Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Directed by: Sergio Leone
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach

This is the third of Sergio Leone's spagetti westerns and, in my opinion, the best. It features three main characters: Blondie (Clint Eastwood), Tuco (Eli Wallach) and Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef). Excellent acting from all three in their parts, especially Lee Van Cleef as the snarling bad guy. Although the music is a bit harsh on the ears sometimes, it is fantastic and memorable. Almost three hours long, it does take some time to watch, but it is worth it.

It follows the three main characters through parts of the Civil War, in search of a treasure told to Tuco and Blondie by a dying soldier. Each only knows half the information so they must work together to find it.

It is an incredible movie. A lot of the minor characters voices are dubbed because it was filmed with Italian extras, but it does not detract from it. It can be slow at times, so if you're impatient you might not enjoy it, but with that said, if you haven't seen it yet, you are missing out on not just an amazing western, but an amazing film overall.

Ayeeeayeeaahhhhhh!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
Spanish extras methinks. But yeah, brilliant movie - rated 5.

hooty chips
Nov 23, 2003

by Lowtax
That's my favorite western I even love the music it kicks rear end!

inveratulo
May 14, 2002
wat
I love this movie from beginning to end :)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Definitely one of the classics of moviemaking. Quite a lot of people have seen it, and many movies made since throw some sort of nod to this movie.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

quote:

Arm Unit 700 came out of the closet to say:
Spanish extras methinks. But yeah, brilliant movie - rated 5.

Italian extras. Hence it was a "Spaghetti Western"!

Oh yeah: 5/5

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Not just a great western, but a great Civil War movie too.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Blown up with dynamite

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 6, 2004

Plate of Shrimp
Jul 7, 2003

liquor and whores, ciggrettes and dope, and mustard and baloney, and liqour and whores
Put in an unknown grave

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 6, 2004

MillDaKill
Aug 19, 2003

How could you Carl?
This is a great movie. Thought I must say I like For a Few Dollars More even better.

5/5

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!
This is probably the most watched Sergio Leone film, I'd wager. Heck, I just watched it last weekend...for the millionth time. Watch this film and you'll want to see it more than once, too.

Initially, Leone wanted Charles Bronson to play the part of Tuco ("the ugly"), but using Eli Wallach was a far superior choice in my opinion. It gave this film some comedy and casting Bronson as Tuco would have hurt Bronson's chances to play the Man with No Name in Leone's later film "Once Upon a Time in the West".

There is a real kinship between Blondie and Tuco in the film, even though their friendship is harsh and rivalrous at times. Their relationship is the driving force in this film.

My only criticism with this film is that the Civil War scene drags a bit at points, but other than that, this film is awesome. The cinematography is beautiful and powerful. The acting is excellent, and the characterization is wonderful.

Like other Leone films, the characters at the beginning of the film are introduced with little dialogue and a great deal of action. There's really no dialogue, in fact, for the first 20 minutes of the film. You won't notice it, though; you'll be too engrossed in the film.

Drinking game option: Take a shot every time Tuco says the word "pig".

5/5 hombres.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

JamMaster Flash came out of the closet to say:

Italian extras. Hence it was a "Spaghetti Western"!

Oh yeah: 5/5
Sorry. Spanish extras. "Shot in the deserts of Spain with 1,500 Spanish Militiamen as extras."
It was filmed in Spain by an Italian.

5/5 though
I own the whole trilogy

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
i prefer once upon a time in the west honestly, even though it can be too slow for some people.

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!

quote:

Bob Mundon came out of the closet to say:
i prefer once upon a time in the west honestly, even though it can be too slow for some people.

"Once Upon A Time in the West" was Leone's best film, in my opinion. ADD folks won't like it though.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

A truly excellent Western. I slightly prefer For a Few Dollars More in the trilogy, but this is top-shelf filmmaking.

5/5 Bullet-Riddled Corpses

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - 4.9/5

Incredible scope for a western. The amount that the movie successfully ties into the story is impressive, not to mention the dialogue is amazing. There are so many throw away funny-rear end lines that after 30 some odd viewings I can still hear something I've missed like, "play that fiddle, you." The only reason I wouldn't give this a full 5 is because I preferred the relationship between Clint and Van Cleef in for a Few Dollars More to the relationship between Clint and Tuco.

...it's hard though. Where I feel Tuco can be hard on the nerves, he totally balances it out in the scenes with his brother.

For a Few Dollars More - 5/5

Optical Inch fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 12, 2004

Gimmick
Jan 12, 2004

quote:

MillDaKill came out of the closet to say:
This is a great movie. Thought I must say I like For a Few Dollars More even better.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The civil war scenes were astonishing in their scope. Voted big big big.

