this and once again confirmed to myself that this movie is the top of best, I just love it. Hilarious, great acting, well-written, has everything a good movie needs. And I'm sure I'd like to watch it with a lady friend should I ever get one. This movie has it all.

And now one or two of my favorite quotes from the film:

"CHARLIE! YOU loving BITCH! LET'S WORK IT OUT!"

"Why'd you have to tell her about the store?" "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was classified information. I mean, I know we don't have any customers, but I thought that was a bad thing, not like, a business strategy"

Plus I just like the multiple times throughout the movie when somebody mentions that the music playing is good and Rob just responds with "I know."

5/5

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
5/5

And it's on my list of Top 5 Cusack movies.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
I've loved this movie since I saw it in the theater. Cusack should write some more movies

5/5

Mr. Vandemar
Feb 4, 2004
Croup and Vandemar, the Old Firm, obstacles obliterated, nuisances eradicated, bothersome limbs removed and tutelary dentistry undertaken.
3.5/5 - I liked it, but I didnt like it. An above average flick.

sexgeny
Sep 19, 2003

I liked this movie because of the way the plot developped, using lists and fantasy sequences. The oddball record store crew was enjoyable. Didn't like Lisa Bonet's version of the Peter Frampton song. I agree that Grosse Point Blank was a much better movie, but this was pretty good too. The last scene with Jack Black singing "Let's Get It On" is officially the last thing that Jack Black has done that I did not hate.

4/5

Morse
Jul 11, 2001

everyone's out to get you motherfucker
Definitely one of my favourite movies. Between the movie and the book Rob is definitely someone you can connect with. Also I don't think Jack Black has been funnier in any other movie.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasty Nate
Dec 15, 2003
Dude, that was TNT.
I loved Grosse Point Blank, but I think this is John Cusack's best film. The little things about the movie make it so realistic (record store employees really do hate your taste in music, believe me) and Rob's journey through his top 5 relationships ("chronological order") show the many different types of girlfriends one can encounter in life. Jack Black and Todd Luiso kick rear end and Tim Robbins is great as well ("I need a second opinion"). Some of the best dating advice ever: "It's not how you're like, it's what you like. Movies, books, television, call me shallow, it's the fuckin' truth." I may have hosed up the quote, if so I apologize but yeah check out the movie bye.