I still want a western GTA3 clone.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Rated 4 because "For a Few Dollars More" was better.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Rated 5.5 because it was better than A Few Dollars More.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
The music, camerawork, and character all contribulte equally in this film. Just amazing. I will stop whatever im doing if this is on. Someone else said it, a great western and Civil War film.

free
Jul 22, 2001

I just picked up the special edition of this movie and its amazing. Picture and sound so crisp and clear.

5/5

bhscomics
Jun 8, 2004

I've got some bad news, I'm... Gene Parmesan, how ya doin'?
A classic, too bad no other weterns are even in the same league of Leone's masterpiece.

HRPrognsnuf
Dec 9, 2004
Lu Lu
Considering I think it's my favorite movie ever made, I gave it a 5.5. Very few westerns even come close, but I would put Hang Em'High, For A Few Dollars More and Once Upon a Time in The West as close companions..notice that two of which are Sergio Leone films, and the other one is directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Clint. The Searchers and The Shootist are some of my other favorites.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Though a pretty good movie, it is dragged on too long. The civil war scenes are a lot of this, but wandering around in the desert is pretty boring too. Not a whole lot of action compared to the wandering around, quite different from the first two movies in the trilogy

Watching this movie and For A Few Dollars More together can be confusing because Lee Van Cleef is a bad guy in this one, and a good guy in Dollars.

Clint seems much less badass in this one than he does in the other two in the trilogy because of how he is dragged around by 'the ugly', which really detracts from this movie for me. He is really a different character in this one because he is rarely in control and is often used by the other characters.

A good movie by itself, but it is a disappointing finale for the first two. 4/5

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I took an unnecessarily long amount of time to see this, because I don't like westerns, and in general, I'm not a big Clint Eastwood fan. But I loved this movie anyway. Just the badassness and the story isn't too shabby and.. well, it kicks rear end.

5/5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

One of my all-time top 100 movies. Spectacular and supremely entertaining. Funny, tense, exciting, gripping. What really amazes me about this movie is the way Leone uses the frame so masterfully. I can't even imagine how someone could watch this film in anything other than the original aspect ratio.

Rating: 5/5

Hubudooba
Aug 3, 2004

laggin and teabaggin
5.5 One of my top 10 faves of all time.

The actors and sets and costumes were a departure from mainstream westerns. At first people might have been uneasy with the new feel, but soon warmed up. The Wild Bunch was an American western that followed with a similar gritty feel.

"My Name is Nobody" and "Once Upon a Time in the West" were two other truly great westerns, one a comedy, the other a gritty flick with a good story. -and may have their own threads...

But the king of them all is definitely TGTBATU! I love using lines out of that film "there are two kinds of people in this world my friend... *finish as appropriate for the situation*)

I have seen it sooo many times that now I sometimes watch it in spanish. Its an amusing way to learn spanish...

And a word on the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. Incredible. I have bought a few of the soundtracks on CD (fistfull of $ is one). The trumpet at the climax of the gunfight scene gets me off!

BTW, Fistfull of Dollars is a remake on Yojimbo, a samurai flick by Kurosawa. Remade again as Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis. /me shuts up.

Hubudooba fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 13, 2004

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I've never watched a better climactic duel in my life, and for that I am eternally grateful of this film.

The "trio" duel is comparable only to the Luke vs. Vader ESB duel in terms of the total immersion of atmosphere, cinematography, music, tension, etc.

It may not be perfect, but I haven't seen one hit closer to the bullseye yet.

5/5

crazychicken
Dec 15, 2004
i love the spaghetti western trilogy, this film is second to For A Few Dollars More in my book but it has a great ending and Tuco is the best character in all 3 films
Lee Van Cleef did a good job Angel Eyes but i didnt like seeing him playing a different character after For A Few Dollars More; took away part of the roaming guns for hire character that drift the west and whose paths cross from time to time in the pursuit of the same goal - money. Thats my only real gripe with the film, plus i didnt really like the bridge scene, thought it dragged politics into a story where they are irrelevant. (although that was the point i thought it was better represented by their capture and imprisonment)

4.5/5

Tardis
Jun 24, 2004
Great Film. Facial expressions by Clint Eastwood. Civil War Scenes tight as a mofo. Character chemistry and casting, great.

5/5

geezersteez
Dec 10, 2004
from now till infinity
That movie is gangster. The way those old western's are directed with the up close face shots is tight.

5/5

Borderline
Dec 27, 2003
Got Blow?
This is my favourite movie ever and I :love: the young Clint Eastwood

legstump
Feb 26, 2004
At some point, everyone needs to see this film.

In The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, the style Sergio Leone had been developing in Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars more is writ large: massive, expansive, sparsely populated landscapes juxtaposed with sweaty, sunburnt, grizzled faces staring each other down in mythic confrontations. The story of three double-crossing outlaws searching for a cache of stolen civil war gold is elevated to an epic odyssey by the powerful combination of Leone's precise framing, his ingenious editing, and Ennio Morricone's justly legendary music.

A simple story, yes, but Leone crams more kick-rear end setpieces into their intertwining journies than you can point a pistol at: the opening shootout in a eerily deserted down which will come back to haunt the The Ugly (Eli Wallach); a bizzare scam in which The Good (Clint Eastwood) repeatedly rescues The Ugly from execution in order to drive up his reward money; a desert sequence which reminds me of nothing so much as Lawrence of Arabia, complete with a runaway wagon that appears as an angelic saviour but veers towards the macabre in an instant. And this all before the intermission. Just when you think you have seen all the tricks he has up his sleeve, Leone pulls out all the stops for a brilliant Civil War sequence, which in the hands of someone of lesser skill and ambition, would contain enough ideas for a film on it's own.

And of the final showdown in the graveyard, there is little more to be said than it is the greatest moment I have ever seen in a movie. Sitting in a packed theater, seeing the duel on the big screen with restored picture and remixed digital sound blowing away a jaded crowd is the best film going experience I have ever had. If you get a chance, see this in the cinema - Stephen King said it best:

quote:

On a movie screen, projected through the correct panavision lenses TG, TB & TU is an epic to rival Ben Hur. Clint Eastwood appears roughly eighteen feet tall, with each wiry just of stubble on his cheeks looking roughly the size of a young redwood tree. The grooves bracketing Lee Van Cleef's mouth are as deep as canyons... The desert settings appear to stretch at least out as far as the orbit of the planet Neptune. And the barrel of each gun looks to be roughly as large as the Holland Tunnel.
All in all, this is one of the best films ever made, cementing Sergio Leone as one of the best directors that ever lived.

5/5

Max Nitwit
Sep 11, 2001

I miss the 80s.
Blondie: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. We cut down my percentage - uh, cigar? - liable to interfere with my aim.
Tuco: But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco.

Honestly one of the finest films I've ever seen. Certainly a leading contender for the title of "Finest Western Ever Made".

I suppose this needs some clarification, so here goes: There may be more dramatically sound Westerns out there (Once Upon a Time in the West, The Shootist, and The Outlaw Josey Wales, to name three), but none that are quite as fun as this one. The only one that comes near it in terms of sheer enjoyability is El Dorado.

5/5

Square
Feb 27, 2005

by Fistgrrl
This film is incredible. What pushes it over the edge for me is Morricone's incredibly original score.
5.5/5

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Really great film and a must-see for any film buffs. My only complaint is that it drags a bit in the middle on subsequent viewings. However, the duel in the graveyard at the end makes up for it. It's one of the greatest sequences ever put on film, in my opinion.

4.5/5

FreshTapCoke
Jun 10, 2001

The truth will set you free
Growing up, I remember seeing my father watching this movie and wondering how he could watch something so boring. It wasn't until a few months ago that I finally purchased this movie, and a few weeks ago that I actually watched the entire movie.

My prior Leone repertoire consisted of only Once Upon a Time in the West. I recall reading a lot of reviews here going back and forth whether Once Upon a Time or Good the Bad and the Ugly were the better Leone film. After watching Once Upon a Time I was convinced that he could not have made a better movie, but I was wrong.

Two things that I liked in this movie are the music and, something mentioned on the commentary, that despite there being clear character designations, everyone's morals are not set in stone and are more representative of mankind than past black/white westerns. The example given is that even though the man with no name is the 'Good' character, he uses Tuco to swindle counties out of reward money.

The music is what really puts this one up with my favorites. Ecstatsy of Gold and The Trio are such awesome tracks. There is no dialogue during the final showdown but it doesn't seem that way because the character's eye/hand movements and the music are all that is needed to convey what they are thinking and feeling.

I sure hope my kids have better taste at that age than I did.

The Kung-fu Yeti
Jul 5, 2004

by Ozma
I love this movie. I never thought that I'd like Westerns, but when I saw this I liked it right off the bat. It just seems so right. The American West was a pretty lawless time, and this movie captures it perfectly. Before this, most Westerns had black and white characters and situations. There were the good guys and the bad guys. 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' is far more ambiguous. Yeah, there's a Good and there's a Bad, but it's still far more blurred and grey than most stories of this genre. For instance, Blondie loving leaves Tuco in the desert and takes the money for himself. John Wayne wouldn't do that.

This movie is best known for it's theme song. This is, quite possibly, the greatest piece of film music ever made. It's so instantly recognizable; even those who have never seen 'TG,TB,&TU' will know this song. When I saw this movie for the first time, I was like "Holy poo poo, so THAT's where this song comes from!"

I give this movie a 5.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornballer
Feb 27, 2005

ĄSoy loco por los Cornballs!
This movie is visually stunning. There are certain scenes in the movie where no words are spoken and it has such a huge impact on the viewer. A lot of people point out the score but I don't think the music would be nearly as effective if it wasn't for the incredible visuals that go along with it.

This movie is definitely a 5/5.5

Cornballer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 15, 2005